Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

DugLovesU

It's hard for me to see how this benefits Governor Newsom politically. The rest of the country sees California as very liberal & very blue. But here in The OC where I live we are purple. Close to an equal mix of Dems & GOP. This could cost Newsom and the Dems seats in the coming elections, and they essentially need a two thirds majority to pass legislation over GOP objections. If The OC tilts back to red because people are not working that two thirds majority will be gone.
At my apartment complex in Anaheim about half of the residents are Disney CM's or in supporting businesses and they are all laid off now. Anaheim is really hurting as DL and it's supporting businesses are a huge part of the tax base here. It's all just very sad....2020 sux!!

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes

THANK YOU DARKBEER1! In listening to it earlier, it seems that they are hoping for a collaboration they never received. Hearing what the officials said vs what was done is shameful.
Also, with the theory going around that Universal and Disney exploring opening a food and beverage event, that quote is also buried in a statement seeming that it’s not a route they are necessarily learning towards because it’s a band aid on a bigger economic problem. They can’t bring back as many people and it’s ultimately their livelihoods they are hoping to revive. Closing statements were very sad to hear, where they know they aren’t operate at a Large profit because they know that time is long away, but they want to make sure the lives of the 10k + they each employee, and the small businesses and community they each reside in, stays in tact. The moment that’s gone it changes the entire community. It’s bigger than rides.

also, listened to the Gallagher case with my lawyer partner. Seems to be looking great for us. They did fantastic! Judge said she isn’t ruling today, but with how pressing it is, it will be the next couple days. This is literally so important.

Ldno

It's hard for me to see how this benefits Governor Newsom politically. The rest of the country sees California as very liberal & very blue. But here in The OC where I live we are purple. Close to an equal mix of Dems & GOP. This could cost Newsom and the Dems seats in the coming elections, and they essentially need a two thirds majority to pass legislation over GOP objections. If The OC tilts back to red because people are not working that two thirds majority will be gone.
At my apartment complex in Anaheim about half of the residents are Disney CM's or in supporting businesses and they are all laid off now. Anaheim is really hurting as DL and it's supporting businesses are a huge part of the tax base here. It's all just very sad....2020 sux!!
For democrats being sooo progressive I actually see it as being overly conservative now tbh.

In my eyes I see the governors decisions stick because of Pelosi and Kamala controlling him behind the scenes and since re-election is at stake here, they do not want a slip up to mess their seats and VP images respectively. Democrats are playing this scientific stance right now that they want to show face and make the GOP look bad by listening to scientists no matter what but it is obvious that business need the GOP to save face since we all know Democrats are all anti business at this rate sooo This is why I see from Newsom, he is completely playing the democrat stance by book. Because once Biden wins we are going back into lockdown to get rid of this virus wether we like it or and the senate will try to scramble on how to get more aid for everyone once again. So just imagine January 2021 going back to lockdown I guess if things are not controlled by then, at that point it I feel it will put Newsom’s decisions on a pedestal and make him look good to the rest of the population.

Democrats believe in government overreach, the GOP believe in little help from the government. People are getting impatient because of their finances and no one’s getting anything done in the senate.

DugLovesU

I'm now completely rethinking my entire format for Thanksgiving dinner this year. 🦃

I'm going to put my mind to it and come up with new ways to have an entirely communal experience. And no one is allowed outside. With as many shared serving forks as possible.

I will also mandate a lot of chanting from the guests. And there will be wind instruments (hopefully trumpets or clarinets).

I don't think I've ever been this excited for Thanksgiving! I can't wait to CELEBRATE INDOORS!

For an even better experience--keep everyone locked inside until Super Bowl Sunday. Or until all the Thanksgiving leftovers are finished. Whichever comes last.

TP2000

Well, this was fantastic! I can't say it enough how impressed I've been with how all the California parks have locked arms and are presenting this issue as a united front. Bravo!

A few random thoughts...

• They threw the Four Level Tiers under the bus! They all have no idea how it's calculated, and why a place like San Francisco was allowed to go to Yellow yesterday when all their data says they should still be in Orange. They all want an explanation of how San Francisco achieved that trick. :oops:
  • Universal Studios Prez Ms. Irwin did a great job of saying how they'll try and come up with a food festival in their park, but those events in no way even approach the level of staffing and revenue that the parks could achieve if they were allowed to reopen with rides and entertainment.
  • Ms. Irwin also represented well who her employees are, how stable the workforce is (many work there for decades), and how damaging this closure has been for those lives and livelihoods.
  • Dr. Ghaly did not visit Disneyland, only a few members of his staff did. Ken Potrock said it was "disappointing" that Dr. Ghaly has continually declined invitations to visit any theme park. I would also add the word "insulting", but that's just me.
  • The bluntness and clarity with which all of these executives spoke was refreshing. There was no HR jargon, no PC language or trendy buzzwords. It was clear language using normal English; they even used the words "locals" and "tourists". Governor Newsom could learn a few things from these executives on how to compose sentences in public.
  • All of them had great examples of why they should be allowed to reopen just like zoos, aquariums, museums, restaurants, malls, etc. have all been allowed to reopen. Their messaging was spot-on!
  • The underlying economic issues here were successfully threaded through the entire conversation.
All that said, they seem to have a lot more questions for Sacramento than they have had answers for. They want to cooperate with Sacramento, but they are still in the dark and aren't getting much information from Governor Newsom's administration. This is painful to realize.

If they don't get some sort of information or more productive conversation with Sacramento, lawsuits are coming.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

For democrats being sooo progressive I actually see it as being overly conservative now tbh.

In my eyes I see the governors decisions stick because of Pelosi and Kamala controlling him behind the scenes and since re-election is at stake here, they do not want a slip up to mess their seats and VP images respectively. Democrats are playing this scientific stance right now that they want to show face and make the GOP look bad by listening to scientists no matter what but it is obvious that business need the GOP to save face since we all know Democrats are all anti business at this rate sooo This is why I see from Newsom, he is completely playing the democrat stance by book. Because once Biden wins we are going back into lockdown to get rid of this virus wether we like it or and the senate will try to scramble on how to get more aid for everyone once again. So just imagine January 2021 going back to lockdown I guess if things are not controlled by then, at that point it I feel it will put Newsom’s decisions on a pedestal and make him look good to the rest of the population.

Democrats believe in government overreach, the GOP believe in little help from the government. People are getting impatient because of their finances and no one’s getting anything done in the senate.
You seriously think California and more specifically the 12th Congressional District are battleground areas that might not vote for Pelosi and Biden if Disneyland is open?

DugLovesU

You seriously think California and more specifically the 12th Congressional District are battleground areas that might not vote for Pelosi and Biden if Disneyland is open?
Not San Fran of course, but most of the districts here in the OC are very much in play. As the late House Speaker Tip O'Neill said "All Politics is Loco" (Actually Tip said "Local"...but Loco works too)

TP2000

I get it that San Francisco got extra credit for saving the whales and a gold star for Nancy Pelosi's beautiful hairdo, so the actual scientific transmission rate of 2.5 was graded on a curve and given a San Francisco score of 1.5

But that doesn't explain how they turned the revised 1.5 score into a 0.9 score that is required for the Yellow Tier.

The Yellow Tier was always stated as needing to be "Less Than One", and that language is still clearly stated on the state website that San Francisco was graded by. 1.5 is more than 1.0

0.9 is less than 1.0, what am I missing there? Besides saving the whales, of course. 🐋

I'm quoting myself, because I asked this question above only a few minutes before Darkbeer posted that long interview with the theme park executives. And these senior executives have smart lawyers and government relations teams at their disposal.

If the top executives of California's theme parks think the Tier system is confusing and unclear on how scoring works, and the top executives of California's theme parks specifically called out San Francisco as being a mystery why they were allowed to go to the Yellow Tier when the math and state information says otherwise, then I suddenly don't feel so stupid for also asking that question today.

I'm apparently just as smart as the President of Disneyland and the General Manager of Knott's Berry Farm! 🤣

But the point remains, and theme park executives would also love to know... what is San Francisco's secret and why does basic math suddenly work so differently north of Daly City and south of Marin?

lazyboy97o

Not San Fran of course, but most of the districts here in the OC are very much in play. As the late House Speaker Tip O'Neill said "All Politics is Loco" (Actually Tip said "Local"...but Loco works too)
And amusement parks being closed will do what exactly? The parks being closed is only politically advantageous if the public agrees they should be closed.

DCBaker

Premium Member
California Attractions and Parks Association executive director Erin Guerrero said during a news conference on Wednesday, Oct. 21 that California theme parks are considering legal action to gain permission to reopen or to change the state’s newly-released reopening guidelines.

“I think that all options are open at this point,” Guerrero said during the news conference. “We’re going to continue to explore our options."

“Our number one goal is to be allowed to reopen responsibly,” Guerrero said during the news conference. “Obviously, we’d love to keep that conversation going and come up with a reasonable timeline for reopenings, but at this point any options are viable."

TP2000

Man, I don't know much about this Ken guy- but I absolutely loved everything him and the others in that Zoom call had to say.

Yes! It was refreshingly informative. And Ken did great. They all did great.

Clear, concise, sober, real. No sugar coating, no trendy HR words, and no smarmy marketing talk.

Just knowledgeable business leaders honestly discussing the dire situation they are in, and the frustrations they have with Sacramento as they attempt to fix their dire situation.

I will say, Legoland gets extra points for the snazzy backdrop and sharp business casual look though! :cool:

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, this was fantastic! I can't say it enough how impressed I've been with how all the California parks have locked arms and are presenting this issue as a united front. Bravo!

A few random thoughts...

• They threw the Four Level Tiers under the bus! They all have no idea how it's calculated, and why a place like San Francisco was allowed to go to Yellow yesterday when all their data says they should still be in Orange. They all want an explanation of how San Francisco achieved that trick. :oops:
  • Universal Studios Prez Ms. Irwin did a great job of saying how they'll try and come up with a food festival in their park, but those events in no way even approach the level of staffing and revenue that the parks could achieve if they were allowed to reopen with rides and entertainment.
  • Ms. Irwin also represented well who her employees are, how stable the workforce is (many work there for decades), and how damaging this closure has been for those lives and livelihoods.
  • Dr. Ghaly did not visit Disneyland, only a few members of his staff did. Ken Potrock said it was "disappointing" that Dr. Ghaly has continually declined invitations to visit any theme park. I would also add the word "insulting", but that's just me.
  • The bluntness and clarity with which all of these executives spoke was refreshing. There was no HR jargon, no PC language or trendy buzzwords. It was clear language using normal English; they even used the words "locals" and "tourists". Governor Newsom could learn a few things from these executives on how to compose sentences in public.
  • All of them had great examples of why they should be allowed to reopen just like zoos, aquariums, museums, restaurants, malls, etc. have all been allowed to reopen. Their messaging was spot-on!
  • The underlying economic issues here were successfully threaded through the entire conversation.
All that said, they seem to have a lot more questions for Sacramento than they have had answers for. They want to cooperate with Sacramento, but they are still in the dark and aren't getting much information from Governor Newsom's administration. This is painful to realize.

If they don't get some sort of information or more productive conversation with Sacramento, lawsuits are coming.

But look guys. San Francisco can progress to the Yellow Terror Alert Level. Look! *wink* *nudge* San Francisco can do it. Why can't you? We're obviously not playing favorites here. The Science and Data are determining these decisions.

TP2000

But look guys. San Francisco can progress to the Yellow Terror Alert Level. Look! *wink* *nudge* San Francisco can do it. Why can't you? We're obviously not playing favorites here. The Science and Data are determining these decisions.

There seems to be a legit story there. Like investigative journalists need to dig into that.

How did a scientific 2.5 become an unscientific 1.5, and then how did 1.5 get scored as a 0.9 even though it stayed 1.5?

What's the scoring tabulations used for that magic trick? Please show your work, Sacramento. Ken Potrock and I would both like to see it.

Always Happy

I don't understand how San Francisco County made it to the Yellow Tier either. Their county/city population is just under 900,000 which should mean to make the Yellow Tier they would need a 7-day average of 9 cases daily - right???? I went to SF Counties Public Heath site and they show their average cases per day are 31 - that's three times the amount you can have to make it to the Yellow Tier. I must be misunderstanding something here???

Dr. Ghaly announced SF was in the Yellow Tier and then a reporter asked Ghaly if Orange County can make it to the lowest tier. Ghaly's response was "well if a large county like SF can do it others can too!" Sure other counties can make the lower tiers if the data is manipulated like SF metrics were. Ugh!!!!

lazyboy97o

California Attractions and Parks Association executive director Erin Guerrero said during a news conference on Wednesday, Oct. 21 that California theme parks are considering legal action to gain permission to reopen or to change the state’s newly-released reopening guidelines.

“I think that all options are open at this point,” Guerrero said during the news conference. “We’re going to continue to explore our options."

“Our number one goal is to be allowed to reopen responsibly,” Guerrero said during the news conference. “Obviously, we’d love to keep that conversation going and come up with a reasonable timeline for reopenings, but at this point any options are viable."

They don't sound confident in their case. These guidelines are not very surprising so there has already been time to prepare the documents. Big companies will turn around and sue in a matter of hours in some cases, but CAPA doesn't seem to be in a rush.

SuddenStorm

Yes! It was refreshingly informative. And Ken did great. They all did great.

Clear, concise, sober, real. No sugar coating, no trendy HR words, and no smarmy marketing talk.

Just knowledgeable business leaders honestly discussing the dire situation they are in, and the frustrations they have with Sacramento as they attempt to fix their dire situation.

I will say, Legoland gets extra points for the snazzy backdrop and sharp business casual look though! :cool:

I am a bit surprised by how much Legoland outdid the others. I'm surprised Ken didn't have a Mickey Pin on his shirt. Or better yet, attended the Zoom call from Walt's apartment.

Universal should have attended the call from the Hogwarts queue.

TP2000

I don't understand how San Francisco County made it to the Yellow Tier either. Their county/city population is just under 900,000 which should mean to make the Yellow Tier they would need a 7-day average of 9 cases daily - right???? I went to SF Counties Public Heath site and they show their average cases per day are 31 - that's three times the amount you can have to make it to the Yellow Tier. I must be misunderstanding something here???

Dr. Ghaly announced SF was in the Yellow Tier and then a reporter asked Ghaly if Orange County can make it to the lowest tier. Ghaly's response was "well if a large county like SF can do it others can too!" Sure other counties can make the lower tiers if the data is manipulated like SF metrics were. Ugh!!!!

It's baffling and fascinating all at the same time.

I was heartened to hear that every major theme park executive in California is just as confused at San Francisco's Magic Math as everyone else. And these are top executives at big companies that have access to teams of professionals who can decipher all the information Sacramento puts out and how it's used to regulate their industry.

So if even the Walt Disney Company and NBCUniversal and Cedar Fair can't make heads or tails of it, then you know us mere taxpaying civilians will never be able to understand it.

Literally right now the state website says San Francisco should still be in the Orange Tier. But there they are, shaded a lovely bright yellow instead. Someone in Sacramento has some explaining to do. They should call Ken Potrock first, but then they need to explain it to us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom