The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The hows and whys of Walt Disney Imagineering's higher costs have been explained. It has to do primarily with the organizational structure. Nobody else maintains such a large staff or involves so many people in the process all bogged down by meetings and decisions made by committees.

Then why so expensive TODAY relative to 20 years ago, Serious question no snark intended.

NearTheEars

Does anyone remember some crackpot that ran a scam called 'Howie's Angels' or something like that back in the late 90s? Basically, he had a flock who would call to Disney's CRO every morning at 7 a.m. and book phony ressies for Cindy's Royal Table character breakfast because it was so popular and then people would have to go through him to get them (he supposedly wasn't selling them, although I never bought that and when I first found out about what a Lou Mongello was I got the same slimy vibe!)

What does Mongello do that makes you think he's so slimy. I don't know much about him, but see he has written some trivia books and has a podcast.

Seems like a "lifestyler" that's knows a bit more about business than the rest that trumpet their love of WDW for free.

stevehousse

In case anyone missed it, WDW is raising parking another $2, from $15 to $17.

I can just imagine the conversation that thought up that one (referencing characters from Dilbert, in case anyone is wondering):

The C.E.O.: “Theme park gross margins are still well below what they were when my predecessor ran the company. It's making me look bad. I want you to think outside the box to come up with some original ideas to raise margins. Come on people. As a group, I pay you multi-millions each year to imagine the most creative ideas in the industry. Surely, you people can come up with something that will generate billions and convince everyone that I am the company's most amazing CEO ever."

Pointy-haired boss: “Hey, I have a great idea that no one has ever considered. Let’s raise parking another 13%!”

The C.E.O.: “Wow, that is brilliant. I wish I thought that one up. No doubt about now. It’s only March and you’ve already earned your annual bonus!”

:banghead:

I don't mind the parking increase at all! It costs $25 dollars for a day to park at my local six flags!?!

bhg469

You bring up a great point. People would be praising Potter's longevity if Disney had acquired the rights!

In fact I was watching HP and the Sorcerer's Stone on ABC Family (oh the irony) last night. The movie isn't stale. Not by a long shot. Not only is the film not stale, Harry Potter for my generation has been what we have grown up with. Books that were so good we would rush to the store to purchase it on opening day, and stay up till 4am that night relishing every page and wanting desperately to find out what happens next. Rowling made reading "fun" and allowed people of all ages to develop this magical world in their imagination. A magical world that was adapted to the big screen in one of the most lucrative film franchises to date. All of this culminated in a visceral theme park land straight out of the books and films to wrap all of this excitement into one fantastic experience (which will be even more enhanced this summer.

But yeah... it's just a fad
I strongly believe there will be more from the Rowling franchise, movies, TV and of course more in the parks. She created a universe that rivals just about everything that Disney has. Star wars is the only thing Disney has that could be an honest to goodness potter swatter, but it has to be executed perfectly.

lazyboy97o

Then why so expensive TODAY relative to 20 years ago, Serious question no snark intended.
Disney has long had a propensity to overspend. Phase I of Walt Disney World was supposed to be accomplished with $100 million dollars and it took $400 million. The EPCOT Center was expensive and over budget. Disneyland Paris was incredibly expensive and over budget. It is really nothing new, just compounded and made worse as decision making has shifted to more and more committees.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
People no longer cringe when a Disney movie is announced, Really???? The Lone Ranger and John Carter were cringeworthy pictures which cost in the hundreds of millions, Frozen is a SINGLE success it's awesome but I think it's one of those pictures which got made in SPITE of the executives.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

WDI was always known to put quality ahead of price. They weren't going to be the cheapest, but they would leave no stone unturned in an attempt to be innovative and painstakingly attentive to every detail. They would redo things in the name of quality that most others would leave as "good enough". Today there may be others out there who are doing the same quality work more efficiently and as a result cheaper (see Universal). I don't think its that WDI has gotten more expensive it's that they haven't evolved and are in some ways stuck in the past.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
WDI was always known to put quality ahead of price. They weren't going to be the cheapest, but they would leave no stone unturned in an attempt to be innovative and painstakingly attentive to every detail. They would redo things in the name of quality that most others would leave as "good enough". Today there may be others out there who are doing the same quality work more efficiently and as a result cheaper (see Universal). I don't think its that WDI has gotten more expensive it's that they haven't evolved and are in some ways stuck in the past.

Trouble is I don't think you can point to anything built by WDI today and call it quality with a straight face.

bhg469

What does Mongello do that makes you think he's so slimy. I don't know much about him, but see he has written some trivia books and has a podcast.

Seems like a "lifestyler" that's knows a bit more about business than the rest that trumpet their love of WDW for free.
He is clearly taking money or favors and in turn just plain lies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Trouble is I don't think you can point to anything built by WDI today and call it quality with a straight face.
I would disagree. Carsland and all of DCA 2.0 comes to mind. FLE is actually very high quality. The attention to detail is there. They are spending money to correct small things like site line issues behind Gaston's. The place looks great. The biggest complaint is lack of substance and rides. That's not all on WDI. The foreign parks all have WDI projects in them. Issues with upkeep are on park ops, not WDI.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would disagree. Carsland and all of DCA 2.0 comes to mind. FLE is actually very high quality. The attention to detail is there. They are spending money to correct small things like site line issues behind Gaston's. The place looks great. The biggest complaint is lack of substance and rides. That's not all on WDI. The foreign parks all have WDI projects in them. Issues with upkeep are on park ops, not WDI.

Really, The show is HORRIBLE at Mermaid you can see the overhead and the lighting does no favors to the ride and the 1950's are calling they want their cardboard cutouts back.

Funmeister

Star Wars is coming..and in a big way....lots of plans and ideas around this and the "10 year plan" is so it can be done the right way....regardless of when they start it won't be soon enough for us I get it and I'm with you too :)

when the steam runs out of HP (and the fake steam train), Disney will land with Star Wars after Pandora which is also going to be full of surprises

Competition is a good thing for us fans

Seriously? Please. Tell us what you know about Star Wars coming to WDW. This should be good.

bhg469

Really, The show is HORRIBLE at Mermaid you can see the overhead and the lighting does no favors to the ride and the 1950's are calling they want their cardboard cutouts back.
I thought FLE was really poorly laid out, that column structure serves no purpose and having the mine train where it is baffles me. I feel like it should have been at the very back.

Rodan75

I am not pushing anything. There was some interesting news this week when Michael visited WDW and that led to a conversation that was far more thought-provoking and deep than most of the threads around here. People joined in and it has been quite interesting conversation. Certainly better than talking about the kiddies coaster or MAGIC bands or UNI Vs. Disney: Round 7,890,654.

I do take issue with you saying the last 20 pages have been Eisner promotion here. That's just not accurate. I had/have some MAJOR issues with the way he ran the company his last 5-6 years. Some of the decisions were just horrible. That does not change all the great things that he accomplished, however.

And I appreciate the fact you appreciate what I bring to the table here. :)

My only push is for there to be accuracy in what is being discussed.

There's too much fanboi angst about Michael that has very little basis in facts. I believe in simply being honest, whether that means good, bad or ugly.

I just don't understand fanboi-ing a CEO. I have appreciation for both, but I don't worship either. (Not saying you do, but others here have taken sides in such an aggressive manner that it is comical)

TalkingHead

Whenever I drive I-75 from Lake City south to the Turnpike, I like to see which Central Florida attractions are advertising on the billboards.

I've noticed the last couple of times that there are no fewer than five new LEGOLAND billboards. I'm wondering if it's a marketing push that might be related to success of The Lego Movie. I can't help but wonder how/whether the movie will boost attendance there.

In case you're wondering, WDW's billboards on the northern portion of the Turnpike include Flower and Garden, New Fantasyland, Star Tours, and Mission: Space (yes, really -- the 10 year old E-ticket underachiever rates a billboard in 2014).

Incidentally, I saw The Lego Movie last week and thought it was the best animated movie I'd seen in many, many years. Totally enjoyed its sense of humor and storyline.

As luck would have it, I happened to see Frozen a few days ago (figured it was worth a $1 Redbox rental), and I guess I got my money's worth, if not much more. From pacing issues with the lopsided plot and songs that were frontloaded in the film, to the underdeveloped characters and a middle section that drags, I just didn't get the hype. Some great scenery, but nothing I'm dying to visit in theme park form.

Cesar R M

If TWDC does not have a plan they are either STUPID or LAZY The last movie came out what a decade ago and the franchise is even MORE popular than it was then.
They still keep doing content.. like the cartoon network series... the lego series, new games.

Some franchines really are timeless.. like Star Trek too.

Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder in what year Captain Neo was fired by Eisner?
So much anger. It's almost as if it were personal. Not just someone who says "I don't like what he did to my beloved Disney world/land/company.
I wonder the same, but then seems everyone is helping each group.
Neo seems to favor Iger (just like Jimmy did.. but then he only did due of his stock value)
the other camp favours Eisner.

I just really hope both aren't blinded by the "the old times were better" type thing that affects adults a lot.

Star Wars is coming..and in a big way....lots of plans and ideas around this and the "10 year plan" is so it can be done the right way....regardless of when they start it won't be soon enough for us I get it and I'm with you too :)

when the steam runs out of HP (and the fake steam train), Disney will land with Star Wars after Pandora which is also going to be full of surprises

Competition is a good thing for us fans
I dont think HP will EVER run out of steam, it might slow down ...
but if J.K. Rowling keeps delivering solid books about the franchise.. the series might get more fans.
the 7 books and the movies were Big ( source wise ) in content and material.

They're planning Harry Potter spinoff films based on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them right now with JK Rowling writing them. Plus Potter has proven itself as a timeless franchise, which you can't say about Avatar. Going for Avatar first instead of a Star Wars/Pixar Place expansion for the Studios comes off as some seriously skewed priorities.
Avatar would need 2 more epic movies to convert into a timeless story.. which I dont honestly think it will do.
so agree with you.

What a horrible thought, I need a container of ACME Brain Cleanser STAT, It's amazing how Disney screwed up an Edgar Rice Burroughs classic.
I actually liked John "Virginia" Carter :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom