Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Stevek

Original Poster
Yes we all get it Newsom made a mistake. God forbid that he isn't perfect. Name one politician that is perfect that doesn't EVER break the very rules they defend. You guys need to get past this. And instead focus on what the vast majority of the medical community across this nation is saying needs to be done to combat this virus until the vaccine is available for mass distribution.
I think it's fair that to point this out in an effort to come off as fair and balanced. I've shared my criticism of Trump many, many times on these boards. But you are correct, all of these politicians make mistakes. One just questions if this was a mistake or Gavin just choosing to not follow his own guidelines thinking he would not get caught. It's very bad optics to say the least.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it's fair that to point this out in an effort to come off as fair and balanced. I've shared my criticism of Trump many, many times on these boards. But you are correct, all of these politicians make mistakes. One just questions if this was a mistake or Gavin just choosing to not follow his own guidelines thinking he would not get caught. It's very bad optics to say the least.
No doubt its bad optics, as is any other politician that gets "caught". The point is its time to chalk it up to a mistake and to move passed this and not use it as the basis for why everyone else shouldn't follow medical advice for combating COVID.

October82

Gavin really getting hammered today as more pics of the event arise with the doors shut showing the group in an enclosed room. Apparently they were shut because his group was getting too loud...

And a tremendous distraction. Whether the governor acts rightly or poorly, hypocritically or consistently, it doesn't help us either control the virus nor understand what policies best balance the need to keep people safe against the economics of these policies.

In other words - if we (including Newsom himself) all agree he shouldn't have done that and the optics are bad - why are we discussing it?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yep, I would never advocate using his actions to not follow medical advise. Wear. A. Mask.
Except that some around here are trying to use this for just that. Which is why I'm calling it out.

I've said already Newsom was stupid. He admitted he was stupid and has tried to provide a mea culpa. But again some try to paint it as "Hey if Gav can do it, so can I". And again that is why I'm calling it out, that that shouldn't be the point.

lazyboy97o

Yes we all get it Newsom made a mistake. God forbid that he isn't perfect. Name one politician that is perfect that doesn't EVER break the very rules they defend. You guys need to get past this. And instead focus on what the vast majority of the medical community across this nation is saying needs to be done to combat this virus until the vaccine is available for mass distribution.
It's not just the medical community in this country, but across the world. It's also laughable on a Disney site. Walt Disney was a smoker who understood it was a bad habit who sought to avoid publicity images of him smoking, knowing he did not want to encourage children to pick up the habit.

jzramom

I'm not savvy enough to post the pictures, but wait til you see them. It's not just one infraction, he broke every one of the mandates he's put out to the rest of the state that's seen the most restrictive lock down this entire time. He's there with not one mask to be seen in the entire enclosed room, at the table or standing in groups all closer than 6 ft. He's there with top medical as well as lobbyists. If the folks who are have all the data aren't concerned why should the rest of us continue to be so isolated and fearful?

October82

I'm not savvy enough to post the pictures, but wait til you see them. It's not just one infraction, he broke every one of the mandates he's put out to the rest of the state that's seen the most restrictive lock down this entire time. He's there with not one mask to be seen in the entire enclosed room, at the table or standing in groups all closer than 6 ft. He's there with top medical as well as lobbyists. If the folks who are have all the data aren't concerned why should the rest of us continue to be so isolated and fearful?

Please don't take the actions of any politician as a guide to how you live your life. If you didn't look to Newsom for how to live your life before now, don't start with this.

D

Deleted member 107043

Gavin really getting hammered today as more pics of the event arise with the doors shut showing the group in an enclosed room. Apparently they were shut because his group was getting too loud...

Citizens are absolutely right to criticize Newsom for not following the guidelines, and thus modeling bad behavior to the public. However, his poor decisions don't make the state's pandemic guidelines moot, which seems to be the takeaway for some people.

SuddenStorm

No doubt its bad optics, as is any other politician that gets "caught". The point is its time to chalk it up to a mistake and to move passed this and not use it as the basis for why everyone else shouldn't follow medical advice for combating COVID.

A mistake is doing something by accident.

Gov. Newsom very deliberately attended an event that goes against everything his administration has been preaching these last few months. That's not a mistake. It's something he should never have done.

It's hypocritical, and damn offensive to the business owners and workers who's jobs and businesses have been decimated due to his administration's policies.

October82

Gov. Newsom very deliberately attended an event that goes against everything his administration has been preaching these last few months. That's not a mistake. It's something he should never have done.

No one disagrees.

It's hypocritical, and damn offensive to the business owners and workers who's jobs and businesses have been decimated due to [the pandemic].

Fixed that for you.

Mac Tonight

Citizens are absolutely right to criticize Newsom for not following the guidelines, and thus modeling bad behavior to the public. However, his poor decisions don't make the state's pandemic guidelines moot, which seems to be the takeaway for some people.
You're right that Newsom's own actions shouldn't negate the health officials guidelines for dealing with the pandemic. I'm certainly not going to change anything I've been doing.

But I just have to wonder now how Newsom gains back the respect or authority he has amongst So Cal business leaders (particularly those within the theme park community).

mickEblu

LOL wait Newsom went on vacation to Maui too? I thought one of the main reasons Disneyland was closed was the concern with the traveling and visitors coming from out of state/ county/ city/ country and mingling. Lol what a joke. In the meantime people are out of work and losing their businesses. I guess these rules and guidelines are only for the lowly peasants. What a bum. Yes I know that traveling to Hawaii is allowed right now. But Maui and his evening at the indoor restaurant are not a good look.

So if all these people without jobs could afford to pick up and go to Maui on vacation that would be the same as Disneyland being open right? It’s all a bunch of elitist crap that you hope the commoners follow while you continue to do whatever you want.

Last edited:

TP2000

Didn't you get tested just for the fun of it?

Yes, in May. At a small clinic setup thing in Orange. I had to lie on the online application and say I had symptoms (coughing), but then when I got there the nurses were so bored they joked with me that I should come back and get another one.

I haven't gone back. It was fun once, but I don't need a swab shoved up my nose again if I can help it. 🤣

Stevek

Original Poster
You're right that Newsom's own actions shouldn't negate the health officials guidelines for dealing with the pandemic. I'm certainly not going to change anything I've been doing.

But I just have to wonder now how Newsom gains back the respect or authority he has amongst So Cal business leaders (particularly those within the theme park community).
It really is a bit of a catch 22 for him. I don't envy him trying to figure out how to balance the health of people and health of businesses/the economy. I guess you can always hope that the economy will rebound (it will) but you can't bring the dead back to life.

TP2000

Really? Pics are available now? I just KNEW that Gavin was lying, and stated that in this thread, when he claimed the birthday dinner was "outdoors". It took me 8 seconds on weather.com to find out what Yountville temps were like that day, plus plenty of dinner party experience with ladies who need pashminas and hot tea served the moment the temp dips below 68 degrees.

Any dinner party host in the world knows you can't have ladies sitting outside at night when it's 54 degrees and dropping quickly. That was a rookie lie to make by Gavin and his communications team. A stupid, rookie lie. :rolleyes:

It's hypocritical, and damn offensive to the business owners and workers who's jobs and businesses have been decimated due to his administration's policies.

BINGO!

A mistake is Gavin stepping away from the podium without putting his mask back on.

This was not a "mistake". This took advance planning for him and the First Partner, communication with both the host and the venue in advance by the Governor's security team, a two hour commute from Sacramento to Yountville in Friday traffic, and a purposeful decision to attend this event that broke nearly every rule in the Governor's own rulebook.

It's offensive on so many levels to so many hard working Californians watching their business and career circle the drain.

Last edited:

TP2000

HA HA! 🤣

I was spot on perfectly right in my assumption I posted here a few days ago about exactly where this dinner took place, in what exact dining room, and how the room was closed off via the sliding doors because the temps were in the 50's and the ladies were cold. Brrr!

Now we've got a second problem here. Gavin Newsom blatantly lied in his apology statement by claiming this dinner took place "outdoors". I knew that was a lie when he said it a few days ago. Now we have proof.

gavin-newsom-dinner-party-01.jpg

But seriously, I really do like those Saarinen style chairs they have. Fabulous!

Here's my post from a few days ago on this exact topic.

Here's the Science and Data on the birthday dinner Governor Newsom attended at The French Laundry this month.

Newsom's dinner took place on November 6th. The weather in Yountville, California that day was partly cloudy with a high of 58 and a low of 44. Obviously the dinner with 12 people was indoors with the windows closed with evening temps in the 50's heading towards the 40's. It was likely held in this private dining room at The French Laundry that seats up to 12 people, since all large parties at The French Laundry need to go through the Private Dining reservation system and having the super cool Governor attend would automatically trigger extra-schmooziness anyway. :cool:

French-Laundry-00115.jpg

I really do like those Saarinen-esque chairs! But it's not an overly large room, as you can see. Often a suburban home has a dining/great room space this size or larger, plus you've got the kids table out in the family room to spread dining even further apart. And rarely does a Thanksgiving dinner stretch longer than 3 hours at the table, unlike the famous 9 course menus presented at The French Laundry.

So if Mr. and Mrs. Newsom can attend a long, indoor dinner in this small room with a dozen other people from 6 other households, then you can certainly have a dozen or more friends and family over to your home for Thanksgiving!
It's COVID-19 Proof! Apparently you can't spread or catch Covid by dining like this.

lazyboy97o

That's just it though, this is not about him. Despite how some keep trying to make it be about him, what California is and has been doing is not actually completely and totally out of line with the recommendations of the medical community. Despite repeatedly saying the guidelines are arbitrary, it seems clear now that those in the amusement park and attractions industry do not believe they have a convincing argument.

TP2000

Aside from the credibility and lying we've discussed, for me this is an issue of the risk analysis that Gavin Newsom and his wife has obviously done.

He is a busy professional. He has four children who attend a private school with in-person classes. He has a very large staff he interacts with daily. He does not work from home. She also is a busy professional with a staff. He and she both know all the data and science that we have discussed here, what type of demographics Covid is mostly dangerous to, and what type of demographics Covid is not dangerous to.

And he and the First Partner specifically and purposely chose to attend an event with 10 other people for hours in a small, indoor dining room. Because they have done the same risk analysis in their brains that I have done in mine, which made me decide to travel out of state for a similar dinner party with my family for Thanksgiving.

I respect Gavin Newsom for coming to the same conclusions I have about Covid and its risks to me and my family. I do not respect Gavin for then trying to prevent others from exercising that same freedom, and then lying about it when he got caught doing it a week after it happened.

And unfortunately this is also directly related to the issue of Disneyland still being closed. Gavin can try and dodge this growing political scandal, but after the Thanksgiving vacation he is going to have to face California theme park leaders and try and tell them with a straight face why they must keep their parks closed and send their companies to the brink of financial ruin. That's not going to be easy for anyone in Anaheim or Buena Park or Studio City to deal with after this mess Gavin created for himself.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom