Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Jon81uk

The problem is, after a certain point, you can't really make trees smaller. Yes, you can trim and manicure, but only so much before it's dangerous to the organism. After that, the only way to make a tree "to scale" would be replace it with a man-made one that wouldn't grow, or replace it with another juvenile tree and let the growth process take place again.
and in this case (in front of the Mansion) they should be digging up and replacing with juvenile.

The Empress Lilly

The thematic integration is stronger when there is a seafood restaurant, aptly named Harbour House, that is spelled with a 'u' to place it in colonial times, next to a Northeast port, with a warehouse with dock, with actual boats docking.

That is an integrated theme, even pinpointable to a place and time. Now it is Rapunzel meets Headless Horseman meets Goth Haunt meets Nightmare Before Christmas meets 21st-century-in-yer-face-credit-card-marketing meets bright toony colour schemes and clutter and prop diarrhea.

Phonedave

The thematic integration is stronger when there is a seafood restaurant, aptly named Harbour House, that is spelled with a 'u' to place it in colonial times, next to a Northeast port, with a warehouse with dock, with actual boats docking.

That is an integrated theme, even pinpointable to a place and time. Now it is Rapunzel meets Headless Horseman meets Goth Haunt meets Nightmare Before Christmas meets 21st-century-in-yer-face-credit-card-marketing meets bright toony colour schemes and clutter and prop diarrhea.

But CHH serves shrimp and tuna, which does not make me think of a Northeast port - they need lobster, cod, and clams.

Honestly, I don't think it is *quite* as bad as you make it out to be, but I will say, I like the way it was better. The Mike Fink keelboats are, in my opinion, out of place as well. There were keelboats on the Hudson, but there are other boats that would be more thematically correct - such as a dory. Of course then you have the problem of what happens when the dorys get near Tom Sawyers Island - where a keel boat is more appropriate. Or maybe the whole point is your are trying to shove multiple themes into a single park - and despite some inventive planning and solutions, there is still going to be overlap.

-dave

danyoung56

I think people can take theme to an extreme and ruin their own enjoyment of a place. Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland is wrong - there's no way you could extend the Tomorrowland them to cover MILF. But there are folks who can't stand that Star Tours is in DL's Tomorrowland, because Star Tours didn't take place in the future - it took place a long time ago. This to me is just silly, as is the concern that CHH doesn't fit in to Liberty Square just because they took a boat dock away and built a tower.

MississippiBelle

I think people can take theme to an extreme and ruin their own enjoyment of a place. Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland is wrong - there's no way you could extend the Tomorrowland them to cover MILF. But there are folks who can't stand that Star Tours is in DL's Tomorrowland, because Star Tours didn't take place in the future - it took place a long time ago. This to me is just silly, as is the concern that CHH doesn't fit in to Liberty Square just because they took a boat dock away and built a tower.

Completely on board with everything you said... BUT Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor needs a new acronym desperately. :angelic: I personally like the current foliage better because it gives the mansion a rundown look. I do agree that the old "boat house" does look a little out of place in this picture, but if you were to look at this same view in another perspective it would (and does) look fine. I'm not sure that it's inclusion in this perspective was meant to spark such controversy. On the "what to do about the trees" note: Imagine the backlash Disney would get if they dug up a habitat only because the trees were supposed to be smaller. Think of the chipmunks people!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Love everyone of the photo pairs. After reading all over this web site about how much Disney hates trees and the resort is losing it "park" look, these pictures say just the opposite. I seem to like the today pictures in all but the entrance to Tomorrowland. Hope more pairs are coming.

M.T. LOTT

Great thread, I really don't mind seeing these changes. Yes some of the old school looks are better but that's because it
is what we grew up on. I'm sure kids today will look back and say "how could they change Mission Space things were so much better in 2015! Ok maybe MS they won't mind changing but you get the point.

Raineman

and in this case (in front of the Mansion) they should be digging up and replacing with juvenile.
Just a question-if we want the theming to be completely immersive and accurate, why would an old, abandoned, decrepit haunted mansion have young trees and neatly manicured grounds? Almost every town or city has an old house that people say is haunted, and it almost always has large, old trees that hide the house a bit, adding mystery, daring some brave soul to get close enough to see more. I like the way that HM is landscaped for that very reason.

Jon81uk

s far as HM a bunch of big trees gives it the look. Brand new looking building with small trees just doesn't say haunted.
In Disneyland at least, that was what Walt wanted. He said "We'll take care of the outside and let the ghosts take care of the inside".

From http://www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com/index335.html but I've seen the quote elsewhere as well.

Additionally, what's the point having the mansion building if it is hidden by trees? Might as well just have the warehouse showbuilding with some trees and not bother with the facade.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

In Disneyland at least, that was what Walt wanted. He said "We'll take care of the outside and let the ghosts take care of the inside".

From http://www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com/index335.html but I've seen the quote elsewhere as well.

Additionally, what's the point having the mansion building if it is hidden by trees? Might as well just have the warehouse showbuilding with some trees and not bother with the facade.

See, now I think it's VERY effective when you're in the queue. The gravestones are peeking out on the edge of the dark forest as you're about to enter the very strange, very isolated house....

DisneyFans4Life

Not to get off topic, but does anyone else wish there was some kind of QS snack place on TSI? There is a perfect little spot with a porch that I've always thought would be an awesome spot for an ice cream store.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom