Things you never understood about the parks, that maybe somebody can explain

thomas998

I'm sure there are "business" explanations, BUT, I have never understood when the MK is jammed to the eyeballs with people, why many of the QS restaurants are "seasonally" closed. It certainly does not add to the magic to have to practically fight for a place to sit down and eat while other restaurants are sitting there closed and empty. It would make sense if there were fewer people in the park, but when it is so crowded the acres of parking lots are full---well, go figure. It certainly makes no sense to me and does not make me a happy consumer.

But then QS is cheaper than the sit down places so maybe its a cunning plan for create chaos at the QSs that are open so you'll be more likely to spend more and hit the sit down places.

rob0519

Why must we have so many of the same kind of ride (i.e. Flying Carpets of Agrabah, Astro Orbiter, Dumbo, Triceratops Spin) for the kids?

Probably because there are so many young children in the parks. A for or five year old is not going to go on Space Mountain. I personally don't think they have enough rides for younger children in the parks other than MK.

Matt_Black

Why do Disney so readily invest 300 million (production and advertisment) on dross like John Carter of Mars and Tommorow Land, that lose the company millions - yet don't deliever one 300 million dollar attraction in the last decade at any of it's parks .

Because John Carter was awesome, and I'll challenge anyone who says otherwise to a wiffle bat duel!

JordanNite

Because John Carter was awesome, and I'll challenge anyone who says otherwise to a wiffle bat duel!

But it also made Disney a loss of over 200 million dollar. As did Tomorrow World. Lone Ranger also lost somewhere in the region of 200 million dollars.

Why not just invest 200 million in a ride?

lazyboy97o

Why do Disney so readily invest 300 million (production and advertisment) on dross like John Carter of Mars and Tommorow Land, that lose the company millions - yet don't deliever one 300 million dollar attraction in the last decade at any of it's parks .
Films generate direct revenue and attractions have not in 30 years.

mergatroid

Original Poster
But it also made Disney a loss of over 200 million dollar. As did Tomorrow World. Lone Ranger also lost somewhere in the region of 200 million dollars.

Why not just invest 200 million in a ride?

I'm pretty sure they didn't expect that to happen though did they? It's not they were sat in a meeting and somebody said "I know, you'll love this guys. Let's produce a movie that loses around $200 million instead of spending that amount on a new attraction" :rolleyes:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
In the attraction Enchanted Tales with Belle....how does Lumiere work? I mean this one bit on imagineering is honestly one of the smallest and yet breathtaking AA's I have ever seen. The fluid movements and the face projection are flawless. I balked at going into this on our last trip but I just sat there in amazement watching him.
I believe one of the "chat with the Imagineers" videos mentioned they brought in a Swiss watchmaker or something of the sort.

JordanNite

I'm pretty sure they didn't expect that to happen though did they? It's not they were sat in a meeting and somebody said "I know, you'll love this guys. Let's produce a movie that loses around $200 million instead of spending that amount on a new attraction" :rolleyes:

The point is there is always a risk with movies (along with rewards). The theme park division has shown if you build they will come. Yet, we so no investment in the parks.

People say they are two seperate divisions, but they are controlled by ONE company, and ONE CEO.

Why not divert one set of 'LONE RANGER' movie and invest in the parks once a year?

mergatroid

Original Poster
The point is there is always a risk with movies (along with rewards). The theme park division has shown if you build they will come. Yet, we so no investment in the parks.

People say they are two seperate divisions, but they are controlled by ONE company, and ONE CEO.

Why not divert one set of 'LONE RANGER' movie and invest in the parks once a year?

I think you mean "No investment that you like". Right now there's been extensive maintenance in the MK, Avatarland is currently being constructed along with a huge project called Disney Springs. We're probably talking a lot more than $200 million there too so 'no investment' isn't strictly true. more likely 'not investment that pleases you'.

I'm not completely blind to your point though and my original reply was a little tongue in cheek if I'm being honest.

Matt_Black

futurama-morbo.jpg

Businesses do not work that way!

JordanNite

I think you mean "No investment that you like". Right now there's been extensive maintenance in the MK, Avatarland is currently being constructed along with a huge project called Disney Springs.

Ridiculous.

Any maintenance comes out the millions the parks generate throughout the year, rather than pulling on some injected capital to keep their upkeep.

If you believe Disney have been investing in their theme parks over the past decade then i'm afraid i can't even continue any conversation with you.

lazyboy97o

Ah, but they do work that way. At the end of the day Bob Iger controls the company and can divert funds to where he so wishes.
Wrong. Absolutely and completely wrong. There are distinct legal entities with their own accounting, all of which must follow various laws and regulations. Bob Iger is also not the one sitting there making every single decision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom