Things Walt wouldn't have approved of

wannab@dis

bigcarolina77 said:
I don't see how spening $7.4 bill on something that's worth the investment shows you have a pair. Not really risking much there.
:eek:

Are you kidding me? It's a HUGE risk given today's movie/animation business environment. The perfect streak of hits won't last forever.

Pooh's Playful Spot is crap. Replacing a multi-million dollar attraction with a McDonald's style playground is sad. Even if the maintenance costs were high. I hope something great can go here in the future. The site is huge and has a ton of potential.

wannab@dis

bigcarolina77 said:
Pooh's Playful Spot is crap. Replacing a multi-million dollar attraction with a McDonald's style playground is sad. Even if the maintenance costs were high. I hope something great can go here in the future. The site is huge and has a ton of potential.
When that little one in your avatar gets a little older... you may change your mind. :rolleyes:

WDWFREAK53

About the whole "cloning attractions" thing...

Aren't there many attractions at the Magic Kingdom that are cloned from attractions at Disneyland? Small World, Tiki Room, Country Bears, Haunted Mansion, etc.

I don't buy this one at all. The purpose of cloning attractions isn't JUST because it's cheaper because it's already been engineering and tested. Some people don't get to go all the way to the other side of the country so, this way, they get to experience it...but, at the same time, each resort around the world has it's own unique attractions also.

How many people here are clamoring for a Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction??? Indy ride??? Many...why? Because to some, going to Tokyo is out of the cards...and many people only have the funds for one trip a year (sometimes less) and they choose WDW because it's larger and you can spend more than a few days experiencing many different things.

Pixar is worth every penny. Their flicks make hundreds of millions each. They're one of the only thing going in the right direction in Hollywood right know. The other studios can't seem to crank out many winners. Hope they don't foul it up and start cranking out more Treasure Planet type crap.

wannab@dis

WDWFREAK53 said:
About the whole "cloning attractions" thing...

Aren't there many attractions at the Magic Kingdom that are cloned from attractions at Disneyland? Small World, Tiki Room, Country Bears, Haunted Mansion, etc.

I don't buy this one at all. The purpose of cloning attractions isn't JUST because it's cheaper because it's already been engineering and tested. Some people don't get to go all the way to the other side of the country so, this way, they get to experience it...but, at the same time, each resort around the world has it's own unique attractions also.

How many people here are clamoring for a Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction??? Indy ride??? Many...why? Because to some, going to Tokyo is out of the cards...and many people only have the funds for one trip a year (sometimes less) and they choose WDW because it's larger and you can spend more than a few days experiencing many different things.
Here! Here!

WDWFREAK53

wannab@dis said:
When that little one in your avatar gets a little older... you may change your mind. :rolleyes:

Bingo!

(I kinda do see her point though...it's not really a "family" experience in a little kid's playground...but, at the same time, I don't mind it because it's not like it gets in the way and the little ones seem to really have a good time with it)

Enderikari

bigcarolina77 said:

::Blink Blink BlinK:: Foolish mortal... don't you see the potential for the land now... Pooh's Playful Spot barely occupies less than 8% of waht used to be 20,000 under the sea... It wasn't replaced by PPS, it was replaced by valuable real estate, which the Magic Kingdom will further develop when the operational neccessity arises...

EDIT- and be careful about Treasure Planet... I really like that movie... Good music, good animation, classic story... The problem is that it is trendy among Disney Fanboys and Fangirls to trash it

I can take her to the local McDonalds then. The Magic Kingdom should be "magical" and special not ordinary and everyday.

That being said, you're right, she will probably love it.

wannab@dis

WDWFREAK53 said:
Bingo!

(I kinda do see her point though...it's not really a "family" experience in a little kid's playground...but, at the same time, I don't mind it because it's not like it gets in the way and the little ones seem to really have a good time with it)
Nah... still doesn't really make sense. Anyone with small children will tell you that it's a great "family" experience to watch your kids playing and having a blast.

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
Hmmm....

Well I had to step out for a bit and was a little surprised at the direction this thread went.

First, I think some are misunderstanding my post. It is not meant to be a means to dis your pet peeves and use Walt as an excuse, as someone pointed out. Rather, realizing that there are some people here who are very knowledgable about the life and beliefs of Walt Disney, it interests me to see what others think about Walt's vision for his company and how it fits into what we know today as WDW.

I don't think it's frivolous to discuss how things have progressed based on the original roots and vision of a man. I did say in my OP that of course we will never really know. If you don't like speculation, I understand, and you don't have to participate.

wannab@dis

NadieMasK2 said:
I don't think it's frivolous to discuss how things have progressed based on the original roots and vision of a man. I did say in my OP that of course we will never really know. If you don't like speculation, I understand, and you don't have to participate.
But the speculation will totally be based on ones own opinions, therefore invalidating the discussion in the first place. Furthermore, nobody KNOWS what Walt would think if his views had been molded and shaped by the last 30 years of changes in the entertainment business world.

MartyMouse

Hold on I missed this one.

Enderikari said:
Wow..... how high and mighty must you be to go ahead and make decisions for a large number of people. I am not a smoker myself, but I disagree with every attempt to legislate morality. This country is one where people have the oppurtunity to pursue life, liberty, and happiness, as long as my pursuit does not negatively affect yours.
One quick question: is it hard to climb all the way up to that pedastal? It looks hard.. I mean... with it that high and all. I mean, it must have a great view of everything, as long as you don't mind looking over your nose and such... Just, that pedestal seems like you would need some sort of climbing instrument... A ladder perhaps... Do you have a ladder? A stool seems like it would be too short...
You got issues.
The concept of an organized society or culture exists entirely on its rules and boundaries; once you remove them you have created anarchy. To legislate morality is what civilized society does. The concept of freedom can only exists with checks and balances and those are to say what is right and what is wrong. To deny that simple truth is the same small mindedness that is slowly pulling the fabric of this country apart.

The people who say “hey you can’t tell me where I can and can’t do something, I’ll smoke where I want to” are the same people who cheer when an unfair judgment is passed that helps the little guy at the expense of big business, but never realize that the things they spot about freedom was programmed into them by big business.

Enderikari

In the spirit of the original post, and not being something I agree with, I think that Walt would be disappointed with the way Magic Kingdom is the primary association with WDW. You see, Walt did not want to repeat himself, and only wanted to build the Magic Kingdom as a primary source of funds to finance bigger ventures in the Florida Project. He expected to be done with the Magic Kingdom, almost scrapping it after just a few years to rebuild for bigger and better things.

That's what I think Walt would be most disappointed in, is that the Magic Kingdom is still around, and maybe even that its the most visited theme park in the world.

Of course, he would also be disappointed that Mineral King Ski Resort never got built, and that Cal-Arts was finished but developed a reputation as a hippy school, and that there are women working in Frontierland, male ambassadors and tour guides... That Carousel of Progress hasn't been torn down yet (Disneyland's original plans called for their to be a limit of just about 7 years for each attraction, to be replaced by something new). That Marc Davis went ahead with Pirates of the Caribbean as Marc saw fit, and put his name on it. That Blaine Gibson hasn't retired yet. That his Daughter Diane, and her husband Ron own a winery and are not active in the Disney company (disappointed, but not unexpected). That Lillian remarried... That his older brother Roy O. passed away two months after dedicated WDW, and he never had a retirement. That the WDC bought Retlaw, cementing everything under one roof. That he no longer gets checks for himself or his family everytime his name is used... So on and so forth

Enderikari

MartyMouse said:
Hold on I missed this one.

You got issues.
The concept of an organized society or culture exists entirely on its rules and boundaries; once you remove them you have created anarchy. To legislate morality is what civilized society does. The concept of freedom can only exists with checks and balances and those are to say what is right and what is wrong. To deny that simple truth is the same small mindedness that is slowly pulling the fabric of this country apart.

The people who say “hey you can’t tell me where I can and can’t do something, I’ll smoke where I want to” are the same people who cheer when an unfair judgment is passed that helps the little guy at the expense of big business, but never realize that the things they spot about freedom was programmed into them by big business.

Wrong sir... freedom is what built this country... Yes, that's right, learn the meaning of the word... and in the interest of not having this turn into a political debate (strictly prohibited on this boards, as well it should), I will simply say that this country is a great one, and what's pulling apart is the larger and larger government by the day. As they say in TRON - end of line.

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
Nah... still doesn't really make sense. Anyone with small children will tell you that it's a great "family" experience to watch your kids playing and having a blast.

That's true. But you know that some people complain about some of the new thrill rides and say that because little kids can't ride them, then they aren't in Walt's vision of the parks. I agree with the notion that the majority of attractions at WDW need to be for EVERYONE, but I also feel that each park should have attractions that are set aside for certain age groups as it adds to the experience for members of each group. So I guess my point is, you can have great family experiences on Mission Space, Expedition Everest, and even what is on my avatar.

For every Pooh's Playful Spot and Playhouse Disney stage show, there needs to be a fearsome Yeti ready to tear you to shreds :lol:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Enderikari said:
I am not going to say much, except for I disagree with not only just about everything that Carolina has said, and I also disagree with the whole topic in general being an impossible one to judge..

But I will take this oppurtunity to throw another "Walt was against Alcohol" quip out there...

The Disney animation studios in Burbank was built with a cocktail bar, and Disney was famous amongst his crew for letting his animators take long breaks and grab a cocktail during work... Walt himself had a scotch and soda served to him by his secretary as he received medical massages needed for chronic back pain stemming from a polo injury...

and one more thing

Wow..... how high and mighty must you be to go ahead and make decisions for a large number of people. I am not a smoker myself, but I disagree with every attempt to legislate morality. This country is one where people have the oppurtunity to pursue life, liberty, and happiness, as long as my pursuit does not negatively affect yours.
One quick question: is it hard to climb all the way up to that pedastal? It looks hard.. I mean... with it that high and all. I mean, it must have a great view of everything, as long as you don't mind looking over your nose and such... Just, that pedestal seems like you would need some sort of climbing instrument... A ladder perhaps... Do you have a ladder? A stool seems like it would be too short...

AMEN!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom