Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Mike S

Well, why didn't he/she just say that. Riddle me this type's of posts are neither effective or understood. But, I must respectfully disagree. Seriously, I understand the desire, but, to expect that everything will completely be segregated in a wide open, flat area like MK, is asking a lot after only a short time in the towers existence. The can move some big trees, but, not all areas will naturally allow that. Give it time and it will be taken care of, not to mention just how petty it is to worry about such a tiny thing. It's a theme park, not a place that really has to be taken that seriously. Relax and enjoy the good stuff and stop desperately searching for something to be upset about.
No need to move trees or wait for them to grow if there was more thought into where they put the Tower.

The Empress Lilly

Well, why didn't he/she just say that. Riddle me this type's of posts are neither effective or understood. But, I must respectfully disagree. Seriously, I understand the desire, but, to expect that everything will completely be segregated in a wide open, flat area like MK, is asking a lot after only a short time in the towers existence. The can move some big trees, but, not all areas will naturally allow that. Give it time and it will be taken care of, not to mention just how petty it is to worry about such a tiny thing. It's a theme park, not a place that really has to be taken that seriously. Relax and enjoy the good stuff and stop desperately searching for something to be upset about.
The transition between LS and FL once was perfect, beautifully flowing into one another. Now it is a weird dysharmonious mishmash.

It is not something petty or tiny to notice these things. If one does not notice their absence, then how does one take delight in their presence? You are aware of them, or not.

"Daddy, isn't it sheer magical how the vegetation matches the architecture which matches the music!?"
"This is a theme park kiddo, stop noticing these things, you take it all far too seriously"

Goofyernmost

The transition between LS and FL once was perfect, beautifully flowing into one another. Now it is a weird dysharmonious mishmash.

It is not something petty or tiny to notice these things. If one does not notice their absence, then how does one take delight in their presence? You are aware of them, or not.

"Daddy, isn't it sheer magical how the vegetation matches the architecture which matches the music!?"
"This is a theme park kiddo, stop noticing these things, you take it all far too seriously"
Not the same thing and you know it. And your sentence of "you are aware of them or your not", is probably true, however, there are a multitude of reasons that happens. There's a good chance that you really never noticed any transition because it all seemed smooth when the whole place was a marvel of sights and sounds. As we repeat the experience we become much more focused on the smaller things that we didn't notice before. What about Big Thunder Mtn that is directly across the river from the Mansion. Why isn't it awful that they would incorporate the Hudson River with two completely different areas of the country. Surely, who ever would have lived in the Mansion (Mr. Gracy, I believe), did not look out his window across the Hudson and see a butte with a runaway mine train running around it. Since no one has noticed that or thought it out of place all these years, yet a small thing like the tower that affects the view only in specific minor areas, is a subject of disdain and over-reaction. Pretty much a selective something to complain needlessly about.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

This thread will showcase changes to Walt Disney World over the years. My intent is to post pairs of photographs, from years ago to present day, of various WDW views to show the changes occurring to WDW. Some changes will be quite apparent (i.e., buildings, vegetation), while other changes will be more subtle (i.e., paint colors, details). You may enjoy "finding the differences" as you review the paired photos. All current photos were taken from as near as possible the exact spot as the original so that the perspective will be the same. However, some conditions were not controllable, such as weather.

I will only post photo pairs on occasion, so stay tuned. I have been collecting these photographs from private individuals and my own collection for some time, so I want to ensure they are accurate comparisons. Enjoy! - WDWtraveler

First photo pair: Then: October 1973. Cinderella Castle as viewed from Fantasyland's Mad Tea Party. The building on the right is Cheshire Café. Note the castle hillside is planted with grass.

View attachment 101071

Now: July 2015. 42 years later, the trees on the hillside obscure most of Cinderella Castle.

View attachment 101072
I had no idea that hill even existed.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Twenty-sixth photo pair. Then: October 1973. The Magic Kingdom hub from the castle gate. Finally, the hub construction is complete and this photo pair can be posted. There wasn't a castle stage to speak of back then. The ground level forecourt was much larger. Of course, the trees and planter beds in the hub were much larger. The four huge planter beds were each surrounded by concrete benches. In the center of the hub was a small circular planter with concrete benches; and no statue.

013 Oct 1973.jpg

Now: June 2016. Almost 43 years later....the buildings of Main Street are clearly visible. The gray platform in the foreground is the edge of the castle stage.

IMG_7827 May 2016.JPG

P_Radden

Twenty-sixth photo pair. Then: October 1973. The Magic Kingdom hub from the castle gate. Finally, the hub construction is complete and this photo pair can be posted. There wasn't a castle stage to speak of back then. The ground level forecourt was much larger. Of course, the trees and planter beds in the hub were much larger. The four huge planter beds were each surrounded by concrete benches. In the center of the hub was a small circular planter with concrete benches; and no statue.

View attachment 146301

Now: June 2016. Almost 43 years later....the buildings of Main Street are clearly visible. The gray platform in the foreground is the edge of the castle stage.

View attachment 146302
Great pics! I love the foliage and abundance of bench seating in the original hub but will admit the new one is functionally superior.
So when did they add the statue of Walt and Mickey?

kelknight84

View attachment 146301

View attachment 146302
Great pics! I actually like both past and present! Very interesting!

jloucks

View attachment 146301

View attachment 146302
The concrete work seems fancier in the vintage photo. ...random thought.

The Empress Lilly

View attachment 146301

View attachment 146302
Wow...that really rubs in the unmitigated horror that is the new hub.

What have these vandals done?

ChristianG

View attachment 146301

View attachment 146302
You know, I was expecting the bottom picture to look terrible with the lack of foliage and abundance of poles but it actually looks great! I wish some of the trees were fuller but, and if I'm being honest here, not as full as the trees in the first pic. While trees in the park are welcomed with open arms, the trees in the first pic are a bit too much.

WEDwaydatamover

I've looked at these photos as objectively as I possibly could. There is no comparison: new vs old which I find more appealing...

NOT in all cases but most earlier photos (purely based on color palettes alone) resonated with me much, much more.

John Hench, Mary Blair, Herb Rymand and Claude Coates knew what they were doing color and style-wise and I think it shows.

Try explaining that to a weasel at TDO.

I do think the new Carousel of Progress color scheme it rather awesome. I have no idea how or why TDO approved it? Maybe there's a bit of a turning point coming.

::Fingers crossed::

jt04

I've looked at these photos as objectively as I possibly could. There is no comparison: new vs old which I find more appealing...

NOT in all cases but most earlier photos (purely based on color palettes alone) resonated with me much, much more.

John Hench, Mary Blair, Herb Rymand and Claude Coates knew what they were doing color and style-wise and I think it shows.

Try explaining that to a weasel at TDO.

I do think the new Carousel of Progress color scheme it rather awesome. I have no idea how or why TDO approved it? Maybe there's a bit of a turning point coming.

::Fingers crossed::

The difference is guests did not get their style cues from The Simpson's.

Looks more like The Mary Tyler Moore Show or Bob Newhart.

Goofyernmost

There is absolutely no use in trying to explain show as it relates to the Hub, so, you're right it doesn't have as many trees and there is fake grass right in front of your fake castle. I give up!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I guess you will have to call me a pixie duster, both look great but I like the second one better. My reason is that being an civil engineer I can see the functionality of the second one meets the needs of the today's park better. Like it or not additional hub space is needed for activities focused on this area and still allow people access to bypass the crowds. The second reason is that I like the view down Main Street that is totally block by the trees in the first one. I do like that the first picture shows more seating in the area.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Twenty-sixth photo pair. Then: May 1974. The cave on Tom Sawyer Island at Magic Kingdom, as seen from the river boat. Less than three years after opening, the trees and vegetation are still rather slight, as you can see most of the external rock work and the pathway railing on top.

018 May 1974 copy.jpg

Now: April 2016. Forty-two years later, the trees and vegetation all but obscure the cave. The rock work is "tinted" to give it a color that matches Big Thunder Mountain Railroad across the river. You can still see the railing for the pathway on top. Enhancements are the small rock walls that line the pathway to the cave entrance, to keep people from veering off the path and climbing the rock. The dock and mooring posts are still on the right side of the photo, but safety nets have been added around the dock, and a shelter was built.

Apr 2016.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom