Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

TP2000

If we can't even get everyone to comply with wearing a piece of cloth over their faces when they're out in public... I think forcing a vaccine on everyone will be a fool's errand.

Agreed. But it will allow politicians who have painted themselves into a corner to finally have an out. They can claim that the vaccine is 90% effective and available and free, so it's the fault of the populace if they refuse to get it.

It's like the Flu and Pneumonia that kill tens of thousands of Americans every year, and many young school-aged children. The Flu vaccine is not 100% effective, and some years it's less effective than others. Pneumonia has dozens of strains, so even if you get Prevnar or the other pneumonia vaccine, you still can catch pneumonia and die.

But none of that mattered for decades, not even the dead school children. Because there was a vaccine that helped protect most folks to varying degrees, so dying of the Flu or Pneumonia was just accepted as a part of life. Covid is going to have to join the Flu and Pneumonia as a possible killer and then we can all just move on and go back to normal.

TP2000

Speaking of Covid, the Four Tiers were just updated an hour ago on the state website.

Orange County continues to improve it's numbers while Los Angeles County numbers are actually getting worse for the second week in a row.

San Diego (Legoland, Sea World) has numbers getting worse like Los Angeles County, so San Diego just moved back up to the naughty Purple Tier. I'm glad I moved back up to OC, because that means indoor dining is now forbidden in San Diego, just in time for winter.

Orange County (Disneyland, Knott's) remains in Red Tier, with Testing Positivity already well down in the Orange Tier. Los Angeles County (Universal Studios, Magic Mountain) remain firmly in the naughtiest Purple Tier with a lot of work ahead of them to get down to the Red Tier.

Last edited:

TP2000

San Diego County (Legoland, Sea World) is hurting from the move back to the Purple Tier. Indoor dining and all bars are now closed, shopping malls and all stores have to reduce capacity from 50% down to 25% just in time for the Christmas season, schools must close and move to online learning only, churches and gyms and museums now closed, etc., etc.

And don't forget, here are the rules from Sacramento for Small Private Gatherings (AKA "Thanksgiving Dinner") for Californians in the Purple Tier:

Small Private Gatherings​

Are allowed outdoors only with modifications
– Masks and physical distancing required
– No more than 3 separate households attend (including the host’s)
– Gatherings should be 2 hours or less
– No shared serving dishes, food should be in single-serve disposable containers only
– Those at high risk of severe illness strongly encouraged not to attend
– Singing, shouting, chanting, or exercising strongly discouraged

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

If Governor Newsom really does what he said he's going to do and slow-walk the availability of the Covid vaccine in California because it was approved and fast-tracked by President Trump, I'll just jump in my car and drive to Nevada

To throw a wrench in that thought process, The American government had nothing to do with the development. Pfizer went out of its way to say it is not apart of America's effort. Germany funded it.

The US did commit to buying it if it receives FDA approval.

Not sure why there is the continual obsession with Newsom not doing things just to spite Trump. He has said multiple times that he dislikes Trump's policies but has a working relationship with him and has gotten anything he has directly asked of Trump.

Regarding requiring vaccinations, within the US you probably won't be able to enforce people getting one, but it is very possible that travel to many foreign countries will require proof of being vaccinated.

mickEblu

If enough people are willing to take the vaccine. Way too many anti vaxxers now. On top of that you have the 5G people and who knows what else. Some won't take it because Biden is President and some won't take it because Trump fast tracked it. Facebook (and other social media) has done a number on the people of the world.

Yeah I’m going to be an anti guinea pig on this one and skip the vaccine. I also assume I’m in the majority and most people just don’t like admitting that out loud.

JustinSt

Speaking of Covid, the Four Tiers were just updated an hour ago on the state website.

Orange County continues to improve it's numbers while Los Angeles County numbers are actually getting worse for the second week in a row.

San Diego (Legoland, Sea World) has numbers getting worse like Los Angeles County, so San Diego just moved back up to the naughty Purple Tier. I'm glad I moved back up to OC, because that means indoor dining is now forbidden in San Diego, just in time for winter.

Orange County (Disneyland, Knott's) remains in Red Tier, with Testing Positivity already well down in the Orange Tier. Los Angeles County (Universal Studios, Magic Mountain) remain firmly in the naughtiest Purple Tier with a lot of work ahead of them to get down to the Red Tier.

Why is Napa still in Orange when it clearly doesn’t match the numbers to be in Orange.

Stevek

Original Poster
Why is Napa still in Orange when it clearly doesn’t match the numbers to be in Orange.
200.gif

LastoneOn

Because the ice cream cart employees arent in charge of guiding a sinking ship. They are sitting at home and are of no value to retain to a company that can't open its themepark.

I'm not sure if you fully understand the stakes of a shareholder owned company. It is actually fraud to knowingly make choices that provide a lower return for your company.

Imagine if you were invested in Disney, the company is losing billions of dollars, and they fire their management in order to keep 2000 churro cart employees on call...
He understands fully. He argues just to argue.

LastoneOn

So with the Pfizer announcement yesterday regarding the 90% vaccine effectiveness (assumming that holds true moving forward) and the Health and Human Services Secretary stating there will be "enough for all Americans by the end of March to early April to have general vaccination programs"...I wonder if the state and country will open the doors everywhere and you assume a risk should you not choose to get the vaccine. Could this mean that Disneyland will open in Spring?

Well, except the "new guy" covid adviser said yesterday that the vaccine should go to the rest of the world before the US. He also is on the record saying people over 75 should, in so many words, take positive steps to end their existences. So, the people who thought the "new guy" was going to be their savior just got told to go ahead and die.

Now Fauci, dear Dr. Fauci, said just today that he most certainly believes in these vaccines and will take them. He wasn't saying that oh, just a week ago. Convenient.

LastoneOn

I wonder if the state and country will open the doors everywhere and you assume a risk should you not choose to get the vaccine. Could this mean that Disneyland will open in Spring?
Not if the governor has any say in the matter. Until there is full equity throughout this bothersome serfdom of his called "orange" there will be no opening. I challenge him to prove me wrong.

LastoneOn

Yeah I’m going to be an anti guinea pig on this one and skip the vaccine. I also assume I’m in the majority and most people just don’t like admitting that out loud.
Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence. I know a couple of geneticists and while they "get it" and get all oooy gooy science-gasm about it, there's that hint of let somebody else be first about the the whole thing. I'm not high risk occupation, group, none of that. Won't be available for my January trip so I think just naturally its going to be in use quite awhile before I get around to it.

TP2000

"Orange County remains rooted in the red tier of the state’s pandemic tracking system, but with slight gains reported Tuesday, Nov, 10, in all three metrics closely watched by the state health department.

The county righted its course this week, after two weeks of rising COVID-19 case rates in late October and early November put it on a path back toward the most-restrictive purple tier.

Orange County’s rate of new cases fell to 5.6 cases per day per 100,000 residents from 6 cases per 100,000 last week.

Testing positivity – the share of swab tests coming back positive – this week inched down to 3.3% from 3.6% last week. Health equity – the share of positive tests in hard-hit areas where residents have less health care access – also dipped this week: to 5.5% from 5.7% last week."

TP2000

huh wonder what happened.

I don't know, but it's going in the wrong direction for LA County the last few weeks. Their confirmed case rate is over double that of Orange County, for example.

But Sacramento County also has rising levels of naughtiness, and they also went backwards to the most restrictive Purple Tier today. So just like San Diego, Sacramento County today has closed restaurants and bars, shut down schools again, closed churches and gyms, and now requires all retail stores and malls to go from 50% capacity down to 25% capacity limits.

That last one, the contraction of retail shopping from 50% of store capacity to 25% of store capacity is really going to sting heading into the Christmas shopping season where most retailers make their profit for the year. Ouch!

TP2000

I think it's because a county has to go two consecutive weeks in the next naughtiest Tier before it actually gets moved there. Sacramento County finally moved back into the Purple Tier today after several weeks of worsening science and data, for example. Same with San Diego County. Orange County is one of the few big multi-million counties that saw science and data improve recently.

But yeah, Napa County is very naughty and will assuredly be moved up to the Red Tier next Tuesday, if not the Purple Tier. Even with getting graded on a heavy curve and having their actual numbers of cases drastically reduced to an "Adjusted Rate" for being the right kind of people that Sacramento approves of, Napa County is still way into the Purple or Red Tiers.

Current stats for Napa, compared to OC. Napa has over double the number of actual cases, yet is in a lower tier.

Napa County as of 11/10/20 = Orange Tier
11.6 New Covid Cases Per Day Per 100,000 = Purple Tier
7.7 Adjusted Cases Per Day Based On Politics Science and Data = Purple Tier
3.3% Positivity Rating = Orange Tier
5.8% Equity Rating = Red Tier

Orange County as of 11/10/20 = Red Tier
5.6 New Covid Cases Per Day Per 100,000 = Red Tier
5.6 Adjusted Cases Per Day Based On Politics Science and Data = Red Tier
3.3% Positivity Rating = Orange Tier
5.5% Equity Rating = Red Tier

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The first California amusement park to reopen under the state’s COVID-19 health and safety guidelines has been forced to reclose after only one weekend of operation following a rise in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in the surrounding area.

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk will reclose after Santa Cruz County moved back to the red/substantial tier 2 risk level under Gov. Gavin Newsom’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy. The Beach Boardwalk reopened roller coasters and thrill rides on Nov. 7 and 8 after the county moved into the orange/moderate tier 3 risk level."

TP2000

Los Angeles County (Universal Studios, Magic Mountain) has also been moving in the wrong direction the last few weeks. But since it's already in the Purple Tier and has been there for the last 10 weeks, it can't get any worse for LA County from a business perspective; most stuff there is still closed or heavily restricted.

Los Angeles County Daily Covid Case Rates Per 100,000, 7 Day Rolling Average. Anything above 7.0 is Purple Tier.
October 27th = 10.1
November 3rd = 11.0
November 10th = 11.5

Cases keep going up every week in LA County. Sacramento can then "adjust" it downward due to, um... science and data, but even with the adjustments downward LA County is still firmly in the Purple Tier and going higher. Universal Studios is going to remain closed for a long, long time.

Sharon&Susan

Los Angeles County (Universal Studios, Magic Mountain) has also been moving in the wrong direction the last few weeks. But since it's already in the Purple Tier and has been there for the last 10 weeks, it can't get any worse for LA County from a business perspective; most stuff there is still closed or heavily restricted.

Los Angeles County Daily Covid Case Rates Per 100,000, 7 Day Rolling Average. Anything above 7.0 is Purple Tier.
October 27th = 10.1
November 3rd = 11.0
November 10th = 11.5

It keeps going up every week in LA County. Sacramento can then "adjust" it downward due to, um... science and data, but even with the adjustments downward LA County is still firmly in the Purple Tier and going higher. Universal Studios is going to remain closed for a long, long time.
Huh, must mean that LA is the Florida of California now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom