Trip Report The Worst Week: A December 2013/January 2014 Trip Report! *COMPLETE*

You all know the week I'm talking about.

The week that all the guidebooks and fan sites warn about...the parks are packed, Soarin' hits a 4-hour wait, and there are phase closings left and right. It's the week between Christmas and New Year's - the worst week to go to Disney World.

What kind of idiots would book a trip during this crazy, insane time??

Hi, I'm Shannon. Nice to meet ya.
WnDEdit-387.jpg

See that guy in the picture with me? That's my husband, Will. He's sort of my favorite. :inlove: WDW is my favorite place. :inlove: I like to be in my favorite place with my favorite person. :inlove: :inlove:

But there's a catch. You see, this favorite person of mine is a teacher who coaches tennis. So for all of you that smugly say stuff along the lines of, "why not go during off-peak times," (is there even such a thing anymore?!) well, some of us can't. Seriously, like we wouldn't rather go during some random week in February or whatever??? In our case, it's summer or Christmastime for a longer trip. Those are the only options.*

We did the summer thing in June of 2011. It was hot and crowded, and Will swore we'd never do it again. The heat and humidity were too much. I agreed and set my sites on Christmas 2013 pretty much as soon as we got home from that hot, sticky trip. Yep, this trip had been planned (or at least thought about) for about 2.5 years! I'm ridiculous. :facepalm:

But this is where my crazy OCD planning began to shine. Right at the 11-month mark I had our resort reservation secured - no discounts are ever out for that time of year, but I was able to rent DVC points, which saved a RIDICULOUS chunk of change. We still had our APs and Tables in Wonderland card from earlier in the year, we booked flights on rewards points, and thanks to saving up our points on our Disney Visa we had just about enough rewards dollars to cover our food for the week. So as far as Disney trips go, this one was relatively cheap. And I of course woke up early at our 180-day mark to make reservations (19 ADRs! But would we keep them?! o_O) and grabbed some FP+ reservations at the 60-day mark or whatever. I also pored over the few Christmas-week trip reports on this and other Disney boards from fellow *idiots* like me, which were pretty hard to find...because most threads started with someone asking about traveling during this week didn't have actual USEFUL information, just snide replies along the lines of "cancel and book another week."* :rolleyes: Um, thanks?

ANYWAY...I planned for and thought about this trip more than any other trip we've taken, and that's really saying something. But I'd say it paid off overall. :)

*Yes, I'm a little bitter about it. It just got really old to read how stupid people are for going during this time over and over. I promise the rest of the report won't be like this! Let's be friends? :geek:

Last edited:

Ariel484

Original Poster
Love your pictures of the AKL lobby with the tree! We saw it a couple years ago and my pictures just don't do it justice.
Thanks! The tripod helped soooooooo much. Being able to shoot with an ISO of 100 vs. 6400 made SUCH a huge difference when I was editing those photos later. It almost made me want to take the tripod around with me more...almost.
I haven't tried Boma for breakfast but enjoyed it for dinner. It is one of our favorites for dinner. That being said, we are also not the type of people who eat enough to justify the cost of any buffet or family style restaurant. Usually the only time we partake in them is when we get free dining or pay for the dining plan. That way the cost is kind of "hidden" from us and I don't feel as bad not eating a ton of food. It is totally a psychological thing!
I totally agree with you about it being psychological! I think that's part of the big problem for us with these all-you-can-eat places...we haven't used the dining plan since 2009 (and really prefer not to use it, though I don't know that Tables in Wonderland will always make sense for us), so now we really DO have to pay attention to the bill. TiW helps but still...:eek:
We haven't tried the dessert party. The desserts look yummy but again I know we couldn't eat $60 worth of dessert and I am not so into Wishes that I need a preferred viewing area and certainly don't want to pay for that. Now if they were able to set it up at the Main Street Station viewing area then I would be all in!
I truly am not sure that we would have done it if we weren't going at such a busy time. But I'm like you - I LIKE Wishes but am not super into it. You're right though, Main Street Station is a much better view! I like Celebrate the Magic more than Wishes and our view of that from the Tomorrowland Terrace was definitely not as good as it would have been from the Main Street Station.
Skipping around here a bit, but your picture from Dinosaur cracked me up because that is always how I look during that ride. I don't really find there to be scary parts aside from the loud noise and when they take the picture, I am always thinking "Is that really a picture worthy spot?".
Bwahahaha :hilarious: I think what you're saying in the bolded portion is spot-on! I forget, have you been to Disneyland? I know the Indy ride is the same track as Dinosaur, would be curious to try that one out and see if it's better (I've heard it is)!
The elephants are so cute playing in the water! They just needed a waterfall and it would have been a really life Jungle Cruise!
They were, I've never seen them do that before! :) Sooo cute
Hoping you guys feel better for the end of your trip!
We did. Will was pretty much over it by the 2nd day or so, but I think he really needed to catch up on the sleep anyway. It stuck with me for a good chunk of the trip...I think I declared myself nearly 100% better by the 2nd-to-last day or something. The first few days of the trip were definitely the worst for me, but luckily we stocked up on cold meds before we left home, so I was able to keep it somewhat under control.
I should not have just read your Citricos post. I am so hungry after looking at that yummy food. The short ribs and dessert look so good! We have never eaten there but need to put that on the short list!
SO GOOD. You must try it! :hungry: Probably one of the best meals we've had at Disney.

HollyBelle

Love those pictures of Spaceship Earth!

Citricos in one of our favorite signatures right now... glad to hear it delivered!

And I forgot to say this in my earlier post, but lodge-hopping, while it sounds cool, is actually over-rated. I think for us, the split stay made the trip, as a whole, feels less relaxing. So glad you guys fell in love with AKL! Definitely my favorite between the two lodges. Although, the Wilderness Lodge location really can't be beat.

Looking forward to more!

Kristia

Bwahahaha :hilarious: I think what you're saying in the bolded portion is spot-on! I forget, have you been to Disneyland? I know the Indy ride is the same track as Dinosaur, would be curious to try that one out and see if it's better (I've heard it is)!
I haven't been to DL since I was in college with my family back in 1993 pre-Indy. Hoping to get there one of these days! There are a couple flashy parts of Dinosaur and I never know which is the picture and I feel so dumb! :cautious: :D

sweetpee_1993

I think I must've missed the bad Contemporary experience.

Any chance y'all took a bus to the MK then walked to the Contemporary to start your monorail tour? That might've been a good plan. ;)

Love the idea of a monorail resort bar crawl. Maybe I need an earlier flight in for the girls cruise this year. A few drinks will definitely help me sleep better pre-cruise.

Your Grand Floridian pics are gorgeous. I soooooo hope I land there again!

Citricos sounds nummy-nummy! I'm with y'all, fishy things aren't for me. Your short ribs sounded awesome and gnocchi I am definitely down with. Mmmmmm.....crap I haven't eaten yet today.

Enjoying your updates!

Ariel484

Original Poster
Love those pictures of Spaceship Earth!
She's a beauty! Nothing quite like photographing SSE on a sunny day. :)
Citricos in one of our favorite signatures right now... glad to hear it delivered!
Jiko has been my favorite since our honeymoon in 2009 but Cittricos now holds the top spot. The was just an amazing meal.
And I forgot to say this in my earlier post, but lodge-hopping, while it sounds cool, is actually over-rated. I think for us, the split stay made the trip, as a whole, feels less relaxing. So glad you guys fell in love with AKL! Definitely my favorite between the two lodges. Although, the Wilderness Lodge location really can't be beat.

Looking forward to more!
I totally get what you're saying - I think we're over the split stays for the time being. We did a split-stay a couple of years ago (AKL/BWV) and we felt like we never truly settled in at either resort. I think the only time we'll do another is if we want to stay at a moderate for a couple of nights to save some cash before moving to a deluxe. But it was really nice not to have to pack up and move in the middle of the trip. I'm looking forward to trying Wilderness Lodge soooooooon, first time ever! :D
I haven't been to DL since I was in college with my family back in 1993 pre-Indy. Hoping to get there one of these days! There are a couple flashy parts of Dinosaur and I never know which is the picture and I feel so dumb! :cautious: :D
Gotcha, not sure why I thought you'd gone there, hmmm....I think I went once when I was 3 but clearly I don't remember it! We're hoping to scrape together a California trip sometime in the next couple of years.

I have a picture coming up in the report where I clearly thought I knew where the Space Mountain camera was and was mistaken...I get it! :p
I think I must've missed the bad Contemporary experience.
It's not that great of a story....

We had an ADR at California Grill and went to look at BLT before dinner where the front-desk CM was really giving us the stink-eye, so that was weird. Then when we went back to the Contemporary we saw a guest SCREAMING at a CM...I have never ever seen one person yell at another like that. Then at dinner another guest was making some comments about me for taking food photos, making sure that I heard her. :( So really nothing that Disney did (save for the CM looking at us funny in BLT), just some small instances that really left a bad taste in our mouths. By far the most uncomfortable we've ever felt anywhere in Disney. Plus, I guess the more modern aesthetic doesn't really appeal to us. We spent some time during this trip just hanging out in the AKL lobby and I can't really seeing us doing that in the Contemporary. I feel totally silly listing all of that out and I hate that we have these bad memories from one experience because I have read many reports where people stayed at the Contemporary and loved it.

We're pretty hooked on renting points now and are planning on heading back to WDW for marathon weekend next year, and I really want the monorail access for that...so we might give BLT a shot next year. :)
Any chance y'all took a bus to the MK then walked to the Contemporary to start your monorail tour? That might've been a good plan. ;)
I don't think we walked...I truly have no idea how we got there! Maybe I mastered teleportation and didn't even realize it. :hilarious: You're right, that would have been a good plan...DUH.
Love the idea of a monorail resort bar crawl. Maybe I need an earlier flight in for the girls cruise this year. A few drinks will definitely help me sleep better pre-cruise.
Oh totally! It was a good way to kill some time before our ADR. :) I need to give it a shot again when I'm not sick, because I did enjoy my 2/3 monorail bar crawl.
Your Grand Floridian pics are gorgeous. I soooooo hope I land there again!
Thanks! I want to go back there toooo....so nice there. I'd love to rent points at the GFV for the marathon trip I mentioned but somehow I feel like the points won't be there for renting just yet...
Citricos sounds nummy-nummy! I'm with y'all, fishy things aren't for me. Your short ribs sounded awesome and gnocchi I am definitely down with. Mmmmmm.....crap I haven't eaten yet today.

Enjoying your updates!
It was sooooooo good...OMG. I SO wish we liked seafood because I feel like we're really missing out, but it's just not happening. Oh well! :p

fractal

Great report! Sorry you weren't feeling 100%. That stinks about Artist Point - being let down at a signature restaurant is a real bummer.

Love the Christmas tree pictures at AK - wow!

6laurac

Crashing in, glad you had a great trip. I felt like it was on a mini trip reading your report, sure appreciate the boost.
I didn't see either of those great Vera bags but I'm sure one of them went with you. :)

mishel635

Loving your trip report!!! I have a feeling we will be going during Christmas break some day as well so I feel your pain. My husband is a health teacher and football and softball coach so I completely get not having options (especially since I only go down south in the summer if I can lay by a pool / on the beach all day!!! :) ) We are going during our February break next month for our first family trip to Disney!! Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!!! :)
PS- I LOVE the banana stand shirt!!! :)

PartOfYourWorld

The kids section is always a safe option! :) I'm not sure that we'll ever get around to all of the Signatures, mostly because we don't like seafood - so I feel that Flying Fish and Narcoossee's would almost be wasted on us (which is sad because I hear consistently great reviews about both places). We've never been super interested in Brown Derby or Yachtsman...and I know Le Cellier is Signature now but in my mind it doesn't REALLY count, ya know?! We need to try California Grill again someday...

Sounds perfect! :) I seem to remember sleepy oddly well the nights before the races...despite the excitement and all that. I hope the same happens for you...even if you don't get perfect nights of sleep adrenaline should carry you through.

I'm sure he will too...hopefully he knows to pace himself in the earlier courses! :eek:

I hear ya about LeCellier...I don't really think of it as signature either...And now after reading your Citricos post...GOTTA TRY THAT!

That's good to hear! I hope I can sleep well too! I mean I will be running on short sleep from an early flight anyway and being in Disney it's always a good nights sleep! I find I sleep my best when there even with the getting up early for rope drop sometimes! I think it's all the playing in the parks all the time.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Great report! Sorry you weren't feeling 100%. That stinks about Artist Point - being let down at a signature restaurant is a real bummer.
Thanks Chris! Yeah, I guess not all of the meals can be winners. :( Still glad we tried it out, I would have always wondered otherwise.
Love the Christmas tree pictures at AK - wow!
Thank you!! :happy:
Crashing in, glad you had a great trip. I felt like it was on a mini trip reading your report, sure appreciate the boost.
Great, glad to hear it! :)
I didn't see either of those great Vera bags but I'm sure one of them went with you. :)
Oh yes, the backpack came! See the strap? :)
WDWHolidayEdit-068.jpg

The hipster didn't come, but it's my everyday purse at home and is sitting next to me on my desk right now. :inlove: I kept an eye out for more Veras while we were in WDW and the only ones I saw were the large duffels in all 3 patterns and the blankets in the other 2 patterns. So those bad boys are selling like hotcakes!
Loving your trip report!!! I have a feeling we will be going during Christmas break some day as well so I feel your pain. My husband is a health teacher and football and softball coach so I completely get not having options (especially since I only go down south in the summer if I can lay by a pool / on the beach all day!!! :) ) We are going during our February break next month for our first family trip to Disney!! Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!!! :)
Thank you! Ah, yes, sounds like you're in almost the exact same situation we are. February break, you say? That doesn't sound too bad! We don't get that here...we did go to WDW over Thanksgiving in 2009 so I guess that's the other option. I hope you have a wonderful trip!!
PS- I LOVE the banana stand shirt!!! :)
YESSSS thank you! There's always money in the banana stand! :geek:
I hear ya about LeCellier...I don't really think of it as signature either...And now after reading your Citricos post...GOTTA TRY THAT!
AGREE ON ALL COUNTS! :D
That's good to hear! I hope I can sleep well too! I mean I will be running on short sleep from an early flight anyway and being in Disney it's always a good nights sleep! I find I sleep my best when there even with the getting up early for rope drop sometimes! I think it's all the playing in the parks all the time.
The early flight should help a lot! For me I have more trouble sleeping in the weeks/months leading up to the races because I start to have dreams that I, like, miss the race starts or forge to pack my shoes or whatever. :grumpy: Then I get to Disney and I'm out like a light.

Ariel484

Original Poster
We paid our check and headed out to the monorail. Time for a night of fun in the Magic Kingdom...right? o_O

We had 3 FP+ lined up for this evening: Haunted Mansion (8:20-9:20PM), Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (10PM - 11PM) and Space Mountain (11PM - 12AM). I knew that this evening there would be a preview of the New Year's Eve fireworks - Fantasy in the Sky - at 8:30 and 11:50PM, so I was hoping that we'd arrive at the park in time to use our FP+ and then dart out to the Poly beach to catch the 11:50 show. I thought the park might be a little more crowded this evening, but we had FP+ all set up and an outside-of-the-park firework plan, so I wasn't too worried.

Ha...that’s cute. :rolleyes: How naive of me.

We arrived just as the 8:30 fireworks were ending.
WDWHolidayEdit-220.jpg

WORST. TIMING. EVER.

We headed under the train station and onto Main Street. And then...oh man. The Incident That Must Not Be Named. :facepalm:

Saying that the amount of people crammed onto Main Street was "crazy" doesn't do it justice. It was the most crowded I've ever seen a place, ever. Not just Main Street. I’m talking about any place, anywhere. It was...ugh. I'm pretty sure the word Will would use here would be "horrific."

This is the only crowd shot I got while we were trying to swim up the hub.
IMG_2108.jpg

It was AWFUL. I'm sure part of it was the holiday crowds (which, up until now, really hadn't bothered us at all), but I think the main issue was the fact that we were coming into the park as fireworks were ending.

Will's not claustrophobic, but I could tell he was about to completely lose it. I think the only thing that made it bearable for me was the fact that, shockingly, all of the other guests were being very cooperative. Don't get me wrong, we still got bumped into and people weren't totally aware of their surroundings (by far my biggest pet peeve of the week :grumpy:), but everyone kept it civil and had good attitudes about the whole thing.

We kept inching our way forward and, about 20 minutes later (seriously) somehow made it to Tomorrowland, which was much less crowded. I have to say, the Cast Members at the Magic Kingdom that evening were pretty awesome. There were a ton of them, and they actually made a human chain and instructed us to keep to the right-hand side (notice in the picture above that everyone going in the same direction we were, were on the right-hand side...everyone on the left-hand side is leaving the park). And all of these CMs had smiles on their faces while getting pressed on from all sides. It was impressive.

Anyway, by then we knew we were going to miss our Haunted Mansion FP+, despite the fact that we'd arrive at the park with 30-40 minutes left in our FP+ window. As much as it pained me to do it, I asked Will if he just wanted to turn right around and leave. :cry: By now we were almost to Liberty Square, so we ducked into Liberty Tree Tavern to use their bathrooms and figure out what to do. Will pointed out that leaving the Magic Kingdom meant that we had to go back down Main Street and right back into the mayhem we'd just escaped, so we agreed that we probably shouldn't try to leave just yet. We plopped down on a bench outside of LTT and I consulted the MDE app and found the one nearby attraction with a short wait time.

Five minutes later, we were in the Hall of Presidents. :inlove::inlove::inlove: First time for both of us, and we now have a certain fondness for that ride...not because it was amazing or anything - though we both definitely liked it - but because we could sit there in the quiet theater with our own space and calm down (and let's face it, listening to Morgan Freeman talk is really quite soothing). By the time it was over we'd gotten a second wind...woohoo!

We made our way to Frontierland to use our set of BTMRR FP+. It was so nice to have room to breathe on those walkways. The atmosphere was definitely festive...there was a DJ on top of the Country Bear Jamboree building spinning tunes and trying to pump people up. The CMs looked to be having a great time (one of my favorite memories from this night was seeing a group of Adventureland CMs doing the Cuban Shuffle - just loved seeing them having fun).

So anyway, we rode BTMRR. So much fun in the dark!

From there we headed to Tomorrowland (again, nowhere NEAR as crowded as Main Street had been), and on the way we decided to bag Fantasy in the Sky. It would be too much trouble to get back to AKL from the Polynesian, and with the crowds in MK that night there was no way we were staying in the park to watch the show. :grumpy:

Time for a flight through Space! Clearly someone forgot what side the camera is on...:hilarious:
IMG_2112.JPG

By the time our Space adventure was over I think it was about 11:45...so we high-tailed it out of there (via the bypass to Main Street from Tomorrowland - so glad not to have to go down Main Street again!) and retreated to the safety of Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was quiet there. :D People didn't bump into us. :D We had our own personal space again. :D

Ahhh...:D

Last edited:

Ariel484

Original Poster
Day 4: Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I began my last morning of 2013 by waking up early and having an amazing run on the treadmill...

...FALSE. I slept in again! 0-for-2 on planned gym visits so far! :facepalm: But man...we were loving how much we were sleeping in on this trip. Not only did it help the sicknesses (Will's was pretty much gone by now, but it seemed he really needed to catch up on the sleep anyway...I was still struggling and had to start putting Aquaphor on my poor, chapped nose) but it made the trip really feel like VACATION. I could get used to this!

Our first stop this morning was the front desk to confirm that we did not have to switch rooms. Success! That was awesome. We also changed our Magic Bands on this day...even though we were in the same resort we still had 2 separate reservation numbers, so Disney had sent us 2 sets of Magic Bands (seems kind of wasteful but hey, what do I know :rolleyes:). Will came up with a great idea of making our first set 1 matching color and our second set 1 matching color so there'd be no confusion when it came time to switch. So we set the blue bands aside (and I de-activated them online) and were sporting the red bands from now on.

We grabbed a bus to Hollywood Studios and, upon arriving at the park, took a hard right and made our way toward the Boardwalk. I always forget how long that walk is.
WDWHolidayEdit-222.jpg

This is definitely one of my favorite areas on property. We stayed at the Boardwalk for our honeymoon, so it definitely holds a special place in our hearts. :inlove:
IMG_2114.jpg

WDWHolidayEdit-223.jpg

Our first destination was the newly (to us) expanded Boardwalk Bakery. Time for brunch! What to choose??!
IMG_2113.jpg

We ordered our breakfast and coffee and grabbed a table on the Boardwalk. Bliss. :inlove:

OM NOM NOM NOM! Two buttermilk biscuit egg sandwiches, one with bacon, one with turkey sausage...fruit cups on the side. I also picked out a cupcake for later (not yet pictured).
WDWHolidayEdit-224.jpg

We were very happy with these sandwiches. Kind of hard to eat out over the box and we didn't think to ask for any plates, but those biscuits were sooooooo good - very buttery and flaky. I highly recommend these sandwiches!

PHOTOBOMB.
WDWHolidayEdit-225.jpg

WDWHolidayEdit-226.jpg

WDWHolidayEdit-227.jpg

WDWHolidayEdit-228.jpg

Last edited:

Kristia

Hahahahahaha!!! Love the SM picture! Much better than Dinosaur! Those crowds look absolutely horrendous! Anytime I am stuck in crowds like that, I think of Elaine on Seinfeld when she was stuck on the subway with a ton of people. I just start screaming and stomping my feet (all in my head of course)!

Ariel484

Original Poster
Hahahahahaha!!! Love the SM picture! Much better than Dinosaur! Those crowds look absolutely horrendous! Anytime I am stuck in crowds like that, I think of Elaine on Seinfeld when she was stuck on the subway with a ton of people. I just start screaming and stomping my feet (all in my head of course)!
Haha, I thought you'd like that one! :D

Those crowds were baaaaad. The good news is that the 12/30 crowds were by far the worst we experienced all week. Whew! I'm pretty sure Will was pulling an Elaine inside :p I think I just sort of zoned out and allowed myself to be herded like the sheep I am.
That first picture of Boardwalk is amazing !
Thank you so much!! :happy:

lbrad

WOW! All caught up again. Great TR! Loving all the Christmas pictures.
Really like the picture of the balloons at GF ... cool shot!
DH & I did not care for Citricos ... Our entree & server were both sub par (only went once ... won't go back) ... BUT we did love our desserts :p
You were lucky with your ADR cancellations & not being charged ... we were not so lucky (in November).
I hate the new cancellation policy :(
DH & I are in the same situation as you. DH is a school teacher ... so holidays and summer are when we can go too, kinda stinks, but we do it :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom