News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He DOES seem eager to push out Feige. He “questions his record.” You know, the most consistently successful record of any producer in the entire history of the movie industry. He goes on to indicate that he specifically questions Feige’s production of films with diverse casts.

This is the person numerous posters want to give power at Disney - a corporate raider who wants to interfere in the creative process and fire an unprecedented hit maker in large part because he made movies with diverse casts (and because his vindictive partner loathes him). It’s absolute madness.

And yet…that is not marvels current record

Maybe Disney should buy the Wizard of Oz so we can celebrate how big it was in March, 1940?

Surferboy567

I believe that is the general feeling of those hoping Iger wins this fight.
I want Iger to win the fight make no mistake.

I absolutely don’t trust Peltz and feel he has bad intentions for the long term future of the company. What I’m trying to say is that I believe Iger is way better between the two options. I also know Iger comes with his own problems and is far from perfect but if we are talking about the lesser of two evils I feel Peltz is way worse.

WoundedDreamer

We should all reconvene around six months from now….we eveything is calm and we can celebrate iger’s next contract extension 😎
I'm not going to lie. Anyone who looks at VoteDisney's "Expert Analysis" page and doesn't get the impression that Iger is looking to hang around, should have their head examined. Here's the webpage:

Does this look like a group of people who want Bob to retire in two years?

Ayla

I want Iger to win the fight make no mistake.

I absolutely don’t trust Peltz and feel he has bad intentions for the long term future of the company. What I’m trying to say is that I believe Iger is way better between the two options. I also know Iger comes with his own problems and is far from perfect but if we are talking about the lesser of two evils I feel Peltz is way worse.
I 100% agree with you. 👍🏻

WoundedDreamer

The “conspiracy” is not that Disney launched a massive PR campaign. It’s that Disney is bribing or coercing prominent people for support. That silly argument is an attempt to discredit any of the many folks speaking on Disneys behalf.
Disney is almost undoubtedly making campaign promises and providing incentives. The influencer party that Gad alluded to in his post, is one example. Bring everyone in and make them feel like they're special and on the "inside" of Disney's plans. That's a classic political tactic. They get swept off their feet by the charming Iger, who then asks for their public support.

Making promises of future consideration for board seats, green lighting passion projects, etc. are all fair game. Anything that a politician would do, Iger and the Shareholder Relations team are willing to do.

lazyboy97o

Maisel launched Marvel Studios and he is rightfully credited with doing so. He left before Avengers to start the Angry Birds cinematic universe, which certainly supports your depiction of him as a producing genius.
Oh the serendipity of life. Maisel just popped up in a book I started today, Song of Spider-Man. With each turn of the page I am eager to learn how Perlmutter’s creative leadership brought forth what was undoubtedly the hit of Broadway.

lazyboy97o

Who claimed that Perlmutter is a "creative?" Not me. He's a businessman who happened to hire an excellent creative named David Maisel. And then Maisel revolutionized the entire genre.
Either you’re too busy trying to be a contrarian or you’re deliberately ignoring what is inconvenient. Peltz is the one who considers Perlmutter creative and is repeating his grievances.

WoundedDreamer

Either you’re too busy trying to be a contrarian or you’re deliberately ignoring what is inconvenient. Peltz is the one who considers Perlmutter creative and is repeating his grievances.
Hmm, if Peltz believes that he's mistaken. Perlmutter himself does not think of himself as a creative.

“I learned one thing about creative people my whole life: You cannot give them an open credit card.…They’re doing this for 30 years, why would they change?”

He clearly does not consider himself a creative.

lazyboy97o

Hmm, if Peltz believes that he's mistaken. Perlmutter himself does not think of himself as a creative.

“I learned one thing about creative people my whole life: You cannot give them an open credit card.…They’re doing this for 30 years, why would they change?”

He clearly does not consider himself a creative.
Somebody who insists on micromanaging creative decisions sees themselves as a creative, otherwise they wouldn’t be doing so. You don’t complain about things like the looks of the cast if you’re just concerned about expenses.

Maybe you can be the first to explain to us how having the board involved in movie production will allow for more creativity.

Casper Gutman

Perlmutter is so creatively "hands off" that he killed the Fantastic Four comic - the emotional and historical lynchpin of Marvel Comics, their "Snow White" - because he was enraged that Fox was adhering to their contractual rights. For the same reason he tried to push The Inhumans, a perpetually marginal property that almost never supported its own ongoing, as a replacement for The X-Men, one of the great artistic and financial juggernauts in comic history..

No creative input at all.

WoundedDreamer

Yes it has. Theres no need for board level review if they don’t plan to do anything. He just reiterated the need for the board to be more involved in the past few days.
Greater board involvement rarely means going down to the writer's room and making changes. If Peltz was looking to pretend to be a movie director, I wouldn't be in favor of him. Board involvement means asking the CEO and senior executives tough questions about budgets, ROI, strategy, and spending. The CEO is forced to express his longterm strategy and then revise it where the board finds issues. Peltz is busy managing a multi-billion dollar enterprise. He sits on multiple boards. He sits on the board of Unilever. I can guarantee that Peltz isn't down at Dove's HQ personally testing each new scent of shampoo. He's a big picture guy. The same will be true of Disney.

I'm open to being wrong on this, but I really doubt it. Peltz knows where his strengths are. They're not screenplays.

peter11435

Greater board involvement rarely means going down to the writer's room and making changes. If Peltz was looking to pretend to be a movie director, I wouldn't be in favor of him. Board involvement means asking the CEO and senior executives tough questions about budgets, ROI, strategy, and spending. The CEO is forced to express his longterm strategy and then revise it where the board finds issues. Peltz is busy managing a multi-billion dollar enterprise. He sits on multiple boards. He sits on the board of Unilever. I can guarantee that Peltz isn't down at Dove's HQ personally testing each new scent of shampoo. He's a big picture guy. The same will be true of Disney.

I'm open to being wrong on this, but I really doubt it. Peltz knows where his strengths are. They're not screenplays.
Good thing he knows what his strengths are… he’s managed to keep it a secret from the rest of us all these years.

He definitely doesn’t have time to test shampoos when he’s too busy pushing them to sell off ben and Jerry’s.

MerlinTheGoat

Peltz's "strengths" are lying to the gullible and tricking them into giving him power, and then stripping a company to the bone to enrich himself and leaving a smoking crater behind.

Sad thing is that I don't even think some of the people voting for him are even gullible or "foolish" in the traditional sense. I think they have a chip on their shoulder and just want to watch the company burn out of some twisted retribution and because it's entertaining to them.

WoundedDreamer

Good thing he knows what his strengths are… he’s managed to keep it a secret from the rest of us all these years.

He definitely doesn’t have time to test shampoos when he’s too busy pushing them to sell off ben and Jerry’s.
To be fair... What are the synergies between Ben and Jerry's and Dove Shampoo? It could easily be argued that ice cream and shampoo aren't complimentary businesses. Why not create a Unilever that is more focused on what it does best, and a Ben and Jerry's that continues to do what it does best? Bigger company size tends to result in less focus and discipline.

There's an argument to be made that the Fox purchase caused Disney to lose focus. Having so many films, tv shows, and games under one umbrella made it difficult to properly ensure quality. Disney reducing its output to fewer and stronger brands could prove beneficial. That's obviously up to each person to decide, but the timing does fit.

lazyboy97o

Peltz was complaining about casting decisions just a few days ago. He straight up said the type of process and workflow he wants to review.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom