News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

CinematicFusion

‘The Spiderwick Chronicles’ Not Going Forward At Disney+ As Part Of Content Cost-Cutting & Strategy Shift; Being Shopped By Paramount TV Studios

Amid a focus on content curation and Disney-owned IP, Disney+ is not proceeding with The Spiderwick Chronicles, its live-action series adaptation of the popular children’s fantasy books, Deadline has learned.

The eight-episode series, from Paramount Television Studios and 20th Television, has been completed. It is currently being shopped by Paramount to other potential buyers.

CinematicFusion

A lot of people want ESPN -- especially college football and basketball fans.

Of course, it's not that they want ESPN specifically, but that they want the ability to watch their teams and a lot of those rights are with ESPN so that's where they have to go. The ACC and SEC Networks are connected to ESPN as well.
Right... but if you get rid of all the people who were forced to bundle ESPN with their cable bill, is there enough people who will want to pay 35.00 a month, 420.00 a year for college football?
Add fubo to watch your baseball/basketball team, amazon, Netflix, Hulu, apple tv, disney + and you start having a pretty solid television bill.

JD80

“ESPN is expensive in the cable realm, and indeed there are other ominous rumblings in the report. Namely that if a significant amount of new content is secured from the NFL, NBA, and MBL, the price of the new ESPN streaming offering could even rise above $35 monthly.

Yikes, in a word. That really would put the gold into the proverbial golden goose. Again, both the pricing and partnership negotiations are still in their relatively early days, but still – this has to be a concern for streaming fans.”

So potentially more then 35.00 if espn carries NFL,NBA,MBL (the sports the majority of people care about and where the money is made)

If I want to watch out of market NFL games (Giants fan living in Maryland) I have to pay YoutubeTV $200-$300 for that access. Depending on the deal you get for the Ticket - that's $50-60 a month.

CinematicFusion

If I want to watch out of market NFL games (Giants fan living in Maryland) I have to pay YoutubeTV $200-$300 for that access. Depending on the deal you get for the Ticket - that's $50-60 a month.
right...and are you going to add ESPN (35.00) to that? So you are at 95.00 a month before you add Netflix, Apple, Hulu, Amazon, Disney.
I use Fubo for my baseball team and then cancel when the season is over, but I can't afford ESPN also.
Everyone will have to make a choice unless you are rolling in money.

We will see what happens.

Will you be adding ESPN to your YoutubeTV deal and pay 95.00 a month for that?

Basil of Baker Street

Right... but if you get rid of all the people who were forced to bundle ESPN with their cable bill, is there enough people who will want to pay 35.00 a month, 420.00 a year for college football?
Add fubo to watch your baseball/basketball team, amazon, Netflix, Hulu, apple tv, disney + and you start having a pretty solid television bill.
Nope. I don't believe so. Also a college football fan will only subscribe for 4 or 5 months. That's the problem.

JD80

right...and are you going to add ESPN (35.00) to that? So you are at 95.00 a month before you add Netflix, Apple, Hulu, Amazon, Disney.
I use Fubo for my baseball team and then cancel when the season is over, but I can't afford ESPN also.
Everyone will have to make a choice unless you are rolling in money.

We will see what happens.

Will you be adding ESPN to your YoutubeTV deal and pay 95.00 a month for that?

No, I primarily only watch the NFL. I also won't pay the Ticket cost and purchase NFL+ for $80 a year and get to watch the games 10 minutes after they are off the air.

Not sure why you're adding in all the other streaming services. Everyone gets to chose, you don't have to get everything like a Cable package. They will live or die based on their content offering.

UNCgolf

Oh yeah -- that's why I think media rights contracts are going to get smaller. There just won't be as much money available for the networks to throw around, unless all the rights go to Amazon and Apple (who do have the money to throw around). But if they're the only two realistic bidders, that could also drive prices down.

I think college football generally draws better TV ratings than anything but the NFL, and there are probably a lot of college football fans who would be willing to pay $35 a month -- but they'd only pay for it the CFB season and then cancel. I don't see that as sustainable for an ESPN streaming service.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The projection of you people. There's lots of people who defend the sequel movies. They just know better than to get involved with the likes of you, knowing you'll never be swayed. And I certainly am not here seeking to convert people, because I know there's no reasoning with you. I'm just leaving a paper trail for the truth, so it isn't lost.
It's been 8 years.. and yet some people like you try to keep clinging to the idea the dislike for the films is some copy-cat non-sense.

Basil of Baker Street

Oh yeah -- that's why I think media rights contracts are going to get smaller. There just won't be as much money available for the networks to throw around, unless all the rights go to Amazon and Apple (who do have the money to throw around). But if they're the only two realistic bidders, that could also drive prices down.

I think college football generally draws better TV ratings than anything but the NFL, and there are probably a lot of college football fans who would be willing to pay $35 a month -- but they'd only pay for it the CFB season and then cancel. I don't see that as sustainable for an ESPN streaming service.
Bingo. That is why linear TV was successful for programs like ESPN who entertain "seasonable" audiences.

CinematicFusion

I agree with you. I do believe Apple, Netflix.Amazon will be the new ABC,CBS,NBC of our kids generation.

With ESPN, I can’t see how they can ever get back that huge cable revenue stream where people who didn’t even watch ESPN were paying for the service.

Time will tell

CinematicFusion

No, I primarily only watch the NFL. I also won't pay the Ticket cost and purchase NFL+ for $80 a year and get to watch the games 10 minutes after they are off the air.

Not sure why you're adding in all the other streaming services. Everyone gets to chose, you don't have to get everything like a Cable package. They will live or die based on their content offering.
I agree with you. I don’t think even the biggest sports fans will subscribe to ESPN for the year, maybe seasonal with the college team they follow.
Will college students be able to afford the extra cost of ESPN?
Time will tell.

JD80

I agree with you. I do believe Apple, Netflix.Amazon will be the new ABC,CBS,NBC of our kids generation.

With ESPN, I can’t see how they can ever get back that huge cable revenue stream where people who didn’t even watch ESPN were paying for the service.

Time will tell

I like this post because it really portrays that we all have different perspectives and that sometimes we assume that everyone is speaking from the same world view. You mention "our kids generation" on a message board where you have everyone from single young people to parents of young children to parents of teenagers to grandparents.

My kids generation 5th grade, 3rd grade and K all watch D+, Netflix and PBS Kids with a smattering of Youtube Kids if we let them. My son also watches a ton of NFL+ too when he can.

They have very little interaction with Apple and Amazon.

Kids in middle school and younger will probably grow up with staples like D+ and Netflix because thats where all the cartoons are for the most part. But mostly they are growing up in the world of Apps. Everything is an App that can easily be installed or deleted on a whim. Even the internet is more Apps than web browsers.

My generation, I'm 42, grew up with one foot in the internet and one foot in the analog world. We learned the internet on web browsers. Kids these days are accessing the internet on Threads, Twitter, Insta, Facebook, Reddit and all the content streamers.

So if you had to make a ABC/CBS/NBC comparison it will be Youtube, Twitch, Tiktok, Netflix, D+, Twitter, Insta and whatever new apps pop up over the next 10 years.

JD80

Back to back posts, but Disney is slowly transitioning from linear/analog content delivery to content ecosystems. Once you control an ecosystem and perfect how to keep people on them and keep them engaged while then selling their data for advertisements you will start making billions if you're successful.

MR.Dis

ESPN is looked at a future cash cow due to Sports Betting. Last year an estimated 7.5 billion dollars was bet on sports in the USA alone, and it is increasing. That is a lot $$ and future looks even brighter. It will not be in the parks, but do not be surprised if in the near future Disney Springs has a Sports Book--as a side the ESPN zone should not have been closed but re purposed to add a Sports Book.

Disstevefan1

Hey look, the stock is back up to 84 - thanks Bob!
1693320801794.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom