News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Robbiem

The ‘best movie’ should be your favourite, not what other people tell you it is.

Getting back to topic how long do people think Bobby has to raise the share price before people start asking questions? Being the chosen one will only give you so long. when it starts to hit people’s pockets, no matter how big they are the mood will change.

I’m not sure if Iger will actually sell anything or if this is just another’I’m really going to retire next time’ ploy to cling on by saying its not the right time to go

Lilofan

The ‘best movie’ should be your favourite, not what other people tell you it is.

Getting back to topic how long do people think Bobby has to raise the share price before people start asking questions? Being the chosen one will only give you so long. when it starts to hit people’s pockets, no matter how big they are the mood will change.

I’m not sure if Iger will actually sell anything or if this is just another’I’m really going to retire next time’ ploy to cling on by saying its not the right time to go
Whatever the case Iger has managed to survive and prosper ( himself ) through it all. It helps his stress levels at age 71 when he works out daily at 430am at his home gym 45 min on his Versa climber with his personal trainer. If you've seen ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro over the years he has aged tremendously.

SamusAranX

According to Kurtz it was.

But to be fair…its also a “technology reset”

The had the budget and tools to make a much sharper looking picture than ANH.

Jedi gets a lot of crap for being a rehash and Ewoks

Rightfully so…
But it still has the best “feel” to stick to your ribs

Nobody ever flipped past it.
And Hamill and McDiarmid were fantastic…frankly
Best battle scenes in Star Wars, with rogue one coming close. Change my mind

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He just wants to be there long enough so the moment Disney shows success, hopefully for him in the next two years he can say "I did it!"
Well he’s also the captain that steamed into the iceberg…at this point

Again…more reports of wretched bookings come in by the day. They’ve broken the rule you can’t break

celluloid

Well he’s also the captain that steamed into the iceberg…at this point

Again…more reports of wretched bookings come in by the day. They’ve broken the rule you can’t break

For sure. Now he is just hoping for some small quick hits so he can hang on long enough to look like a captain that steered its course somewhat right.

He likely won't. Things are far deep and I think this entertainment strike and people's entertainment/vacations expectations changing really sealed that deal for him.

The laurels have all been rested and shoulders stood upon too long.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For sure. Now he is just hoping for some small quick hits so he can hang on long enough to look like a captain that steered its course somewhat right.

He likely won't. Things are far deep and I think this entertainment strike and people's entertainment/vacations expectations changing really sealed that deal for him.

The laurels have all been rested and shoulders stood upon too long.
Since he was lauded well above his actually skill level for 15 years…this all kinda seems zen/natures balance for me…

And why you can’t let these guys hang around for unlimited time for their ego.

Succession plan. Period

Last edited:

celluloid

Since he was lauded well above his actually skill level for 15 years…this all kinda seems zen/natures balance for me…

And why you can’t let these guys hang around with for unlimited time for their ego.

Succession plan. Period

Well you know me. I have not liked him since pretty early on. Perhaps even unfairly so, but I have yet to see it. Not a fan of what he has done with the company.

He left the company for me in a worse place than when he got there.

Eisner had his struggles, but even post Welles as a whole, we had a company that was better than before they got there. We got the Disney Decade out of the deal, which had some luck, but had so much great strategy that there were more gains than losses.

Heck, even owning Star Wars and Lucas trusting that sale could go back and be a kiss blown to Eisner for starting that partnership long ago, in what now seems like a company far far away.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well you know me. I have not liked him since pretty early on. Perhaps even unfairly so, but I have yet to see it. Not a fan of what he has done with the company.

Eisner had his struggles, but even post Welles as a whole, we had a company that was better than before they got there. We got the Disney Decade out of the deal, which had some luck, but had so much great strategy that there were more gains than losses.

Heck, even owning Star Wars and Lucas trusting that sale could go back and be a kiss blown to Eisner for starting that partnership long ago, in what now seems like a company far far away.
Well when you die on this hill…I won’t let you die alone, Galahad 🗡️

WoundedDreamer

Iger is really gambling with his legacy on this one. I'm not at all convinced that he can get the Walt Disney Company fixed in the time allotted. He went out on top. When he stepped down as CEO in 2020, the place was in pretty good shape. While it is true that many of the problems facing Disney today were already present in 2020, from the outside all seemed well. The pandemic wasn't Iger's fault. Disney struggled, yes, but it survived. That was the place to leave his tenure. Disney+ had launched successfully. Marvel was still enjoying the success of Endgame. The Pixar and Disney banners were both enjoying hit after hit.

Now he's decided to accept one of the most challenging turnarounds in recent memory. No pressure.

It doesn't take a genius to see connections between Iger and Eisner right now. Eisner enjoyed a long period of adoration from the business press as he led the The Walt Disney Company for the first decade. Then crisis after crisis eroded confidence in his leadership. By the end, nobody remembered Eisner's successes in the 1980s. No, they were concerned about the broken Pixar relationship and the struggling theme parks. Iger risks repeating the same process.

There are also serious questions about his capacity to navigate the company. Many of the issues Disney are experiencing are the result of his leadership strategy showing its age. What worked in the 2010s might not work in the 2020s.

His first tenure was "the ride of a lifetime." Well, he's on a different ride this time. And this ride might not have such a happy ending...

Vegas Disney Fan

I still think there could be massive benefits from what Igers done, it’s just a matter of using it.

Bringing Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel into the company could pay off for decades, they just need to give us great stories to do it. IF they can create a great Star Wars series they’ll make billions and people will quickly forget (or at least stop talking about) the recent misses, IF they can create another Marvel series on par with Infinity Stones they’ll make billions and people will forget the recent misses… the same goes for Pixar, Disney Animation, etc. Disney has a ton of potential, they just need to capitalize on it.

The same is true of the parks, the acquired properties could be priceless to the company, they just need to properly use them. It
would also help to rollback most of the changes from the last 5 years.

Prior to about 2018 I was a huge Iger fan and loved nearly everything he oversaw, whether it was the movies, the new park additions, or the acquisitions, he could do no wrong, that era has passed though, he’s lost his Midas touch and they need new leadership with a new vision to lead the company out of its current hole.

The good news is I don’t think he’s done anything that can’t be fixed, as the architect of most of it I don’t think his ego will allow him to do it himself though.

StantonZ

The good news is I don’t think he’s done anything that can’t be fixed, as the architect of most of it I don’t think his ego will allow him to do it himself though.
I agree with a lot of what has been said in the last few posts, but I think this (incorrect) assumption is one of the root causes of the current problem.
I'm beginning to think Iger's ego is the problem, and his previous lack of a succession strategy--which he is attempting to rectify with the return of Staggs and Mayer--is dooming the current situation to failure. Not only have these guys lost the momentum (and continuity) of a few years ago, but the damage done by the actual succession strategy (including the timing) have caused irreparable damage in some cases (see: RCID). I'm not saying the company is doomed or things can't be "fixed" (far from it), but I'm no longer convinced Iger is the one to do it...and his legacy will suffer (as did Eisner's) because of it.

Vegas Disney Fan

I agree with a lot of what has been said in the last few posts, but I think this (incorrect) assumption is one of the root causes of the current problem.
I'm beginning to think Iger's ego is the problem, and his previous lack of a succession strategy--which he is attempting to rectify with the return of Staggs and Mayer--is dooming the current situation to failure. Not only have these guys lost the momentum (and continuity) of a few years ago, but the damage done by the actual succession strategy (including the timing) have caused irreparable damage in some cases (see: RCID). I'm not saying the company is doomed or things can't be "fixed" (far from it), but I'm no longer convinced Iger is the one to do it...and his legacy will suffer (as did Eisner's) because of it.
We agree they need new leadership to fix it, I just made a word salad so it wasn’t clear.

Tha Realest

Iger is really gambling with his legacy on this one. I'm not at all convinced that he can get the Walt Disney Company fixed in the time allotted. He went out on top. When he stepped down as CEO in 2020, the place was in pretty good shape. While it is true that many of the problems facing Disney today were already present in 2020, from the outside all seemed well. The pandemic wasn't Iger's fault. Disney struggled, yes, but it survived. That was the place to leave his tenure. Disney+ had launched successfully. Marvel was still enjoying the success of Endgame. The Pixar and Disney banners were both enjoying hit after hit.

Now he's decided to accept one of the most challenging turnarounds in recent memory. No pressure.

It doesn't take a genius to see connections between Iger and Eisner right now. Eisner enjoyed a long period of adoration from the business press as he led the The Walt Disney Company for the first decade. Then crisis after crisis eroded confidence in his leadership. By the end, nobody remembered Eisner's successes in the 1980s. No, they were concerned about the broken Pixar relationship and the struggling theme parks. Iger risks repeating the same process.

There are also serious questions about his capacity to navigate the company. Many of the issues Disney are experiencing are the result of his leadership strategy showing its age. What worked in the 2010s might not work in the 2020s.

His first tenure was "the ride of a lifetime." Well, he's on a different ride this time. And this ride might not have such a happy ending...
He wanted to run for President, but there was no path there.
Wanted to run for Senate, but no path there.
Wanted to be appointed to Senate, but no likelihood there.
Wanted to be appointed to an ambassadorship or cabinet level position, but no appetite there.
Wanted to demonstrate his acumen at Web 3.0 type VC, but jumped on the NFT bandwagon about 12 months too late.
As odd as it sounds, this was like his backup, backup, backup option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom