News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Drdcm

The google stock widget is actually kind of cool.

If you select max for timeframe, it goes all the way back to the 80s and shows major events that likely contributed to large swings in value.

Interestingly, the last time stock was around this level, was in 2015 as it rose from Frozen’s success.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If you select max for timeframe, it goes all the way back to the 80s and shows major events that likely contributed to large swings in value.

Interestingly, the last time stock was around this level, was in 2015 as it rose from Frozen’s success.
Frozen came out in 13

15 was really when all the effects of the housing crash had gone away.

“It’s the economy, stupid!!!”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it's funny for shareholders to sue, like stocks are innately a risky business. If you lose money from your investment, your own money, who is there to blame? lol
…it’s just how the game is played

About two years back…we had armchair Warren buffets on the threads here talking about how $160 was a “huge steal” and going to jump on it…

…I hope they didn’t bet the whole farm on? 🤔

Dranth

I think it's funny for shareholders to sue, like stocks are innately a risky business. If you lose money from your investment, your own money, who is there to blame? lol
I believe the idea is that if they lied, hid or mislead shareholders then how could people make informed decisions about their investment in the company?

In general, about half of all shareholder lawsuits end in a settlement, almost half get dismissed and a very small percentage go to trail and have a verdict read. Who knows in this case but they sure did shove Chapek out the door as fast as possible for at least trying to gloss over costs. Be interesting to see if he tried more and that is why the CFO really went to the board.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Indeed. But, you *can* blame the execs if they did something criminal that causes the stocks to lose value, or if they egregiously made bad business decisions far outside the norm of standard business practices. But in the latter case, good v. bad business decisions are in the eye of the beholder. And if a business risk (like starting up a streaming service) winds up devaluing the stocks, it's not something you can sue over just because it didn't turn out as hoped.

But some stockholders are Karens or Katiebugs who think that the world revolves around them only experiencing good outcomes, and if that doesn't happen, there must be someone to blame or to sue.

Not to mention the last investor suit against Disney was politically motivated (Chapek's free speech brouhaha and being too woke and its consequences were blamed for devaluing the stock) and that got tossed.

CinematicFusion

The Force Awakens came out in 2015. Star Wars I don’t think will ever hit those 2015 heights again.

Tha Realest

Hey @Sirwalterraleigh - are alerts going off on your phone?

1693577726358.png

Tha Realest

Seems like the markets don’t like how Disney’s handling the Charter standoff, and can’t help but think the ACC’s moved to stave off a rights renegotiation aren’t helping either.

Ayla

The whole having a strike and not having any products thing can't be helping.
Not to mention, pulling ALL of their programming off Spectrum/Charter, right at the start of college football season. I hope they are getting hammered with emails and calls from angry customers.

el_super

Not to mention, pulling ALL of their programming off Spectrum/Charter, right at the start of college football season. I hope they are getting hammered with emails and calls from angry customers.

I thought people didn't watch sports any longer? Why wouldn't Charter just walk away and let ESPN die off?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom