This Wand Update is Pretty Bare Bones - 8/3

Main Street USA

No amount of Disney Magic make-up will fix that LaL tragedy of poor planning. The only hope is removal and relocation....with nice landscaping of course.

Not everyone thinks it's poor planning. There are several that think they're a beautiful addition to the entrance plaza. ;)

maui2k7

Not everyone thinks it's poor planning. There are several that think they're a beautiful addition to the entrance plaza. ;)

From what I understand, about 500,000 tiles were sold of the roughly 750,000 available slots or about 67%. If you figure 3 people on average per tile, that would mean about 1.5 Million people thought it was a good addition and worth the money.

That being said, betweem 1999 and 2007 roughly ~60 Million people visited Epcot (granted a decent percentage are repeat visitors). Bottom line is that if the LaL was moved, it would be a minority that would complain as only a fraction of the visiting population felt it was worth the money.

Disney can still keep their end of the bargain and just move the LaL plaques to another part of the park that is not so contraversial or in many folks view - poorly thought out.

GymLeaderPhil

From what I understand, about 500,000 tiles were sold of the roughly 750,000 available slots or about 67%. If you figure 3 people on average per tile, that would mean about 1.5 Million people thought it was a good addition and worth the money.
Many of the tiles we're given away to those whom booked packages and Cast Members.

Main Street USA

That being said, betweem 1999 and 2007 roughly ~60 Million people visited Epcot (granted a decent percentage are repeat visitors). Bottom line is that if the LaL was moved, it would be a minority that would complain as only a fraction of the visiting population felt it was worth the money.

Disney can still keep their end of the bargain and just move the LaL plaques to another part of the park that is not so contraversial or in many folks view - poorly thought out.
I wasn't arguing the tiles so much as I was the look of the monuments. The tiles weren't exactly advertised all that well. A lot of people didn't even know what they were.

The monuments themselves do a fantastic job of accenting the shape of Spaceship Earth. They keep with the symmetrical idea of Futureworld. Now, with the wand up there, the effect was ruined.

Believe me, I know I'm in the minority here. I just like them, that's all. :)

The Mak

I read on one of the popular imagineering blogs (either reimagineering or Epcot Central) that the guy who originally designed Epcot Center's entrance also designed the Leave a Legacy entrance. However, he didn't include the ridiculous painted monoliths on the legs of Speaceship Earth. It was a cheap, after the fact 'addition' to LaL and it shows.

cupanudles

I read on one of the popular imagineering blogs (either reimagineering or Epcot Central) that the guy who originally designed Epcot Center's entrance also designed the Leave a Legacy entrance. However, he didn't include the ridiculous painted monoliths on the legs of Speaceship Earth. It was a cheap, after the fact 'addition' to LaL and it shows.
FYI, the poster also said in the same comment that the leave a "bad" legacy was supposed to be made of clear plastic, not stone, so one would assume that cost-cutting gave us the horrible entrance we need to change now.

Main Street USA

Now that I agree with. The painted legs are just awful.

cb3k

Whenever they get to taking down the stars they should really do something about this too.
Wow...Thats much dirtier than I envisioned. It's probably all of the smoke particles that are rising to the top from the fires that take place during the SSE attraction...:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom