News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Tha Realest

Why? There's plenty of evidence Iger was trying to find a replacement and plan to exit, all the way back when he choose Staggs as his successor. Or the fact that he had to keep announcing his retirement, only to be extended again. I think it's pretty clear that Iger wasn't the major roadblock, if a roadblock at all, to finding a successor.
Oh man. Even Mr Incredible during that second act montage couldn’t pull off the heavy lifting you’re doing here.

Dranth

So then carte Blanche to Iger again?

Got it.

Next week I’ll be starting my own magic beans online store…I’ll make sure everyone here gets a 10% coupon 😎
Maybe, just maybe, you are reading WAY more into Iger + current board is better than Iger + alternative board.

I know you want a fourth option, but it doesn't currently exist. For an Eisner like moment to happen you need someone on the inside with a TON of stock who wants to help the company first, not the stock price. We don't have that anymore, there is no Roy waiting to lead the revolt.

Picking the most appealing of the available choices is not the same of unconditional support.

flynnibus

Premium Member
**This is purely speculation.**

Doesn't it stand to reason that these endorsements at least may be part of a larger influence campaign by the company? Get all these noteworthy people (Lucas, Gad, Abigail Disney, and more to come) to come out in support of Iger, and in exchange, they get a big fat check, or other preferential treatment (a Disney Legends award, perhaps).

Yes, we call that PR. But know what... there is still a huge difference between 'unsolicited' and coerced. Just because they are likely solicited, doesn't discredit the fact they are willing to go on-record with highly public statements backing the existing board. These folks aren't under the board's thumb - they are making statements they believe better the company, or their SIGNIFICANT holdings with the company.

You're talking people that literally own tens, or hundreds of millions of dollars of stock. That's a huge chunk of their wealth on the line. No amount of Iger buttkissing outweighs the significance of their nestegg.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe, just maybe, you are reading WAY more into Iger + current board is better than Iger + alternative board.

I know you want a fourth option, but it doesn't currently exist. For an Eisner like moment to happen you need someone on the inside with a TON of stock who wants to help the company first, not the stock price. We don't have that anymore, there is no Roy waiting to lead the revolt.

Picking the most appealing of the available choices is not the same of unconditional support.

…we shall see what happens next?

Past is always prologue here

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Tha Realest

I hope this astroturf lasts longer than the stuff they put in Mickey’s Toontown!

Last edited:

Indy_UK

You may not know this, but Iger did actually leave.
IMG_1833.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

WoundedDreamer

Disney's communications and shareholder relations teams are going in overdrive. I'm getting the sense that Peltz is unprepared for the full-on assault of Disney PR in the mainstream media. He's not the first though. I could tell DeSantis also got somewhat overwhelmed by the full-court press Disney's communications team conducted. This leaked story about Trian not voting for Iger is a good example. An "anonymous" person "familiar with the matter" leaks Trian didn't vote for Iger. This is the sort of tactics that gets used in political campaigns. Peltz has not been nearly as effective at responding to Disney's assaults.

Does that mean that Peltz is going to lose? Not necessarily. While losses in the mainstream-media space hurt, I don't think they'll end up being decisive. But the more stuff Disney can dredge up, the better for their outcome.

I'm still waiting for how the Murdoch family votes. That's going to be an essential one. My initial inclination was that their blocks of shares would vote for Iger. But...

"Rupert Murdoch is a good friend of mine."
~Nelson Peltz

I've tried to figure out their current ownership. I saw some rumors that the shares were divided amongst the family members. Lachlan, I could see leaning Iger. But if Rupert still has 4%+ of Disney under his control and is friends with Peltz... I mean, that could be significant. That would be quite the betrayal though.

We're going to need to see what happens in the next few days on endorsements. I'm still anticipating an Oprah Winfrey and Steven Spielberg to come out in favor of Iger. They're well-liked people who are friends with Iger. Many more surrogates are in the wings waiting for their reveal!

Brian

Disney's communications and shareholder relations teams are going in overdrive. I'm getting the sense that Peltz is unprepared for the full-on assault of Disney PR in the mainstream media. He's not the first though. I could tell DeSantis also got somewhat overwhelmed by the full-court press Disney's communications team conducted. This leaked story about Trian not voting for Iger is a good example. An "anonymous" person "familiar with the matter" leaks Trian didn't vote for Iger. This is the sort of tactics that gets used in political campaigns. Peltz has not been nearly as effective at responding to Disney's assaults.
They're certainly pulling out all the stops, but wouldn't dare tap their influential allies to put out statements of support. That's taking it a bit too far, don't you think? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom