Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Goofyernmost

MK's Tomorrowland has always been a stretch. MILF isn't in the future, it's in a parallel universe. Stitch is set in present day but simply uses space in its theme. And Buzz Lightyear is a toy from present day as well. So the only things those attractions in Tomorrowland have in common is Disney.
Pretty much like the original Tomorrowland.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Twenty-third photo pair: Then: Feb 2006. The Expedition Everest fastpass building had a lot of trees around it back then.

031 Feb 2006.jpg

Now: Feb 2016. Ten years later, the fastpass building is re-purposed as a walk-up beverage stand. The big trees at the end of the building are gone now. There is a curb at this end of the building, rather than tapering off onto the pathway. The small windows on the upper stories have been replaced with a larger window with shutters. It may not be apparent at first, but the lamp pole at the end of the building has been moved closer to the building, as the landscaping border was reduced along the pathway.

Feb 2016.JPG

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Twenty-third photo pair update (see above): Now: April 2016. The construction walls are removed around Asia at Animal Kingdom. All the vegetation at the end of the Thirsty River Beverage building and the lamp pole have been removed to allow better flow of guest traffic. Trees and vegetation have been added on the right side to obscure the Rivers of Light seating areas.

Apr 2016 7716.jpg

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Twenty-fourth photo pair. Then: Feb 2006. The view of Expedition Everest from the pathway overlook after crossing the bridge into Asia. Of course, this is before the Rivers of Light seating area existed. A natural river bank.

028 FEb 2006.jpg

Now: April 2016. The Rivers of Light seating area is completed with the resulting view from the overlook. In the distance, the trees along the pathway in front of Everest have certainly grown up.

Apr 2016 Everest 7717.jpg

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Twenty-fifth photo pair. Then: October 1973. A Swan Boat in the castle moat. The banks of the moat were grass then, which had to be mowed frequently. Notice the tall retaining walls of rock in the background.

008 Oct 1973.jpg

Now: May 2016. 42 1/2 years later. The banks of the moat are now covered with bushes; no more grass to mow. The rock retaining walls in the background are covered with vegetation now. Of course, the trees behind the castle on the right have completely obscured the view of some buildings.

IMG_7823 May 2016.JPG

Chef Mickey

Wow, everything is wrong with the bottom pic.

A boat dock - without boats. A haunted mansion that has cartoonified the hauntingness away. Vegetation best described as 'unchecked tropical', instead of 'thematically correct Hudson River Valley'. No more Keelboats on the river. Ridiculous Rapunzel Tower looming over scary Hudson Valley mansion.
Pretty harsh. I think it looks better now. It looks like a new construction house in the first pic. The trees make it look much older and more haunted today.

You could find anything unthemed in the distance if you take a wide enough picture. Rapunzel's tower is fine and doesn't impact the Haunted Mansion at all.

Goofyernmost

Wow, everything is wrong with the bottom pic.

A boat dock - without boats. A haunted mansion that has cartoonified the hauntingness away. Vegetation best described as 'unchecked tropical', instead of 'thematically correct Hudson River Valley'. No more Keelboats on the river. Ridiculous Rapunzel Tower looming over scary Hudson Valley mansion.
I'm not going to even comment on the Tower because you are confusing a theme park with other attractions as if it were actually on the Hudson River. And along that line... what do you think a deserted, haunted mansion on the Hudson River would look like. All nicely manicured? Who would be paying for that?

Mike S

I'm not going to even comment on the Tower because you are confusing a theme park with other attractions as if it were actually on the Hudson River. And along that line... what do you think a deserted, haunted mansion on the Hudson River would look like. All nicely manicured? Who would be paying for that?
The point is that you're supposed to believe it is. That's kind of the point of theme parks. They immerse you in carefully crafted worlds that make you believe they're real. The Tangled Tower kind of smudges that.

Goofyernmost

The point is that you're supposed to believe it is. That's kind of the point of theme parks. They immerse you in carefully crafted worlds that make you believe they're real. The Tangled Tower kind of smudges that.
No, you are supposed to believe that it is a haunted mansion that happens to be in the Hudson River Valley. Haunted houses are never usually kept up real neat.

Mike S

No, you are supposed to believe that it is a haunted mansion that happens to be in the Hudson River Valley. Haunted houses are never usually kept up real neat.
I was talking about the Tangled Tower being visible. I actually can't decide if I like the Mansion more with or without all the trees. Both looks work to me.

Goofyernmost

I was talking about the Tangled Tower being visible. I actually can't decide if I like the Mansion more with or without all the trees. Both looks work to me.
The tangled tower is just the result of things being lined up, but, only seen from one angle. I think that in a short while trees will hide the mansion. Not everything was hidden when WDW first opened up either. Patience is something that is in scarce supply on the boards. :)

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
The tangled tower is just the result of things being lined up, but, only seen from one angle. I think that in a short while trees will hide the mansion. Not everything was hidden when WDW first opened up either. Patience is something that is in scarce supply on the boards. :)

I do not think that it is patience that is scare on these boards. It is that there are some people that are going to find something wrong no matter what Disney does.

The Empress Lilly

Donald Duck cartoons are great. You suspend disbelief and accept for a moment that duckes can talk.

Star Wars movies are great. You suspend disbelief and accept for a moment that Harrison Ford is actually a cool pleasant man.

But when a cartoon Donald Duck walks onto the Star Wars screen for a light saber fight with Darth Vader, the suspension of disbelief is discarded.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Donald Duck cartoons are great. You suspend disbelief and accept for a moment that duckes can talk.

Star Wars movies are great. You suspend disbelief and accept for a moment that Harrison Ford is actually a cool pleasant man.

But when a cartoon Donald Duck walks onto the Star Wars screen for a light saber fight with Darth Vader, the suspension of disbelief is discarded.
Help me out here... what does that have to do with what I posted? You lost me!

MississippiBelle

Help me out here... what does that have to do with what I posted? You lost me!
I think he's trying to say that seeing the tower in the background is like mixing two IPs that don't belong together into one. Donald Duck and Star Wars are great on their own, but don't belong in the same picture (which Disney would probably argue on, considering they love to dress up the big 5 with different IPs). You addressed this by saying the trees will eventually grow and cover said tower.

Goofyernmost

I think he's trying to say that seeing the tower in the background is like mixing two IPs that don't belong together into one. Donald Duck and Star Wars are great on their own, but don't belong in the same picture (which Disney would probably argue on, considering they love to dress up the big 5 with different IPs). You addressed this by saying the trees will eventually grow and cover said tower.
Well, why didn't he/she just say that. Riddle me this type's of posts are neither effective or understood. But, I must respectfully disagree. Seriously, I understand the desire, but, to expect that everything will completely be segregated in a wide open, flat area like MK, is asking a lot after only a short time in the towers existence. The can move some big trees, but, not all areas will naturally allow that. Give it time and it will be taken care of, not to mention just how petty it is to worry about such a tiny thing. It's a theme park, not a place that really has to be taken that seriously. Relax and enjoy the good stuff and stop desperately searching for something to be upset about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom