The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Funmeister

Well, not sure who this "Dan" fellow is of who you speak, but you never know, he may just know the 'truth'

"Dan"..."Den"....it doesn't matter really. Everyone knows the 'truth' about something. I guess it only matters what people pick and choose out of context. Remember one thing Den...Dan...the truth will always set you free.

muteki

Depends who you ask.
I had given up on ever riding it again...so it would be nice if they fixed it up and kept it. I just couldn't see how it would be possible to keep it running and do all the other star-wars related things they were planning for the area.

Cody5242

Not happening.

But a Frozen barebones overlay to the ride has been pitched.
Of course it's going to be barebones.... And here I thought maybe they would give this ride a little bit of effort. The Maelstrom show building isn't even that big to begin with am I right? So I'm guessing it would be a short ride

lebeau

I don't think you wanna screw with your natural "good cop/bad cop" dynamic.
11644612075_8d132361f0.jpg

Cesar R M

Very painful to like this because I hate this. But you are just backing up what we already know.

agree, also.. wow.. either you're really tall or the CM on that suit is tiny! (reminds me on how small is Wizard mickey at the studios at WDW)

"Dan"..."Den"....it doesn't matter really. Everyone knows the 'truth' about something. I guess it only matters what people pick and choose out of context. Remember one thing Den...Dan...the truth will always set you free.

We have been enlightened!
I had given up on ever riding it again...so it would be nice if they fixed it up and kept it. I just couldn't see how it would be possible to keep it running and do all the other star-wars related things they were planning for the area.
probably a perfect excuse to can the ride and just reuse the land for Star wars stuff.

DisneyDad1977

agree, also.. wow.. either you're really tall or the CM on that suit is tiny! (reminds me on how small is Wizard mickey at the studios at WDW)

We have been enlightened!

probably a perfect excuse to can the ride and just reuse the land for Star wars stuff.

Smallest character I have ever seen. I was a good 18 inches taller(not counting the top hat!)

stlphil

You can blame management for not being more transparent about the refurb schedule and its constant changes, but the problem itself is a series of unfortunate events that unfolded at the same time.
1. DLR always has an aggressive winter refurb schedule.
2. Big Thunder was supposed to be ready in October 2013, but has been delayed big time, keeping it from coming back online.
3. The lawyers have pursued a tight timetable for making all of DLR meet current OSHA/DOSH standards. With a large number of older attractions that were grandfathered into older standards, DLR has a large number of projects going on simultaneously to get everything up to current standards. This includes taking down attractions like Small World for a longer period of time than normal and even working on the facade of Space Mountain during the day, which typically is reserved for third shift.
4. If Micechat is to be believed many of the projects they had planned were delayed due to money being frozen to deal with MM+ overruns, leaving them scrambling to adjust the schedule on the fly.

All in all they were dealt a bad hand with several departments tugging at them from all directions. The only attraction that could argued is down for purely cost cutting purposes is Nemo, but it is in dire need of a refurb anyway and actually closed a day earlier than expected due to the show building literally falling apart.
All that being said, DL still has more attractions up and running right now than MK at 100%.

My comment was simply jumping at a chance to be snarky, but thanks for providing this detailed explanation of the situation.

As you point out, though, management could have done a much better job in the transparency department. And while having so many attractions at DL does give them some cover, I still think that richness of attractions is something that Colglazier is still coming to terms with.

While the high operational costs of the subs isn't surprising, what is surprising is that the building is in such bad shape. The big and expensive conversion to Nemo wasn't that many years ago. Did they defer building/infrastructure refurb at that time because the Nemo upgrade/overlay was so expensive?

PeterAlt

Since DVC rooms run at much higher occupancy rates than cash rooms, DVC does pull the overall occupancy rate up a bit, around 3%.

It's rather complicated because Disney counts DVC units as "2-bedroom equivalents". Physically, that's the same square footage as 3 Deluxe Resort rooms. As most DVC members know, DVC has "lock offs". That means turning a 2BR villa into a 1BR villa and a Studio. These units more often than not are booked separately. So you'd think Disney would want to count them separately to improve the occupancy rate even more, right?

No, because if they do that, then it kills the supremely important "Per Room Guest Spending" number, which is one of the key metrics monitored both internally and by Wall Street. Counting a 2BR lock-off as two separate units would bring down PRGS.

What you have to remember is that WDW averages over 5000 empty rooms per night. In addition, DVC members have been exchanging their points in increasing numbers for non-WDW uses. Offering high-priced exchanges for empty hotel rooms is one way to get these DVC members to stay at WDW.

It also frees up those DVC rooms for exchanges by non-DVC members (e.g. RCI). DVC is a very popular exchange in the timeshare community.

"Let's get DVC members to pay a lot for cash rooms and then let's get non-DVC members to pay a lot for DVC rooms."

DVC has them coming and going!

P.S. One more thing. The new program (which appears on the DVC home page and so is confirmed) also reveals where occupancy rates are weakest. DVC members can now book at all Deluxe Resorts and the 2-room "Family Suite" at Art Of Animation.

Interesting. I guess that rush of offsite guests that were supposed to flood WDW Resorts because of the allure of MagicBands hasn't materialized yet. ;)

And it looks like AOA's almost $400/night "value" suite at AOA isn't particularly popular among value-conscious consumers. What a surprise!
Yeah, they need to follow Uni's model and outsource the hotel business. It would actually save the company money, while forcing them to refocus on the theme park business.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Wednesday Musings:

Don't get all excited about the MSUSA bypass. Just don't. You WILL be disappointed (unless you are one of the addicts).

As I stated in the ticket price thread, please understand the increase was rushed through and was not scheduled to happen until June. Iger is on Georgie's like an Imagineer on a fanboi (let's see how long this one lasts) to make his Wall Street numbers happen. This is just the first step. What else is percolating at Disney?

Increases in food and beverages pricing and a decrease in CM discounts.

Disney is strongly looking at adding more hard ticket events at the TPFKaTD-MGMS and DAK.

There will be Star Wars Weekends character dining added and announced soon.

Disney is basically looking at anything that was well received during Limited Time MAGIC and trying to use aspects of those successes as upcharge events that again help to cover for the failure of MM+/NGE.

Special Fun With Tweets: (Rip Tim O' Day Edition)

@EPCOTcitizen 11h
Remember when Tim O'Day endlessly mocked "We're Getting Ready for You" in front of die hard EPCOT fans? Dude doesn't get it.

Andy Castro ‏@21royalstreet
I'm hoping (but not holding my breath) @DisneyD23 will stop using Tim O'Day at events. He comes off as slimy and seriously kills the vibe.

With all the news that he is missing, this is what Jason Garcia has been tirelessly working on:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...xpress-traffic-rises-20140226,0,5185442.story

WDW1974

Original Poster
Fun With Tweets:

EPCOT Explorer ‏@EPCOTExplorer 58m
I think it’s pretty petty that Universal is raising ticket prices in response to Disney…but at least they’ve had expansion that warrants it.

EPCOT Explorer ‏@EPCOTExplorer 4h
I really wish Mark Twain spoke of his experiences in the 24th century during the American Adventure. Shame he left all of that out.

E. Cardon Walker ‏@ECardonWalker 5h
"Let It Go" pretty accurately expresses my opinion of "Let It Go" by now

E. Cardon Walker ‏@ECardonWalker 5h
Unsubtle things: Iger making announcements from behind a podium with the New York mayoral seal

E. Cardon Walker ‏@ECardonWalker Feb 25
Your inexplicable fact of the day - they originally wanted to theme Epcot's Soarin ride to Treasure Planet

Repentant Orc ‏@AnotherVoiceDIS 3h
So New York is giving Disney $4 million to film Marvel shows in the city. Glad the city doesn't have poor people who need that money.

Christopher ‏@BuenaVista28 21h
@WestCotCenter Yea, well foamers are delusional. Just like WDW isn't doing anything....well except for Avatar oh and Mine Train oh and...

Derek Burgan ‏@derekburgan Feb 25
@YesThatBrian @TurkeyLegJeff @guyselga WDW fans too busy bashing international guests to reflect how they look to non-Disney community.

Jim Disney ‏@westcoasternet Feb 25
@YesThatBrian “pixie duster” is a cute term coined by the angry folks who hated being called out for being a-holes. It’s cute.

David Daut ‏@Illusion0fLife Feb 24
In their current states, DCA is arguably a better park than EPCOT and DAK, but the latter have far more potential than DCA will ever have.

WDW Vacationer ‏@WDWVacationer Feb 24
The Hub at MK has been really the only part of that park they haven't destroyed so naturally it's time to destroy it.

Cody5242

Don't get all excited about the MSUSA bypass. Just don't. You WILL be disappointed (unless you are one of the addicts).

As I stated in the ticket price thread, please understand the increase was rushed through and was not scheduled to happen until June. Iger is on Georgie's like an Imagineer on a fanboi (let's see how long this one lasts) to make his Wall Street numbers happen. This is just the first step. What else is percolating at Disney?

Disney is strongly looking at adding more hard ticket events at the TPFKaTD-MGMS and DAK.

Disney is basically looking at anything that was well received during Limited Time MAGIC and trying to use aspects of those successes as upcharge events that again help to cover for the failure of MM+/NGE.

@EPCOTcitizen 11h
Remember when Tim O'Day endlessly mocked "We're Getting Ready for You" in front of die hard EPCOT fans? Dude doesn't get it.

I'm hoping (but not holding my breath) @DisneyD23 will stop using Tim O'Day at events. He comes off as slimy and seriously kills the vibe.

With all the news that he is missing, this is what Jason Garcia has been tirelessly working on:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...xpress-traffic-rises-20140226,0,5185442.story
Do any if the hard ticket events sound appealing? A hard ticket event for AK sounds interesting

KYWDW

@EPCOTcitizen 11h

You didn't muse about Cruisers Choice giving DCL 6-10 awards. Between your fondness and some friends fondness as we'll I may booking my next vacation with DCL.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Guys... Marvel Half Marathon coming this fall to DLR. Don't forget DISNEY OWNS MARVEL!! DISNEY OWNS MARVEL!!
http://runnersworld.com/races/rundisney-adds-super-hero-themed-races

Was only a matter of time.

The RunDisney empire just keeps growing, which is weird because the size of their guests keeps increasing ... but they are placing them on the calendar as fast as they can because they fill rooms and raise revenue ... last weekend would have been dead at WDW ... but suddenly it winds up busy as hell because Disney has a race.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just read an interesting development. DVC is now offering the AoA, BC, Contemporary, and AK on points for members. Up until now, the only resort one could book points at any resort with a DVC wing, was Grand California. It was assumed that was because there are only 50 villas at GC. It's also interesting that the number of points needed to book at the regular rooms cost twice as much as for the villa studios. ( I haven't checked this info myself, just repeating what I read on another site.)

Yes. Ask why those resorts are available. The one thing they all share is they are vastly overpriced and Disney has issues filling all of them (except Contemp during conventions) ... and interesting they are screwing over DVCers who actually are dumb enough to book them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Speaking of hotels and Disney, would someone please Tweet Robert Niles @Theme Park Insider and tell him that he almost word for word lifted my comments that can be found in numerous posts here and on LaughingPlace.com that WDW operates as a real estate and hotel operation with theme parks as an ancillary business because I hate when people borrow from me and don't credit (even if it was subconscious) me ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom