The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Fun With Social Media:

So, you are TWDC. You love social media. You own it having talents like Dr. Blondie, Crazy Gary, Bland Tommy and Scary Steven Tweeting during their bowel movements.

But when Michael Eisner is in town and tweets pics of himself and his grands with Disney foamheads, you just can't retweet that.

Yep. No messages there at all.

RSoxNo1

Bull$hit, with all due respect Neo.

Leaving out any personal experiences I have with the man, his history with ABC, Paramount and TWDC speaks for itself. And it's almost all very good.

Yes, his last 5-6 years were filled with plenty of bad, but not all. He overstayed at the worst possible time. It happens.

He's been gone for almost a decade. To say the state of P&R today has anything to do with him is as laughable as saying the current state of Paramount is due to Michael.

Bob Iger has had years to put his stamp on the parks. And he has. If you don't like them, then your issue is with him and the execs he employs.

I think I'll go blame Don Shula for the current state of the Miami Dolphins by your logic!
Since Bob Iger took over, the ride count he was responsible for at Walt Disney World has increased by 2 (soon to be 3):
The Seas with Nemo and Friends - opened in 2007
Toy Story Mania - opened in 2008
Snow White's Scary Adventures - closed 2012
Journey of the Little Mermaid - opened 2012
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - opening 2014

Lee

Adventurer
Was that a joke about my ego ... my weight ... my fanboi minions???

Because Lee and DD were given the specs required for my Spirited Guest Suite in the Hills. I am sure all will be as I requested!
Yeah...coulda been a shot at your ego. That would be fair.;)

Actually, I'm certain that our fine Mancunian friend was referring to the very real possibility that my residence will one day be the preferred rest and relaxation spot for all manner of "fanboy" royalty who seek respite from the hectic pace of Orlando.

Lovely scenery (sort of), great food (best BBQ in the world only an hour away), half a day drive to the very pleasant Dollywood (or a Six-Flags), and of course....our hospitality. What's not to love?

I think I'll have some towels and shampoo made...:cool:

Last edited:

jt04

(I'm glad I'm not the one who wonders this...)

Once they are only accessible if you have a magical wrist band they can return them to their original glory. Assuming that may be a possibility. Otherwise, I have my doubts. Also they would need another MK resort. Then the monorail could be great again.

Stevek

a grand for just 2 days? o_O

That shouldn't be too hard to believe. That does not mean we would have spent $500 per day for the whole trip. We bought about $500 worth of souveniers for us, my 2 daughters and a couple of other family members & friends which ordinarily would have been spread out across the entire trip. Then $100+ for Narcoossee's anniversary dinner, random other meals, lots of adult beverages in Epcot and wala...it adds up quickly. Not a bad deal overall as our whole vacation between 4 days at Atlantis and 3 days at WDW cost us a grand total of $2K...my company picked up all of our airfare and 99% of the costs of Atlantis. That being said, I think I would have enjoyed another 3 days at Atlantis versus 3 days at WDW...what a fantastic (but gigantic) resort.

Stevek

I actually saw Michael Eisner once at CBR. I was impressed that he would be there, because at the time it was the cheapest Disney hotel.

We stayed there Sat - Monday and I was a bit disappointed by it. Terrible bus service and standard motel rooms. We only picked it because we had a month to plan our trip and it was the only place with a King available. It's not terrible but I'd rather try either of the Port Orleans resorts or even Coronado Springs if we ever go back...which is questionable at best.

lazyboy97o

Cultures do shift overnight. Look at the differnce pre-Eisner to post-Eisner. Are you saying that the end of Eisners run were ditated by his early years with the company? If so...I cannot disagree more. Sorry.
Yes they were. The massive growth became an everlasting expectation and fostered the atmosphere of deeply cutting costs to generate growth that we continue to see today. The success of smaller films grew into the greater demand for triples and home runs that lead to the tent pole only strategy now in place. Things were able to start spiraling out of control in 1994 because of existing, underlying stresses.

Except anyone who truly understands history knows that Michael didn't feel that Bob could handle the job and didn't want him to have it ... he really had no say in the matter by the time things went down.

Michael never thought a whole lot of Bob at all, even his ABC work ...
Part of Eisner's problem in those later years is that he was not thinking very highly of many people. Even outside of Iger, Staggs and Rasulo were able to rise to prominence because of the rise of Strategic Planning.

FrankLapidus

We stayed there Sat - Monday and I was a bit disappointed by it. Terrible bus service and standard motel rooms. We only picked it because we had a month to plan our trip and it was the only place with a King available. It's not terrible but I'd rather try either of the Port Orleans resorts or even Coronado Springs if we ever go back...which is questionable at best.

If you decide to go back I would highly recommend French Quarter, we've stayed there four times and absolutely love the place.

orky8

FP+ looks like something that truly could be perfect for me. I think it isn't a secret that I have very little use for the MK of the 21st century. Or TPFKaTD-MGMS. Only slightly more for EPCOT and DAK because simply walking around in beautiful surroundings works for me.

But thanks to FP+, I can totally game the system (just like I have always been able to). I can book three attractions that I have some interest in, stop into the MK for the 3-4 hours it is worth, ride and leave to go elsewhere ... all without dropping a single penny at the park unless I am generous and buy an ice cream. Do I need this? No. Do I want this system? No. But is it going to help Disney's bottom line where I am considered? Not at all ... again, this begs the question of how this system is going to make the billions it cost back, let alone result in ANY appreciable and direct increase in revenues let alone the 11% figure that was cited in internal Disney docs.
Didn't they have similar projections for fastpass? That people would spend all that extra time in shops or eating?

You can make a spreadsheet show anything. I once made a spreadsheet that showed my wife we could save money by buying me a new car. I got the car, but it should come as no surprise that we didn't actually save money.

Though, I do think FP+ could generate revenue if it was a better perk for onsite guests and especially deluxe/moderates. We make too many comparisons to uni, but this is another thing they seem to have got right. With FP+ disney has complete control over who gets how many FPs - so they should use that, otherwise I really fail to see why they did this...

Soarin' Over Pgh

Respectfully, I'm a little confused. Why does it bother you that she isn't especially interested in the MK? She's not saying they have no interests the "the parks", right? They're going to be staying at WL for 10 days, seem to be planning to visit all the parks (although maybe not HS?), and have FP+s for the rides they really want to ride. Maybe when they actually get there, they'll find the MK more interesting than they remember. If they don't particularly care about that park, perhaps think it's more "for kids" than the other parks, well, that's just their opinion. The "new expansion" of MK didn't do much for me (seems very geared toward children) and I feel like it's taking forever to get the one thing that interests me -- the Mine coaster -- open. In fact, I sort of dislike what they've done, so I'd have shrugged about that as well.

Maybe their vacation plan is to sleep late, stroll through the parks at their own pace, eat nice leisurely meals, play putt-putt golf, swim and sunbathe, check out the other resorts, and go dancing until 2 a.m.

It bothers me that the one park that's fully fleshed out holds little interest to a child less, adult couple with plenty of money to blow.

It also bothers me that the same couple have one ride they like in two of Disneys other parks and don't want to bother using the other FP+ selections on rides they know they're not interested in. One of these parks is notoriously known as a "half day park". Because I see her often, I know she's a yearly pass holder of our local zoo, flower gardens and museums. I have a general idea of what holds her interest.

She didn't even mention DHS.

This is a couple that has been to WDW several times previously, and I doubt anything besides the fleeting "oh, new fantasyland additions" will truly take them by surprise. She has plans on hitting the spa, they have dining reserved for each night both on and off property and I have a feeling several days will be spent at a real beach or another park, making Wilderness Lodge basically their hotel locale. But nothing is locking them or holding them to WDW for the entire time they are in town.

FrankLapidus

And a true leader, one with vision and the cajones for the job would have come in and immediately put his stamp on the position.

Some might say he did by almost immediately buying Pixar. That set the tone (although I absolutely believe it was the right move to make) for his entire tenure.

The Pixar deal made me very hopeful that Iger was the right man, I'd had my doubts when he got the job but that deal made me think he had the right ideas to get the company back on track. Animation is the one thing I think he's got right, the rest of his tenure has me looking forward to the day he's gone but dreading it in equal measure because of the prospect that Staggs or Rasulo might get the job.

crispy

Yeah...coulda been a shot at your ego. That would be fair.;)

Actually, I'm certain that our fine Mancunian friend was referring to the very real possibility that my residence will one day be the preferred rest and relaxation spot for all manor of "fanboy" royalty who seek respite from the hectic pace of Orlando.

Lovely scenery (sort of), great food (best BBQ in the world only an hour away), half a day drive to the very pleasant Dollywood (or a Six-Flags), and of course....our hospitality. What's not to love?

I think I'll have some towels and shampoo made...:cool:

We must live pretty close to each other. We aren't really going to become a fanboi haven, right? RIGHT!!????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom