The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Nubs70

Like one of THESE

PICKUPS.jpg
An additional feature of this "train engine" is it's dual use purpose. By day, it can pull the train. By night, it can be used by maintenance services. The benefit is that the cost can be diluted across two business units. This would require the purchase of removable side vehicle signage. One sign for train and another for maintenance. The signage cost should be minimal and should not negatively impact savings to a meaningful degree.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
An additional feature of this "train engine" is it's dual use purpose. By day, it can pull the train. By night, it can be used by maintenance services. The benefit is that the cost can be diluted across two business units. This would require the purchase of removable side vehicle signage. One sign for train and another for maintenance. The signage cost should be minimal and should not negatively impact savings to a meaningful degree.

Said removable signage will improve residual value as vehicle body will not be defaced with permanent markings which will improve residual value after depreciation from 10-15% providing of course there is no unrepaired body damage at disposal.

Removable signage can be used on replacement vehicle further reducing costs for the company over permanent signage.

jlsHouston

View attachment 46788 View attachment 46789

Would it have killed them to put up some memorabilia and theming on this wall at Casey's? (pics from da mouse)

They should have done a murial on that big blank wall...what were they thinking ? I'm glad for additional seating although we actually liked the bleachers and the movie, but this was the best they could do for decor?

RSoxNo1

I'm sure I'm over simplifying this but here is my understanding of Disney's "plan" as it's been articulated in these threads.
  • Next Gen is part of Disney's Blue Ocean strategy and will lead to guests changing the way they tour the parks. They are doing this because competing with Comcast/Universal in attraction driven Theme Park Wars would be too costly.
  • Next Gen had an initial budget of $800 million and has now ballooned to the $2-$2.5 billion range.
  • Next Gen will continue to eat up resources because the shelf life of this technology is far shorter than that of any attraction.
  • The components of Next Gen are not generating revenue at the same rate of the amortization of the Next Gen components themselves.
Given all this, is there anyone in the company willing to say the hole is getting deeper and the end result is going to be not only getting their butt's kicked from an attraction and hotel standpoint, but a system that is nothing more than a trip planning tool. A better investment would have been to offer @lentesta $800 million for Touring Plans and then use the remaining $1.2-1.7 on new attractions.

Thessair

Maintenance? What's that?

DisneyGentleman

I think the best theme so far posted today was posted by @WDW1974 Steam train conversion is nothing but a "pat-on-the-back-lets-feel-good-about-ourselves" environmental move so they can get a freakin' Cricket award for having "Environmentality!"
And almost every hotel I go to has taken the phony "enviro-twist" to avoid having to wash your towels and sheets. If they were genuinely concerned about the environment, there are a bazillion other things they could be doing.

In general, enviro-friendly can be translated as dollar-friendly.

The main issue with steam trains is that they take a lot of man hours and safety work. To control costs, Disney wants a turn-key system. I can't say I blame them on this one, as steam boilers can be a big hazard if not maintained properly. It's one place where deferred maintenance cannot be tolerated.

fillerup

Just thought I'd throw this in here for the few of you who are discussing alternative sources of power generation at WDW.

This is from the 2/20 O'Sentinel, article by Kevin Spear:

Plant turns Disney food scraps into electricity

"The big truck tipped its load, and out gushed a bubbling slop of burger pieces, buns, onions, carrot peels, whole oranges, lettuce bits and much more that smelled as sour as it looked. Paul Sellew watched as if he were getting a gift.

"It's beautiful," he said.

Sellew founded Harvest Power Inc., which has started a factory at Walt Disney World that turns what's scraped off plates at restaurants into electricity and fertilizer."

Full article: O'Sentinel

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
And almost every hotel I go to has taken the phony "enviro-twist" to avoid having to wash your towels and sheets. If they were genuinely concerned about the environment, there are a bazillion other things they could be doing.

In general, enviro-friendly can be translated as dollar-friendly.

The main issue with steam trains is that they take a lot of man hours and safety work. To control costs, Disney wants a turn-key system. I can't say I blame them on this one, as steam boilers can be a big hazard if not maintained properly. It's one place where deferred maintenance cannot be tolerated.

It is not phony. Most major hotel companies (like the one I work for) have major sustainability programs and their hotels must meet certain standards put in place by the company. The towel/sheet thing you mention is just one part of it.

ParentsOf4

Given all this, is there anyone in the company willing to say the hole is getting deeper and the end result is going to be not only getting their butt's kicked from an attraction and hotel standpoint, but a system that is nothing more than a trip planning tool.
The twisted part about large corporate investments is that each time a project is evaluated, it doesn't matter how much money has been thrown away in the past. Instead, you focus on how much going forward you think it's going to take to get it finished vs. how much you think it will generate once it is.

The really twisted part is that each time there is a "Come to Jesus" meeting where a go/no-go decision has to be made, everyone is afraid to come clean with costs and sales projections because they are absolutely convinced their jobs are on the line if the project is cancelled. So, time and again, they provide optimistic estimates even though the company is getting burned.

I wonder if this is happening with MyMagic+? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DisneyGentleman

It is not phony. Most major hotel companies (like the one I work for) have major sustainability programs and their hotels must meet certain standards put in place by the company. The towel/sheet thing you mention is just one part of it.
I know the song - "we are Hotel X, and we care about the environment"

Well they don't care about anything except the bottom line. So-called sustainability goals factor into ad campaigns and are used to increase sales.

Take Whole Foods, for example. Ultimately they are a premium brand charging premium prices.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I know the song - "we are Hotel X, and we care about the environment"

Well they don't care about anything except the bottom line. So-called sustainability goals factor into ad campaigns and are used to increase sales.

Take Whole Foods, for example. Ultimately they are a premium brand charging premium prices.

I cannot speak about other hospitality companies expect for the one I work for. And we definitely take sustainability seriously and it is not for show. Sure it makes for good PR, but our efforts are real and can be measured.

DisneyGentleman

Well, I'd say it is themed to be a wall. It's just Disney's equivalent of Ren & Stimpy's "Log".

"It's lo-og, it's lo-og, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's lo-og, it's lo-og, it's better than bad, it's good."
At WDW it's more like:

"It's wa-all, it's wa-all, it's big, it's heavy, it's plaster.
It's wa-all, it's wa-all, we'll cycle guests through all the faster"

culturenthrills

Hey speaking of cutbacks I'm at Epcot today for the final Ziti Sisters shows. One of my really close friends is losing her job today. Myself and some others are here to shoot their final shows and cheer them off. Another piece of entertainment at WDW bites the dust. Well at least the Frozen M&G is only an hour wait now too bad there is nothing to entertain you while in line cause they cut the show in Norway years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom