Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Mac Tonight

Huh? You are making some huge leaps here. No one is saying that it is Disney's responsibility to provide public health assistance. Hopefully no one is insinuating that Disney should be going door to door enforcing mask wearing. What we are suggesting is that Disney can use the resources they have available to help get the message out.
Exactly what "message" needs to get out there that isn't being repeated everywhere you look? How many different ways are there to say "wear a mask, wash your hands, and stay 6-feet from others"? The problem isn't getting the message out there... it's making sure people are actually doing those things.

TP2000

Exactly what "message" needs to get out there that isn't being repeated everywhere you look? How many different ways are there to say "wear a mask, wash your hands, and stay 6-feet from others"? The problem isn't getting the message out there... it's making sure people are actually doing those things.

At this point it's like expecting Disneyland to remind California drivers to wear their seatbelt. :rolleyes:

Speaking of messaging, I offer this hilarious bit of bureaucratic Newsomspeak....

Cases are rising in California and across America, as everyone heads back indoors for winter. California has just released a toothless decree for all interstate travelers to "self-quarantine for 14 days" after they arrive in California, or if Californians go to another California county.

Marvel at how California bureaucrat Frank Kim puts that into Newsomspeak with a reporter today...

“Social gatherings are the greatest activity of risk. Particularly if people are traveling to other jurisdictions and gathering with new cohorts,” Kim said.

One of the brightest silver linings that Covid has brought us is a clear example of how our betters in Sacramento talk. Newsomspeak is a language that is breathtaking in its grandeur!

It's Friday afternoon, so if you are traveling to other jurisdictions be careful which new cohorts you are gathering with, unless they are cute and/or buy the first round. Have a great weekend, gang! :D

Mac Tonight

At this point it's like expecting Disneyland to remind California drivers to wear their seatbelt. :rolleyes:
Err... not to be a stickler, but this is taken from the Mickey and Friends Tram script:

"On behalf of all our cast members, we’d like to thank you for joining us today. Once in your car, please be sure to buckle up, and have a happy and safe journey home!"

But I know what you mean ;)

lazyboy97o

I never said anything about obligation.

I said, I love the implication that Disney could buy their way re-open.
You said "no one is saying anything close to that" and I literally quoted you saying that exact thing.
You’re right, you did not use the word obligation, you used a synonym used in it’s definition. An obligation is “something one is bound to do: duty, responsibility.”

“Disney isn't responsible for enforcing social distancing in your neighborhood or mask wearing at your Halloween party.”

Now you have changed your phasing to something completely different. You have gone from criticizing and misconstruing the suggestion as an inappropriate responsibility to questioning the validity of the idea.

I'm not the lawsuit guy. Lawsuits are costly and time-consuming and very rarely get their desired result. In this case, it seems that Disney will forgo legal action in favor just publicly saying they're disappointed with the Governor's refusal to be more reasonable.
But is it wrong or ridiculous to suggest it as an option? Why do you not mock the suggestion as “not Disney’s responsibility”? Right now Disney’s claim is that they are doing nothing. They could also take action to try to change the situation.

The primary method of challenging a law or regulation is a lawsuit. If Disney truly believes the regulations are arbitrary then they do have some obligation to their shareholders and employees to challenge the regulations. I do not think they would be successful, but I do not think it is wrong to consider and would be very interested in such a case as the process would likely result in requiring the state to publish its research (which should have been published with the guidelines) and the parks to do likewise showing their claims of safety are not dependent on an absence of evidence.

Because of the way California’s guidelines are established there is a second means by which Disney could seek to change the status quo. Disney can engage with local public health authorities to do things like incentivize testing in hot spots to help increase testing and reduce the positivity rate which contribute to the County’s tier. It is an opportunity, a possibility, but not a responsibility. It is something Disney could do to try and change the situation to their advantage.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney USED to do PSAs all the time for all sorts of things such as hiring veterans and other causes:

Why can't do they one for COVID specific to California?

A message like "We at The Walt Disney Company like you want all businesses in California such as Disneyland to reopen. But the only way that can be done is if COVID cases come back down. We all need to band together during this time. Please wear a mask when out in public and socially distance from each other. And please wash your hands regularly. Please do your part and help all Californians during this time of need.".

It would be simple, cheap, and be very impactful. And who knows might actually work and get Disneyland to reopen faster.

Edit: To go along with the conversation they could also include a message about getting tested more often, like twice a month.

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

Because of the way California’s guidelines are established there is a second means by which Disney could seek to change the status quo. Disney can engage with local public health authorities to do things like incentivize testing in hot spots to help increase testing and reduce the positivity rate which contribute to the County’s tier. It is an opportunity, a possibility, but not a responsibility. It is something Disney could do to try and change the situation to their advantage.
Hmmm... that sounds an awful lot like "buying" their way to re-opening... now where have I heard that before???

Mac Tonight

Yes, it is. The issue was your mischaracterization of the suggestion as being Disney’s responsibility.
Yeah... you keep losing me there. When and where did I say that?

All I initially said was: "I also just really love the implication that Disneyland is still in the place it's in because it hasn't chosen to "buy" its way to re-opening."

There is no mention of "Disney's responsibility" or anything close to it in that statement.

You responded to that by saying, "no one is saying anything close to that" which I took to mean, no one is saying anything close to "Disney could buy their way to re-open" and then I quoted you as having said that very phrase.

Good grief. I think this entire this has just been a big misunderstanding.

lazyboy97o

Yeah... you keep losing me there. When and where did I say that?

All I initially said was: "I also just really love the implication that Disneyland is still in the place it's in because it hasn't chosen to "buy" its way to re-opening."

There is no mention of "Disney's responsibility" or anything close to it in that statement.

You responded to that by saying, "no one is saying anything close to that" which I took to mean, no one is saying anything close to "Disney could buy their way to re-open" and then I quoted you as having said that very phrase.

Good grief. I think this entire this has just been a big misunderstanding.
Your initial statement is one of fault. You “love” others supposedly implying that Disneyland is closed because Disney has not bought its way to reopening. You’re describing a causal relationship of fault. If you’re at fault for something then you are responsible for it. You then reinforced this claim by stating “ Disney is only responsible for people on Disney property” and “Disney isn't responsible for enforcing social distancing in your neighborhood or mask wearing at your Halloween party.” You’re the one describing the idea as one of responsibility.

Now you are claiming you just disagree with the idea that Disney could ”buy its way to reopening.” If that was your intent then your comments about Disney being in its place because of its inaction and its responsibilities are completely irrelevant. Why is it a bad idea for Disney to try to “buy” their way to reopening?

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Are they allowing guests to drive through the park? This sounds... interesting.

Just got home from doing errands all day.

Made a new thread with a link showing the map. Enter at the rear Employee Entrance gate near Batman, drive a counter clockwise circle going past Tatsu on the South end, then exiting near the Twisted Colossus exit.

No using the park's restrooms!

Porta-Potties at the entrance and exit areas, but outside the gate.

Mac Tonight

Your initial statement is one of fault. You “love” others supposedly implying that Disneyland is closed because Disney has not bought its way to reopening. You’re describing a causal relationship of fault. If you’re at fault for something then you are responsible for it. You then reinforced this claim by stating “ Disney is only responsible for people on Disney property” and “Disney isn't responsible for enforcing social distancing in your neighborhood or mask wearing at your Halloween party.” You’re the one describing the idea as one of responsibility.

Now you are claiming you just disagree with the idea that Disney could ”buy its way to reopening.” If that was your intent then your comments about Disney being in its place because of its inaction and its responsibilities are completely irrelevant. Why is it a bad idea for Disney to try to “buy” their way to reopening?
1. I think it's hilarious that people on here are acting like Disneyland is still closed because they refuse to buy their way open...
...because...
2. I don't believe Disney can buy their way open.

If that's still hard for you to digest, I'm sorry. I don't know how else to explain it.
And quite frankly, I'm over the semantics games. Have a nice weekend. :)

TP2000

I just got off a Skype call with family, planning Thanksgiving dinner with a big crowd out of state. There will be almost two dozen people from five different households across three different states. There will be boys vs. girls charades, indoor dining, and shared serving containers and utensils. In a home near chilly Seattle and entirely indoors.

But no one can criticize us, because we can just claim that it's not Thanksgiving in defiance of California mandates on travel restrictions, self-quarantine, three-households and two-hours max in outdoor spaces only, and single-serve containers. Instead we will claim we are simply at the lavishly expensive and ultra exclusive French Laundry restaurant in Napa for a political lobbyist's birthday party.

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Gavin Newsom attended a birthday party for a political adviser last week that included people from several households, the type of gathering his administration has discouraged during the coronavirus pandemic.

The dinner the night of Nov. 6 at the famed French Laundry in Yountville in Napa County brought together at least 12 people to celebrate the 50th birthday of Jason Kinney, a longtime friend and adviser to Newsom who is also a partner at the lobbying firm Axiom Advisors. In addition to the governor, his wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, was in attendance.

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

I just got off a Skype call with family, planning Thanksgiving dinner with a big crowd out of state. There will be almost two dozen people from five different households across three different states. There will be boys vs. girls charades, indoor dining, and shared serving containers and utensils. In a home near chilly Seattle and entirely indoors.

But no one can criticize us, because we can just claim that it's not Thanksgiving in defiance of California mandates on travel restrictions, self-quarantine, three-households and two-hours max in outdoor spaces only, and single-serve containers. Instead we will claim we are simply at the lavishly expensive and ultra exclusive French Laundry restaurant in Napa for a political lobbyist's birthday party.

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Gavin Newsom attended a birthday party for a political adviser last week that included people from several households, the type of gathering his administration has discouraged during the coronavirus pandemic.

The dinner the night of Nov. 6 at the famed French Laundry in Yountville in Napa County brought together at least 12 people to celebrate the 50th birthday of Jason Kinney, a longtime friend and adviser to Newsom who is also a partner at the lobbying firm Axiom Advisors. In addition to the governor, his wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, was in attendance.

But but... The Science!?!?!?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom