Things you don't get

IWorkWTeeth

I have to agree with the Bear Country Jamboree! The animatronics are old and very outdated!

LOVE pin trading (yes, it is expensive but the kids have so much fun!!)
LOVE turkey legs!!!

I guess the reason so many things stick around for so long is because, like these posts, everyone loves so many different things!

FanofDinsey1981

DisneyBunny said:
One of the few things I have tried hard to get, but have failed, is why everyone loves Illuminations so much. I love the music, and the fireworks parts/inferno barge part are wonderful... It's just that stupid globe that irritates me every single time. It's too far away from just about every vantage point around WS, and while I've got 20/20 vision, I still can't make out what the heck those images on the LCD panels are supposed to be, other than the horse. Often we sit and stare and try to make some sense of it all, but just give up and wait for the fireworks to resume. I dunno... Just my opinion.

I agree! and it seems like it takes forever for the globe to get to the center of the lagoon....it needs more fireworks! more explosions! more....excitement!

Edeyore said:
CommandoMickey that is probably the best description of why people like Stitch that I have read here.
I agree totally. Great job CommandoMickey!!

CommandoMickey said:
why people dont like stich. hes pretty much the last really successful hand-drawn character disney has had, which is why they have used him so much. hes appealing to both boys and girls, which is hard to do. hes silly, hes funny, he playfully irreverant, hes unique. hes the bad-boy of the disney world! i guess most people are just annoyed with him being EVERYWHERE

banimall

One thing you have to keep in mind is it's not necessarily the ride or show itself but the feeling you had when you were on it. One particular trip with my dad, he kept bugging me about going on that stupid Swiss Family tree house. He wouldn't stop talking about it all day so we finally went on it. About half way up I asked him why he wanted to go on this thing and that it was the worst attraction in the park, he looks at me and said that he remembered taking me on that attraction on our first trip to Disney when I was 5 years old. I kept my mouth shut the rest of the day and let him pick whatever he wanted.

ChipnDaleGal

I never got the whole pin trading thing because I thought it was a passing fad when it first started several years ago. During my last trip in February, I realized how long it's been going on for, and now I kind of wish I had started collecting the pins. I usually pick up a couple on each trip, but then I lose them as soon as I get home so my lanyard would be pretty empty! :hammer:

Enderikari

Adreamisawish said:
Walt designed his parks to be timeless so you could discover something new you hadn't seen before if you were lucky enough to go more than once. I don't think he ever meant to get rid of any rides or features. I think he meant to keep the old and develop the new without getting rid of what is already there.

Please tell me that you are joking... Walt closed at least 5 attractions in his Disneyland in the 11 years that he was alive to help guide its decisions... In fact, the original plans for DL called for NO attraction to last longer than 7 years. Disneyland was designed to be a place where Walt could continously remove, add, or change things to appeal to whatever new audiences he could.

Disneyland, and especially Walt Disney World were never meant to be museums

musketeer

RonAnnArbor said:
3. The absolute tackiness of the Primievel Whirl ride area at AK

What I don't get is that people can't seem to understand that is the point of this area. I think it is brilliant. A small town trying to capitalize on the fame brought to them by the dinosaur institute.

Just recently, the FBI was digging for Jimmy Hoffa in a town just a few miles from my house. The town is nothing but a small town. But all of the sudden, the shops were staying open late, they were selling T-shirts, and trying to capitalize on its 15 minutes.

That is exactly the point of the Dinoland USA. It is supposed to be as tacky as possible.

Do you really think that they would just throw in a few cheap carnival rides because they couldn't think of anything else, of course not.

shoppingnut

I just think of the things that people don't get and won't go on or do as less of a line for me to have to wait in, works for me.

FanofDinsey1981

musketeer said:
What I don't get is that people can't seem to understand that is the point of this area. I think it is brilliant. A small town trying to capitalize on the fame brought to them by the dinosaur institute.

Just recently, the FBI was digging for Jimmy Hoffa in a town just a few miles from my house. The town is nothing but a small town. But all of the sudden, the shops were staying open late, they were selling T-shirts, and trying to capitalize on its 15 minutes.

That is exactly the point of the Dinoland USA. It is supposed to be as tacky as possible.

Do you really think that they would just throw in a few cheap carnival rides because they couldn't think of anything else, of course not.

I actually like that area. It seems like a lot of people avoid the area, and I don't think I have waited over 10 minutes for any ride there. I grew up going to carnivals, so I enjoy the atmosphere and the style rides that are there!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
musketeer said:

You know I have never thought of it that way. The area makes total sense to me now and I fell like such an idiot for not realizing that sooner.

I would like to make a formal request to stop the Dinoramma bashing in lite of this new evidence.

popsicletrees

TAC said:
I don't get Expedition Everest. I didn't know there was a roller coaster on Mount Everest. Plus the whole Yeti thing ...is he real, or isn't he real? Disney should have paid some explorers to go to Mount Everest to find and capture the real Yeti, if there is one. That way, Disney would know what he really looks like.
quote]

Actually they kind of did. Did anyone else see the documentary on the Travel Channel about Expedition Everest? An Imagineer went to the Himalayas for research and to ask locals on their take on the Yeti. They even went into the woods searching for it. The design on the Yeti was supposedly based on the research the Imagineer gathered.

Back to the purpose of this:
I don't get the giant sorcerer's hat. I don't get the wand or why it has to say 'epcot'. I like Stitch but I don't like what he did to Alien Encounter and I don't get how that was an improvement. And I really don't get why Horizons and World of Motion had to be closed down to make way for TT and MS. I like MS but why not close down Universe of Energy for it?

I love CBJ. I too have the vinyl. It doesn't get much better than, "Mamma don't whip little Buford."

BruceWayne

its funny to me that alot of people on these boards (and in the parks themselves) complain about how expensive Walt Disney World is and then go spend 15 dollars on a metal pin worth nothing. I completely understand you enjoy collecting things, but do you think your book of Disney pins is worth anyhting outside of WDW?

Its funny that people would rather eat at a fast food (cheap and fattening) place, like that place between tomorrowland and main street, because its cheaper, but then go spend 15 dollars on a pin of the beast and belle. or something.

dont complain about price, then waste your money on that.

popsicletrees

TAC said:
Did he actually get a picture of the Yeti? Or is it just based on what the Imagineer thinks the Yeti would look like? If if it's the latter, rather than the former, why bother to spend all that money to go to Nepal in the first place ?

He went to villages in the Himalayas and got the opinions of several locals who "claim" to have seen the Yeti. He had everyone he talked to draw a picture of the Yeti, and from those pictures and from the accounts of other locals he drew his conclusions. Maybe it was worth the money, maybe it wasn't, but it was a decent promotion for the ride.

totodog

musketeer said:

I've always looked at it as saying that the midway carnival in light of the big corporation Theme Parks (Disney foremost), is a dinosaur. Midway Carnivals are basically extinct, while you can still find remnants of them on special occasions they have been replaced by big theme parks. IMHO, of course. And in that respect if fits perfectly into the themeing.

musketeer said:

no, i always got that, but im still not a fan. i mean yes everything about the place is completely planned and a lot of money has been spent trying to make it look that way but its just not appealing. i hate that roller coaster, i went on it once and it HURT! i couldnt wait till it was done. and if i wanted to go to a carnival, i could go to one at home and not have to pay $60 to enjoy it.

The Adventurer

What I Don't Get

1) The Tomorrowland Transit Authority - It's a cheap Florida roadside carnival ride that needs a serious overhaul. Autopia is a classic, but this is just trash. Use Walt's original idea for the ride and change the cheesy NASCAR racers to retro-futuristic automobiles.

2) Why there is not a Roger Rabbit E-Ticket attraction at Mickey's Toontown Fair. As a matter of fact, why is Roger Rabbit non-existant at Walt Disney World in the first place?

3) Why do Imagineers feel the pressure that every year has to hold some kind of "magical" celebration?

4) Why everyone feels that the old classic attractions (The Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Enchanted Tiki Room, and The Country Bears, etc) need serious makeovers.

5) Why would Imagineers take a step back and install the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. Dumbo the Flying Elephant is only classic because it has stood the test of time. We don't need another one. Why not make an Aladdin-themed E-Ticket attraction that actually makes you feel like you are on a magic carpet.

6) Why Peter Pan's Flight looks so crappy. They don't need to make any serious changes, but the foil inside the volcano and the chipping paint on almost every figure within is very cheap.

7) Why can't they take advantage of the space on Tom Sawyer Island without demolishing it altogether. Keep the caves, Fort Langhorn, and Aunt Polly's, but build a new E-Ticket attraction on the spaces provided, and if they keep with the Frontierland theme, that would leave opportunity for more exploration trails.

8) Why did they get rid of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I like that you get to meet Ariel and even The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, but those could have been built elsewhere.

9) Why are Imagineers afraid to build outside the boundaries of the Walt Disney World Railroad. Is there some sort of "magic barrier" that nobody's aware of.

10) Why is the old location of the Skyway in Fantasyland just sitting there? AHHHH!

11) Why is Tomorrowland turning into PIXARland. I like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and Stitch's Great Escape is charming, and I honestly don't mind Monsters, Inc. and possibly Cars or The Incredibles making an entrance, but really. Why can't Tomorrowland be a multilevel land that resembles an actual city. That way, there are room for new attractions and the theme won't be lost.

12) Why are the characters at Magic Kingdom obsolete now? On my last trip, the same characters (Donald Duck, Goofy, Chip & Dale, and Mickey and Minnei Mouse) were the only ones found in Town Square. Where did they all go?

13.) Why is Wonders of Life at Epcot just sitting there? Tear it down or re-open it please!

14) Why does Soarin' have so much hype around it. If it was an IMAX movie I can understand, but its not. It's not that special.

15) Why can't there be an E-Ticket attraction on the Streets of America. They aren't that interesting and to me that is just more wasted space.

16) Why isn't Monsters, Inc. at MGM instead of taking over Tomorrowland. They aren't futuristic, they are fantastical. I can understand Buzz and Stitch, but please, spare us.

17) Why are Imagineers always using new films for new attractions. There are plenty of good E-Ticket possibilities in older movie. For example, how cool would an enchanted Mary Poppins carousel that jumped off the track or a high-speed roller coaster ride with Cruella De Vil. THINK PEOPLE!

18) Why can't they do a Pocahontas show more along the lines of Festival of the Lion King or Beauty and the Beast? Her forest friends are lame.

19) Why can't they make Beauty and the Beast- Live on Stage more like Broadway. It has become very campy and old. Please give it a facelift. Real actors playing the objects and the Beast and keep Gaston's death scene. Jesus, some creativity would be nice.

20) Same thing for Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

21) The backstory of Kilamanjaro Safaris has become a tired subject. Let's not kid ourselves, we aren't in Africa and the animals are amazing enough on there own. The extra five minutes of old backstory could be five more minutes amongst the animals of the savannah.

22) MAKE KALI RIVER RAPIDS LONGER!!! Why so short? It's not like they can't afford the water bill.

23) I like the roadside America theme in Dinoland because it is more creative than a re-spawning of Jurassic Park land, but I think more could be done with the Chester and Hester Dino-Rama area. I like the carnival atmosphere, but that belongs at Disney's California Adventure or better yet, a carnival. I would rather see another Dino-ride, even if it wasn't as good as Dinosaur or Universal's Jurassic Park Adventure.

24) Bring Back Tarzan Rocks. I like Nemo, but put Finding Nemo- The Musical in Epcot or Disney-MGM Studios. It totally breaks the flow between Asia and Dinoland.

25) Why do some characters (Ex. The Three Good Fairies or some of the Princes) only make appearances in shows or parades?

yensid63

1. The Wand
2. The Hat
3. People who keep trying to cut in front of you on line even after you've
given them a look.
4. People who insist on calling the Magic Kingdom "Disney"
5. My DW who insists on sleeping in when we have so much to do.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom