News Theme parks way up

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Dueling Dragons were not mirror images of each other, they were different coasters. Space Mountain, with one very small exception is a mirrored coaster.

Like I said, a point could be made that there were 4 attractions, meaning they can be advertised as separate experiences because they are.

The_Jobu

Of course. I’ve always argued that Disney and Universal parks are more than just rides but the entire experience. Which is why something like Star Wars land is collectively more than just two rides.

But if we are counting rides. There was only one new.

I'm confused by this discussion.

What is the argument here, that one ride saved Universal or that one land saved Universal?

smile

Does this mean we can start counting Space Mountain as two rides?
I didn’t realize we were counting dragons as two.
Dueling Dragons were not mirror images of each other, they were different coasters. Space Mountain, with one very small exception is a mirrored coaster.

lol dd the monkey wrench...
one attraction featuring two distinct rides.

to make it even more murky, there was a singular queue, but it split

i do agree that sm doesn't really compare as there is certainly a difference between mirrored, racing, and dueling coasters -
far easier to consider (and joke about) the former two being the same 'ride', but not quite appropriate for the later, imo

lentesta

Premium Member
Disney theme park attendance was up 6 percent in the quarter. P&R revenue was up 13 percent and profits up 21%. Proof that Disney has a very wrong future. Just wait till 2019 with Star Wars and 2021 for the 50th anniversary of WDW.

From what I'm hearing, about half (~3%) of that 6% increase in Oct-Dec was from people rescheduling trips around the September hurricane. 3% by itself is still solid.

peter11435

I'm confused by this discussion.

What is the argument here, that one ride saved Universal or that one land saved Universal?
There really is no arguement. Someone made a comment that guardians won’t save Epcot (which I 100% agree with) because one ride can’t save an entire park. I joked that it worked for Universal because the addition of Harry Potter (which had exactly one new ride) saved the entire resort. Obviously there is much more to Harry Potter at IOA than one attraction or attractions at all. But it was meant as a joke.

LucasCole

Back to the topic sorta.. so on my final night on my trip so many rides broke down in mk I ended up with so many extra fast passes I couldn’t use them all. Space mtn, pirates, Splash mtn. And for a special treat I also got to be evacuated from splash mountain mid lift. At 745 the people mover wait was 25 minutes. Good thing the park closed at 8 or it might have gotten below 20 mins. Pirates was 75 mins at 730 with one side open. But profits are up and avatar is “amazing” so I guess we should be excited about the future of wdw.

On a positive note be our guest is top notch service. At least there’s one example of Disney quality we come to expect.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The angst is strong in this thread...

I just wanna say that I was down there four weeks ago. It was VERY crowded, but I saw no staffing or maintenance problems. Everything was as clean as I'd expect a Disney property to be. The staff was its usual friendly self. It was fine.

Even though the place was jammed with people, I only waited for more than an hour one time over seven days. A large part of that is that I know how to 'Disney'... but, it can still be done.

I don't put much time looking at crowd levels...but undercover tourist is usually pretty accurate and they are showing 3-5s during the weeks and 7-8 on the weekends...

That's not really much different.

There are no walk on days...ever...and they eliminated walk up tables long ago.

If those two changes can't be coped with...then i think it's over for you.

Dutch Inn '76

That usually means you don't ride the busy rides. I remember someone on here who said they never waited long for anything and I asked them to list what they went on. No coasters because they could do those.In fact pretty much they didn't do anything with motion. If you do WDW without out hitting the headline rides then you won't have to wait long. Also if you spend 7 days there to do the 4 parks you will be able to get fast passes to everything if you try hard enough.

I rode all the busy rides - except Space Mountain - that thing is a whiplash machine and I'm done with it. Yes, being able to go in the MK two days helped.

Dutch Inn '76

Back to the topic sorta.. so on my final night on my trip so many rides broke down in mk I ended up with so many extra fast passes I couldn’t use them all. Space mtn, pirates, Splash mtn. And for a special treat I also got to be evacuated from splash mountain mid lift. At 745 the people mover wait was 25 minutes. Good thing the park closed at 8 or it might have gotten below 20 mins. Pirates was 75 mins at 730 with one side open. But profits are up and avatar is “amazing” so I guess we should be excited about the future of wdw.

On a positive note be our guest is top notch service. At least there’s one example of Disney quality we come to expect.

I think that your experience is an outlier. The rides are mechanical. Mechanical things break, deferred maintenance or not. It is unfortunate that you were unlucky.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Point is Moot, Dueling Dragons is gone, being replaced with another Potter ride. I guess you can count the train as an attraction but does it count as an attraction for both parts of Potter? If not which section does it belong to?

The Thing with Potter is they keep adding and it's not just the rides. The wand shop gets a big draw, butter beer etc. etc. Diagon Alley looks great, it's right out of the movie. Looks like Potter will end up being a 15 year project, getting more developed ever few years. The Fear Factor area seems to be next to go for a new Potter attraction.

This is what dusters are saying is gonna happen with avatar and Star Wars...

But it's not if you bet with the house money.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Like I said, a point could be made that there were 4 attractions, meaning they can be advertised as separate experiences because they are.
So would you say that Disney added a new ride this year by making Mission Space Green very different from Orange?

disneyflush

What will it take to cause crowds levels to start decreasing year over year? I think about the answers to this question a lot.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What will it take to cause crowds levels to start decreasing year over year? I think about the answers to this question a lot.

You don't want to know. Wait, yes you do. ;)

Honestly, I think it would take $200+/day park admission, $2000 for an AP, and the cheapest resort room (All-Star level and similar) at $500/night to put a dent in attendance at this point.

Edit: I say "at this point", because guests now are basically frogs in a pot of water. Disney can turn the temp of the water up gradually (ie. relatively-small price increases year over year) and no one notices. You need something to shock them. Those kinds of prices would shock people.

LucasCole

You don't want to know. Wait, yes you do. ;)

Honestly, I think it would take $200+/day park admission, $2000 for an AP, and the cheapest resort room (All-Star level and similar) at $500/night to put a dent in attendance at this point.

Edit: I say "at this point", because guests now are basically frogs in a pot of water. Disney can turn the temp of the water up gradually (ie. relatively-small price increases year over year) and no one notices. You need something to shock them. Those kinds of prices would shock people.

How much does the rampant expansion of DVC members have to do with this? I recently bought in and feel that no matter what the state of things I’ll be walking the parks 2 of every 3 years for the foreeeable future. What other businesses can lock customers in for 40+ yrs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom