The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Funmeister

I think the next smartest resort move Disney could/should make at WDW is to convert the remainder of the Pop Century property into expanded Art of Animation.

TalkingHead

According to someone at UO, Team Members will begin training on Gringotts the first week of May.

Not too shabby -- maybe those rumors of a late May soft opening will turn out to be true.

On a side note, anyone notice the Disney Parks Blog had, like, the one-thousandth post about the detailing on the Dwarves Mine Train, and one of the comments was a snide remark about Disney spending extra time putting details on their ride unlike another park that quickly built an unadorned ride in a year's time. Dr. Blondie replied to the comment with a smiley.

Something tells me Universal's going to have all the smileys this summer.

stlphil

Whomever said...FP+ were/are correct in my mind. However, that is just a part of it. If Disney has the ability to track people in the park they also know if they are in Stand-by at any other attraction as well. They will be able to have an almost exact count of the numbers of people that visit an attraction each day. What time of day. FP vs Standby, etc. Not just FP attractions but all of them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but, it seems to me that this would be the real reason for tracking much more then the Foil-cap theories that have been bantered about in the past. None of those really made any sense, but, attraction count surely does. Over-time, with proper analysis, they can increase revenue by just knowing what people enjoy the most.
I don't think the current FP+ is it, because FP+ still doesn't assign a specific amount of revenue to a specific ride. Not at all the same as a customer choosing to spend some real cash to get on a ride. Of course the bands "could" be used for this, just tap to pay to get on a ride (and then enter your PIN, it's so efficient).

Actually thinking about it more, this idea may have had its initial trial at DisneyQuest. When DQ first opened, you paid to put an amount of value on a card, and you swiped the card at each experience to deduct value from the card. Each experience "cost" a different amount, which was deducted from the balance on the card. I know that doesn't sound like much today, what with rechargeable store cards and gift cards being so common, but it was pretty innovative for the time. The cool thing about those cards was that you could swipe them in any orientation.

My strongest recollection about the interaction with Tony that long-ago day was the look of total disappointment on his face when he saw the aghast reaction he got from everyone there at the notion of going back to paying for rides. I suspect that that reaction was common, and may explain why this was never implemented in the parks.

Goofyernmost

I don't think the current FP+ is it, because FP+ still doesn't assign a specific amount of revenue to a specific ride. Not at all the same as a customer choosing to spend some real cash to get on a ride. Of course the bands "could" be used for this, just tap to pay to get on a ride (and then enter your PIN, it's so efficient).

Actually thinking about it more, this idea may have had its initial trial at DisneyQuest. When DQ first opened, you paid to put an amount of value on a card, and you swiped the card at each experience to deduct value from the card. Each experience "cost" a different amount, which was deducted from the balance on the card. I know that doesn't sound like much today, what with rechargeable store cards and gift cards being so common, but it was pretty innovative for the time. The cool thing about those cards was that you could swipe them in any orientation.

My strongest recollection about the interaction with Tony that long-ago day was the look of total disappointment on his face when he saw the aghast reaction he got from everyone there at the notion of going back to paying for rides. I suspect that that reaction was common, and may explain why this was never implemented in the parks.
When you charge one rate for whatever, the value of each ride is measured by the numbers of people, in comparison, that actually ride it. There is no way to quantify anything under the present pricing structure, so they have to use some sort of matrix to assign a value based on usage. And please, the last thing we should ever want is the return of ticket books or even the cards for a venue as big as the parks. It can work for a small individual machine operated system, like DQ, but, I can't see it happening with todays parks.

Animaniac93-98

According to someone at UO, Team Members will begin training on Gringotts the first week of May.

Not too shabby -- maybe those rumors of a late May soft opening will turn out to be true.

On a side note, anyone notice the Disney Parks Blog had, like, the one-thousandth post about the detailing on the Dwarves Mine Train, and one of the comments was a snide remark about Disney spending extra time putting details on their ride unlike another park that quickly built an unadorned ride in a year's time. Dr. Blondie replied to the comment with a smiley.

Something tells me Universal's going to have all the smileys this summer.

Saw that comment and figure said poster has never seen the inside of Transformers or the scale of the building in person.

stlphil

When you charge one rate for whatever, the value of each ride is measured by the numbers of people, in comparison, that actually ride it. There is no way to quantify anything under the present pricing structure, so they have to use some sort of matrix to assign a value based on usage.
The problem is that under the present pricing structure there is NO specific value measured for each ride. This leads to the "rides don't generate revenue" mindset, "so why should we build more rides?".

And I agree, I don't want to go back to ticket books either.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The problem is that under the present pricing structure there is NO specific value measured for each ride. This leads to the "rides don't generate revenue" mindset, "so why should we build more rides?".

And I agree, I don't want to go back to ticket books either.
Most people don't go to a baseball game to buy hotdogs and cracker jacks. They buy hotdogs and cracker jacks because they are there to see a baseball game.

CDavid

If Disney has the ability to track people in the park they also know if they are in Stand-by at any other attraction as well. They will be able to have an almost exact count of the numbers of people that visit an attraction each day. What time of day. FP vs Standby, etc. Not just FP attractions but all of them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but, it seems to me that this would be the real reason for tracking much more then the Foil-cap theories that have been bantered about in the past. None of those really made any sense, but, attraction count surely does. Over-time, with proper analysis, they can increase revenue by just knowing what people enjoy the most.

Disney doesn't need the Magic Band's tracking abilities to get accurate attraction counts; They've had that information all along (initially with turnstiles). They already know how many people ride Spaceship Earth or that Sounds Dangerous used to attract small crowds and have always been able to make decisions based on that information. Speaking solely of attraction count information, I can't see much advantage which the Magic Band's tracking capabilities give over simply counting the number of warm bodies passing through the entrance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney doesn't need the Magic Band's tracking abilities to get accurate attraction counts; They've had that information all along (initially with turnstiles). They already know how many people ride Spaceship Earth or that Sounds Dangerous used to attract small crowds and have always been able to make decisions based on that information. Speaking solely of attraction count information, I can't see much advantage which the Magic Band's tracking capabilities give over simply counting the number of warm bodies passing through the entrance.
Agreed. The only new info they really get is which demographic group prefers a ride. For instance if the under 10 crowd skips Spaceship Earth they could add Phineas and Ferb to the queue to attract them;). On the flip side if only families with kids ride dumbo they could add a beer cart to "attract" adults. They serve beer in MK now right? The total count of riders per day should have been pretty well known already.

lazyboy97o

How much individuals do can now be more accurately tracked. That information can then be compared to satisfaction surveys.

stlphil

Most people don't go to a baseball game to buy hotdogs and cracker jacks. They buy hotdogs and cracker jacks because they are there to see a baseball game.
But the bean counter says "We know we got x dollars just from selling hot dogs, let's put in more hot dog stands. We don't know how many people came to the game just to see our high-priced All-Star catcher, so let's cut him and go with the league-minimum rookie instead."

Cesar R M

but why would hotdogs and crackers would want to see a baseball game? ;)

I remember when people said they would never add garages to DTD. :facepalm:

disney probably realized they can leech tons of money with parking services now.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Now here is a truly interesting dilemma (and keep in mind I am a big Universal supporter). Would we rather have had a Transformers like E-ticket plopped in SDMT spot (which is to say a great attraction indoors, but pretty poor outdoors). Or SDMT, which is arguably E-ticket themed "outside" and (what insiders say) is a pretty moderate - or mediocre if you will attraction on the "inside".

Yes, yes, we want both of course (as in Harry Potter), but having to actually choose...

I dunno... personally I'd pick SDMT, certainly for Fantasyland.

One could conceivably make the argument that Universal may have been better off with a SDMT-like experience as well, it needs more family rides and theming after all.

All for the point of interesting discussion of course.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Before they could only say 'X riders got on Space Mountain' - now they can attach demographics to those counts as well. How many old people, how many young, men, women, kids, etc. Then you have all the ability to track bodies outside the attractions to do things like crowd modeling. You can do things like track how bodies move THROUGH the park (guests go clockwise, or go through the hub, etc). Those are just examples of things that can be done in aggregate. Then there are countless things they can do when profiling individual's behaviors, etc.

There is a huge difference between counting anonymous blobs and blobs you can identify as a specific blob.. and one that someone has provided demographic data on prior.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Now here is a truly interesting dilemma (and keep in mind I am a big Universal supporter). Would we rather have had a Transformers like E-ticket plopped in SDMT spot (which is to say a great attraction indoors, but pretty poor outdoors). Or SDMT, which is arguably E-ticket themed "outside" and (what insiders say) is a pretty moderate - or mediocre if you will attraction on the "inside".

Yes, yes, we want both of course (as in Harry Potter), but having to actually choose...

I dunno... personally I'd pick SDMT, certainly for Fantasyland.

One could conceivably make the argument that Universal may have been better off with a SDMT-like experience as well, it needs more family rides and theming after all.

All for the point of interesting discussion of course.

The Fantasyland analogue of the less themed transformers facade would be the current medieval fair/tournament look in the original half of Fantasyland. I wouldn't really mind a couple exciting rides like Toad and Hunny Hunt with that less themed style of facade instead of a bunch of trees, parody-of-nature rockwork, and mediocre rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom