Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

el_super

Why does size even matter if big theme parks could simply limit their capacity to 15% as opposed to 25% for smaller parks. I just don't get why small and big parks are separated.

Also the no indoor rides is ridiculous. Universal Studios Hollywood will suffer more from this as majority of their rides are indoors.

The difference between the big parks and the small parks, is one of attracting more out-of-state tourists. That's something that should be avoided while metrics are being tallied per-county. Having Disneyland open could re-introduce the virus from an external force, and cause Orange County's infections to increase.

el_super

They are going to allow the SF 49ers to have 14,000 fans in their stadium, which is a significantly smaller and less socially distanced footprint than 15,000 people in Disneyland Park for one day. I'd feel 1000x safer being in Disneyland Park with the safety standards WDW has implemented.

But the difference there is in the time someone is in the stadium. Those 15,000 people, mostly staying in their seats, will have 1 or 2 interactions during a 2-3 hour stay (ticket taker/security... maybe a food vendor). People wandering around a theme park for 8 to 10 hours will have significantly more interactions through the course of their visit.

D

Deleted member 107043

Something cannot be impossible if it has been done.

Screenshot_20201021-073032_Twitter.jpg

shambolicdefending

Regardless of which side you agree with more, it's pretty clear that Darth Chapek and Emperor Newsom are at war over re-opening guidelines.

I keep thinking about how this will impact the company's long-term views on investing in Disneyland, and California, generally.

cmwade77

What do they win though? They won’t get to open however they like, so what can a judge possibly do?
They aren't asking to open however they like, they are asking for reasonable guidelines that allow them to reopen, probably something along the lines of:
  • Purple Tier
    • Outdoor only with modifications
    • No indoor queuing for rides
    • Limited to guests within 120 miles
    • Sanitizing high touch areas frequently
    • Sanitizing all ride vehicles every 30 minutes
  • Red Tier
    • Indoor with modifications
    • Indoor activities must be limited to 25% of capacity
    • Sanitizing all ride vehicles every 45 minutes
  • Orange Tier
    • Indoor activities must be limited to 50% of capacity
    • Indoor queuing limited to 10% of capacity
    • Sanitizing all ride vehicles every 60 minutes
  • Yellow Tier
    • Indoor queuing limited to 25% of capacity
  • All Tiers
    • Shopping and dining must adhere to the tier in which the county is in
A judge could indeed order something like this, the theme parks aren't asking to be able to reopen as they see fit, they are simply asking for reasonable guidelines, especially when compared to other industries, such as zoos, museums, etc.

cmwade77

Regardless of which side you agree with more, it's pretty clear that Darth Chapek and Emperor Newsom are at war over re-opening guidelines.

I keep thinking about how this will impact the company's long-term views on investing in Disneyland, and California, generally.
Now, this is a very valid point, at least until politics change in California.

ToTBellHop

They aren't asking to open however they like, they are asking for reasonable guidelines that allow them to reopen, probably something along the lines of:
  • Purple Tier
    • Outdoor only with modifications
    • Sanitizing all ride vehicles every 30 minutes
  • Red Tier
    • Indoor activities must be limited to 25% of capacity
    • Sanitizing all ride vehicles every 45 minutes
  • Orange Tier
    • Indoor queuing limited to 10% of capacity
  • Yellow Tier
    • Indoor queuing limited to 25% of capacity
  • All Tiers
    • Shopping and dining must adhere to the tier in which the county is in
A judge could indeed order something like this, the theme parks aren't asking to be able to reopen as they see fit, they are simply asking for reasonable guidelines, especially when compared to other industries, such as zoos, museums, etc.
I didn't realize judges could revise policies like this. Strike down the existing one and order the impacted groups to work harder, sure. But mandate a new protocol is not something the judiciary should do.

ToTBellHop

No, the poster. He consistently makes legal claims that are blatantly false.
Ah. That makes more sense. Do judges sometimes rule from the bench? Yes, but they’re not supposed to. And no judge is going to say, “I hereby decree that theme parks shall open with 25% capacity in the red tier. I further decree that no more than six Guests may wait in line for a churro at any one time. My final decree is that the Spiderman ride shall open by March 1, 2021 with the stuntTronic.”

lazyboy97o

Ah. That makes more sense. Do judges sometimes rule from the bench? Yes, but they’re not supposed to. And no judge is going to say, “I hereby decree that theme parks shall open with 25% capacity in the red tier. I further decree that no more than six Guests may wait in line for a churro at any one time. My final decree is that the Spiderman ride shall open by March 1, 2021 with the stuntTronic.”
I’m sure there are some judges who would try but it would be ripe for appeal. The governor is empowered to create regulations as a state of emergency and a judge is not. A judge also decided themselves is also more of a unilateral action than the governor who is consulting with a known team of advisory, experts and public health officials. I do think they can try to get an order for another revision but that it is going to be a tough battle.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This. This. This. This. This!

They are going to allow the SF 49ers to have 14,000 fans in their stadium, which is a significantly smaller and less socially distanced footprint than 15,000 people in Disneyland Park for one day. I'd feel 1000x safer being in Disneyland Park with the safety standards WDW has implemented.

*And this is coming from someone who works in sports, and has worked a few events with 15,000 fans in attendance. There was no change outside the pre-existing trendlines for COVID-19 in the region in the 3 weeks after the events.
No they aren't Santa Clara County is keeping sports fan free for likely the rest of the year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom