Theme park parking rate increase

Tim G

Corrus! Watch your step, please.
Sorry Mah...
291.png

CThaddeus

Imagine trying to organize a boycott of Walt Disney World? That'll never happen.

There's a way around paying for parking....stay on property. That's what they want you to do. They'll get their $10 another way...food, souvenirs, etc.

If they really want me to stay on property, then they should only charge $10 a night for the rooms! As long as the least expensive hotel room on Disney property costs almost three times more than what I can pay for some pretty decent places off property, I won't be staying with the Mouse. To me, a hotel is just a place hold my luggage and drop my head for 8 hours in between Park visits. I'll pay the extra $1 to park the car. $7 for a week certainly beats at least $350 for a hotel (even more if you want to stay at one of the nicer hotels).
They still get their money, anyway. Whatever I save in inflated hotel prices pretty much goes to them in souvenirs. At least I get to take away something from it besides just a memory and the ability to say I stayed at a Disney World hotel.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I am an accountant, so I understand the costs of running a business. My issue is not raising prices, it is raising prices for such things as parking.

I might understand the argument if the parkinglot were a naturally occuring, perfectly flat slab of granite that Disney did not have to do a thing to except fence off so they could put up a few booths to collect money from. However, Disney does run diesel powered trams from the parking lot to the TTC, they have to pay peoples salaries that are associated with parking, security of the parking lot, and maintanance. Last time I checked, I dont think self repairing, striping, and sealing asphalt/concrete has been invented yet and people still throw stuff on the ground, even at Disney.

I often wonder how many of the same people who complain about paying $9 or $10 to park at Disney for a day, happily pay $25 to park at a concert or sporting event for three hours. :veryconfu

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If they really want me to stay on property, then they should only charge $10 a night for the rooms! As long as the least expensive hotel room on Disney property costs almost three times more than what I can pay for some pretty decent places off property, I won't be staying with the Mouse. To me, a hotel is just a place hold my luggage and drop my head for 8 hours in between Park visits. I'll pay the extra $1 to park the car. $7 for a week certainly beats at least $350 for a hotel (even more if you want to stay at one of the nicer hotels).
They still get their money, anyway. Whatever I save in inflated hotel prices pretty much goes to them in souvenirs. At least I get to take away something from it besides just a memory and the ability to say I stayed at a Disney World hotel.

So, when you go on a cruise, do you sleep in an inflatable raft being pulled behind the boat? Just curious.

Tim G

CThaddeus said:
At least I get to take away something from it besides just a memory and the ability to say I stayed at a Disney World hotel.
Maybe Rent-a-Box would be an option??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
295.png
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SpongeScott

I might understand the argument if the parkinglot were a naturally occuring, perfectly flat slab of granite that Disney did not have to do a thing to except fence off so they could put up a few booths to collect money from. However, Disney does run diesel powered trams from the parking lot to the TTC, they have to pay peoples salaries that are associated with parking, security of the parking lot, and maintanance. Last time I checked, I dont think self repairing, striping, and sealing asphalt/concrete has been invented yet and people still throw stuff on the ground, even at Disney.

I often wonder how many of the same people who complain about paying $9 or $10 to park at Disney for a day, happily pay $25 to park at a concert or sporting event for three hours. :veryconfu
Exactly. And I know I sound like a broken record here with this, but property insurance rates are skyrocketing in this state and WDW is not immune to this, I'm sure. They have to recoup that cost from somewhere and this could partially explain the increase in ticket costs and parking fees.

CThaddeus

So, when you go on a cruise, do you sleep in an inflatable raft being pulled behind the boat? Just curious.

You're comparing staying in a Sheraton for $28 a night (Priceline) instead of staying in an overpriced Disney hotel (prices usually ranging from $70 to $250 or more a night) to sleeping in a raft? Interesting. Actually, I feel this to be a VERY poor comparison. If I were going on a cruise, the price includes the room. Buying tickets to get into Disney World does not also get you a room. It doesn't even get you parking...the whole point of the thread! Sure, you could buy the whole package together - air, room, tickets - but that's not the same thing. Those are three separate items that they're giving you a small discount on for buying them together. Someday, if I'm rolling in money, I'll stay at the hotels on property. For the time being, I prefer to use the money I'm saving in better ways.
And yeah, Raven, you're probably right. With all the excitement of being there, making sure all the batteries are charged for the next day, overwatching the Top 7 Attractions channel, etc. it probably is more like about 6 hours...possibly less.

joshwill

I again will continue to refuse to pay, and now feel even better about myself. What a despicable vile action on Disney's part. This is the kind of thing that makes it harder and harder to justify to my hard working poor friends why they should ever visit the parks. I'd love to see a day when people just refuse to go en mass to parks and they completely lose their shirts.

i dont pay either, but then again, i stay at one of the disney resorts so i dont have to pay. :D

slappy magoo

I would also guess another reason to raise the price of parking is to sway large groups towards car pooling. No, not 'cause they're thinking green. There are a finite amount of parking spots for cars. What's the average car load? 3 to 5? If they could encourage more people to pack a car/truck/van/SUV like sardines, it means more cars can park, filed with more sardines paying admission to the parks.

Not the only reason, but I'd bet it's one of the reasons. I'm sure during peak periods, Disney suits salivate whenever an SUV with 10 people are turned away because a lot is full, as they think about all those newlyweds & childless couples hogging up a parking space

leftymoreno

reams road ---> behind the MK, around by Grand Floridian, Wedding Pavillion, and Poly--->around by parking lot, then just before the toll booth there is a left hand turn to "return" to the parking lot...:cool:

KrazyKowboy

Best way to avoid the parking fees ?
Just stay onsite at WDW and park for free !!

If you are staying at a Disney resort, at check-in, you'll be given a parking pass to put on your dashboard. This pass identifies you as a Disney resort guest, and helps you gain easier access to other Disney resorts as well as granting you free parking at the four major theme parks.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Annual Passholders may also park at the theme parks during regular park hours free of charge.[/FONT]

Members of the Disney Dining Experience program may park free of charge at the theme parks after 5:00 pm by showing their DDE Card at the tollbooths.

Non-Disney resort guests, or those staying off Disney property (with the exception of the above-mentioned passholders and program members) will be charged to park a vehicle at the four major theme parks. Guests need only pay for parking once per day and can move from park to park that day without paying again. Show the parking receipt received at the first park to the Cast Member at the next park's tollbooths to enter the parking lot without paying an additional charge.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Parking at Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Winter-Summerland Mini-Golf, Fantasia Gardens Mini-Golf, Fort Wilderness, Wide World of Sports and self-parking at Downtown Disney is free to all guests, including those staying off property.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Self-parking for use of the entertainment and dining facilities at the Boardwalk's entertainment area is also free.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Self parking at the Disney resorts is free to all guests; however some resorts have parking restrictions. The Contemporary, the Polynesian and the Beach Club give guests not staying at those resorts a 3-hour parking pass to allow shopping or dining at these resorts. Parking at any of the resorts to gain access to the theme parks is not allowed. Disney resorts may ask for a photo ID before allowing entry. Some Disney resorts may also ask for an Advance Dining Reservation number from guests who are dining at the resort before allowing access to the resort parking lot.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shades of Green charges $3 to park at the resort.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Swan and Dolphin charge $7 for self parking and $14 for valet parking at the resort.[/FONT]

fargosteve

I think the excessive charges for parking not only at WDW, but other parks as weel is the biggest ripoff of all. How a theme park can charge $70.00 for an admission ticket, and then screw you out of $10.00 just to park your car is the height of greed.
Don't get me wrong, I love going to WDW, but at what point do you have to say enough is enough?

Enderikari

reams road ---> behind the MK, around by Grand Floridian, Wedding Pavillion, and Poly--->around by parking lot, then just before the toll booth there is a left hand turn to "return" to the parking lot...:cool:

Raise your hand if you miss the security shack that used to prevent scammers like this? The sign that is there currently clearly does not prevent the dishonest ones in there unauthorized vehicles from traveling through private property; perhaps a sign that is just one wagging "Shame" finger would work?

Nah, anybody low enough to avoid a parking fee by traveling in such a wayward direction really has no shame anyway

Scar Junior

Thanks... :D

To be honest, :) It's been a very long time since I paid for parking... :zipit: :zipit: :zipit:

Very true. I don't see why this is an issue. If they raised the rates on pop (soda) by $.25 the normal car load would feel the same effect, or perhaps a greater effect. The visiting CMs, APs and on-site guests would all have to pay then.

I'm sure there's a reason. They aren't just trying to milk you for more money. They can do it in far more subtle ways.

People have mentioned other parks, but I don't have much experience visiting Six Flags, etc. Thus, I can only compare it to this... In Minneapolis I pay:

- $12 for 1.5-2 hrs. (for only one class, cuz I commute from the 'burbs), It's over $20 on MWF, when I have 2-3 classes.
- $25 for Vikings games (3-4 hrs)
- $15-20 for Twins games (3 hrs)
- $15-20 for Wild games (3-4 hrs)
- $7+ If I have a meeting or job interview (1 hr)

Why are Disney's prices so "out-of-control?" I could see if those of you who feel that MGM and AK are only "half-day parks" would be upset for spending this amount of money. Perhaps then you'll stay an hour or three and take-in some of the other attractions and experiences that you would have normally written off. And, God forbid.... you may even enjoy them!

But keep in mind, you are a tourist. Even if you consider yourself a traveler or a local, it's still cheap-to-average for a metropolitan parking space.

Enough said regarding this non-issue.

-Scar

Plutoboy

To the person who mentioned the wayward method missing the toll plazas and anyone who is thinking o f doing it.... word to the wise. Yesterday I was at the MK and as we were leaving I blew a tire and used that lane to get out of the way of traffic behind me sice the Hess atation is being renovated. To my surprise there were 2 OC Police cars sitting there as I pulled over....as chance would have it I knew one of the officers (I currently work with his wife here in Orlando) and he told me that Disney has asked them to patrol that area to deter people from doing what you have mentioned. Be prepared to present a valid parking pass or be ticketed or turned around to enter the proper way. Thankfully they had mercy as they saw the flat:)

AEfx

I think the excessive charges for parking not only at WDW, but other parks as weel is the biggest ripoff of all. How a theme park can charge $70.00 for an admission ticket, and then screw you out of $10.00 just to park your car is the height of greed.
Don't get me wrong, I love going to WDW, but at what point do you have to say enough is enough?

Wow, you keep posting about how Disney is out to "screw" you, they "rip you off", etc....yesterday it was about the tickets, today it's about the parking.

If I thought a company so awful, evil, and greedy, I couldn't in good faith continue to patronize them.

It went up a buck for OFF-SITE DAY visitors. Disney gives everyone else (non-seasonal AP holders - both regular and premium, resort guests) free parking. It's another perk of staying on property.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom