The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

CDavid

The ridership numbers will jump up considerably next year when All Aboard Florida begins service.

Not going to happen.

Back to reality, the state decided to put up for bid the OIA to convention center ROW that American Maglev Technologies wants to use for their proposed slow-moving (49 MPH) maglev Automated People Mover service they hope to build.

Good grief - are they serious? Sorry, but a 49-mph Maglev isn't reality - it's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of.

Cesar R M

So that's their little plan, get us addicted and then jack up the price!
homer107.gif
so, limited time magic will be converted into "limited time magic for a fee" ?

Also, speaking of the Swan.. who owns these hotels? do they count as "disney" in therms of benefits? or they are completely separate "benefit" like?

Mickey_777

Never cruised before. Tried a couple years ago using DVC points but that was a joke. Ended up going to Hotel Del. A friend was a huge fan of the Norway and NCL but has yet to go on a DCL. He for obvious reasons pushes me to NCL. We would like to do the 7 day Caribbean cruise as I would like to stop at Caymans. I sum the minimum wage up to the "all about me" and "how much it would cost me" mentality.

You can't go wrong with NCL if you ask me. The food is great and ships are beautiful and vibrant. Service ain't too shabby either. Plus being able to dine when you want wherever and with whomever you want is hard to beat. We've been wanting to try DCL for obvious reasons but given the value we get from an NCL or even RCCL (priced vs DCL), we haven't gotten around to it. We always joke if we do DCL, we won't go back and our wallet is gonna suffer.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
so, limited time magic will be converted into "limited time magic for a fee" ?

Also, speaking of the Swan.. who owns these hotels? do they count as "disney" in therms of benefits? or they are completely separate "benefit" like?

The Swan is owned by the Tishman Hotel Corporation and operated by Westin. The Dolphin is owned by the Tishman Hotel Corporation and operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts. They do not participate in the Magic Express bus program, but do share a number of other WDW benefits. They're both very nice hotels in an excellent location on property. For more detailed specifics, you may want to enter a search on the hotels forum.

Last edited:

WDWFanDave

OK. I think it still is best for discussions like this to stick with Disney owned and operated properties. Otherwise you muddy the waters.

Besides, how many folks here have stayed at the Buena Vista Palace, dined at the Giraffe Cafe or had the best Japanese food on Disney property at the Hilton's Benihana?

Well, since you asked, stayed at the Buena Vista Palace, but quite some time ago...was a trip back in the 80s.

Interesting to note...price then seems to be not all that far from the price now. When we stayed there, I remember it being in the $100-$150 price range, which was a really big deal for our family, so we were there just one night. Have actually considered staying there on a future trip, but want to take the time to check and make sure it's still as nice as I remember. Guessing it probably is :)

Speaking of next trip, thinking we will try the DCL, perhaps a 3 day, then spend 2-3 days at USF/IOA, and 1 day at the MK (cause I want to see the new parade and ride the mine train). And, if I can't get a decent rate on DCL, then it'll be a different cruise followed by those things. Disney has pretty much priced us out. Went the last couple of years with the 'Free' dining promo, and about the only way I'll eat in the parks is if I don't have to pay for it separately.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. :D

Longhairbear

Yes. Ask why those resorts are available. The one thing they all share is they are vastly overpriced and Disney has issues filling all of them (except Contemp during conventions) ... and interesting they are screwing over DVCers who actually are dumb enough to book them.
From the comments I read, DVCers think it's too many points to waste on a regular room.
Yes. Ask why those resorts are available. The one thing they all share is they are vastly overpriced and Disney has issues filling all of them (except Contemp during conventions) ... and interesting they are screwing over DVCers who actually are dumb enough to book them.
While not a good sampling , or cross section of opinions, what I'm reading is disdain from the DVC members on this. I'm only reading opinions from one forum.

ParentsOf4

From the comments I read, DVCers think it's too many points to waste on a regular room.

While not a good sampling , or cross section of opinions, what I'm reading is disdain from the DVC members on this. I'm only reading opinions from one forum.
The problem with sampling DVC members online is that they tend to represent the most-informed members.

Frankly, at $155/point and with the required points per night, I don't understand how anyone who has done the math could ever justify paying Disney's price for the Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF).

Yet Disney sold 122,318 points at VGF in January. (Around $18M in sales for the month. Yes, one is born every minute. ;))

And I cannot fathom exchanging DVC points for anything because the exchange rates are so bad.

Yet people exchange into the Disney Collection, DCL, and RCI all the time.

On so many levels, WDW preys on the uninformed and the downright lazy.

Last edited:

WildcatDen

:angelic:
Den...Dan...the truth will always set you free.
There is only one truth, one light, and if you mean to say this will set you free, it is not that easy. Following the path of truth is a much harder decision to make and an even harder path to follow. Those who seek to destroy the truth will find themselves in a place they do not want to be, but then again, we reap what we sow. A double fisting blind Mickey once said to me, "Dan. . ." I pretty much tuned him out at that point.

FutureWorld1982

One other note on making up the numbers any way you can, just in to the Spirit Cave is the fact that availability of cast discounts on resort rooms have been slashed.

When did THAT happen? It was once of the few things I actually took advantage of every once in a while. Oh, well...

The shame of it is that families of 5 still don't have a good, affordable option on site (and no, I don't consider the trundel bed at Port Orleans a "good option") and families of 6 (as I'm sure you well know) are really out in the cold.;)

We had the same problem and would like more choice, but my kids loved the new pull down bed at Port Orleans, they all wanted to sleep in it but in the end my daughter got it and the boys got the other double.

My only criticisms of Port Orleans would be the queues in the food court (especially when you have to use 5 different queues because everyone wants something different), and the lack of tables/chairs in the bar to listen to Bob, not that you get to sit down much when Bob is performing.

PhotoDave219

Villians?? Was that arguably the most popular (in addition to being the biggest CF :banghead:) of last year's LTMs?

For reasons unknown, forecasting did not anticipate the crowds that showed up for the villains event until day of and the number went up exponentially during the day.

One would hope that in the future they would start incorporating off-duty cast members and passholders into their modeling... Because if there's a one time only special party happening? All the hard-core fans are going to make a way to show up.

PeterAlt

Not going to happen.

Good grief - are they serious? Sorry, but a 49-mph Maglev isn't reality - it's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of.
AAF is already under construction here in S. Florida and the Miami station will soon break ground. It will happen.

As for AMT, that's a wild card. Odds are against them. I'd like to see what the competing proposals will be...

PeterAlt

I am not sure how American Maglev is still in business. The driveway to their test facility seems more like a good place to meet Walter White for a purchase, but I'd probably be a giddy if I ever saw the train on the track.
They have "deals" all over the place, including a system in Puerto Rico and a small run from the a raves stadium to the nearest MARTA station.

Goofyernmost

It's such a shame. When AOA was announced, it seemed like exactly what Disney World needed. An answer to the Nickelodeon Suites. A convenient place for families of 5 or 6 to stay at a reasonable price. It was classified as a Value, so I certainly didn't expect pricing to line up with a Deluxe room.

We actually stayed at AoA last trip for one reason. My mom came with us. So it was either get two rooms or share a suite. The price was roughly equivalent. And if we had gone the two rooms route, we might not have been adjacent. So it made sense to get the suite. But unless you are splitting the cost with someone else, AoA makes no sense at all.

The shame of it is that families of 5 still don't have a good, affordable option on site (and no, I don't consider the trundel bed at Port Orleans a "good option") and families of 6 (as I'm sure you well know) are really out in the cold.

We stopped having kids because a third child just didn't fit into a Disney World vacation budget. ;)

When my wife and I got married, we made a conscience decision that in order to have some of the nicer things in life and to be able to give our children all the advantages possible, we would limit our family size to two children. With that number we were better able to give the extras, such as Disney, and enjoy them.

I realize that people that want big families have a different priority then I did, and there is nothing wrong with that. When it becomes a problem is when they expect to be able to do the same things as smaller families for the same price or close. When you decide to have a larger number of kids, you have to assume that the cost of providing for them goes up by every single individual that is produced. That's not either business or societies problem, or, at least, it shouldn't be.

I don't know why Disney doesn't recognize that situation in a positive manner, but, if you look at the rest of Disney's pricing structure it is plain that there really is no concern about how much anyone has to pay to use their services. Fortunately, there is a thing called competition that provides alternatives to what Disney offers. BTW, I don't believe that the words affordable and Disney can be used in the same sentence.

Offsite offers many great family deals. There is no lost magic while eyes are closed during sleep. A kid might love a themed Disney pool, but, they will get equally excited over a rectangle one with water in it. A family of 6 gives no incentive to Disney. Of the six only two are actually making decisions about how much money to spend and they don't make a fortune selling kids meals, so no incentive on their part to worry about large families.

Last edited:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Don't get all excited about the MSUSA bypass. Just don't. You WILL be disappointed (unless you are one of the addicts).
I know the answer to this question of course, but
Were there really any people out there getting excited for this bypass? My expectations for it have been just about what I've seen lately come around these boards for the plan. I'm a supporter of the bypass, been using it for years to avoid the tangled masses on MSUSA (my massive stroller has trouble navigating through the crowds), so my expectations have been that they would take the cheapest possible way to potentially hide the parking lot and backs of the buildings.
I'm not sure I saw anyone really believing that they were going to go all DLP on us here, or build a second MSUSA or anything.
Were there really? I mean, people with a tentative grip on reality of course, which does narrow down the pool a wee bit.

71jason

For reasons unknown, forecasting did not anticipate the crowds that showed up for the villains event until day of and the number went up exponentially during the day.

Corporate forecasting--at least one guy on these boards predicted the park would go to capacity. Only to have several people insist I was crazy.

One would hope that in the future they would start incorporating off-duty cast members and passholders into their modeling... Because if there's a one time only special party happening? All the hard-core fans are going to make a way to show up.

Agreed. Especially with a Halloween-ish event in Orlando.

Talked to an entertainment guy heavily involved in last year's show a few weeks after, he was convinced it was a trial run for a more permanent hard ticket event. One money grab I actually wouldn't begrudge Disney. Not sure what else of LTM could be monetized--maybe the long-rumored Valentines parties, but missed the boat on those this year.

Bolna

Speaking of next trip, thinking we will try the DCL, perhaps a 3 day, then spend 2-3 days at USF/IOA, and 1 day at the MK (cause I want to see the new parade and ride the mine train). And, if I can't get a decent rate on DCL, then it'll be a different cruise followed by those things. Disney has pretty much priced us out. Went the last couple of years with the 'Free' dining promo, and about the only way I'll eat in the parks is if I don't have to pay for it separately.

I would suggest looking into the 5-night cruises DCL does out of Miami. Those are better priced than theBahamian cruises out of PC. I did one as my first cruise and the longer timer on the ships lets you get more into the relaxed cruise mood. Also I thought Cozumel was beautiful and with everything I have heard about Nassau it is a much preferable destination. I thought the Wonder was just wonderful even if she is not as new as the Dream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom