The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

MarkTwain

I keep wondering about this myself, And I keep wondering whether the current 'down for maintenance' is a test to see how much WDW guests 'miss' the monorail.

I wonder the same, although I've never vocalized those concerns since they seem almost too depressing to even mention. But every time I step into the rattly monorails and the increasingly aged TTC, I wonder if Disney *really* has the plans to upkeep this massive system for the long-term, or if they're just running it until it won't run anymore.

Longhairbear

FP+ looks like something that truly could be perfect for me. I think it isn't a secret that I have very little use for the MK of the 21st century. Or TPFKaTD-MGMS. Only slightly more for EPCOT and DAK because simply walking around in beautiful surroundings works for me.

But thanks to FP+, I can totally game the system (just like I have always been able to). I can book three attractions that I have some interest in, stop into the MK for the 3-4 hours it is worth, ride and leave to go elsewhere ... all without dropping a single penny at the park unless I am generous and buy an ice cream. Do I need this? No. Do I want this system? No. But is it going to help Disney's bottom line where I am considered? Not at all ... again, this begs the question of how this system is going to make the billions it cost back, let alone result in ANY appreciable and direct increase in revenues let alone the 11% figure that was cited in internal Disney docs.
Some new trip reports from AP locals say they are spending less time, and money in the parks thanks to FP+. Because they are on and off attractions quicker, get whatever attraction they wanted, they go home after an hour or two in the parks.

TP2000

From the time he heard about laser removal to his last months, he wanted them gone. ... People can do whatever they want, but it seems en vogue today to just plaster them over your entire body at a young age. And while not all, MANY wind up regretting them just a few years after getting them.

I think tattoos are ugly on about 99.75% of the people who get them. The worst examples are on women over the age of 24. I think if I have to stand in line at the supermarket behind a suburban and boring "hip mom" in her 30's or 40's who has a tattoo that is sagging by the minute, I might throw up. And when that woman inevitably turns 50, no matter how much Botox or facial fillers or Hot Yoga sessions she has invested in, it's just stomach-turning to see tattoos on her sagging and dulling flesh on any part of her body. Any part.

Men don't fair much better as they advance beyond the age of 28 or so, but it's the post-college women who really look especially pathetic, sad and saggy with tattoos.

And then they all desperately try to play it off like it still looks great, or it's just for them and "they don't care" what others think. Those folks are lying, and they are either profoundly stupid or secretly furious with themselves, or both.

Captain Neo

Also, I love that Eisner is just walking out and about like a normal guest enjoying the parks. It's as if he's silently showing up Iger.

Eisner just happened to be there because he was taking his grandkids on a vacation. Iger does visits the parks and is familiar with the attractions and the happenings of each resort.

Eisner is the one who put the current leadership team in place, helped corrode the culture at WDI and Walt Disney Animation, used Tony Baxter as a scapegoat and threw him in a position where he couldn't do anything for decades, propped up losers like Michael Ovitz, Paul Pressler, and Cynthia Harris, etc.

Eisner is the one who ruined Epcot because he felt it wasn't hip enough, he is the one who A-ok'd the wand on SSE, the Vietnam memorial in the front of epcot, and the giant Pin trading Hat in front of the Great Movie Ride. He took control of the Tomorrowland'98 and Disneyland 2nd. gate projects and replaced Disney appropriate concepts with extremely terrible and out-there anti-disney stuff that he then cut the funding for and when the projects came out like garbage he threw his subordinates under the bus and walked away from the mess.

It's Iger who had to clean up Eisner's mess by getting the board to spend $2 billion to salvage DCA, giving away the farm to Steve Jobs to get back into his (and Pixar's) good graces, mending the fence with George Lucas, Attempting to bring back traditional fairy tale stories and hand drawn animation, etc. and he's done an outstanding job of it which is why Disney stocks are soaring to all time highs under Bob Iger.

Has everyone suddenly forgotten about how bad Disney animation was pre-Lasseter? Remember Chicken Little and Home on the range? Remember the nonstop flood of direct to video cheaply made Disney sequels? The state of the parks (where some people actually died because maintenance was being neglected)?

SirLink

Eisner just happened to be there because he was taking his grandkids on a vacation. Iger does visits the parks and is familiar with the attractions and the happenings of each resort.

Eisner is the one who put the current leadership team in place, helped corrode the culture at WDI and Walt Disney Animation, used Tony Baxter as a scapegoat and threw him in a position where he couldn't do anything for decades, propped up losers like Michael Ovitz, Paul Pressler, and Cynthia Harris, etc.

Eisner is the one who ruined Epcot because he felt it wasn't hip enough, he is the one who A-ok'd the wand on SSE, the Vietnam memorial in the front of epcot, and the giant Pin trading Hat in front of the Great Movie Ride. He took control of the Tomorrowland'98 and Disneyland 2nd. gate projects and replaced Disney appropriate concepts with extremely terrible and out-there anti-disney stuff that he then cut the funding for and when the projects came out like garbage he threw his subordinates under the bus and walked away from the mess.

It's Iger who had to clean up Eisner's mess by getting the board to spend $2 billion to salvage DCA, giving away the farm to Steve Jobs to get back into his (and Pixar's) good graces, mending the fence with George Lucas, Attempting to bring back traditional fairy tale stories and hand drawn animation, etc. and he's done an outstanding job of it which is why Disney stocks are soaring to all time highs under Bob Iger.

Has everyone suddenly forgotten about how bad Disney animation was pre-Lasseter? Remember Chicken Little and Home on the range? Remember the nonstop flood of direct to video cheaply made Disney sequels? The state of the parks (where some people actually died because maintenance was being neglected)?

Eh ... I think your attributing decisions made my Heads of division not Eisner. Also Eisner would of had a hand in the DCA improvement plans.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Neither former Disney CEO Michael Eisner or his replacement Bob Iger are Walt Disney:

"Everybody thinks that Disneyland is a goldmine but we have had our problems. You've got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep that park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp-pencil guys tell you, 'Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we'd save a lot of money.' But I don't believe in that. It's like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh."​

It's clear that even while Disney President Frank Wells was alive, he and Eisner were cutting back on the meticulous quality that was so strictly adhered to by the "What Would Walt Do?" disciples. The simple truth is that Wells & Eisner forced out the last remnants of WDW's Old Guard (Bill Sullivan and Bob Mathieson) in the mid-1990s, effectively bringing an end to the Walt & Roy Disney era at WDW.

In a greater sense, Eisner and Iger are alike.

What is different is the degree to which Eisner and Iger listened to those "sharp-pencil guys" Walt Disney railed against.

Eisner might have let those "sharp-pencil guys" influence decisions at WDW. However, Iger has made listening to those "sharp-pencil guys" central to his theme park management philosophy.

If there were quality cuts in the 1990s, I didn't notice them. Heck, even a decade ago when I did start to notice them, they were so minor that I tended to look the other way, still enraptured by Pixie Dust.

Even 5 years ago, after the shine had rubbed off, WDW was by far the best game in town. 5 years ago, comparing WDW and Uni in the same breath would have been unimaginable. Not anymore.

As each year passes and the latest quality reduction becomes the new norm, those running The Show look for more ways to cut corners, to reestablish an even lower standard of Show at WDW.

Unlike Eisner, who believed in constantly investing in new additions at WDW's theme parks (even if we didn't always like the results), Iger clearly has no problem letting WDW stagnant for years if for no other reason than because it's cost effective.

Meanwhile, Iger has been very open about employing a price leveraging strategy at WDW. It's a case of "whatever the market will bear." We all know that MyMagic+ is more of the same, nothing more than one big money grab.

Yet in the end, it's still the same WDW, growing increasingly old and requiring a growing amount of capital in order to bring it back up to something even remotely resembling its former standards.

Iger has led the way on even more quality cuts, theme park stagnation, and much higher prices at WDW.

WDW remained fresh under Eisner.

Under Iger, WDW has grown old.

Everyone has their threshold of pain.

I did not reach my threshold while Eisner was in charge.

I have with Iger.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

Some new trip reports from AP locals say they are spending less time, and money in the parks thanks to FP+. Because they are on and off attractions quicker, get whatever attraction they wanted, they go home after an hour or two in the parks.

That's basically what has happened for us. Funny thing though, when I went to test it for the first time solo I bought a burger and an ice cream. We usually always eat on 192 between park hopping. I think I was just more inclined to eat at the park since it was just me that time. A lot cheaper than lunch for 2.

PirateFrank

Michael is simply asserting his power. The SDL pics were quite powerful because that resort would never have happened without him, yet Bob wants all the credit for opening China's mainland when he in fact almost blew a decade's worth of negotiations and needed an epic economic crisis to get the Central Government in Beijing to sign a deal with Disney. ... Disney still hasn't put out one photo of Iger at SDL, which shows weakness with Iger and Disney and shows the Chinese are in control. It isn't easy to explain, but I've lived and worked there multiple times and Bob Iger being afraid of his overlords would be the best way of describing things. He doesn't want to do anything that would upset the government because they view the resort as theirs, not Disney's.

Michael has no such concerns.

And, to be clear, I am not implying anything. I am stating that Michael is toying with the folks who run the company because he doesn't like the idea of a Disney future under Rasulo or Staggs. I think you've only seen the first few salvos of what may be a fun social media campaign.

Also, let's be crystal clear again: Eisner doesn't want to return to Disney (he might take a Board seat, but that would never be offered) ... that is not what this is about. This is political. This is agenda driven. This is sorta like why I am here typing and making fanbois cry into their plush.

@WDW1974 , Thanks for this great explanation! It clears up a lot!

It's also insightful - as I've never noticed the deference Iger is giving the Chinese, until you pointed this out....and once you pointed it out, it *screams* weakness.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to think the one guy most aptly equipped to clear house and fix this company, is Eisner.

Too bad he still has enemies on the board and in management.

Funmeister

Wow!!! Where has my night gone? This is a fun discussion, but I had no idea how much ...

I get your point above, but I am not talking of media events. I am talking about you being at DAK Sunday and seeing Bob and family on KS or Dinosaur or enjoying a nice BBQ meal at Flame Tree. Just sampling the product and enjoying it ... you never see that.

Al Lutz used to take Jay Rasulo to task for his contempt for his own product. Well, my question is: how is Bob Iger any different?

Can you see Bob Iger UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES having breakfast at the Cape May Cafe?

Or having an ice cream with Willow at EPCOT's France pavilion with no security detail?

AHHH...I see what you mean. Kind of like "organic" appearances. You are correct there. I remember standing next to Judson and Michael at various attraction openings. Not for speeches but because they wanted to see how it was going and experience it for themselves. I know some are split on Judson but I liked his work.

bcoachable

I think tattoos are ugly on about 99.75% of the people who get them. The worst examples are on women over the age of 24. I think if I have to stand in line at the supermarket behind a suburban and boring "hip mom" in her 30's or 40's who has a tattoo that is sagging by the minute, I might throw up. And when that woman inevitably turns 50, no matter how much Botox or facial fillers or Hot Yoga sessions she has invested in, it's just stomach-turning to see tattoos on her sagging and dulling flesh on any part of her body. Any part.

Men don't fair much better as they advance beyond the age of 28 or so, but it's the post-college women who really look especially pathetic, sad and saggy with tattoos.

And then they all desperately try to play it off like it still looks great, or it's just for them and "they don't care" what others think. Those folks are lying, and they are either profoundly stupid or secretly furious with themselves, or both.

I think Tats are on the way out…
Here is my case…
I went to visit my grandparents in "The Villages", and saw more than one brand new tat on some of the residents. Once word gets out grandma thinks there cool, the kiddos will stop getting them… :)

Nemo14

Wow!!! Where has my night gone? This is a fun discussion, but I had no idea how much ...

I get your point above, but I am not talking of media events. I am talking about you being at DAK Sunday and seeing Bob and family on KS or Dinosaur or enjoying a nice BBQ meal at Flame Tree. Just sampling the product and enjoying it ... you never see that.

Al Lutz used to take Jay Rasulo to task for his contempt for his own product. Well, my question is: how is Bob Iger any different?

Can you see Bob Iger UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES having breakfast at the Cape May Cafe?

Or having an ice cream with Willow at EPCOT's France pavilion with no security detail?

Do you really think he even knows where the Cape May Cafe is?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The monorail is the biggest thing they push for those resorts though and the monorails are iconic to WDW. It would create a lot of ill will.

The point is they don't CARE about the ill will generated, If WDW is more profitable without the monorail this crew will find an excuse to discontinue its operation. Train control upgrades notwithstanding a 'incompatibility' will be found with the trains. There will be the token lawsuit etc etc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom