Theme park parking rate increase

Epcot82Guy

To the person who mentioned the wayward method missing the toll plazas and anyone who is thinking o f doing it.... word to the wise. Yesterday I was at the MK and as we were leaving I blew a tire and used that lane to get out of the way of traffic behind me sice the Hess atation is being renovated. To my surprise there were 2 OC Police cars sitting there as I pulled over....as chance would have it I knew one of the officers (I currently work with his wife here in Orlando) and he told me that Disney has asked them to patrol that area to deter people from doing what you have mentioned. Be prepared to present a valid parking pass or be ticketed or turned around to enter the proper way. Thankfully they had mercy as they saw the flat:)

Good to hear (about the patrol, not the flat!). The rules are there, and preventing someone from breaking them, while inevitable, does help to reduce price increases. Now if we could just get some of the OCP-ers to walk the lines looking for queue litterbugs... :fork:

The Mom

Premium Member
WDW and the surrounding area have done such a good job of making a trip to WDW affordable for average people that we've forgotten that it's a luxury, not a right. It used to be a once in a lifetime trip! Now I see people complaining because they can't visit more than once a year, or every year!

My family used to go skiing a couple of times a year, then had to cut it down to once a year, and now, due to expense and aging knees, we don't go at all.

But the last I heard, Aspen & Vail had raised their one day lift ticket prices to $100. When we went 5 years ago, the lift ticket was $65. All that gave you was as many rides up the hill as you could fit in before 5PM. Getting down was your problem. Skis, snowboards, poles, and ski boots were all a separate fee, unless you owned your own. But you still had to pay to have them sharpened and tuned every year, on top of the initial expense.

Then you needed to have googles, and clothing (especially if you live in FL :lol: ) Once children enter the picture, you have to buy or borrow new clothes every year for the oldest. If you made the mistake of thinking you were only having one child, and bought all pink outfits, you would have to buy even more for your son.

Unless you're very patient, or experienced, you have to line up lessons for yourself and the kids.

This is all on top of transportation and housing costs, unless you live near a ski resort. Many of them also charge for parking, and the hotels and restaurants charge WDW rates.

Participation is limited to healthy individuals, so it's not a great choice for the whole family. Most of the time, families spend most of the day apart because of varying skill levels.

There is no doubt in my mind that WDW gives me more "bang for the buck" and something for everyone than most other family vacations.

Maybe that's why even though they keep raising prices, the crowds keep getting worse. And until the prices become as outrageous as some other leisure activities (anyone looked at the price of greens fees at golf courses lately? $100/day/person is not unusual of a top courses!) it will be near the top of our vacation list.

AEfx

WDW and the surrounding area have done such a good job of making a trip to WDW affordable for average people that we've forgotten that it's a luxury, not a right. It used to be a once in a lifetime trip! Now I see people complaining because they can't visit more than once a year, or every year!

Bravo for an extremely insightful post, The Mom.

In so many discussions, the things you mentioned are so often forgotten.

Disney is MUCH more affordable than it was 10, even, 20 years ago. Even if you just look at the last couple of years, most people are paying less for tickets in 2006 than they did in 2004 (back when they were forced to buy all the "options" even if they didn't want/use them).

Great, great post.

AEfx

hokielutz

I am continuing to sing praises about my AP. I saved $99 in parking fees earlier this year... and I can look forward to saving...

Just a sec... still calculating.... does anyone have an abacus?...

$140 before my AP runs out next Spring.

reptar77

Bravo for an extremely insightful post, The Mom.

In so many discussions, the things you mentioned are so often forgotten.

Disney is MUCH more affordable than it was 10, even, 20 years ago. Even if you just look at the last couple of years, most people are paying less for tickets in 2006 than they did in 2004 (back when they were forced to buy all the "options" even if they didn't want/use them).

Great, great post.

AEfx

I agree, Disney has become much more affordable. There are many ways around paying for parking. They do this by encouraging repeated buisness by offering AP, Fl res discounts, DVC etc...

scottnj1966

I am sure it is to try to get more Disney Visitors to stay on property. You get free parking anywhere on Disney property if your staying at there resorts.
That is one of your benefits. The good one is being able to have extra magic hours also. It is worth it.

Also
I am not sure how many people actually drive all the way to WDW to go to only one park. I think the avg stay is 4 days. When you buy a four day pass it is alot cheaper per day.

fargosteve

Wow, you keep posting about how Disney is out to "screw" you, they "rip you off", etc....yesterday it was about the tickets, today it's about the parking.

If I thought a company so awful, evil, and greedy, I couldn't in good faith continue to patronize them.

It went up a buck for OFF-SITE DAY visitors. Disney gives everyone else (non-seasonal AP holders - both regular and premium, resort guests) free parking. It's another perk of staying on property.

AEfx
Hey, someone actually read my posts! Anyway, I do get a little tired of the corporate greed in this country, and I'm not going to be a little lemming and just open my wallet. Is this site only for people to bow to Disney, or is it an honest forum? I've gone to WDW many times starting in 1982, and that's traveling all the way from Fargo ND, and I do love going to Disney, but hey isn't it getting a bit pricey? Not only Disney, but I get tired of all the corporate gouging, heck I even remember my first couple of times to Sea World the parking was free. So please don't go off on me as some negative jerk, I'm just guy with a family trying to enjoy myself a little bit in this world without going bankrupt. A dollar here and a dollar there, it adds up in a hurry.
I'll be there at the Dolphin Sept 22nd, I'd like to meet you at EPCOT for a drink. I'm not a total jerk, just a little bit.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Hey, someone actually read my posts! Anyway, I do get a little tired of the corporate greed in this country, and I'm not going to be a little lemming and just open my wallet. Is this site only for people to bow to Disney, or is it an honest forum? I've gone to WDW many times starting in 1982, and that's traveling all the way from Fargo ND, and I do love going to Disney, but hey isn't it getting a bit pricey? Not only Disney, but I get tired of all the corporate gouging, heck I even remember my first couple of times to Sea World the parking was free. So please don't go off on me as some negative jerk, I'm just guy with a family trying to enjoy myself a little bit in this world without going bankrupt. A dollar here and a dollar there, it adds up in a hurry.
I'll be there at the Dolphin Sept 22nd, I'd like to meet you at EPCOT for a drink. I'm not a total jerk, just a little bit.

So my friend, I guess we should put you in charge of setting the limits as to what a reasonable profit should be for every corporation or company. Or, should a corporation or company even be allowed to make a profit? Maybe all business should be state owned and operated. Should we take the stars off the flag and add a hammer and cycle?

fargosteve

So my friend, I guess we should put you in charge of setting the limits as to what a reasonable profit should be for every corporation or company. Or, should a corporation or company even be allowed to make a profit? Maybe all business should be state owned and operated. Should we take the stars off the flag and add a hammer and cycle?
Give me a break!!!!!!!! ou must work for Disney Corp

The Mom

Premium Member
Hey, hey , hey!

No one is saying that the government should take over all corporations!

I've seen the price of so many things rise "astronomically" over my lifetime. However, it's harder to notice when prices become more reasonable!

I won't tell you how much we paid for our first computer, and how little we could do with it. The same goes for our first cell phone, VCR, etc.

Again, it's hard to sit back and figure out what percentage of your weekly paycheck would go to purchase a WDW ticket or hotel room in 1982. Until you can do that, you really can't say that the prices have increased all that much. None of us want to pay more for anything...that's just human nature. But if you can, try to compute what the real % of income went to a WDW vacation...for the same amenities...now vs 30 years ago. Don't forget to add in any attractions that have been added.

Enderikari

Give me a break!!!!!!!! ou must work for Disney Corp

Actually, I am betting he lives in a capitalist society. One where a corporation, especially a corporation who's product is a non-essential luxury good, has the right to charge whatever it wishes and deems fair for its services. Just as consumers have the right to refuse to purchase into the same non-essential luxury. That is the beauty of our society, with certain exceptions (energy, telecommunications(to a point), and petroleum) we can refuse to buy anything we don't feel we would get our value for. If consumers refused en masse to pay for the priveledge of parking, then the Walt Disney Company would be forced to lower said prices until they reached an equilibrium with the desired number of guests.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Actually, I am betting he lives in a capitalist society. One where a corporation, especially a corporation who's product is a non-essential luxury good, has the right to charge whatever it wishes and deems fair for its services. Just as consumers have the right to refuse to purchase into the same non-essential luxury. That is the beauty of our society, with certain exceptions (energy, telecommunications(to a point), and petroleum) we can refuse to buy anything we don't feel we would get our value for. If consumers refused en masse to pay for the priveledge of parking, then the Walt Disney Company would be forced to lower said prices until they reached an equilibrium with the desired number of guests.

Very well said, but unfortunately, there are those that dont understand basic economics 101.

Disneyfanman

I also still believe that a day in the Theme Parks remains one of the world's best bargains. The extra buck for parking? Who cares. Multi-day tickets are incredibly inexpensive per day. The one day tickets are hard to swallow though. I decided to stay one extra day this year beyond my left over tickets from last year, and 5 one day passes cost me an extra 350! Disney has done a brilliant job encouraging longer vacations by making is sooooooo much cheaper on day 4 or 5 than going to a rival park.

I used to live near the Wisconsin Dells. Extremely expensive attractions. Go to a couple and you have spent more than a day at Disney. Ride the Ducks? (1 hour water land trek). 27.00 per person! Go to a Haunted House? (15 minute tour). 7 or 8 bucks per person. Plan Mini-Golf? 10 bucks a head. Ride Go-Carts? 7 or 8 bucks a turn. The water/Ski Show (Fantasmic blows it away). 20 bucks a head.

Disney is a GREAT bargain! The biggest cost beyond gate is food. That can really kill you. You can eat smart though and keep that down too.

A recent day at Six Flags Great America:

5 passes @ 32 dollars each: 160
Parking 10 dollars.
A really bad lunch at a sit down buffett. 100.00
Snacks throughout day. 50.00

We couldn't stand the idea of eating dinner in the park so we left at 6:00 PM.

That's 320.

A day at Disney.

5 passes at 71 bucks each. 355.
Parking 10
A full service Lunch. 125.
A reasonable Counter Service Dinner. 60
Snacks 50

That's 600.00 for a family of 5, assuming no multi-day pass discounts. More expensive than Six Flags? Yes. But still a bargain, and you can knock off at least 100 dollars if you take advantage of multi-day discounts and eat at counter service (Which is very good IMHO).

We always eat at a full service restaurant once per day, and I almost always leverage multi-pass discounts, so it comes out to about 550 a day for my family. So if I pay 550 or 551........It doesn't bother me.

Have a zippideedoooda day.

leftymoreno

Raise your hand if you miss the security shack that used to prevent scammers like this? The sign that is there currently clearly does not prevent the dishonest ones in there unauthorized vehicles from traveling through private property; perhaps a sign that is just one wagging "Shame" finger would work?

Nah, anybody low enough to avoid a parking fee by traveling in such a wayward direction really has no shame anyway

ahhh...Ive been traveling a wayward direction my whole life...but I digress.

Anyway, just posting a simple observation of a route I know exists. I never said you should use it, nor that I have.:drevil:

Enderikari

ahhh...Ive been traveling a wayward direction my whole life...but I digress.

Anyway, just posting a simple observation of a route I know exists. I never said you should use it, nor that I have.:drevil:

Here's specific direction on how to make a molotov cocktail, with annotated lists of materials needed, as well as cheaper substitutes for the less economically minded....

but I don't suggest you actually make one, what kind of a monster do you think I am?

/sound familiar?
//it should
///its an extreme analogous situation

tirian

I'll leave emotions out of this reply to someone's previous post:

The Reams Road way is a waste of time and money for anyone who isn't a CM. First, it almost doubles your time in getting to the Magic Kingdom. By the time you've been down SR-whatever, turned, and gone through the stop signs and traffic lights, you lose a big chunk of your day. I know; I've timed it. Secondly, you'll pay more in gas $$ to drive around WDW than you would to pay $10 at the tollbooth.

Wise money management says to pay ten bucks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom