Theme breaking entertainment added to Disney’s Boardwalk

jinx8402

There is a difference between a solo artist and a group when it comes to staging needs. If the idea is 'street performers' it makes sense to me for a magician or a juggler or any solo artist to just walk out w/ all their needed equipment, through a rope down and do their thing.

A band needs more set up, a more defined barrier. They really could use a stage -- even an acapella group would stand closely together and not use amplification nor as much space as a group would need.

The boardwalk is the wood looking floor -- any time I've stayed in that area (more than a decade ago) the performers where on the boardwalk, not in front of a store window -- if they were on the boardwalk, I would see water behind them, not a store front.

Anyway, to me it is the look in total and the objections I have to the presentation to me -- it does not show 'world class entertainment company' nor what I would expect from a high end hotel area. To me, it is the wrong setup, the wrong staging, the wrong look for the area and even the wrong placement for entertainment. No worries to me if others think these points are bad faith nor do I have any skin in the game as I will not stay in the boardwalk area in the future, but
I would complain if I were staying there.
I literally posted a video of multiple people performing in the same exact spot, in front of the same exact store that is closed for the nigh. It's almost as if Disney designated that as one of the places these street performers can play. I have personally watched the hula hoop girl perform in that spot.

I don't care if it is a group or solo. This is where these performers have always played, using a rope to make their stage. It is not meant to be some extravagant stage show. And again, I agree that their dress is bad from a theming standpoint and their music might not be tonally correct for the area too.

But you're right, street performers cannot ever be a group of people just putting on a random* show for people

*obviously not random in Disney's case, but there is no schedule so random to those who are actually at the boardwalk.

CntrlFlPete

I literally posted a video of multiple people performing in the same exact spot, in front of the same exact store that is closed for the nigh. It's almost as if Disney designated that as one of the places these street performers can play. I have personally watched the hula hoop girl perform in that spot.

I don't care if it is a group or solo. This is where these performers have always played, using a rope to make their stage. It is not meant to be some extravagant stage show. And again, I agree that their dress is bad from a theming standpoint and their music might not be tonally correct for the area too.

But you're right, street performers cannot ever be a group of people just putting on a random* show for people

*obviously not random in Disney's case, but there is no schedule so random to those who are actually at the boardwalk.

I guess we just will not see eye to eye and that is fine. In my opinion, Disney's standards have dropped over the past decade far more than I had thought.

In your last example, that is a group that understands street performing. Three members block their equipment, the one that needs amplification has his amp behind his leg -- no one will trip over their stuff w/o bumping into them first.

The second group -- a tight line, much like an acapella group the bass player is not on the end, they are back from the rest of the line, but they are one over still using the main line as a barrier -- this helps the public not trip and fall over the groups setup.

Disney's does not look random as they are set up to perform there, not a street group that is nimble, easy to relocate. This looks like a planned entertainment option with zero production and causes it to looks cheap and, in my opinion, is not even trying to imitate street musicians because a band that works the streets would not need space like that nor should they need that much equipment (from my personal experiences).

dreday3

I just watched a video of the jump-roping entertainers on the Boardwalk...very fun!
Dressed kind of like flappers and what not, jumping rope (tricks and stuff) to old-timey music (I'm not guessing the era because someone here will write a 6 page dissertation on why I chose the wrong era) - looked like a good time!

TP2000

Anyway, to me it is the look in total and the objections I have to the presentation to me -- it does not show 'world class entertainment company' nor what I would expect from a high end hotel area. To me, it is the wrong setup, the wrong staging, the wrong look for the area and even the wrong placement for entertainment.

Thank you. This is all of it, completely.

And if there was a "stage manager" who bought off on this concept, they are woefully untrained to do this correctly.

At least at what was once a Disney standard, especially for their high-priced "Deluxe" properties.

I guess we just will not see eye to eye and that is fine. In my opinion, Disney's standards have dropped over the past decade far more than I had thought.

Not just you. This singing group and the excellent points in this thread is just another glaring example of that fact. :(

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I have no earthly idea how you got to that conclusion from the previous comments here.

No one is advocating them losing their job. People just want Disney to maintain the higher standards they once laid out for themselves, especially at their expensive "Deluxe" hotels.

This singing group needs at least a themed backdrop and props, since they appear to be performing in front of a closed storefront; potted plants, boardwalk paraphenalia. The group needs some sort of a wardrobe coordinator, because they just look like 28 year olds going on a weeknight Target run for toothpaste and beer. Do they need full 1930's accurate costumes and wigs? No, but they need something far better looking and more cohesive than what they are wearing.

And what's with the very sloppy stagecraft?!? (This is not entirely the group's fault, it's mostly the fault of the management that allowed this to go forth in front of paying customers at a "Deluxe" property without funding an effective stage manager or appropriate support) I've seen groups performing at hippie streetfairs with better stagecraft and showmanship. They've got their 64 ounce Big Gulps left on speaker boxes, backpacks and more Big Gulps thrown against the wall, sound equipment just plopped there on the ground, etc. And what is with that weird rope thing as their stageline?

If they weren't 30 years old, they look like they could be performing in a high school cafeteria on Student Talent Day.

View attachment 616820

As you know, DCA's Paradise Garden Grill has a rotating array of different bands and groups that perform at the bandstand there. They all have a different look or cultural vibe. They perform old songs and new songs, modern Disney songs and American classics. It's classy and upscale, fun and relaxed, inspired by "vintage" but part of today.

They don't look like they're running to Target, and they left their Big Gulps backstage. (Photo from our friend and fellow poster, @Mousertainment)

img_0114-sm-wm.jpg

No one wants that acapella group at The Boardwalk to lose their jobs, and no one is trying to transfer their personal frustration with their broken dishwasher or broken marriage to a theme park operation. We just want Disney to put in some extra effort, especially at their most expensive hotels, and live up to the old showmanship standards that Disney themselves created and used to brag about to their customers.

This, 100%

Disneyland Resort for the win, yet again.

-

Cado603

Already posted in another thread but feel this needs it’s own. Tonight at the Boardwalk part of the entertainment offerings included an a capella group singing modern Disney songs. They appear to be third party wearing regular street clothes. Nothing was done to make their songs or wardrobe fit the highly themed surroundings. It’s just an inexplicable decision and totally breaks the themed area Disney is always so proud to boast about. We need to speak up about these decisions and tell them we expect better from this brand.

guest.services@disneyworld.com

View attachment 616609
They below in the Springs if that’s what you want! Not Boardwalk!

kaos

First, I'm a DVC owner and member at BW. There is ALWAYS great entertainment on the BW at night. This ranges from the magicians, to the balloon artists, to MANY MANY musical groups that have entertained there over the years that I've been enjoying that resort. The BW is a great place with lots of great entertainment, and I'm happy to see that it's getting attention again!

MagicHappens1971

I mean, I kinda get it, but there are far bigger fish to fry. I always assumed that the Boardwalk was meant to look vintage but not that it is actually set in the past.

Also relatively minor, but friends I know have seen Goofy walking around Tower of Terror. Just regular Goofy. THAT is very theme-breaking.
They do have him in this odd looking get up. But I do get what you mean

Attachments

• 8CCB5341-97A5-40A6-92E2-481C89A59DBA.png
    8CCB5341-97A5-40A6-92E2-481C89A59DBA.png
    383.4 KB · Views: 56

Tom Morrow

They do have him in this odd looking get up. But I do get what you mean

Yeah, that. There is absolutely no reason he should be on the Hollywood Tower Hotel balcony, let alone apparently as a recurring thing. That is like Universal deciding to put the Minions in WWoHP. I feel like 10 years ago, leadership would have been smart enough to recognize that the integrity of the theming of their attractions is important and would not have done this. Now? I've said this before, but... I don't think Chapek & Co. will stop until you're never not looking at a character at WDW.

Last edited:

themerebear6453

I have not read all of the comments on this thread, so sorry if this is repetitive.

Have any of you played Bioshock Infinite? In the game they took modern pop songs and played them in kind of a barbershop quartet style. This game was heavily inspired by Disney's Boardwalk, and it worked beautifully. Unfortunately, Disney seems incapable from maintaining the elaborate themes they created and finding a way to be inspired by itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom