The Talk, News, Rumors, About Phase 3

Progress.City

I agree that it's too far off to count on anything and the plans would definitely change. I never count on a phase 2 let alone a phase 3. The rumor was that there was a phase 3 already budgeted so if that is the case there should at least be some high level plans of what would make up phase 3. I would think it has to be more than just hopes or intentions to budget for it.
My concern is that management and the bean counters at any moment could say "you know, we overreact... The current investment is more than enough for the time being..."

This is assuming that Phase 3 is simply what they have planned with only a preliminary budget approved. If the budget for Phase 3 has actually been allocated and programmed, that could be different. But, even so, who's to say that upper management can't deprogrammed it and pull the funds for reprogramming elsewhere?

Progress.City

Avatar Land is opening next year. 2011-2017. That took 6 years. Fantasyland Expansion took 2009-2013. 4 years. And DCA's Makeover and Expansion took 2007-2012. 5 years. DHS's Expansion should probably take 5 years. Why? Because of the proof I provided above. Even Shanghai Disneyland didn't take more than 5 years to complete. They'll get things done reasonably.
So, according to your timetable, they still have many years before they might announce anything.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But it's a studio, which fits the theme of a studios theme park. LucasFilm is also a studio and can be a larger section of the park that includes Star Wars Land and Indiana Jones.

Marvel is also a studio and would be perfect for Phase 3, but we won't go there...

But the intention seems to be to move away from the studio theme. Either way, grouping attractions be the studio that made them is rather arbitrary and un-creative.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My concern is that management and the bean counters at any moment could say "you know, we overreact... The current investment is more than enough for the time being..."

This is assuming that Phase 3 is simply what they have planned with only a preliminary budget approved. If the budget for Phase 3 has actually been allocated and programmed, that could be different. But, even so, who's to say that upper management can't deprogrammed it and pull the funds for reprogramming elsewhere?
Budgets always get cut and whole projects can get canceled, but a project is much more likely to get canceled if the budget hasn't been approved yet. It was rumored that the budget for phase 3 was actually approved. Now if the first 2 phases run over budget (likely based on recent history) or there is a significant downturn in tourism or WDW attendance they could easily pull the plug on phase 3 or significantly cut it back.

Goofyernmost

Budgets always get cut and whole projects can get canceled, but a project is much more likely to get canceled if the budget hasn't been approved yet. It was rumored that the budget for phase 3 was actually approved. Now if the first 2 phases run over budget (likely based on recent history) or there is a significant downturn in tourism or WDW attendance they could easily pull the plug on phase 3 or significantly cut it back.
True, and I hope it continues, but, if for some reason the economy tanks, you can kiss Phase 3 goodbye for an extended period of time. And that would only be logical to do. Considering the options available on the political scene, there is a very good chance of that happening.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True, and I hope it continues, but, if for some reason the economy tanks, you can kiss Phase 3 goodbye for an extended period of time. And that would only be logical to do. Considering the options available on the political scene, there is a very good chance of that happening.
I don't want to break any rules by getting into politics here, but there are some far more concerning global macro economic trends that could impact WDW a lot more than who the next US president is. Things like international terrorism and economic problems in South America and Europe. I suppose though that if the U.S. Dollar strengthened further due to newly initiated foreign trade policy it could have a big impact on WDW attendance being that a lot of foreign visitors take advantage of the favorable exchange rate currently.

Goofyernmost

I don't want to break any rules by getting into politics here, but there are some far more concerning global macro economic trends that could impact WDW a lot more than who the next US president is. Things like international terrorism and economic problems in South America and Europe. I suppose though that if the U.S. Dollar strengthened further due to newly initiated foreign trade policy it could have a big impact on WDW attendance being that a lot of foreign visitors take advantage of the favorable exchange rate currently.
I'm not going to get into it either, but, those all could be one and the same or very closely linked to each other. But, enough said!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's also a path leading back behind Slinky Dog Dash. Is the bit of Star Wars Land on the TSL art the back corner? If so, that path is leading to phase 3.
image.jpeg

Interesting theory. I think it could work. So if the rocks in the top left corner are Star Wars Land are you saying that you think the path between those rocks and the blue Alien flat ride building is leading to phase 3? If we assume that the building in the bottom left corner is the TSMM show building and the rocks of Star Wars Land are on what was Streets of America would there be enough space for both Star Wars and a phase 3? Maybe if phase 3 is where Catastrophe Canyon was and SW Land starts just past the TSMM building and covers the former Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, Streets of America and LMA space. Is that enough space for SW? That would leave the far left corner of this image for a potential phase 3. Box behind TSMM is Toy Story Land. Box down and to the right is Star Wars Land. That leaves the far left bottom corner for phase 3. Someone better with dimensions can probably say if those 2 boxes are big enough for the areas of the 2 announced lands.

image.jpeg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
View attachment 143024
Interesting theory. I think it could work. So if the rocks in the top left corner are Star Wars Land are you saying that you think the path between those rocks and the blue Alien flat ride building is leading to phase 3? If we assume that the building in the bottom left corner is the TSMM show building and the rocks of Star Wars Land are on what was Streets of America would there be enough space for both Star Wars and a phase 3? Maybe if phase 3 is where Catastrophe Canyon was and SW Land starts just past the TSMM building and covers the former Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, Streets of America and LMA space. Is that enough space for SW? That would leave the far left corner of this image for a potential phase 3. Box behind TSMM is Toy Story Land. Box down and to the right is Star Wars Land. That leaves the far left bottom corner for phase 3. Someone better with dimensions can probably say if those 2 boxes are big enough for the areas of the 2 announced lands.

View attachment 143027

I think we can be pretty sure that at least some of the corner will not be part or SWL or TSL. We have seen evidence that the building marked in red isn't being removed anytime soon. I have also seen no evidence in the water management permits that the canal to the right of that building is being removed. Also note that the area in blue has been marked as an expansion pad since the park was first built. It's a little tricky to use since there is a canal going through it but they could work that into a land. If the Studio Drive entrance goes away completely after TSL and SWL are done, then that opens up things even more down there.

Capture.JPG

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think we can be pretty sure that at least some of the corner will not be part or SWL or TSL. We have seen evidence that the building marked in red isn't being removed anytime soon. I have also seen no evidence in the water management permits that the canal to the right of that building is being removed. Also note that the area in blue has been marked as an expansion pad since the park was first built. It's a little tricky to use since there is a canal going through it but they could work that into a land. If the Studio Drive entrance goes away completely after TSL and SWL are done, then that opens up things even more down there.

View attachment 143033
Interesting. They could probably at least fit a show building down in that corner if nothing else. Maybe a phase 3 area could fit down there. Not enough room for Carsland (sorry Pam) but they could fit a decent sized ride and maybe a shop/restaurant or 2.

Pam Hates Penguins

Original Poster
Interesting. They could probably at least fit a show building down in that corner if nothing else. Maybe a phase 3 area could fit down there. Not enough room for Carsland (sorry Pam) but they could fit a decent sized ride and maybe a shop/restaurant or 2.

Nah man. It's fine. Cars Land or no Cars Land, the expansion is going to be amazing.

Pam Hates Penguins

Original Poster

View attachment 143033

I was just wondering about the building in red if it would be demolished for the slinky coaster. Thanks.

rioriz

View attachment 143033

I would bear to make an educated guess that the expansion pad you have marked will more than likely be used form phase 2 or SWL. We clearly know that the re is a pad for expansion in DL that lines up almost perfectly with the pad in DHS. If things follow suit and the expansions mirror themselves it make sense to keep this area ready for future expansion.

doctornick

View attachment 143033

My guess is that area is being earmarked for Star Wars expansion in the future -- a similar plot in a similar location is set aside in DL for SW future development.

Granted, that's a pretty sizeable area that could fit a new land, but the guest flow would be pretty tough as it would be essentially a dead end without significant changes to the east (in the area of SoA).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom