News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

pdude81

Excuse me, do you guys know if there's any basis for this rumor?

Apple to buy Disney soon?
Here’s everything we know about the Apple-Disney merger - The Economic Times

It was the first time I heard about it.
We hear this a lot. People who want you to read their articles think that Apple should buy Disney. It's not unlike the repeated articles saying the stock market is getting ready to tank.

The article you linked is speculation's second cousin, Dartboard. I wouldn't read too much into it until or unless people start talking about this on the record.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It isn’t just Iger who needs to go, most of the companies management need stripping out

I feel like the majority of the blame should land on the shoulders of the board. It's crazy how little entertainment experience they all have.

UNCgolf

It’s not a crazy idea. Apple has the money.

It feels a little crazy to me, in that I can't think of any reason Apple would want to start operating theme parks, resorts, etc. even just as a corporate overlord -- if anything, it would make more sense if they bought Disney's IP, studios, ESPN, etc. and then try to spin off things like the theme parks that aren't part of their standard business model.

I also think they'd have a hard time getting such a deal through antitrust. Ideally an attempted purchase/merger like that would be dead in the water without any possibility of success, but it would definitely have a chance of getting a green light.

AEfx

It feels a little crazy to me, in that I can't think of any reason Apple would want to start operating theme parks, resorts, etc. even just as a corporate overlord -- if anything, it would make more sense if they bought Disney's IP, studios, ESPN, etc. and then try to spin off things like the theme parks that aren't part of their standard business model.

I also think they'd have a hard time getting such a deal through antitrust. Ideally an attempted purchase/merger like that would be dead in the water without any possibility of success, but it would definitely have a chance of getting a green light.

All good takes.

Aside from their hardware, Apple is in the business of selling virtual things and acquiring things to be sold digitally. They do not want to saddle themselves with the parks/etc. If it was just the film business, perhaps - but then again, several other studios have been up for grabs and they certainly have the cash to buy any of them they want, the rumors always fly, but in the end, they never end up going there.

The topic of "could it all be broken up" is a long, complex one - but I personally don't see that happening for various reasons.

And above all, it's doubtful that various government anti-trusts would allow it - they gave MS/Activision so much grief, that I can only imagine what they would give Apple/Disney. They might get the greenlight in the US, but the EU just would likely be a non-starter.

Lilofan

All good takes.

Aside from their hardware, Apple is in the business of selling virtual things and acquiring things to be sold digitally. They do not want to saddle themselves with the parks/etc. If it was just the film business, perhaps - but then again, several other studios have been up for grabs and they certainly have the cash to buy any of them they want, the rumors always fly, but in the end, they never end up going there.

The topic of "could it all be broken up" is a long, complex one - but I personally don't see that happening for various reasons.

And above all, it's doubtful that various government anti-trusts would allow it - they gave MS/Activision so much grief, that I can only imagine what they would give Apple/Disney. They might get the greenlight in the US, but the EU just would likely be a non-starter.
Comcast / NBC Universal owns Uni parks. With no clue how to run parks and resorts they hired execs to run that part of the company.

AEfx

The parks are a money maker. It would be a financial win for any business to own.
It's also a lot of headaches, and as COVID taught us, much more fragile than we thought. It's just a matter of scale - Apple takes in over a billion dollars a day, and the risk, constant need to keep putting money into physically existing places, etc. just don't make sense for the ROI.

If Apple were into buying physical locations, there are huge swaths of companies they could have consumed by now - but why go to all that bother when you are making 60-70% profit from thin air as their "services" already do? That's also why it doesn't make a ton of sense for them to want Disney content wise - they already make a huge profit on Disney for nothing but processing payments and letting them sell on their servers (the amount they make on the EA Star Wars phone games alone already is massive), so why take on all the debt/responsibility when all they have to do is sit back and earn anyway.

Jrb1979

They could always let another company run the parks. Imagine if SeaWorld took over, their would B&Ms in every park. Just imagine all the exposed steel everywhere. 😉

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Excuse me, do you guys know if there's any basis for this rumor?

Apple to buy Disney soon?
Here’s everything we know about the Apple-Disney merger - The Economic Times

It was the first time I heard about it.
This article is based on another publication's article. So, off to the Hollywood Reporter...

And that article is all supposition with no sources saying it's in consideration. And Iger specifically scoffed at the idea in the latest quarterly call.

Apple buying Disney has been in the Disney fans' wish-fulfillment bucket for decades imagining a return to the golden era of Disney parks. For some reason, they think a company whose products cost a premium and who have schemes to make you to keep upgrading and buying brand new expensive accessories would what... make going the the parks cheaper? LOL.

The recent bout of speculation comes from Iger talking loosely of selling off "non-core" divisions like ABC. That set off a panic. But he was referring to the time when linear TV stations and channels go the way of the Dodo, not to doing away with ABC *content*.

Part of the speculation is coming from Disney's flat stock performance. And if Disney is faltering, then that makes them a prime target of a buy-out right?

Well, yes. Usually to capital raiders who just want to fire mostly everyone and sell off the company into pieces. But they generally don't have the $160B to buy out Disney.

What about other companies that will keep Disney intact? Well, if Disney is faltering, who wants to buy a faltering company? Does Tim Apple think he can squeeze more profit out of the Disney conglomerate more so that Iger and the current board? Apple has the money, but they don't have the will.

I would say the one area that we might see a *partial* merging of Disney with Apple is with regard to Apple+. With nearly limitless money, Apple can buy up all the sports rights and starve ESPN (and other sports channels).

And that is why we hear Iger looking for ESPN "partners" since Apple and Amazon could easily monopolize sports rights with nearly limitless cash.

If there is a buy out, it will be Apple or Amazon buying a significant chunk of ESPN.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s not a crazy idea. Apple has the money.
I don’t think apple wants to run such a large operation

So a buy would involve outsourcing and/or selling pieces
I feel like the majority of the blame should land on the shoulders of the board. It's crazy how little entertainment experience they all have.

Iger was allowed to appoint his whole board since jobs died

They both have To go

MR.Dis

At the current stock price, yes Apple could do it, but why? Most of Disney they would split off and sell. Which of the core businesses would they actually want to keep? The studios--not likely as too hit and miss. Certainly linear TV is not what anyone wants to be in right now. Some of the content for their streaming, yes but how many billions do they pay for this? The parks, lots of headaches but definitely could be enormously successful with some actual good management. One way to stop the speculation is to, you know, actually run the company smartly so the stock price increases to the point it becomes economically untenable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At the current stock price, yes Apple could do it, but why? Most of Disney they would split off and sell. Which of the core businesses would they actually want to keep? The studios--not likely as too hit and miss. Certainly linear TV is not what anyone wants to be in right now. Some of the content for their streaming, yes but how many billions do they pay for this? The parks, lots of headaches but definitely could be enormously successful with some actual good management. One way to stop the speculation is to, you know, actually run the company smartly so the stock price increases to the point it becomes economically untenable.
You mean down 55% in a couple years…well ahead of the rate of fall of the market…is “bad”?

Somebody should suggest they look for new management 👍🏻

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Which of the core businesses would they actually want to keep? The studios--not likely as too hit and miss.
Actually... 🤓

Apple would definitely want the studios.

When Apple+ started, Apple took the stance that they didn't need a big library, but that they can grab subs by putting high-quality series and movies on Apple+.

But... where would they get these high-quality shows? First, they locked down deals with known actors and director to make high-quality content. Then, they went on a buying spree snatching up content from small and indie studios.

And... that didn't work out. At least, not work out that they would be in the running to win "the streaming wars." Any content, high-quality or not, tends to be hit-or-miss. And so, they've had expensive content that didn't move the subscription needle. And big name actors and directors are slow to get their projects made -- if ever.

And so, Apple pivoted to start buying up library (old content) and actual studios so that new content can be pumped out in a timely manner to satisfy customers.

Apple would be happy to own a bunch of studios for their precious Apple+ child.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom