Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

cmwade77

I didn't realize judges could revise policies like this. Strike down the existing one and order the impacted groups to work harder, sure. But mandate a new protocol is not something the judiciary should do.
While they might not be able to revise to this detail (although they have in some states), they can order the governor to come up with more reasonable standards and possibly even say that the court has to approve the new guidelines if the existing ones are determined to be discriminatory against one type of business when similar businesses are allowed to operate. In this case, zoo, museums and aquariums are clearly similar enough that they should have similar guidelines with a few minor tweaks.

ToTBellHop

I’m sure there are some judges who would try but it would be ripe for appeal. The governor is empowered to create regulations as a state of emergency and a judge is not. A judge also decided themselves is also more of a unilateral action than the governor who is consulting with a known team of advisory, experts and public health officials. I do think they can try to get an order for another revision but that it is going to be a tough battle.
And if cases spike like the experts predict, this whole argument is moot.

OrlandoRising

Probably should be over in the other forum, but what Florida has found seems to be the case in other states that are looking closely at the causes of death. Possibly 40% OVERSTATED as cause of death. This is according to the CDC rules. So by law of averages deal, in the large state of CA can we estimate with some certainty that the cause of death has been overstated 40% as well?

First is memo, second is full report.

https://www.andrewbostom.org/wp-con...-due-to-COVID-19-Memo-to-All-Hs-Members-1.pdf

https://www.andrewbostom.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/FL_COVID-Deaths-Report-1.pdf

You're actually overstating the Florida Republican House Speaker's claim here. He's suggested the death count may have been inflated by 10 percent, not 40 percent as you claim.

Even that is dubious, as he's relying on the same "with COVID" vs. "from COVID" misinformation as other claims questioning the death toll. "Any ‘current’ count of COVID-19 deaths is more accurately described as the number of people with COVID-19 who died, rather than those who died from COVID-19,” the Republican analysis said.

We've been over this before. Death certificates often include multiple conditions in describing the chain of events that led to death. Just look at an example death certificate from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/blue_form.pdf

From FactCheck.org:
But the data on which all of this is based come from death certificates, which list any causes or conditions that contributed to a person’s death. In the case of COVID-19, the disease often causes other serious conditions, such as pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome. Those two conditions are among the ailments with the highest counts in the CDC’s comorbidity chart. Some long-term conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19, such as diabetes or hypertension, were also listed.

The underlying cause of death, however, is the condition that started the chain of events that led to a person’s death. In 92% of all deaths that mention COVID-19, that disease is listed as the underlying cause of death, Jeff Lancashire, spokesman for the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics, told FactCheck.org in an email.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/

chriskbrown

Call me confused but based upon what we gave seen at WDW where the line for Slinky Dog may start by Voyage of Mermaid - and how tight DL can be, not sure how DL could really do the WDW plan. It seems that what Newsome wants?

MoonRakerSCM

Meanwhile I just made dinner reservations for all 4 days of my upcoming WDW trip. A couple friends called me crazy when I booked that trip saying obviously Dland would be open for Christmas... Now I get decorations and holiday foods and they don't. Nyah.

LastoneOn

You're actually overstating the Florida Republican House Speaker's claim here. He's suggested the death count may have been inflated by 10 percent, not 40 percent as you claim.

Even that is dubious, as he's relying on the same "with COVID" vs. "from COVID" misinformation as other claims questioning the death toll. "Any ‘current’ count of COVID-19 deaths is more accurately described as the number of people with COVID-19 who died, rather than those who died from COVID-19,” the Republican analysis said.

We've been over this before. Death certificates often include multiple conditions in describing the chain of events that led to death. Just look at an example death certificate from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/blue_form.pdf

From FactCheck.org:
But the data on which all of this is based come from death certificates, which list any causes or conditions that contributed to a person’s death. In the case of COVID-19, the disease often causes other serious conditions, such as pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome. Those two conditions are among the ailments with the highest counts in the CDC’s comorbidity chart. Some long-term conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19, such as diabetes or hypertension, were also listed.

The underlying cause of death, however, is the condition that started the chain of events that led to a person’s death. In 92% of all deaths that mention COVID-19, that disease is listed as the underlying cause of death, Jeff Lancashire, spokesman for the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics, told FactCheck.org in an email.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/
I took my que from others on the 40%. My bad. I'm not claiming anything.

Citing Factcheck: that's you're bad.

We can argue details, I didn't do the study. The FL study points out that there are large, and 10% is large, errors in how this is being calculated.

lazyboy97o

And if cases spike like the experts predict, this whole argument is moot.
I’m not sure a spike would change much if the parks do decide to go forward with legal action. There whole argument is that they are safe. They will likely point to Florida being the epicenter of the world when Walt Disney World reopened and the lack of tracing back to the parks.

We can argue details, I didn't do the study. The FL study points out that there are large, and 10% is large, errors in how this is being calculated.
No, it does not. It shows that people continue to want to change long established procedure to get a desired outcome.

LastoneOn

Call me confused but based upon what we gave seen at WDW where the line for Slinky Dog may start by Voyage of Mermaid - and how tight DL can be, not sure how DL could really do the WDW plan. It seems that what Newsome wants?
The capacity limit, the density, its all relative to the plot of land. Not all restaurants, stores, what not are configured the same inside. Around here the local shop owners are both 1) mad they can't be fully open and 2) very strict on enforcing the rules because they don't want to get shut down again. Its why we're getting the mask rage things going on. Employees are directed to enforce the rules and the idiot rage customers don't understand that, like it or not, the business HAS to enforce the rules if you want your stupid cup of coffee.

Coffee. haven't had coffee yet. Bye!

LastoneOn

I’m not sure a spike would change much if the parks do decide to go forward with legal action. There whole argument is that they are safe. They will likely point to Florida being the epicenter of the world when Walt Disney World reopened and the lack of tracing back to the parks.

No, it does not. It shows that people continue to want to change long established procedure to get a desired outcome.
we disagree but that's ok we're all frustrated

Disstevefan1

Meanwhile I just made dinner reservations for all 4 days of my upcoming WDW trip. A couple friends called me crazy when I booked that trip saying obviously Dland would be open for Christmas... Now I get decorations and holiday foods and they don't. Nyah.
Have fun at WDW!!!! As for DL....... You should plan to go to WDW for Christmas too..

D

Deleted member 107043

I realize that SARS-CoV-2 is nothing like Chlamydia trachomatis. But it makes me feel like the Yellow tier standards set for Disneyland as currently presented are almost unobtainable.

It's only unobtainable because of the lax attitudes in the region towards Covid-19 health and safety. If citizens in SF, one of the most densely populated cities in the state, can achieve yellow tier status surely Orange County can.

captveg

Preventing treatment facilities from having to turn patients away... in order to save lives. The point of the 'shutdown' was absolutely to save lives.

But not by directly preventing infection totals, but rather the timing. It wasn't "prevent any curve" that was the rhetoric in March and April. Such a goal was already known to be unobtainable. So it was "flatten the curve".

Gottalovepluto

It's only unobtainable because of the lax attitudes in the region towards Covid-19 health and safety. If citizens in SF, one of the most densely populated cities in the state, can achieve yellow tier status surely Orange County can.
Take a look at those SF numbers again. The real number is 2.5. They tested a crap ton so got “adjusted” to 1.5. So why did Newsom bless them with yellow tier when guidelines specifically say “less than one”? SF and it’s <1 million population isn’t that much better at COVID control, they’re just better at Newsom politics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom