The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Cesar R M

If it has quality then it will impress people regardless of whether it's a movie tie in or not. But there's already a lot to fear that the substance is going to be lacking. An already clearly massively value engineered version of the expansion is in effect, with the main E ticket coaster having been cut out per what insiders have stated here. So we're left with a Soarin-inspired simulator along with a (potentially drop-less) boat ride described as a "C ticket".

Of the two, the boat is the only one i'm really interested in at this point. Tired of simulators entirely, not an acceptable substitute (as a headliner attraction) in my book for a real ride travelling through a show building with actual physical sets and animatronics (don't care if they're labeling it as an E ticket). So the boat ride is the only real thing in this expansion i've even got my eye on. But it's extremely concerning that the imagineers have so little faith in it that internally they've classified it as merely a C ticket in quality. Little Mermaid after all was described as an "E ticket lite" during construction, and the Mine Train is only considered a D ticket internally. That doesn't give much hope that the boat ride will be better than an already disappointing New Fantasyland.

The only possible good news is the involvement of Rohde and Cameron, but there's only so much that can be done with a project if crippling budget mutilation ends up occurring (which is likely at this point due the failed money pit of nextgen). There also isn't anyone with real power involved with the creative process who will be willing to conduct political leverage in order to keep the bean counters from ruining things (like Lasseter was able to do with Cars Land when bean counters attempted to ruin that project). Like Fantasyland, I expect this to be a pretty new area to look at (again especially with who is overseeing the project), but I have my expectations for actual ride substance and quality set extremely low.

It is absolutely impossible to make the assumption that Pandora will be good at this point. We've only got a couple of models and concept art to go off and no substantial work has even started yet. We know too little to assume the best from this.

Let's not forget the supposed new night spectacular.

Pandora as the potential to be a "mysterious new world" type attraction, not so related to the movie.. but to the wonders if the movie.
So I will be very cautious in the approach.

Eisner issues was not promoting Jeffrey Katzenberg and allowing Pixar to steal animation by using CGI where Disney refused to go. Both was caused by Eisner big ego. Frank Wells wasn't around to keep the egos in check. This all happened around 1995.

Iger know how to bring people together for a common cause. Steve Jobs health played a part with selling Pixar. I'm not sure what exactly brought George Lucas and Steve Jobs to Disney.
Was it the hate of Eisner or the smooth talking Iger that brought Pixar and Lucas to Disney?

I agree with those stating Iger biggest issue is he is not creative thus not playing attention to WDW.
Considering how huge the ego of Steve Jobs was back then... I wouldn't not be surprised if there was a big clash with other CEOS.. (doesnt anyone remember Steve's remarks against android and other products of the competition?)
Also George Lucas only seemed to use Star Wars as cashcow.. he didn't seem to have the "love" to create quality content.. he dumbed down many things that annoyed old hardcore fans just to attract kids that will forgive the franchise once a next thing that appeared (and It did with Potter)

In other news...

Just saw this.
Is this a thing now? A new cottage industry?
Could be a Fraud?
Who the hell would give a 3rd party access to your MM+ accounts?

This explains alot and wraps everything together. It was about this time when guests started to become rude, over saturation of strollers and the parks over crowded.

Quantity over Quality
IMHO the problem is not the quality over quantity argument.
The price was still high (in the resorts) to create the "Entitled Family".
Where the customer thinks they can have their way at all costs.
because they're so "Precious".

Cesar R M

The problem with employment number is the lack of accounting for the under employed. So many good jobs lost and good employees having to find a lessor paying job. In some cases they have to work 2 jobs.
Reminds me on how the Mexican government lies about unemployment.
There is no real registry of who is and who isnt.. but they sure as hell do not count those who work in "informal jobs" (aka jobs that are unregistered or in the street.. like taco vendors or old Bazaar type offerings.)
There are some numbers claiming that nearly 45% of all the jobs in Mexico are INFORMAL.
that means unregistered and that might NOT PAY TAXES... and 99% of them are tiny stores (pah and mah type stores, taco stands..etc..)

I wonder if the same is starting to happen to USA due of desperation of the population on finding jobs. Since all are being moved overseas for the pleasure of 30-50 ppl in Wall Street demanding higher margins.

People no longer cringe when a Disney movie is announced, Really???? The Lone Ranger and John Carter were cringeworthy pictures which cost in the hundreds of millions, Frozen is a SINGLE success it's awesome but I think it's one of those pictures which got made in SPITE of the executives.
Anyone noticed that most tanking movies by Disney are PG real action movies?

Trouble is I don't think you can point to anything built by WDI today and call it quality with a straight face.
Compared to the money "wasted"? (aka the final cost?)
or compared to the slow building speeds?

Duh, everyone knows admiral snack-bar is green lit!
ITS A TRAP!(tm)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
the SAME CRAPPY Mermaid just opened in Orlando after burning through 100 million bucks, So it's not just DCA

OK. Even if LM is "crappy" on both coasts that's one example. I would hardly say that WDI is not capable of producing a quality product based on 1 less than perfect ride. I'll see your LM and raise you a Radiator Springs Racers and a Mystic Manor;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I just really hope both aren't blinded by the "the old times were better" type thing that affects adults a lot.
In the case of just WDW there really is no comparing the Eisner years to the Iger years. The old times really were better. Remember that under Eisner they added 2 whole parks (or 2 half parks for some people) not to mention 2 water parks and tons of resorts. It really was a remarkable time. The only knock you could make is that in the end of the Eisner era he did begin some of the cost cutting that has accelerated under Iger.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
In the states ... yes. Moving from area to area feels organic in approach. Best looking stateside Disney park.

Completely disagree, in fact, it's down there with DHS as the worst looking, worst laid out park in my opinion, but it looks like we'd need a new thread for that discussion as this one is on about 10 other topics right now

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
How about a lie spurred on by a war-mongering administration and Wall Street ... a lie that almost destroyed this nation and one that continues to harm it greatly (let's not talk about how many unemployed or underemployed people we have that are never counted and therefore must be invisible!)

Thanks for the rhetoric. I could have turned on cable news for that.

Goofyernmost

Really, The show is HORRIBLE at Mermaid you can see the overhead and the lighting does no favors to the ride and the 1950's are calling they want their cardboard cutouts back.
I wouldn't go out on a limb here and say that Mermaid was/is an absolute pinnacle to quality and attention to detail, but, I also wouldn't call it HORRIBLE either. It has a couple of impressive animatronics, good music could be considered pleasant even if not seen as great. I enjoyed it when I saw it, but, to your point, I have no real compulsion to see it again.

Patience my friend :)
You're asking the wrong culture here. Patience, I believe, is currently under consideration to be removed from dictionaries as a word that no longer has any relevance.
The last sentence was a joke, not to be taken seriously. Everyone is so literal these days.
If it didn't happen yesterday, it ain't going to happen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Completely disagree, in fact, it's down there with DHS as the worst looking, worst laid out park in my opinion, but it looks like we'd need a new thread for that discussion as this one is on about 10 other topics right now
The park is huge and the layout can be a little confusing at times because of that, but nothing like DHS. IMHO it's the best looking of the domestic parks. It still lacks the proper quantity of attractions, but the theming and attention to detail is top notch IMHO. Except for dino carnival land:(

Soarin' Over Pgh

I feel sympathy for today's youth who have never experienced a truly booming economy during their entire professional lives.

And just like the WDW of old, it's something I fear we will never experience again... Which is very sad.

I would disagree. Carsland and all of DCA 2.0 comes to mind. FLE is actually very high quality. The attention to detail is there. They are spending money to correct small things like site line issues behind Gaston's. The place looks great. The biggest complaint is lack of substance and rides. That's not all on WDI. The foreign parks all have WDI projects in them. Issues with upkeep are on park ops, not WDI.

I agree. Someone crapped the bed on TLM ride but the vast majority of DCA transformation is amazing. New Fantasyland is very well done if you're looking at style only and not substance.

It's that pesky "substance" word that keeps tripping WDI up.

SJN1279

I dont think HP will EVER run out of steam, it might slow down ...
but if J.K. Rowling keeps delivering solid books about the franchise.. the series might get more fans.
the 7 books and the movies were Big ( source wise ) in content and material.

Potter has already slowed down in popularity quite a bit. It peaked at the end of book 6, leading to book 7 which dropped in 2008.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom