Theme breaking entertainment added to Disney’s Boardwalk

Cmdr_Crimson

to me it's a question about what used to be known as the "Disney Difference"....this is nothing more special than anyone could see at a random local mall, etc.

There needs to be something to tie it to the boardwalk, the era, or something beyond modified Disney songs.
This is what happens when people from Six Flags decide to migrate to Corporate levels and decide to bring their ideas in the park...Why sooner or later will see
  • advertisement wraps on vehicles
  • Cast Members switched to a "One Park" "One uniform" rule
  • Gift shops Turing into Spencer gift style stores
  • The elimination of theming and slapping rides where they shouldn't be and don't make sense of the area..
  • The removal of Mickey & Friends to very rarely limited appearances
  • All ride names for at least 6 years need to be a name based around a Marvel character...Just because..
  • Ah, yes..the most important part...The elimination of themed music in the parks to be replaced with Top 40 playlists.

Casper Gutman

First, I honestly don’t see where you can get that the “majority” of MK is themed or set in the 1930’s anymore. Other than maybe building facades what screams out 1930’s? Is it Starbucks? Is it shopping and checking myself out using online/phone for payment? Is it ordering my food via ap? Is it buying electronic bubble makers and electronic lighted toys? Is it using the Disney Ap to play games and trivia while waiting in line? Maybe it’s getting your picture taken in front of the castle and scanning your RFD chipped magic band to automatically download the photo and then look it at as they add digital characters to it on memory maker? Is it the lasers and projections that are part of the nightly firework shows? None of these things scream 1930’s or even 1970’s for that matter.

People are too used to their modern conveniences to not want to have them as an integrated part of their vacation.

Which leads to my second point, which I believe was mentioned somewhere in this thread. When WDW opened in the 1970’s the 30’s was basically a generation away. It was an era of nostalgia in the same way that companies have been banking on 80’s nostalgia in the 2020’s. The decision and money makers remembered the 30’s either through their experience or their parents, and wanted to share it with their kids. It’s now almost 100 years ago. To younger generations, (kids and people in their 20s to 30s) the 1930s isn’t nostalgic it’s ancient history. There is a reason Walt didn’t theme WDW based upon the 1870’s when he opened the park.
Yup. Frontierland, Adventureland, and Main Street, all set in the 1930s... hang on, that may not be correct...

But I'm sure you're right. Magic Kingdom was themed to the fictional worlds of a child in early 20th-century America. Today, our imaginary worlds are all IPs, like Star Wars and Avatar. This relevance is why AK and MGM have surpassed MK so dramatically in popularity... wait...

OK, let me try this again. People today want new, fresh IPs, not stuff from the 30s. They want Captain America, Wonder Woman, Super Man, Batman... oh... um... OK. Mickey Mouse... huh. I've got it! Star Wars!... based on Buck Rogers... from the... wait... Hey, most of Marvel is only 60 years old, so that supports the point, right?

Actually, let's go with another argument. No one goes to theme parks for the THEME. Just look at how much more popular Six Flags is then Disney or Universal... ah...

UNCgolf

I feel like Disney is moving forward. Right now 80s baby's are going to be turning 40 soon. This is who they wanna market to. I see zero issue with this band performing. I would 100% be ok with a more updated entertainment here.

The era this was originally for is long gone and not even a thought to most people. Disney will not cater to the 70+ crowd the original theme was meant to.

Street clothes are perfectly fine to me if they are good.

Tldr: time to move on with the times pretending to be back in this era is no longer a fun and exciting experience.

Of course it is -- that's why they built it in the first place. It wasn't built for people who actually lived during these times.

Millions and millions of people find this stuff interesting; just because you don't doesn't mean Disney should give up on it. And by the way, I'm in my mid-30s.

Last edited:

LSLS

Thus why I asked what age group is only going to mk for the theme. I live in CT I can go look at old buildings that were real and standing in the 1930 for much cheaper than a Disney trip. Alot of people enjoy and like or even love the theme but it can't be the only reason they go.
I am also almost 40, and I have not been back to Disney in years because they are dropping the themeing from everything. If I want to go to an amusement park for rides, I'll just head to Cedar Point. Though I am also not going to pretend my thoughts are equal to everyone elses.

UNCgolf

To younger generations, (kids and people in their 20s to 30s) the 1930s isn’t nostalgic it’s ancient history. There is a reason Walt didn’t theme WDW based upon the 1870’s when he opened the park.

What do you think Frontierland is?

Very few people who visited the Magic Kingdom even when it first opened had nostalgia for any of the eras depicted, because very few of the visitors were alive during/had memories of those eras.

Last edited:

MrPromey

I see a very strong theme here but it's missing one important element to complete the look - the tip hat sitting on the ground in front of them.

Edited to add - also a stack of CDs to sell sitting in a corrugated cardboard box with a Sharpe price written on the front.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Yeah…but that’s the curtains, not the window.
I guess a band is better than no band at all…but they wanted some cutesy polyester vaudeville looking costumes from Epcot wardrobe…

bless their hearts.

ill say this: I do miss my favorite costumes from boardwalk still to this day 🤔
I'd just settle for them looking like they belong in a group together there singing and not like random guests who hatched a plan at the pool to earn some scratch to help cover their stay.

Maybe all the same color pants and black shoes, at least?

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I'd just settle for them looking like they belong in a group together there singing and not like random guests who hatched a plan at the pool to earn some scratch to help cover their stay.

Maybe all the same color pants and black shoes, at least?
It could be fixed easily with a style guide:

Black or Brown shoes
Pants and tops can be black, brown, maroon, green, navy. Plaids and patterns acceptable
Coats/hats can be black or brown
Bonus points for any accessories that gives some 30s vibes

Easy. They can still give it their own style but the colors match the area and they look like a cohesive unit.

Disney Analyst

I have no earthly idea how you got to that conclusion from the previous comments here.

No one is advocating them losing their job. People just want Disney to maintain the higher standards they once laid out for themselves, especially at their expensive "Deluxe" hotels.

This singing group needs at least a themed backdrop and props, since they appear to be performing in front of a closed storefront; potted plants, boardwalk paraphenalia. The group needs some sort of a wardrobe coordinator, because they just look like 28 year olds going on a weeknight Target run for toothpaste and beer. Do they need full 1930's accurate costumes and wigs? No, but they need something far better looking and more cohesive than what they are wearing.

And what's with the very sloppy stagecraft?!? (This is not entirely the group's fault, it's mostly the fault of the management that allowed this to go forth in front of paying customers at a "Deluxe" property without funding an effective stage manager or appropriate support) I've seen groups performing at hippie streetfairs with better stagecraft and showmanship. They've got their 64 ounce Big Gulps left on speaker boxes, backpacks and more Big Gulps thrown against the wall, sound equipment just plopped there on the ground, etc. And what is with that weird rope thing as their stageline?

If they weren't 30 years old, they look like they could be performing in a high school cafeteria on Student Talent Day.

View attachment 616820

As you know, DCA's Paradise Garden Grill has a rotating array of different bands and groups that perform at the bandstand there. They all have a different look or cultural vibe. They perform old songs and new songs, modern Disney songs and American classics. It's classy and upscale, fun and relaxed, inspired by "vintage" but part of today.

They don't look like they're running to Target, and they left their Big Gulps backstage. (Photo from our friend and fellow poster, @Mousertainment)

img_0114-sm-wm.jpg

No one wants that acapella group at The Boardwalk to lose their jobs, and no one is trying to transfer their personal frustration with their broken dishwasher or broken marriage to a theme park operation. We just want Disney to put in some extra effort, especially at their most expensive hotels, and live up to the old showmanship standards that Disney themselves created and used to brag about to their customers.

Okay yes, I was being a bit hyperbolic.

But the initial posts seemed a bit more… directed to the group vs emailing that they want the group to have better outfits.

I think some of it may be attributed to the cold weather, and if not… they really need a stylist.

CntrlFlPete

I won't argue about the overall aesthetics of the group (it's bad). Or if their music style really fits (debatable, but understand if you feel it doesn't). But let's not pretend entertainment on the boardwalk never used a rope to create the stage area and used the regular surroundings as the backdrop. They are "traveling entertainers" who just set up a spot and entertain.

folks keep showing solo artist, this is a group/band. It is not a rope that is used, it is a rope light -- if they are meant to look and feel like street performers, they should put a tip jar out -- entertainment for the boardwalk should take place on the boardwalk and not on the sidewalk.

Personally, I care less about theme and this only stood out to me based on how unprofessional this looks.

jinx8402

folks keep showing solo artist, this is a group/band. It is not a rope that is used, it is a rope light -- if they are meant to look and feel like street performers, they should put a tip jar out -- entertainment for the boardwalk should take place on the boardwalk and not on the sidewalk.

Personally, I care less about theme and this only stood out to me based on how unprofessional this looks.
It is not a rope light. It is the same red rope used by other performers, including the magician at the beginning of the video I posted. And who cares if it is a group vs solo? They are playing in the same location as other street performers on the board walk.

To MisterPenguins point, those are bad faith arguments vs actual critical arguments of why this is a bad show, which I don't disagree with.

TP2000

What do you think Frontierland is?

Very few people who visited the Magic Kingdom even when it first opened had nostalgia for any of the eras depicted, because very few of the visitors were alive during/had memories of those eras.

Setting aside the fact that Walt had been dead and buried for five years by the time WDW opened in 1971, I can beat your excellent Frontierland example... :)

When Walt was running Disneyland, one of the first big attractions he added to the park was the Sailing Ship Columbia in 1958. It's a full size, exact replica of the original Columbia, which was the first American flagged vessel to circle the globe back in... wait for it... 1787. The ship's crew found the Columbia River and named the river after it. (The Columbia ride was part of the "hard facts that created America" that Walt spoke about in his Disneyland dedication speech in 1955.)

1787 was a full 170 years earlier by the 1950's.

The Sailing Ship Columbia is still in use today as a daytime attraction on the Rivers of America, flying a Colonial era Betsy Ross American flag with only 13 stars on it no less! That ride now represents an era from 230 years ago.🤪

djhkjhgkljhl4687367163.jpg

Disstevefan1

Already posted in another thread but feel this needs it’s own. Tonight at the Boardwalk part of the entertainment offerings included an a capella group singing modern Disney songs. They appear to be third party wearing regular street clothes. Nothing was done to make their songs or wardrobe fit the highly themed surroundings. It’s just an inexplicable decision and totally breaks the themed area Disney is always so proud to boast about. We need to speak up about these decisions and tell them we expect better from this brand.

guest.services@disneyworld.com

View attachment 616609
I will always accept FREE things from Disney as they are extremely rare…

TP2000

Okay yes, I was being a bit hyperbolic.

But the initial posts seemed a bit more… directed to the group vs emailing that they want the group to have better outfits.

I think some of it may be attributed to the cold weather, and if not… they really need a stylist.

Agreed on the stylist, or different wardrobe. I also have no problem with a modern playlist of Disney songs, in any modern format like hip-hop or rock. That's often fun and upbeat! You can't just keep hearing Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey and Oh, Susannah! on vacation or else you'd go crazy. :D

But I think this group also desperately needs the following;
  • A dedicated stage manager to correct sloppy stagecraft issues (backpacks and Big Gulps)
  • A set of appropriate backdrop sets, potted plants, and/or props to define and enliven their performance space. Especially if they are going to perform in front of vacant storefronts like this.
  • A dedicated sound technician to organize/operate their sound equipment "offstage" a bit, obscured by the set pieces mentioned above, instead of just using it as convenient places to stash their backpacks and Big Gulps.
  • Lighting? It doesn't look like there's a lighting package here. They're just playing under the streetlamps. It looks flat. If this is an evening group, they need lighting.
That's just off the top of my head from looking at one photo. I have no experience in stage management or theater arts of any kind, and I rarely attend stage plays. I haven't even seen Hamilton! My last non-Disney stage show I saw was a decade ago when Lesley Gore performed at the Palm Springs Follies. 😥

But I have been to plenty of Disney parks and hotels over the decades, and I know what the expectation should be there for profesionalism and showmanship and stagecraft from small performance groups like this. Especially at the properties Disney prices and markets as "Deluxe", like The Boardwalk.

This group as photographed in this thread is not it.

Last edited:

CntrlFlPete

It is not a rope light. It is the same red rope used by other performers, including the magician at the beginning of the video I posted. And who cares if it is a group vs solo? They are playing in the same location as other street performers on the board walk.

To MisterPenguins point, those are bad faith arguments vs actual critical arguments of why this is a bad show, which I don't disagree with.

There is a difference between a solo artist and a group when it comes to staging needs. If the idea is 'street performers' it makes sense to me for a magician or a juggler or any solo artist to just walk out w/ all their needed equipment, through a rope down and do their thing.

A band needs more set up, a more defined barrier. They really could use a stage -- even an acapella group would stand closely together and not use amplification nor as much space as a group would need.

The boardwalk is the wood looking floor -- any time I've stayed in that area (more than a decade ago) the performers where on the boardwalk, not in front of a store window -- if they were on the boardwalk, I would see water behind them, not a store front.

Anyway, to me it is the look in total and the objections I have to the presentation to me -- it does not show 'world class entertainment company' nor what I would expect from a high end hotel area. To me, it is the wrong setup, the wrong staging, the wrong look for the area and even the wrong placement for entertainment. No worries to me if others think these points are bad faith nor do I have any skin in the game as I will not stay in the boardwalk area in the future, but
I would complain if I were staying there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom