The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Funmeister

Yes they were. The massive growth became an everlasting expectation and fostered the atmosphere of deeply cutting costs to generate growth that we continue to see today. The success of smaller films grew into the greater demand for triples and home runs that lead to the tent pole only strategy now in place. Things were able to start spiraling out of control in 1994 because of existing, underlying stresses.

Part of Eisner's problem in those later years is that he was not thinking very highly of many people. Even outside of Iger, Staggs and Rasulo were able to rise to prominence because of the rise of Strategic Planning.

Sorry...no. In the early years Eisner was infamous for his public support of the 20/20 growth model. What you are saying is he built it up to cut it down? Makes no sense. DId you ever think that the market and world events had something to do with some of the cuts? This is all I will post about this topic. It is clear you are not familiar with how things really were during the Eisner tenure and I feel I am wasting my time. Good luck.

tirian

I am sure that was it. Michael isn't going to ignore someone in the parks ... he's older, he's in a loud place, and he's having overpriced ice cream with Jane.

Michael loved visiting the parks during his early years, before his face became too popular and before the management teams would host and push him into seeing what they wanted him to see and not seeing what they didn't want him to see.

Just ask, how many times have you see Bob and Willow out enjoying the parks?

That one answer speaks for all you need to know about Disney's leader.

@WDW1974 :

I agree that Eisner was generally better for the company than the management that began in 2005. But in your opinion, what made Eisner go off the deep end in the late 90s into the 2000s? What initiated the cheap-quels, the rise of Strategic Planning, DCA v. 1.0, and the eventual dumbing down of the American parks? In his final days, many big-league players refused to work with him. His early track record was stunning; is he an example of a successful man who believed his own press?

PirateFrank

The second I can say NEVER, EVER, EVER ... no way, no how ...

Ok, then why is he taking disney selfies in shanghai and touring epcot for all to see? You're implying that he's looking to re-inject himself somehow, but he wont challenge rasulo and staggs if the opportunity prsents?
Color me confused, '74!

And im not being argumentative(sorry if it sounds that way), just literally confused as to what Mikey is up to.

PeterAlt

Ok, then why is he taking disney selfies in shanghai and touring epcot for all to see? You're implying that he's looking to re-inject himself somehow, but he wont challenge rasulo and staggs if the opportunity prsents?
Color me confused, '74!

And im not being argumentative(sorry if it sounds that way), just literally confused as to what Mikey is up to.
Wow... When I'm quiet about things, others step in and say what I would have posted... Maybe more eloquently than what I would have said... But this is exactly what I wanted to say!

StageFrenzy

One of the things that I will always remember about Eisner is his appearances on the Disney specials and the Wonderful World of Disney. I know some people didn’t like that he appeared front and center like Walt did, but I thought it allowed him to connect with the gp and show a little personality. I’m surprised with his background and love of green screen that ‘ole bob hasn’t tried to be a little more front and center. Going forward I’d like that to be a requirement in a future Disney CEO.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I know. If I copied it, that would have been plagiarism and wouldn't reflect my excitement...

You're linking to an article. Getting the title correct isn't plagiarism. However when I changed a title to "Game of Fancy King Chairs" Bantam books still came after me because I kept all the other words the same (well, I did change Eddard to Edward but apparently that wasn't enough).

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
One of the things that I will always remember about Eisner is his appearances on the Disney specials and the Wonderful World of Disney. I know some people didn’t like that he appeared front and center like Walt did, but I thought it allowed him to connect with the gp and show a little personality. I’m surprised with his background and love of green screen that ‘ole bob hasn’t tried to be a little more front and center. Going forward I’d like that to be a requirement in a future Disney CEO.

Not bad. I think that a requirement for the CEO should be an innate understanding of how having the most visited vacation spot on the planet earth reeking of quality impacted the company in positive ways that were both quantifiable and intangible.

PeterAlt

@WDW1974 :

I agree that Eisner was generally better for the company than the management that began in 2005. But in your opinion, what made Eisner go off the deep end in the late 90s into the 2000s? What initiated the cheap-quels, the rise of Strategic Planning, DCA v. 1.0, and the eventual dumbing down of the American parks? In his final days, many big-league players refused to work with him. His early track record was stunning; is he an example of a successful man who believed his own press?
It was (a) EuroDisneyland on the verge of bankruptcy, (b) the loss of Frank Wells, (c) his heart attack that lead to quadrupole heart bypass surgery, (d) the Michael Ovitz fiasco... I'm sure I'm forgetting other things... But, that's why.

tirian

It was (a) EuroDisneyland on the verge of bankruptcy, (b) the loss of Frank Wells, (c) his heart attack that lead to quadrupole heart bypass surgery, (d) the Michael Ovitz fiasco... I'm sure I'm forgetting other things... But, that's why.

Trust me, Peter, I know about those. I've been in this business a long time. ;)

I'm wondering if there's anything else on a more personal level.

PeterAlt

You're linking to an article. Getting the title correct isn't plagiarism. However when I changed a title to "Game of Fancy King Chairs" Bantam books still came after me because I kept all the other words the same (well, I did change Eddard to Edward but apparently that wasn't enough).
I haven't even read it yet. I saw it and wanted to be first to post it. The exclamation mark is just me being excited that I found the article.

PeterAlt

Trust me, Peter, I know about those. I've been in this business a long time. ;)

I'm wondering if there's anything else on a more personal level.
Unless, some of the big stock holders came down on him hard...

It was around that same time period that he stopped talking to Roy Disney and his personal relationship with him turned sour.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the big shareholders privately demanding their respective agendas on him....

PeterAlt

Yes they were. The massive growth became an everlasting expectation and fostered the atmosphere of deeply cutting costs to generate growth that we continue to see today. The success of smaller films grew into the greater demand for triples and home runs that lead to the tent pole only strategy now in place. Things were able to start spiraling out of control in 1994 because of existing, underlying stresses.

Part of Eisner's problem in those later years is that he was not thinking very highly of many people. Even outside of Iger, Staggs and Rasulo were able to rise to prominence because of the rise of Strategic Planning.
What was his problem with Katzenberg? That's one of the biggest things I don't understand about what he did under his management. He must have had no problem with him when he asked him to come with him over to Disney from Paramount...

PeterAlt

@WDW1974 :

Actually, the more I think about it, DCA 1.0 really was a great design for what they got out of it. They got so much bang for the buck, that it really was impressively clever. What has the money on 2.0 gotten? A new great land with a great E-ticket, several okay C and D tickets, and a facelift for near the cost of the initial investment. 1.0 built hotels, Downtown Disney, a barebones theme park that had a great E ticket, and a parking garage. I'd say they did pretty good!

WDW1974

Original Poster

Not sure what opinion you are seeking. ... If you are asking if the area looks good, then I'd say largely it does although it suffers from the typical MK problem of the last 15 years -- too much open dead space.

I like what was built in terms of improving the aesthetics of the area. But substance is what counts and I don't see much there. I also really do not like Storybook Circus at all. It is just the latest version of all the temp lands that were there before.

WDI never left, but too many with too much talent were forced out. What you are left with are the Irvines, Jacobsons and Fitzgeralds etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah...coulda been a shot at your ego. That would be fair.;)

Actually, I'm certain that our fine Mancunian friend was referring to the very real possibility that my residence will one day be the preferred rest and relaxation spot for all manor of "fanboy" royalty who seek respite from the hectic pace of Orlando.

Lovely scenery (sort of), great food (best BBQ in the world only an hour away), half a day drive to the very pleasant Dollywood (or a Six-Flags), and of course....our hospitality. What's not to love?

I think I'll have some towels and shampoo made...:cool:

Looking forward to my first stay quite a bit! Can we go buy some guns to protect ourselves from the government?!

aladdin2007

Not sure what opinion you are seeking. ... If you are asking if the area looks good, then I'd say largely it does although it suffers from the typical MK problem of the last 15 years -- too much open dead space.

I like what was built in terms of improving the aesthetics of the area. But substance is what counts and I don't see much there. I also really do not like Storybook Circus at all. It is just the latest version of all the temp lands that were there before.

WDI never left, but too many with too much talent were forced out. What you are left with are the Irvines, Jacobsons and Fitzgeralds etc.

These two especially along with Vaughn,,,,let me just roll my eyes now before bed.

Crafty

If you are sitting, then you are not spending. ... Unless you weigh 500 pounds and are on top of an ECV.

This is another example of the short versus long term approach to wringing money out of people.

Scenario 1: the grandparents have a wonderful time at WDW with the grand kids. They buy souvenirs, go to character meals, stay on world and plan another trip for the grandkid's birthday next year. They conserve their energy by sitting on benches while the grandkids ride.

Scenario 2: the grandparents are exhausted by their trip to WDW. They are on their feet too much. They decide that they are too old for WDW and take the grandkid's to the beach next year. And the year after.

In Scenario 2, Disney managed to extract the cost of a couple of extra drinks from the grandparents so they could sit and rest. Disney also lost the spending on perhaps five years of additional vacations. I would put in benches. Does no one at Disney think beyond the next ten minutes?

No wonder there are so many empty hotel rooms.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom