Things Walt wouldn't have approved of

Computer Magic

Gregory said:
For those of you "newbies", it's important to understand that if the self-appointed elite members on the site don't agree with what you are saying, they will make your life a living hell. Don't believe me? Post something contradictory to a post by someone like 'speck76', and see how long you have any desire to come back to WDWMagic.
Well since you named names here....I will chime in and disagree with the above. Speck76 is opened minded and listens to others input. Speck76 and I have debated issues tactfully and I think has made us friends. I don't see him a a villian in the Disney world. He is very knowledgeable and backs his statements with facts.

wannab@dis

Computer Magic said:
Well since you named names here....I will chime in and disagree with the above. Speck76 is opened minded and listens to others input. Speck76 and I have debated issues tactfully and I think has made us friends. I don't see him a a villian in the Disney world. He is very knowledgeable and backs his statements with facts.
I agree. In fact, the post that Gregory made was probably one of the most incendiary posts made in a LONG time. Makes you pause and question the motives.

wannab@dis

Pumbas Nakasak said:
No it dosent
eh, each to his own, I guess. But the fact that he shows up every few months and drops a bomb like that post seems incendiary to me. It appears that the only motive for that post (and others like it) is to instigate problems and attempt to divide the board.

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
Gregory said:
Unlike dxwwf3, I don't value my membership here, so I'm going to say exactly whats on my mind.

For those of you who don't know Grizz, he's still in the top 5 posters on this site- he used to be #1, but a combination of him leaving a few months ago and him slowly deleting his posts (because his request to have them all deleted was denied) brought him down a few pegs.

Grizz wore many hats, and most people on this board know "Grizz the Showman", much like Walt himself was. He grew up with Disney, and I would challenge anyone here to claim to know more about the company and its history than him- whether you like his opinions or not is irrelevant.

Roy Disney's "SaveDisney.com" campaign (which was initially met with great praise on these boards, and those of us who were against it were put down.. Funny how opinions change as time goes on...) believed that taking Michael Eisner out of play would magically change the status of the company. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't- time will tell.

But Grizz, who had less personal reasons for wanting change in Disney (Could Roy have put his name in any more places? Grizz wont even give out his real name, let alone start a campaign whos slogan is something similar to Roy's "Roy is right"), also began a website. A number of members of this site (MKT, SirNim, and me) signed on to help out. Grizz's theory was that you had to work your way up, and start with the small things in order to change the big things.

For those of you "newbies", it's important to understand that if the self-appointed elite members on the site don't agree with what you are saying, they will make your life a living hell. Don't believe me? Post something contradictory to a post by someone like 'speck76', and see how long you have any desire to come back to WDWMagic. While many people liked Grizz, there were a few mean-spirited people who constantly bashed him and his site for hating Disney, and for obsessing over irrelevent things (he had a section called bad show, where he posted pictures of things that he felt ruined the magic, including the one time he posted a picture about chipped paint). The users on this site bashed him for the negative points (though I personally would have considered it constructive criticism) on his site, and completely ignored the good things he said about Disney (which most likely outnumbered the bad)...

So, this site forced one of Disney's biggest supporters into "moving on" to something other than Disney. He had valuable inside information on both D-Troops and WDWMagic, and his facts were met with name calling (one example I can think of off hand is this one). I can't say I blame him, as WDWMagic has turned me away from Disney to a certain extent.

On top of that, he has many hard personal issues he's dealing with. Like I said, you know "Grizz the Showman", and to a certain extent thats all I really knew as well. But, what I did know of his personal life, I know that the one place he used to turn was WDWMagic, and he practically killed him when he was forced to leave (on his own free will, but its not like he really had a choice). I haven't been able to contact him, and others close to him can attest to what I'm saying.

There is a lot you don't know about Grizz, and those of you who made his life miserable on this forum think nothing of it. He was never mean, and only posted his opinions- the way you treated him and his opinions (whether they were correct or not) is something I'd expect from someplace like China, not a Disney website.

So, like I have said in this longwinded post, what you thought of what he said is irrelevant- I didn't agree with him a lot of the time as well. The fact still stands (and theres proof seeing as to how months after he dissapeared, you are still bashing him) that you have began an atmosphere of fear around here. It's not my website, and I know what I think doesn't matter. But, I think Steve is compromising his brilliant website by not banning a large number of the members here who think their post count gives them the right to be jerks to whoever they want.

I miss Grizz's contributions to this site. I always enjoyed his posts and how much he knew about Disney. He was informative without being mean-spirited or hostile, a great contributor. :(

speck76

NadieMasK2 said:
I miss Grizz's contributions to this site. I always enjoyed his posts and how much he knew about Disney. He was informative without being mean-spirited or hostile, a great contributor. :(

I miss his contributions too.....

I never had a problem with Grizz, we chatted a lot, and no post between the two of us was ever mean-spirited.....unfortunately, it was not always seen that way by his followers.

Now...I did have issues with Grizz.....and I was always up-front about them.

1. Grizz would post many rumors.....some were good, some were off. Grizz posted a rumor that the balloons in The Land pavilion were going away....which for some reason caused a major issue amongst many people. Upon the issue happening, Grizz never interjected to remind people that IT WAS JUST A RUMOR....instead, he put fuel on the fire. Half-correct information is not a good thing. If something is a RUMOR, make sure it is obvious that it is a RUMOR.

2. Grizz had a strong opinion, which is fine, but failed to ever seek "real-world" ramifications for his points of view. Yeah, it would be great if WDW could repaint Main Street USA nightly....but it is not realistic. It would be great if every attraction could be the perfect blend of entertainment, education, and magic......but it is not realistic. (and so on)

3. Grizz was constantly negative. Sure, everyone has their opinion, but even when something was loved by the majority of people, Grizz would find something wrong with it......whether it be the pale walls in The Land, viewable duct work in Mission Space, or paint chips, he was always great at finding the negative aspect of any situation.

4. Grizz is disconnected with the opinions of the general public. While parks like Epcot have needed to change their missions, Grizz had a hard time accepting this. While Mission Space, Test Track, and now Soarin' have attracted millions of additional guests to Epcot, Grizz could not accept the removal of the omni-mover attractions.

My biggest gripe is that with Grizz in the profession he is in, he should realize the importance of fully educating his "followers" with both sides of the story, instead of just spouting a one-sided point of view.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I miss his contributions too.....

:eek:

That's almost signature worthy :lol:

Seriously, you aren't the same poster now than you were a while back. And in case it's not clear, that is a huge compliment :wave:

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
:eek:

That's almost signature worthy :lol:

Seriously, you aren't the same poster now than you were a while back. And in case it's not clear, that is a huge compliment :wave:
thanks.....but yes.....I am....I am just not having to defend myself so much now from dumb comments

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
As I was told during my training as an instructor.

"there are NO stupid questions but you will get stupid people" and I think stupidity is contageous either that or its the years of Jack abuse on the grey matter.

Dragonrider1227

thisisnotanexit said:
i agree with you.

i hate to see parents buy themselves some kind of liquor in front of their children in a resort gift shop. i think bottles of crown royal take away the childlike magic of disney world.
Is it really THAT bad? I mean, it's easy to be overwhelmed at Disney. Espeically if you're a parent tring to keep your crew together. Something like that definetly calls for A drink. :lol:

Also, why do I have the feeling that Walt wouldn't approve of people thinking they know what he would approve of? :lookaroun

MKCP 1985

thisisnotanexit said:
i agree with you.

i hate to see parents buy themselves some kind of liquor in front of their children in a resort gift shop. i think bottles of crown royal take away the childlike magic of disney world.
:lol: What else purchased in the resort gift shop takes away the childlike magic of disney world from you? newspapers? aspirin? maxi-pads? :lol:

Shrieks "PUT THAT BACK!! THAT'S NOT MAGIC!!!!" :lol: :lol:

William Marsden

Maybe this has already been covered (I don't have time right now to read all the postings) but I wanted to bring up a point that the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland wrote about. Before there was a Disneyland, Walt use to take his two daughters out to the Californeia Piers on Sunday Mornings/Afternoons. He didn't like the atmosphere. He was distressed at all of the cheap, slow loading rides, carnival games, and people walking around drinking beer. That's why he built Disneyland. He wanted to create a park with a totally different enviornment. When Disney's California Adventure was built, most of the attractions were just copied over from Disney World with the exception of Soarin Over California and the Paradise Pier part of the park. But the problem with Paradise Pier is it's exactly the sort of thing that Walt wanted to stay away from - cheap, slow loading rides, carnival games, and people walking around drinking beer. I don't think Walt would have approved.

wdwishes2005

William Marsden said:
Maybe this has already been covered (I don't have time right now to read all the postings) but I wanted to bring up a point that the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland wrote about. Before there was a Disneyland, Walt use to take his two daughters out to the Californeia Piers on Sunday Mornings/Afternoons. He didn't like the atmosphere. He was distressed at all of the cheap, slow loading rides, carnival games, and people walking around drinking beer. That's why he built Disneyland. He wanted to create a park with a totally different enviornment. When Disney's California Adventure was built, most of the attractions were just copied over from Disney World with the exception of Soarin Over California and the Paradise Pier part of the park. But the problem with Paradise Pier is it's exactly the sort of thing that Walt wanted to stay away from - cheap, slow loading rides, carnival games, and people walking around drinking beer. I don't think Walt would have approved.
Example? Tower is the only one I can think of. What about the drop tower thing? or Cali screamin'?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom