The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Captain Neo

Eh ... I think your attributing decisions made my Heads of division not Eisner. Also Eisner would of had a hand in the DCA improvement plans.

You are correct that many bad decisions were made by department heads but it's well documented that Eisner was very involved with park decisisons. Eisner was a well known micro manager who would even want to get his opinion in when it came down to things like the color of curtains in resort rooms. He changed Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah River Run's name to Splash Mountain because he wanted it to serve as an advertisement to the then in production Splash Movie with Darryl Hannah. He even got in the middle of the plans for Star Tours and and told Baxter it would be smarter to call the ride Star Ride since it would be easier for guests to understand what it is.

I also hold Eisner completely responsible for the destruction of Epcot Center. He was first in line to say that Epcot's philosophy was boring and not hip enough and was very keen to demolish expensive lavishly themed attractions like World of Motion and Horizons and replace them with bare bone thrill rides like Test Track and Mission Space. Tomorrowland 1998 at Disneyland is on his head as well. Baxter's team had been working on other designs and Eisner stuck his nose in and told them to drop everything and focus on how he viewed the future.

Concerning DCA, Eisner did not have a hand in the improvement plans. Several projects including Cars Land were in bluesky and other projects were pitched but Eisner was completely in denials about DCA's problems. At best a watered down version of just Radiator Springs Racers would have been approved by Eisner and it wouldn't have opened in 2012 it would be opening this year instead. Just like we saw with the "quick fixes" shortly after opening off the shelf carnival rides themed to A Bug's Life and a barebones clone of Tower of Terror. It was close to two years after Eisner left that the improvement plans were finalized and approved.

FrankLapidus

Pixar has gone downhill with their last 3 movies (dunno where that blame lies or if they can buck that trend).

Pixar previewed their next film, Peter Docter's Inside Out at CinemaCon in Las Vegas this week and the buzz online is that it looks amazing, a very original concept that is executed brilliantly. I think Pete Docter is the best of a very talented bunch at Pixar and that this film could/should see a return to the mid-to-late-2000's quality.

Brilliant post overall, I just picked out this bit because Inside Out has been generating some buzz this week.

lazyboy97o

You are correct that many bad decisions were made by department heads but it's well documented that Eisner was very involved with park decisisons. Eisner was a well known micro manager who would even want to get his opinion in when it came down to things like the color of curtains in resort rooms. He changed Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah River Run's name to Splash Mountain because he wanted it to serve as an advertisement to the then in production Splash Movie with Darryl Hannah. He even got in the middle of the plans for Star Tours and and told Baxter it would be smarter to call the ride Star Ride since it would be easier for guests to understand what it is.
Splash was released in 1984, the year Eisner joined the company. Splash Mountain was approved in 1986 after a successful theatrical rerelease of Song of the South.

tissandtully

With laser cutting technology I think TDO could double the number of servings from a pound of bacon, as well as reduce the cooking time by half, Imagine the Magical per portion energy savings, And this could be accomplished with only a 100% percent price increase. A Triple Double if you will

Imagine the Fanboi's gushing that Disney cuts bacon with a Frikken Laser...

Pretty sure they already do this on DCL! That was my least favorite part of the cruise, the freakin bacon was awful. But seriously, that was the ONLY thing, still worth it!

Crafty

Last week a MK cast friend was backstage and counted 68 benches stored outside along the canal by the parade float storage barns. Some were green and some were white benches that used to be in the park. They appeared to her to be in good repair and suitable for the park. Maybe since the trees are mostly gone WDW may have decided people would not want to sit on a bench in the sun. [sarc}

I think that the poster who said that Disney doesn't want people sitting for free when they could be paying to sit down was correct. Sitting people are not actively shopping either.

I believe that these ridiculous attempts to wring a few extra dollars from people who are already paying thousands will negatively impact return rates. The saying 'penny wise and pound foolish' seems to fit the bill.

ParkMan73

I recall a story in which Eisner dismissed the idea that Iger could or would ever replace him. When asked about the idea leaving Disney, Eisner responded with, "Who would run the company? BOB!?!" Like that was the most absurd suggestion anyone could ever make.

Well, I suppose there are a lot of folks around here that would agree with him on that one :)

ParkMan73

I think that the poster who said that Disney doesn't want people sitting for free when they could be paying to sit down was correct. Sitting people are not actively shopping either.

I believe that these ridiculous attempts to wring a few extra dollars from people who are already paying thousands will negatively impact return rates. The saying 'penny wise and pound foolish' seems to fit the bill.
I seem to recall that there are still benches in Epcot. I remember sitting on quite a few last spring waiting for the kids to finish rides.

Could it have been a capacity issue in the MK?

Soarin' Over Pgh

I seem to recall that there are still benches in Epcot. I remember sitting on quite a few last spring waiting for the kids to finish rides.

Could it have been a capacity issue in the MK?

Really? Because last May I was one of "those people" who sat on the fountain so I wouldn't pass out from heat exhaustion/not enough water intake/skipping breakfast (and yes, lesson learned) due to lack of available, easily accessible benches. The ones that were there had already been taken up by other families. It wasn't a busy morning, either.

ParkMan73

Really? Because last May I was one of "those people" who sat on the fountain so I wouldn't pass out from heat exhaustion/not enough water intake/skipping breakfast (and yes, lesson learned) due to lack of available, easily accessible benches. The ones that were there had already been taken up by other families. It wasn't a busy morning, either.

Not defending them - just wondering.

We were sitting out in that area between Energy & Test Track. Thinking about it more, I want to say I also remember benches around the World Showcase. Seems like I was eyeing one around fireworks time. Perhaps my memory is foggy.

With Epcot at 11M visitors and the MK at 17M with less space, made me just wonder if they removed them to make it easier to get the crowds through. I'm probably giving them too much credit.

asianway

Not defending them - just wondering.

We were sitting out in that area between Energy & Test Track. Thinking about it more, I want to say I also remember benches around the World Showcase. Seems like I was eyeing one around fireworks time. Perhaps my memory is foggy.

With Epcot at 11M visitors and the MK at 17M with less space, made me just wonder if they removed them to make it easier to get the crowds through. I'm probably giving them too much credit.
MK is the biggest culprit but I've also noticed removal at the other parks. To your last point, efficiency should never come at the expense of courtesy

Cesar R M

Pixar previewed their next film, Peter Docter's Inside Out at CinemaCon in Las Vegas this week and the buzz online is that it looks amazing, a very original concept that is executed brilliantly. I think Pete Docter is the best of a very talented bunch at Pixar and that this film could/should see a return to the mid-to-late-2000's quality.

Brilliant post overall, I just picked out this bit because Inside Out has been generating some buzz this week.
good to know there are good movies coming from Pixar.
I'm currently angry, nauseated and ready to punch michael bay for the terrible trailer of the turd TMNT movie.
Everything smells like transformers except replacing the main autobots with the turtles.

I AM an evil mastermind - Someday I'll send you an invite to my secret lair under an extinct volcano and we can plot the subjugation of the planet.

I'm in !
I hope I do not have to paint myself yellow or do the IGOR type minion... ;)

not efficiency, safety. you cannot move 17m people through the hub SAFELY with all the clutter(you know trees, shrubs, trashcans and benches)

They should invent extendible or replaceable chairs and benches. That can be removed easily or stored below the floor when its time for Wishes, the closure of the parks or during the parades.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Fun last night here. Spent too much time, but enjoyed it a lot.

One point that I left out, and forgive me if someone noted it in the last four pages that I haven't read yet, but Bob Iger is a father. You guys/gals do know that, right?

He has FOUR children, two adults from his first marriage, two younger kids (perfect Disney Parks age) from his trophy wife, Willow. Yet, where are they? You never see them at the parks or even with Johnny Depp at a Disney tentpole premiere.

They are never seen with him at anything relating to the WDC.

Again, ask yourself why.

When Michael ran Disney, his annual letter to shareholders always talked about his kids (everything from hockey games to applying to colleges). You would never know that Bob is even a parent. And, yes, that is intentional.

***Spirited aside for anger and rants about current real world events*** (in other words, you may want to skip ahead)

Oh, and this one in 68 boys in the USA are autistic now? I find it to be total BS. Quirky, unique children are being labeled autistic these days because it's such a chic condition, apparently.

And let's not talk about the landslide in Washington state, that likely killed a few hundred people, had to do with logging above the town.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A note I received from an entertainment business insider and friend this morning regarding another way to look at Disney, then and now:

<<$1.9 Billion -- DIS market cap in 1984

$59 Billion -- DIS market cap in 2005 (Q1)

$137 Billion -- DIS market cap today.

Now, who grew DIS? Who grew DIS better? Smarter?

Under Michael Eisner's stewardship, DIS saw its value grow by more than THIRTY times. Under Robert Iger, DIS saw its market cap do little more than double.

Yeah, I get that it is a big number. 137. These are all big numbers. And, yeah, the growth under Eisner was not sustainable. But...

Who was the more effective executive? Who did more for DIS? Who did more for Wall Street?

...weird how folks keep banging on that drum of 'the Iger premium' because -- from my standpoint -- why would there ever be one? By comparison on just the numbers, is he not an abject failure? Or, was Eisner just that remarkable?

I am going with neither of those. Just illustrating a stunning fact using stunning numbers. To all who hail DIS as being a well-run company under a top notch chief executive, I ask for an explanation. (Oh, I know of the quarter to quarter 'magic'...I am looking for something of actual substance.) The Wall Streeter in me does not see it. Not at all. That, and the Street really does believe that at that valuation of $137 billion there is an "Iger Premium" meaning it is an inflated number based on a questionable and soon to be departing intangible...>>

WDW1974

Original Poster
I honestly don't know how the resort would function without them.

Besides, what perk could they possibly replace it with to justify the insane prices at the Grand, Poly, and Contemporary demand?

I have no idea, but their bus and ferry expansion speaks volumes ... as does the fact the monorail fleet is literally falling apart and is well past a 'replace by' date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom