The top 10 fails of WDW

Silver Figment

10. Doug: Live!... A rip off of the Nickelodeon/Disney series, Doug. You should face the facts, Doug belonged to Nickelodeon, not Disney. A tacky job in production, only lasted from 1999 to 2001 at Hollywood Studios.

doug.jpg

Actually, at the time of the show Doug was owned by Disney, Nick didn't wan't to keep the television series going and so Disney gained rights. I agree with a lot of the things on that list, i wouldn't have put Maelstrom on the list though. At least Norway has a ride which is more than i can say for most of the countries. And yes, Imagination is an unfortunate pavilion right now. :( I've got to stick by it because of Figment, but it would be nice if that whole pavilion could get refurbished and redone. Keeping figment of course, and maybe bringing back Dreamfinder. Not sure how likely that is but we can hope can't we. :rolleyes:

Edeyore

Here's my list:

1. Disney Resort Rates - They've gotten out of control. Even the moderates are getting too pricey for what they offer.

This to me is also the biggest. I was able to take my family to WDW in 1992 & 1998, both times staying at the Polynesian. (Definitely my favorite vacations ever.) I recently looked to book a similar vacation for the coming year. The price was over $7,000.00. I guess I will just keep wishing on a star.

Phonedave

Here's my list:

10. DVC - Could be so much better than it is. Lower the dues and give me housekeeping, and we'll talk.

1. Disney Resort Rates - They've gotten out of control. Even the moderates are getting too pricey for what they offer.

I find that sort of ironic.

-dave

MKCP 1985

Ironic? How about a thread on Disney Fail started by a standard bearer for Wonders of Life, the biggest fail in Epcot history? :ROFLOL:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Cause once the evil corporation entice you in with DVC they have bought your holiday soul for a life time, regardless of future price increases or declining service levels at their house of pain.

Phonedave

Why? I think both are overly expensive. What's ironic about that?:confused:

Despite your assertation that dues are too high, they are what they are. DVC makes no money off of dues, they are a 100% pass through based on the cost of running the particular resort. They are what they are - every dollar paid in dues goes toward operation and maintanence of the resort. That's not a DVC thing, that's a Florida timeshare law.

So, what I find ironic is that in the first post you complain about the limited DVC housekeeping. However that limit on housekeeping is keeping the annual dues down. They may not be a to a level that you like, but they are actual costs and are lower because of the reduced housekeeping levels.

Then in the last post you state the resort prices are too high.

So you want more services, but yet you want the pass through costs for those services to go down.

That is what is ironic.

-dave

captainkidd

Despite your assertation that dues are too high, they are what they are. DVC makes no money off of dues, they are a 100% pass through based on the cost of running the particular resort. They are what they are - every dollar paid in dues goes toward operation and maintanence of the resort. That's not a DVC thing, that's a Florida timeshare law.

So, what I find ironic is that in the first post you complain about the limited DVC housekeeping. However that limit on housekeeping is keeping the annual dues down. They may not be a to a level that you like, but they are actual costs and are lower because of the reduced housekeeping levels.

Then in the last post you state the resort prices are too high.

So you want more services, but yet you want the pass through costs for those services to go down.

That is what is ironic.

-dave

If dues were only paid for upkeep on the resort (nonsense), then why do people with more points pay higher dues? If every member had 500 points, do you really think all that money from dues would go to the resort?

If you think DVC makes no money off of dues, you've been eating too much of the free ice cream they give out during the open house.

I don't think DVC is a total fail. Far, FAR from it. There are many things I like about it. But, there are many things I dislike as well. No point in getting into a DVC discussion. We've been down that road and back many times before. For some it's great. For some, not so much.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If dues were only paid for upkeep on the resort (nonsense), then why do people with more points pay higher dues? If every member had 500 points, do you really think all that money from dues would go to the resort?

If you think DVC makes no money off of dues, you've been eating too much of the free ice cream they give out during the open house.

I don't think DVC is a total fail. Far, FAR from it. There are many things I like about it. But, there are many things I dislike as well. No point in getting into a DVC discussion. We've been down that road and back many times before. For some it's great. For some, not so much.

You are very wrong. It is illegal for Disney to be making money off the dues. Dave is right, the fees go directly to the cost of running the resort. The reason people with more points pay more for dues is simpler. It costs X to run resort, X is then divided by total number of points at the resort Y, the resulting total Z is the amount per point that members pay. Quite simple.

Phonedave

Because they own a larger share of the resort. If there are a total of 1,000 points at a resort and I own 250 and you own 750 then you pay more. If they need a new roof that costs a total of $10,000 then you pay $7,500 and I pay $2,500

I really hate to break it to you, but this is not a Disney selling point. This is a Florida time share law. Dues are allowed to cover operating costs - period. They are independently audited and have to file the results with the State. This is not a "They told me so I believe it" type of issue. It is factual information about the resort. As an owner I get an itemized breadown of the operating costs each year (as required by law). We can argue that maybe we should not be spending the dues money on certain things, but there is no profit made from dues.

I agree with you there, but please understand the issue about the dues is not my opinon or a sales pitch. If you are an owner you get the reports each year. Just like owning stock in a company, you get the annual report, the same goes for DVC.

As I said, you can disagree with what they spend money on, but they do not MAKE money on dues.

That is what I found ironic about your post. You said the dues are too high, but you wanted more housekeeping. More housekeeping equates to even higher dues.

-dave

captainkidd

That is what I found ironic about your post. You said the dues are too high, but you wanted more housekeeping. More housekeeping equates to even higher dues.

-dave

OK - I can admit to being wrong. You sound like you know more about this subject than I do. I've just always assumed DVC resorts were kept up with the same money as other resorts.

Why does more housekeeping have to equal higher dues though? Obviously, yes, they have to pay for that service, but why can't it be part of the cost of DVC? It's certainly not as if DVC is inexpensive, and that's the reason there is no housekeeping.

captainkidd

These "complaint" threads are starting to get old.

Then don't read them.:shrug:
That's the nature of message boards. Always going to be topics that get beaten to death or that people are sick of hearing about. Ever read the "DIS"? Talk about repeat threads.:hammer:

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with the whole "Don't read them" thing but they are just popping up way too often lately. That is my point.

captainkidd

I agree with the whole "Don't read them" thing but they are just popping up way too often lately. That is my point.

I think people (myself included) just get bored sometimes and like to talk about something. But I've said and done the same thing - Another part of message boards I suppose.

PurpleRose

I agree with a few that is on your list. Especially Narnia. That's not even the most recent movie anymore. I thought Prince Caspian was fine to help promote the movies but then they came out with another one yet Prince Caspian was still there. Why?

Phonedave

OK - I can admit to being wrong. You sound like you know more about this subject than I do. I've just always assumed DVC resorts were kept up with the same money as other resorts.

Why does more housekeeping have to equal higher dues though? Obviously, yes, they have to pay for that service, but why can't it be part of the cost of DVC? It's certainly not as if DVC is inexpensive, and that's the reason there is no housekeeping.

When you buy into DVC, that payment covers the cost of building the resort, the cost of running the DVC program (such as the sales agents, the kiosks, and the vans) and a (I am sure nice) chunk of profit for Disney.

Your dues then cover ALL of the costs that are associated with running and maintaining that resort. Landscaping, pest control, front desk services, painting, new roofs, housekeeping, etc. All of that gets added up, and spread over the number of points that are out there. If you want daily housekeeping as a "Standard" item then it is going to cost more for housekeeping, and it will be reflected in the dues. Here is an easy example. You know how they have games at the pool where they give away prizes? Those prizes are itemized in the annual statement. It is something like a $5,000 a year budget for them if I recall. It amounts to pennies for me, but I am still charged for it. If they started giving away a free car to guests, that budget would be a lot more, and my dues would go up accordingly.

Think of it as buying a new condo. When you buy the condo you are paying the builder, you are also covering the cost of the realator, advertising, etc.
That is equivalent to the buy-in cost at DVC

Then you have monthly maintence at a condo. The condo board does not make money off of those payments. They use them for snow removal, upkeep, grounds keeping, security, etc. If you go to the condo board and convince them that they should plant the public areas with massive flower beds, your monthly maintainance is going to go up accordingly. That is the same as with your DVC dues.

DVC is actualy an entirely seperate company than the resorts. In cases where we are co-loacted in a resort and share services, such as Wilderness Lodge there is a cross billing. They keep trackf for example of hom many guests are checked into "normal" rooms and how many are in DVC rooms. The DVC then sends a payment to WDW Resorts for the portion of Front Desk Services that we used. Same goes for landscaping, pools, etc. In cases like SSR it is a bit easier because everything there is a DVC cost.

-dave

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Ironic? How about a thread on Disney Fail started by a standard bearer for Wonders of Life, the biggest fail in Epcot history? :ROFLOL:

The only reason I love Wonders of Life is for Cranium Command and 30% Body Wars.. I do think the rest wasn't very good for what it could've offered... WoL should have had Kitchen Kabaret or Food Rocks, not The Land.

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom