Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

lazyboy97o

Most likely. Unless they don’t think it’s worth the hassle based on some intel/ hope/ intuition that the parks could happen shortly after the new year?
Would you place more people on furlough if you think your moment is coming in a couple of months?

Iger is not ceo anymore and his salary in 2019 when there was no virus compared to 2020 when there is a unexpected world wide pandemic and the park has been closed for months are 2 very different conversations. Plus, no one who works for a fortune 500 company pays for a company lawsuit out of their own pocket. Disney's legal team has to hire someone and right now they can't even afford to have a Mickey Mouse Ice Cart in Downtown Disney.
Disney has cash and resources. If they thought they could successfully make a challenge the money is there. CAPA filing on behalf of members would also enable costs to be split between Disney, Comcast, SeaWorld, Merlin, Six Flags, Cedar Fair and other members.

D

Deleted member 107043

Iger is not ceo anymore and his salary in 2019 when there was no virus compared to 2020 when there is a unexpected world wide pandemic and the park has been closed for months are 2 very different conversations.

You're right. Iger gave himself a promotion a few years ago and became Executive Chairman and is still on Disney's payroll. The Disney CEO, Bob Chapek, reports to him. Speaking of Chapek his annual salary is $2.5 million, so perhaps the two of them can get put some of their combined millions together to help Disney pay for legal assistance.

Plus, no one who works for a fortune 500 company pays for a company lawsuit out of their own pocket. Disney's legal team has to hire someone and right now they can't even afford to have a Mickey Mouse Ice Cart in Downtown Disney.

ded.gif

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You're right. Iger gave himself a promotion a few years ago and became Executive Chairman and is still on Disney's payroll. The Disney CEO, Bob Chapek, reports to him. Speaking of Chapek his annual salary is $2.5 million, so perhaps the two of them can get put some of their combined millions together to help Disney pay for legal assistance.

ded.gif
Then why are they firing everyone if they have money, and why isn't there still a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Cart at Downtown Disney?

D

Deleted member 107043

Then why are they firing everyone if they have money, and why isn't there still a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Cart at Downtown Disney?

If you want me to feel sorry for Disney because you think they don't have the money (they do) to hire lawyers you're talking to the wrong person. Ask yourself if ice cream carts are closed and layoffs are needed to reduce expenses then how are Chapek and Iger still able to collect their huge base salaries. Disney has money. A lot of money.

mickEblu

Would you place more people on furlough if you think your moment is coming in a couple of months?

Disney has cash and resources. If they thought they could successfully make a challenge the money is there. CAPA filing on behalf of members would also enable costs to be split between Disney, Comcast, SeaWorld, Merlin, Six Flags, Cedar Fair and other members.

I don’t know. Maybe when you have been bleeding for long enough.

RollerCoaster

You're right. Iger gave himself a promotion a few years ago and became Executive Chairman and is still on Disney's payroll. The Disney CEO, Bob Chapek, reports to him.

Let me correct you. He cannot give himself a promotion. Disney's Board of Directors who are elected by the shareholders make those decisions. Disney is not a privately held company, so Iger is not a dictator as you rudely portray him to be.

Stevek

Original Poster
So with the Pfizer announcement yesterday regarding the 90% vaccine effectiveness (assumming that holds true moving forward) and the Health and Human Services Secretary stating there will be "enough for all Americans by the end of March to early April to have general vaccination programs"...I wonder if the state and country will open the doors everywhere and you assume a risk should you not choose to get the vaccine. Could this mean that Disneyland will open in Spring?

truecoat

So with the Pfizer announcement yesterday regarding the 90% vaccine effectiveness (assumming that holds true moving forward) and the Health and Human Services Secretary stating there will be "enough for all Americans by the end of March to early April to have general vaccination programs"...I wonder if the state and country will open the doors everywhere and you assume a risk should you not choose to get the vaccine. Could this mean that Disneyland will open in Spring?

If enough people are willing to take the vaccine. Way too many anti vaxxers now. On top of that you have the 5G people and who knows what else. Some won't take it because Biden is President and some won't take it because Trump fast tracked it. Facebook (and other social media) has done a number on the people of the world.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If enough people are willing to take the vaccine. Way too many anti vaxxers now. On top of that you have the 5G people and who knows what else. Some won't take it because Biden is President and some won't take it because Trump fast tracked it. Facebook (and other social media) has done a number on the people of the world.
Did you know that if we reverse the polarity of 5G it would *cure* COVID instead of causing it!!?

DrAlice

That's the most optimistic timeline I've heard. I hope it's correct.

To answer your question, I'd guess that you're still looking at a late spring/early summer opening at the earliest (May-June-ish??). I think the state will be looking for numbers to drop before giving the ok to open everything. This will take a little bit of time to happen after the introduction of a vaccine. How long it takes will depend on compliance (as others have mentioned), but also how widespread the disease is when the vaccine is introduced. I'm more concerned about the second part at that last sentence. I don't think there are actually as many anti-vaxxers as it seems. They are just vocal.

Stevek

Original Poster
That's the most optimistic timeline I've heard. I hope it's correct.

To answer your question, I'd guess that you're still looking at a late spring/early summer opening at the earliest (May-June-ish??). I think the state will be looking for numbers to drop before giving the ok to open everything. This will take a little bit of time to happen after the introduction of a vaccine. How long it takes will depend on compliance (as others have mentioned), but also how widespread the disease is when the vaccine is introduced. I'm more concerned about the second part at that last sentence. I don't think there are actually as many anti-vaxxers as it seems. They are just vocal.
Agreed, though a poll on CNN Health in early October showed that only 56% of people would take the vaccine...I think that would change over time if people received assurances it was safe (lots off immunizations, minimal side effects). I really do feel that at some point they say it's an assumed risk as they do with any vaccine. You don't want the measles vaccine, you're taking the risk of getting it and giving it to others that have chosen not to get the vaccine.

You're timeline is probably more realistic...a part of me wants to be optimistic.

Stevek

Original Poster
But again, it becomes a choice right? When does the state say you've made a choice, you live with the consequences? I have no clue.

DrAlice

Agreed, though a poll on CNN Health in early October showed that only 56% of people would take the vaccine...I think that would change over time if people received assurances it was safe (lots off immunizations, minimal side effects). I really do feel that at some point they say it's an assumed risk as they do with any vaccine. You don't want the measles vaccine, you're taking the risk of getting it and giving it to others that have chosen not to get the vaccine.

You're timeline is probably more realistic...a part of me wants to be optimistic.
Well either that poll is sketchy or my opinion is skewed based on my own circle of friends/family. To be fair, my husband and I both tried to enter a vaccine trial but they didn't want us because we aren't health care workers and act like hermits. :D

Anyway, I agree that it will become a personal choice at some point, but I don't think the state will allow that to happen until the numbers go down. At that point, I'm guessing that the "25%" capacity thing will go away too. Again, just my guess...

Stevek

Original Poster
Well either that poll is sketchy or my opinion is skewed based on my own circle of friends/family. To be fair, my husband and I both tried to enter a vaccine trial but they didn't want us because we aren't health care workers and act like hermits. :D

Anyway, I agree that it will become a personal choice at some point, but I don't think the state will allow that to happen until the numbers go down. At that point, I'm guessing that the "25%" capacity thing will go away too. Again, just my guess...
Agree on the %...you never know who is responding. Almost every person I've come across is willing to get the vaccine unless they've already had it an think they are bulletproof. ;)

lazyboy97o

But again, it becomes a choice right? When does the state say you've made a choice, you live with the consequences? I have no clue.
Do they or does it get added to the mandatory schedule? Even though that is enforced through schools, it could be similarly enforced. Universities require immunizations. Employers could be incentivize to require immunization, such as reduced restrictions. Would you take a free vaccine if it reduced your vehicle registration for the year? Publix pays customers to get a flu shot.

Stevek

Original Poster
Do they or does it get added to the mandatory schedule? Even though that is enforced through schools, it could be similarly enforced. Universities require immunizations. Employers could be incentivize to require immunization, such as reduced restrictions. Would you take a free vaccine if it reduced your vehicle registration for the year? Publix pays customers to get a flu shot.
In a perfect world, yes it becomes mandatory. I would not at all be surprised if it's required for schools. Feels like it would be a bit of an uphill battle for some of the population given the current climate.

Mac Tonight

In a perfect world, yes it becomes mandatory. I would not at all be surprised if it's required for schools. Feels like it would be a bit of an uphill battle for some of the population given the current climate.
If we can't even get everyone to comply with wearing a piece of cloth over their faces when they're out in public... I think forcing a vaccine on everyone will be a fool's errand.

TP2000

I voted for Trump and I'm happy to get vaccines. I've gotten all of them in recent years, in addition to my annual Flu shot and a recent TDaP booster (tetanus);

I got Zostavax when it was the only vaccine for Shingles and only 50% effective, then two years ago I got the new Shingles double vaccine that is 91% effective for my age range. I got both Pneumonia vaccines that combine to protect against dozens of strains of pneumonia (a real killer in old folks!). I got the new hepatitis combo vaccine a couple years ago. And I also got a shot for Japanese Encaphalitis just for fun because I travel to Japan and Singapore occasionally.

And the technology on tiny needles is incredible now! You don't even feel it. When I was in the service I think the medics used needles only slightly smaller than a milkshake straw and you hurt for days after.

Vaccines are good for you! If Governor Newsom really does what he said he's going to do and slow-walk the availability of the Covid vaccine in California because it was approved and fast-tracked by President Trump, I'll just jump in my car and drive to Nevada and get the Covid vaccine there. Not because I'm afraid of Covid, just because I think it's important to show my support. And the Bacchanal Buffet at Ceasars Palace is fabulous!

VEGAS COVID.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom