The Test Track Spot

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Okay, bear with me--this is an obscure and esoteric question. Log on to Google Earth or any other satellite mapping tool of your choice. Take a look at the area between the main Test Track building and the Mexico show building. (Google Maps link here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...314,-81.546949&spn=0.001338,0.002411&t=h&z=19)

There is a big, black circle in the pavement there. It's not just painted--it's a different paving material. It's backstage where no Guests can see it--the Test Track cars are angled away from it at that point in the ride. It serves no apparent function as far as I can see. I've walked across it hundreds of time and have yet to determine a logical reason for its existence. I know, it's a very strange thing to spend time wondering about, but what else do I have to do on my way to work when the coffee hasn't quite kicked in?

So, why is it there? It must serve/have served some purpose at some point. I've never seen any counterpart to it backstage anywhere. Is it sink-hole related? Is it an old helipad? Is it related to First Aid in Odyssey? Did it serve a purpose when World of Motion was around?

C&D

Unless it is just a delineator (in the parking area). The rectangular building is the maintenance shed for the Test Track cars, etc. It does appear that the cars, parked outside the shed, are honoring the circle's boarders (but this is more observation, than a reason).

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Just guessing here but was there something there before such as grass, a planter ,etc?
If you look at the angle (circular) of the parking spaces around it, especially to south side, it obviously begs that something of that nature was there. I would imagine that the shaded area is a no parking though.... dont want to back into anyone.

sockmonkeygirl

2 words: spider solitaire. because you definately have too much time on your hands!

ok, i'll take a stab at this anyway. several possible reasons
1) aesthetics, because it looks pretty, or eccentric
2) the darker color was on sale
3) just to make you wonder
i'm betting on the third because i hear mickey is a huge practical joker.

sockmonkeygirl

im starting to think of a lot of sinister causes for that circle. it may be a big bullseye. and someone may stand on the building next to it, for, whatever bad thing..waterballoons, something. i'm not sure. it may be a spontaneous dance circle. i'm not sure if we will ever know. :confused:

BrerPete

Since its a dead end, it could possibly been the way cars turned around after going in that way to get back out. Like on a culd de sac.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can not believe I did not think of it before. I bet this is what is under that little pad.

15515254_5f2b21d623.jpg

Chevross

It may not be possible, but I'm guessing a shadow?

I don't work at Disney so I do not have access to that area, some I'm just taking a wild guess in the dark here.

totben

before they allowed parking back there it was a turn around area for busses, epcot cast members get from costuming to other locations in the park via the east or west bus (west goes around world showcase al the way to the seas from costuming and back and east goes to universe of energy and back (stopping at wonders and mission space) it used to stop at test track and the cast cafeteria. and that was the turn around. a while back it was deemed that haveing a bus run to that location was pointless (they are about 200 yards away from each other) so they stopped using that bus stop.

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Just guessing here but was there something there before such as grass, a planter ,etc?
Oooh, hadn't thought about that possiblity.

Since its a dead end, it could possibly been the way cars turned around after going in that way to get back out. Like on a culd de sac.
There's a turnaround just a bit further to the southwest, between Odyssey and Mexico.

I can not believe I did not think of it before. I bet this is what is under that little pad.

15515254_5f2b21d623.jpg
YES!!!!! THAT'S IT! :D :sohappy:

Whatever it is/was, it was there in 95.
Spot.jpg
Hmmm, so it wasn't related to the Test Track construction, then.

It may not be possible, but I'm guessing a shadow?

I don't work at Disney so I do not have access to that area, some I'm just taking a wild guess in the dark here.
No, it's definitely not a shadow. As I said in the above post, I've walked across the area many, many times, and it's a different paving material than the surrounding lot.

Captain Hank

Original Poster
before they allowed parking back there it was a turn around area for busses, epcot cast members get from costuming to other locations in the park via the east or west bus (west goes around world showcase al the way to the seas from costuming and back and east goes to universe of energy and back (stopping at wonders and mission space) it used to stop at test track and the cast cafeteria. and that was the turn around. a while back it was deemed that haveing a bus run to that location was pointless (they are about 200 yards away from each other) so they stopped using that bus stop.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom