'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

wilkeliza

Depends on what your usual mileage is. If you go big mileage normally then this wouldnt phase you. If you dont, then it falls into one of the big "dont do's" the week before an event. Cramming in last minute training sessions doesnt really help and potentially wears you out more. Id give yourself 2 full days of rest depending on your current mileage. Go do 2-3 miles on Thursday morning. Then be done.

I ran this morning and will tomorrow. Then swimming Friday (doesnt count) and non Saturday until the event. 2 days of rest for the legs.

I've been doing rather low training. Nothing over 6 miles yet. So it would probably be a bad idea to try and get 8 in today?

If so I'll do 3-4 today and 2-3 tomorrow then take friday off.

I don't know if this counts but I've been doing some "quick" runs at work where I do a mile around EPCOT in 12 minutes just to make sure I can still do it. I do between 2 and 4 of those 5 days a week the past 3 weeks. I have been counting it as some sort of training since some is better than none.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I've been doing rather low training. Nothing over 6 miles yet. So it would probably be a bad idea to try and get 8 in today?

If so I'll do 3-4 today and 2-3 tomorrow then take friday off.

I don't know if this counts but I've been doing some "quick" runs at work where I do a mile around EPCOT in 12 minutes just to make sure I can still do it. I do between 2 and 4 of those 5 days a week the past 3 weeks. I have been counting it as some sort of training since some is better than none.
IMHO, yes, bad idea to do 8 miles today. Your peek should have been a week or 2 weeks ago (arguably). It all depends on how experienced you are. Im not tapering and this run falls on a fall back week for a bigger event next month, however, if you are tapering for this, dont do 8 miles today which is 2 more miles then your farthest 3 days before the event. From what you have described on your mileage, you will most likely be sore on Saturday morning and setting yourself up to be fatigued in the 5-10 mile range.

Your goal is to finish, but your first responsibility is to put yourself in the best position to do so. Train properly in the weeks leading up and then rest so you are fresh. The hay is in the barn. You cant do anything today or tomorrow to improve your Saturday except rest.

fmingo36

Thanks guys. I have to keep reminding myself that even on my worst run I was at an 18 minute mile so I should be okay.

Now onto an opinion from you guys who have done this more. Is it okay for me to run Friday morning since the race is so late Saturday night? I want to do 2 or 3 miles to just make sure my body is still focused.

I'd suggest that you save you legs for the race.
Your body will be plenty focused Saturday night. You'll be amazed at how far your adrenaline will take you.

If you listen to Jeff Galloway or any of the speakers at the Expo they all will stress don't start doing things that you normally wouldn't do. Don't start trying new gels/foods/protein drinks. Don't buy new sneakers at the expo to wear at the race, etc. Do what your body knows.

Just remember you've been training for this; that was the hard part. The race is the reward and the fun part so just enjoy it and don't worry about those sweepers.

joel_maxwell

I'd suggest that you save you legs for the race.
Your body will be plenty focused Saturday night. You'll be amazed at how far your adrenaline will take you.

If you listen to Jeff Galloway or any of the speakers at the Expo they all will stress don't start doing things that you normally wouldn't do. Don't start trying new gels/foods/protein drinks. Don't buy new sneakers at the expo to wear at the race, etc. Do what your body knows.

Just remember you've been training for this; that was the hard part. The race is the reward and the fun part so just enjoy it and don't worry about those sweepers.
Bingo.

Yep. Guilty of that only once.

and yes. All those runs in the summer heat. Reward = Finishers medal.

wilkeliza

Thanks guys.

I don't plan on buying anything new or trying anything different. I'm going to have a meal mid day Saturday that will be big enough to give me energy for the full day (about 8 hours prior to race time) and then just drink water all day. The only thing extra I'm going to do is some extra stretching just to make sure that I can do what I need to with out hurting myself.

I'm also stick with my run-walk so that I know I can keep up with a good pace and not tire out to fast.

Thanks for being supportive guys. The other runners in my life have told me I've set myself up for failure and that's why I'm so worried but you guys are so supportive.

fmingo36

Thanks guys.

I don't plan on buying anything new or trying anything different. I'm going to have a meal mid day Saturday that will be big enough to give me energy for the full day (about 8 hours prior to race time) and then just drink water all day. The only thing extra I'm going to do is some extra stretching just to make sure that I can do what I need to with out hurting myself.

I'm also stick with my run-walk so that I know I can keep up with a good pace and not tire out to fast.

Thanks for being supportive guys. The other runners in my life have told me I've set myself up for failure and that's why I'm so worried but you guys are so supportive.

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!
Listen to the voice in your head that says "I'm going to cross that finish line even if I'm the last one to cross it!" Keep saying it. Make it your motto for the race.

joel_maxwell

Thanks guys.

Sounds like they dont need to be in your life anymore. At least they wouldnt be in mine. Just my rearview mirror.

Just remember... taser gun. 220 volts! RUN! You got this.

Are you coming to the MnG?

wilkeliza

Sounds like they dont need to be in your life anymore. At least they wouldnt be in mine. Just my rearview mirror.

Just remember... taser gun. 220 volts! RUN! You got this.

Are you coming to the MnG?

I'm going to try and come for the MnG. I'll just have to remember to park a little early so I can get a bus over early enough.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks guys.

Then they have no business being in your life. Taking from my good buddy Joel, my rearview over the years has taught me to listen to no one but myself, cut out the people that bring you down, even if that makes you "unpopular." I 've always followed the beat of a f----d up drum, and I have no regrets.
Run how you have trained. You can't change things now. Make sure you are rested, and kill it on race day. This will be a good lesson for the future: train properly and in a timely manner. And most importantly: this is Disney...HAVE FUN WITH IT!!

MKCP 1985

When I ran my first half marathon (13.1 miles), the farthest I had ever run up to that point was 8 miles. When I ran my first marathon (26.2 miles), the farthest I had ever run up to that point was 18 miles.

Your Disney running forums friends are correct. Relax, tell yourself you WILL finish the race, never give up and collect your medal! :D

joel_maxwell

When I ran my first half marathon (13.1 miles), the farthest I had ever run up to that point was 8 miles. When I ran my first marathon (26.2 miles), the farthest I had ever run up to that point was 18 miles.

Your Disney running forums friends are correct. Relax, tell yourself you WILL finish the race, never give up and collect your medal! :D
If you dont trust me, trust Doug. He is a veteran. He isnt the fastest, nor runs the farthest, but he an @JillC LI are the King and Queen of experience. They have been doing this a long time.

wilkeliza

Thanks guys you are the best.

I went with the advice and am taking today off. I'll do a very short run tomorrow that I know won't tire me out then I'll enjoy Friday and Saturday morning and just be ready to do my absolute best on Saturday night.

MKCP 1985

Joel is too kind - I am not the king of anything but can serve as an example to prove that really anyone who really wants to do these races and is willing to commit to a training regimen can surprise themselves and finish the race.

A true story to illustrate this point: In 2010, I was running the full marathon at my usual slow pace and somewhere around the halfway point overtook an older gentleman in a light jacket that proclaimed he had run and finished marathons in all 50 states! Now, I was not fast and this guy was slower than I was, but he was a veteran of over 50 marathon finishes and I have no doubt he finished that race, too.

Most of us will agree the first time you finish a long race it is an emotional experience. All the nagging doubts melt away into tears at the finish line and are gone forever. After that moment you will know the rest of your life not only that you can do this, but that you HAVE done this. :)

Texas84

SIAP, any other special events going on for the party? DJs, bands, etc? Or is it a big surprise? The possible Tower special sounds :eek::D

Kristia

Thanks guys.

In 2011, I finished the Disney Marathon after only having completed 15 miles in training after coming off a knee injury. Adrenaline really works wonders at these races. I felt pretty good until about mile 20 and those last 3 miles were killer but I did it! It may have taken me 6:45 minutes but I did it! I had some doubters in my life, but that made me even more determined to prove them wrong. You will do great! And yes it is totally normal to be nervous before a race especially one like this. Once you start running, the nerves will disappear and you will have a blast!

Kristia

I know some of you have already left for Disney or are leaving soon, so good luck this weekend! I wish I could be there! It sounds like you are all going to have an awesome time. I am jealous. :D

dreamfinder

Good luck to all the runners. Hopefully the party won't be too crowded. I have seen elsewhere that people who aren't runners, don't know any runners, and aren't there for the ToT event were buying tickets for the Villains Bash, with the hopes of getting a low crowd DHS, and the opportunity to perhaps M&G some villains. Hopefully not too many people do that and its nice and empty.....

joel_maxwell

Joel is too kind - I am not the king of anything but can serve as an example to prove that really anyone who really wants to do these races and is willing to commit to a training regimen can surprise themselves and finish the race.

A true story to illustrate this point: In 2010, I was running the full marathon at my usual slow pace and somewhere around the halfway point overtook an older gentleman in a light jacket that proclaimed he had run and finished marathons in all 50 states! Now, I was not fast and this guy was slower than I was, but he was a veteran of over 50 marathon finishes and I have no doubt he finished that race, too.

Most of us will agree the first time you finish a long race it is an emotional experience. All the nagging doubts melt away into tears at the finish line and are gone forever. After that moment you will know the rest of your life not only that you can do this, but that you HAVE done this. :)
Im just being honest and serious. You have been doing this for awhile and have completed many events. That brings more experience to the table regardless of speed.

Most of the time, my emotion hits me about an hour after a monumental event or accomplishment. It is never at the finish line. It is when I sit there, most likely with a beer in hand and reflect on my accomplishment. Then, it is time to focus on the next.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom