Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

MaxxStephen

This thread will showcase changes to Walt Disney World over the years. My intent is to post pairs of photographs, from years ago to present day, of various WDW views to show the changes occurring to WDW. Some changes will be quite apparent (i.e., buildings, vegetation), while other changes will be more subtle (i.e., paint colors, details). You may enjoy "finding the differences" as you review the paired photos. All current photos were taken from as near as possible the exact spot as the original so that the perspective will be the same. However, some conditions were not controllable, such as weather.

I will only post photo pairs on occasion, so stay tuned. I have been collecting these photographs from private individuals and my own collection for some time, so I want to ensure they are accurate comparisons. Enjoy! - WDWtraveler

First photo pair: Then: October 1973. Cinderella Castle as viewed from Fantasyland's Mad Tea Party. The building on the right is Cheshire Café. Note the castle hillside is planted with grass.

View attachment 101071

Now: July 2015. 42 years later, the trees on the hillside obscure most of Cinderella Castle.

View attachment 101072

Aww I love the look of the Castle in that first picture! The small trees make the castle look so much bigger.

MaxxStephen

Twenty-first photo pair. Then: May 1974. Mike Fink keel boats in front of the Haunted Mansion. The loading dock for the keel boats is at the building on the right (see cast member standing), which is still there. Note that the trees are shorter than the Haunted Mansion. The "front door" to the mansion in the center of the building stands out in this older photo.

View attachment 122104

Now: June 2015. Forty-one years later the trees have grown up around the Haunted Mansion. The awning for the queue to the Haunted Mansion has been extended. With the extended awning and trees, I'm not sure anyone even notices the "front door" to the mansion.
View attachment 122105

I do prefer the way the mansion looks now. I'm loving the overgrown trees and that isolated look, but something about the first picture is just as creepy, kinda that "haunted house on top of the hill" vibe.

The Mom

Premium Member
I guess I don't follow. I realize the trees hadn't grown in yet back then, but, I'm not sure what you mean by no buildings and no hills. Please explain.

I think he meant that they hadn't added the "caves" (which required making artificial hills), the fort, Aunt Polly's house, etc. The island was more or less empty, except for grass.

Goofyernmost

I think he meant that they hadn't added the "caves" (which required making artificial hills), the fort, Aunt Polly's house, etc. The island was more or less empty, except for grass.
OK, I guess that could be it, but, I still don't understand what that has to do with the Haunted Mansion and how it looks. However, to each his own, I guess. :)

The Empress Lilly

But, if keeping with theme how would it be explained that a house full of spirits would be able to maintain that well groomed look. No deserted mansion would have a ground crew would they? Or am I misreading your intent. It is really the same idea as the Tower of Terror. It's deserted, no one caring for it. Wild growth, dirty water lines, cobwebs and pretty much everything that one would expect to see in that situation. I remember being so impressed with the outside of the Tower, especially the fountain out front with the fake water line stain imply in that it once had water that evaporated away. Now that was attention to detail.
The Mansion is supposed to / once did look well kept, on the outside. ToT, in what I believe a deliberate contrast, looks derelict on the outside.

At least the two US mansion did. DLP looks derelict too. It's great in itself, but the effect of the overall park-wide pristine look of the States-side parks is even better.

Goofyernmost

The Mansion is supposed to / once did look well kept, on the outside. ToT, in what I believe a deliberate contrast, looks derelict on the outside.

At least the two US mansion did. DLP looks derelict too. It's great in itself, but the effect of the overall park-wide pristine look of the States-side parks is even better.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. You (and others) feel it looks better pristine and I (and others) don't see how a Haunted Mansion and pristine go together. Doesn't really matter as long as we still enjoy the attraction.

glvsav37

Yes. Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches. I think fried chicken at one point but cannot remember since it was so long ago. I believe Ice Cream was also served as well. As to why it closed, not sure. Possibly the cost cutting made the place close. Stinks because it was the only place there to get food, something to drink and snacks.

I use to work at Pecos Bills and we supplied Aunt Polly's. One of the reasons it closed was that it was very difficult to service vs the low foot traffic there. Yes, it was a great place to sit and grab a drink, but you had to actually get over there. A low % of guests actually take the time to ride the raft over. Likewise, all the prepared food had to be ferried over as well, right in the middle of the day in large chest coolers, right along with the guests on the rafts.

Goofyernmost

I use to work at Pecos Bills and we supplied Aunt Polly's. One of the reasons it closed was that it was very difficult to service vs the low foot traffic there. Yes, it was a great place to sit and grab a drink, but you had to actually get over there. A low % of guests actually take the time to ride the raft over. Likewise, all the prepared food had to be ferried over as well, right in the middle of the day in large chest coolers, right along with the guests on the rafts.
Good grief, couldn't they make Peanut Butter Sandwiches right there. It doesn't seem all that complicated. I might even have a recipe someplace. ;)

Monorail_Red_77

Correct me if I am wrong, but the mansion is not inspired by the southern states like the one in Disneyland is with New Orleans. It follows more of the colony style seen in the northeast.

Yes, more northern colonial style to tie in with liberty square. The house HM is based on, Harry Packer Mansion in Jim Thorpe, PA. Funny thing, the actual Mansion in PA gives a murder mystery tour.

index~~element8.gif

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Twenty-second photo pair. Then: August 1978. The Golden Horseshoe as viewed from the deck of the Liberty Square Riverboat. This was before the alternate passage (boardwalk) was installed along the riverbank to ease traffic during parade congestion. Notice the riverbanks have a lot of grass that had to be mowed, and the umbrellas and chairs along the white fence.

002 Aug 1978 copy.jpg

Now: June 2015. Thirty-seven years later. These are the same trees, but the walkway width has been expanded and the boardwalk added to allow better traffic flow during parades. The grass along the riverbank has been replaced with low maintenance pine straw mulch. The large "horseshoe" in the original sign is missing now. The only umbrellas seen here are for a snack kiosk.

IMG_5765 Jun 2015 copy.jpg

raven

I think people can take theme to an extreme and ruin their own enjoyment of a place. Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland is wrong - there's no way you could extend the Tomorrowland them to cover MILF. But there are folks who can't stand that Star Tours is in DL's Tomorrowland, because Star Tours didn't take place in the future - it took place a long time ago.
MK's Tomorrowland has always been a stretch. MILF isn't in the future, it's in a parallel universe. Stitch is set in present day but simply uses space in its theme. And Buzz Lightyear is a toy from present day as well. So the only things those attractions in Tomorrowland have in common is Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom