Things We do to Save For Disney

Iteachwood

Original Poster
I know this thread has come up in different ways in past but what are some ways you save or "put away" for Disney? Probably some if not a lot will be same...maybe we can find some new ideas....Mine:

Big Wooden Bank covered with Disney Pics and Labeled " Our Disney Vacation 2011"

I put ALL change in this ALL!! Can't remember last time I actually paid with change for anything. If something cost $2.01 I.ll give $3 to get change than give the penny

I also put in all single and 5 dollar bills I can...MAN it adds up over the year

I will go out and buy disney gift card for say $50 on credit card ( visa of course) then pay it off slowly as I go along. Whwn paid off I get another

I budget for all bills ( father taught me that lesson years ago) anytime bill comes in undrer budget I take difference and put in envelope.

I have $10 irectly deposited every week from my check to savings account I use for Disney..don't see it don't feel it BUT in end I have about $520 for disney at end of year

Yours??????

ryanduggers

We too have a bank - what we also do is all winnings from lotteries also go in. the other thing we do is if our son buys something he wants, we go halves with him, and tell him to put his half in the Disney bank (he is 12). Also any found money goes in there. We average $500 a year, which we use for food and souvineers.

powlessfamily4

I gave up starbucks - I was a Mocha Frapp girl and at 4.05 for the Grande, hitting it 5 times a week was costing me over 1k a year. Not to mention the weight I lost... it was worth the sacrifice. I also use my bonuses to pay for most of my trips.

plaz10

we use our popcorn bucket from each trip...cut a slit in the top fill it with change. also any money (including bills) found in the laundry goes straight to the Disney jar. It's not a crazy amount but it's something.

mickeysshoes

We sell cakes and treats!! I also put all my change in a drawer along with singles and $5. I also (like OP) pay for something with a lager bill than exact change to get more change for the drawer. We also have been selling things we dont use any more (HOTTUB $300) on craigslist and put that cash away.

devoy1701

I don't have to give up anything. I'm loaded.

:ROFLOL:

Made my day Cap'n...or atleast my hour!

All of ya'll who put things in popcorn cups, or wooden banks or what not....Why not just put it in a savings account? Atleast that way it will earn a bit of interest (not much, but more than you get by putting it in a piggy bank!)

As for us, we charge EVERYTHING on our Disney Visas and pay it off at the end of the month. So we average about $15-$20 in Disney Rewards each month. We take a BIG Disney trip to Disneyland or this coming year a Disney Cruise every 2 or 3 years (don't take big trips to WDW because we're local passholders) so we average between $500-$750 in extra money to spend on our Disney trips each time. That's quite a lot of dough for money that we would have spent anyway!

devoy1701

We sell cakes and treats!! I also put all my change in a drawer along with singles and $5. I also (like OP) pay for something with a lager bill than exact change to get more change for the drawer. We also have been selling things we dont use any more (HOTTUB $300) on craigslist and put that cash away.

I'll buy the hot tub if you throw in free shipping to Tampa! :D:lol:

Kristamouse

We are big Craig's List sellers too! Anything goes on there and about 90% sells within a few weeks. I also consign my kid’s clothes, I love boutique brands and do my best to get them on sale and by ahead in the off season discounted prices. Then when the items are outgrown I consign them and put that money directly in our WDW jar. The same goes for any found money...right now we have about 200.00 in there. We save gift cards for restaurants all year for vacation, we use them for food on our drive down and back. Right now we have a 50.00 for Cracker Barrel and 25.00 for Subway.
Our biggest WDW savings comes from our Master Card. If a purchase is over 100.00 it goes on the card to accrue points we cash in for a pre paid card. I HATE credit card and sometimes go to the bank 3x a month with a check to cover what has been spent, the teller just laughs and tells me my points total, we are buddies now. We bank at a credit union so our debit card does not accrue points or I would use that. As of now we have 350.00 on debit cards for gas and hotel rooms on the drive down and back.
We book about 6 months out and put a little on our MasterCard here and there (and then go to the bank and pay it off) so the trip is paid for before the 45 day mark. We were lucky this year DH did some side work so we paid the entire thing off pretty quick.
Odd thing about WDW vacations; over the week we are there we really don't spend much. In fact less (sometimes) than we would have spent for the week at home if it was a busy one with expensive activities for our family (dinners out, school functions that always cost something, admission to watch our kids sports games etc). With all of the driving around DH and I do at home the gas is not much different for the drive down and back, since it is highway miles and we only have one car we are driving. We aren't big merchandise people and our food is paid before we get there our only real expense is the adult beverages consumed while there...as I said I have 4 kids under 6 in WDW and need a drink:p.
Keep the ideas coming…I want to stay at a deluxe some day

foreverbelle

We as most people on here seem to do put change and dollars here and there, they usually end up going into savings after so much, or we grab it and use for things. I at one time had enough change that I had saved to stay at WL for a full nine days and paid for the dinning plan. Granted that was like years of saving, and I finally decided to get rid of it all. LOL.

I also make sure I set things aside, and put money in savings whenever I can. And when I am at the store I sit there and think, do I really need this? Or would I rather save the money and head to the World....

captainkidd

Truthfully, when it comes time for a Disney vacation, I start up a little side business:

pimp.jpg

daveo43175

We have a pickle jar that is kept in my closet for change and $1 and $5 dollar bills we get, plus a second savings account at the bank (free). We started this for our second trip to WDW back in 2004. I also made a map to corrolate the distance from our house to WDW, which is about about 1500 miles. It costs us about $5 K for a week, so you do the math and that is 15.84 ft per penny saved. Everytime money goes into the jar or savings, we extend the line on the map. This way I can show my 3 DD's for every penny saved, it gets us closer to seeing Mickey. Even though they are teenagers now, they still love seeing the map and how close we are getting.

DisneyBergh

I will go out and buy disney gift card for say $50 on credit card ( visa of course) then pay it off slowly as I go along. Whwn paid off I get another

I hope you have a good interest rate on your credit card. Otherwise you aren't saving any money there!

When I paid off my car I kept making payments to a savings account. I don't miss the money and it's funding most of our trip!

MagicMegan

I sell stuff on Etsy and try to save all that money until we go. I only pay my Etsy bill with it. Other than that, I am horrible at saving. Usually for the 2 weeks before we leave I pick up 2 extra shifts each week, and I average $80-$110 a shift in tips, so that's an extra $400 I don't have time to spend before we go.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I sell Avon.

I also have a pickle jar with change and $1 bills in it.

Oh, and my tax return goes to my trip every year too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom