The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

COProgressFan

NextGen also included the queue projects at The Haunted Mansion and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Despite its lack of implementation, the cost of design for Peter Pan's Flight is probably there as well plus the new bathrooms that opened up that space. Training thousands of employees are part of the cost. Not to mention all of the meetings, and Disney LOVES meetings.

And not just meetings, but meetings with catered food (and booze!) for exec and manager types.

Funny, because even on major holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, regular CM events for those working that day have become "potluck" depending on where you work.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hmpf. During D23's Destination D there will be a mock Adventurers Club. Yeah, likely there will be plenty of
yee-haw'ing praising D23 for letting the D23'ers have a taste of the Adventurers Club back, but why pick at that scab?

The Fan community of the Adventurers Club is still bitter over the shuttering of the Adventurers Club along with the chopping of other beloved Entertainment, contract CMs including the evening entertainer Elliott from the Scats Cat Club at POFC. Dear 'ole Bob at Roosters must be able to see his future clearly too. Chopping popular entertainers despite fans devotion and spending habits isn't likely to change nor do fans see it coming, it wasn't long ago that one of the Off Kilter members was suddenly replaced.

So why Disney pick at the scab and bring in a Mock Adventurers Club to the Contemporary Resort for Destination D? Poor Judgement, again.

Kuzcotopia

They should be the focus because they have something that a lot of families, especially ones with small children, don't have much of: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And then there's the hotel factor. Why settle for selling those travelling with no kids on AoA if you can sell them on Wilderness Lodge instead?

I'd also add that adults without kids aren't stupid either. Just because they have more money doesn't mean they're going to throw it away. What is offered to adults has to have value to them.

A nice couple staying at WL and visiting Epcot to "drink around the world" is one thing. . ., but when it costs as much (or more) than actually TRAVELLING to Europe or Asia, many adults are going to pass on Disney. That's a no brainier for most who have the means and the freedom to make those choices.

I like Disney, but I would only go without my kids IF the price was actually reasonable. Otherwise, I have to compare it to an overseas trip. I think that's the real reason why Disney has an uphill climb selling to to adults without kids. A new E-ticket "themed to x, based on movie y, with animatronic z" simply can't compare to the rich culture and experiences that can be offered around the world for real.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd also add that adults without kids aren't stupid either. Just because they have more money doesn't mean they're going to throw it away. What is offered to adults has to have value to them.

A nice couple staying at WL and visiting Epcot to "drink around the world" is one thing. . ., but when it costs as much (or more) than actually TRAVELLING to Europe or Asia, many adults are going to pass on Disney. That's a no brainier for most who have the means and the freedom to make those choices.

I like Disney, but I would only go without my kids IF the price was actually reasonable. Otherwise, I have to compare it to an overseas trip. I think that's the real reason why Disney has an uphill climb selling to to adults without kids. A new E-ticket "themed to x, based on movie y, with animatronic z" simply can't compare to the rich culture and experiences that can be offered around the world for real.
I will second this.

The competition for the adult travel market is a lot stronger and a lot more diverse. Not saying WDW shouldn't or doesn't appeal to adults traveling without children, but they aren't going to be as successful in reaching a large chunk of that market no matter what they do. For me personally, if I get a weekend away without my kids WDW wouldn't be high on my list. If I'm getting some time to relax away from the kids I don't want to go somewhere and deal with other people's kids. I want some combination of peace, luxury, good food and booze and some adult oriented entertainment like gambling and live music.

Captain Chaos

Interesting comment. We went without our 14/12 year old daughters this time, only for a couple days, and people were really surprised that we would go without them. We heard this comment from both co-workers and CM's/Guests at WDW.
Please, I get told all the time: YOU ARE 39, WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO SEE MICKEY MOUSE AGAIN.. Well, first, I don't LOL.. I don't go to see Mickey Mouse.. I leave that stuff (character meeting) for the kids... I go cause I enjoy the atmosphere, I enjoy the rides.. Well, at least I used to.. This past October truly bored me... Same thing as two years ago...

Even though I found myself bored the past October, and have no plans to return in the immediate future (welI do, just not to Disney's parks), it irks me to no end when people question why an adult would want to go to Disney... Let them be happy.. Let them spend their hard earned money how they want.. IT IS NO ONE ELSE'S BUSINESS WHERE I GO OR WHY I GO!!!!

Life is too damn short... Freaking enjoy it... and butt out of others' business...
:)

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A Scottish hooker
ford_1821372b.jpg

Where's the Haggis and Scotch?

Animaniac93-98

Has anyone seen any numbers for video sales of Frozen's opening week? Any comparisons to the 'classics' original VHS/DVD releases?

... the usual suspects, @ParentsOf4 @WDW1974 @marni1971

Snow White in 2001 and Bambi in 2005 both sold a million copies in their first day of release. Cinderella sold roughly the same number of copies in its first week of release in 2005. Little Mermaid sold 4 million+ in it's first week in 2006.

Frozen's one-day total is a record according to Blu-ray.com (for a "family title"), whether that's total package media or just blu-rays, I'm not sure.

lazyboy97o

We also don't know how much the project changed in scope. It might have started out simple, but when they realized what could be done with it they could have started to tack on more and more things they wanted it to do.
Ah yes 'Scope Creep' killer of projects and careers.
I am not even sure it was scope creep. If anything, it seems the scope of the project has been scaled back a bit (little has been heard of regarding the interactive queues and interactive attraction scenes). Being that we are set to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of the 1964 - 1965 New York World's Fair, I cannot help but wonder if some people at Walt Disney World saw an opportunity. In The Power Broker, Robert Caro accuses Robert Moses of intentionally underestimating the cost of projects such as parks and highways, knowing that once begun nobody would want to be responsible for killing a half finished project. This is just pure speculation on my part, but it is something that I wonder. Did somebody early on realize that NextGen would be "too big to fail" and thus the prime opportunity to get the Resort's technology infrastructure upgraded?

Redhawk

I was slightly taken back by her statement and the absolute nonchalant way she stated it. But it's true. Her children are grown (she's not a grandparent, though) and the vacation is for her and her husband- who has business meetings nearby a few days prior to the WDW stay.

I tried getting her take on the new expansion of MK but she brushed it off and changed the subject entirely. I didn't want to pursue it. Obviously, the "it's really not for us" was her way of dismissing the park in our conversation.

Respectfully, I'm a little confused. Why does it bother you that she isn't especially interested in the MK? She's not saying they have no interests the "the parks", right? They're going to be staying at WL for 10 days, seem to be planning to visit all the parks (although maybe not HS?), and have FP+s for the rides they really want to ride. Maybe when they actually get there, they'll find the MK more interesting than they remember. If they don't particularly care about that park, perhaps think it's more "for kids" than the other parks, well, that's just their opinion. The "new expansion" of MK didn't do much for me (seems very geared toward children) and I feel like it's taking forever to get the one thing that interests me -- the Mine coaster -- open. In fact, I sort of dislike what they've done, so I'd have shrugged about that as well.

Maybe their vacation plan is to sleep late, stroll through the parks at their own pace, eat nice leisurely meals, play putt-putt golf, swim and sunbathe, check out the other resorts, and go dancing until 2 a.m.

Crafty

(more benches in Epcot, please!)
More benches in all the parks please. They are such a minimal expense and make things so much more comfortable for grandparents and other senior adults. Grandparents used to be a marketing focus for WDW. Not anymore. The focus is on families of four. Disney doesn't seem to realize that it is the grandparents who may be DVC members who are footing the bill for the whole trip.

I don't ride thrill rides anymore, but my family does. A bench is so welcome while I am waiting for them to ride.

Redhawk

I agree that the marketing focus should be on a broad mix: kids who get excited by the ads and beg for a trip, parents who want to make a "magical" vacation for their kids, grandparents, adults of various ages (25 year olds likely will make different plans than 45 year olds) with no kids, Florida residents, etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Wednesday Musings:

So, a little birdie told me that Michael Eisner's little Tweetfest while at WDW also had a behind the scenes motive (shocking!) and one I didn't quite anticipate. Seems Michael still cares about the company and the direction of it and doesn't want either Jay 'Bottom Line' Rasulo or Tom 'Sorry fanbois, I am not into your kind, even if I am pretty' Staggs replacing The Weatherman.

Seriously, look for the volleys to continue both in public ways and in private. MDE isn't going to sit still while two men that worked for him, but don't have the mettle to do his job are being sold to Wall Street (and fanbois) as Bob's replacement. Bob Iger is losing this battle -- remember, Michael tweeting from SDL? -- and he's likely to lose it in the end too.

Again, Michael was afforded no company special benefits on his visit. ... Except that you can be sure he was tailed by some of Iger's goons. They are so damn obvious, a Tommy Bahama shirt with a wire down the shirt up to the earpiece ... like out of some 1980s crime drama. I've had it myself before, so amusing.

Speaking of missing things, has anyone on this site commented about the new Star Wars character meals coming to TPFKaTD-MGMS? Both? Either? Anyone?

So, Willow Bay ... a woman who epitomizes fine journalism ... if you don't know what fine journalism is was just named to head USC's journalism school because ... wait for it ... wait for it ... she married Bob Iger.

How much fire has that new MK dragon been spewing in that amazing new parade?

Splash Mountain reopened recently after its annual closure. Anyone know what was done? How it looks? Anyone?

How about Blizzard Beach? Closed for three months. Was anything done to plus the place? Fix things that needed it?

I know some people don't like to hear what I have to say. I get it. The truth doesn't often wrap you in a warm blanket with that just out of the dryer feeling. More likely it is like stepping into a German shower in January and turning the water all the way to cold (yes, I did this daily ... great way to wake up!)

Can't recall if I mentioned this yet, but look for another WDW DVC to be announced (at least to the Wall Street analysts) before the end of the fiscal year.

I know people love ripping on DLP, especially those who have never been. But looking at pics from their Spring Festival as well as the finishing work on the Ratatouille area looks great.

Micechat has an interesting column up on Despicable Me Minion Mayhem opening soon in Hollywood and featuring an expanded area around it with two food locales, a spinner and a water play area (ICK!!!) that at least has the sense to include changing rooms.

If Paltrow and Martin can't find happiness, then really what hope is there for Disney fanbois and their plush?

Funmeister

Spirited Wednesday Musings:

So, a little birdie told me that Michael Eisner's little Tweetfest while at WDW also had a behind the scenes motive (shocking!) and one I didn't quite anticipate. Seems Michael still cares about the company and the direction of it and doesn't want either Jay 'Bottom Line' Rasulo or Tom 'Sorry fanbois, I am not into your kind, even if I am pretty' Staggs replacing The Weatherman.

Seriously, look for the volleys to continue both in public ways and in private. MDE isn't going to sit still while two men that worked for him, but don't have the mettle to do his job are being sold to Wall Street (and fanbois) as Bob's replacement. Bob Iger is losing this battle -- remember, Michael tweeting from SDL? -- and he's likely to lose it in the end too.

Again, Michael was afforded no company special benefits on his visit. ... Except that you can be sure he was tailed by some of Iger's goons. They are so damn obvious, a Tommy Bahama shirt with a wire down the shirt up to the earpiece ... like out of some 1980s crime drama. I've had it myself before, so amusing.

Speaking of missing things, has anyone on this site commented about the new Star Wars character meals coming to TPFKaTD-MGMS? Both? Either? Anyone?

So, Willow Bay ... a woman who epitomizes fine journalism ... if you don't know what fine journalism is was just named to head USC's journalism school because ... wait for it ... wait for it ... she married Bob Iger.

How much fire has that new MK dragon been spewing in that amazing new parade?

Splash Mountain reopened recently after its annual closure. Anyone know what was done? How it looks? Anyone?

How about Blizzard Beach? Closed for three months. Was anything done to plus the place? Fix things that needed it?

I know some people don't like to hear what I have to say. I get it. The truth doesn't often wrap you in a warm blanket with that just out of the dryer feeling. More likely it is like stepping into a German shower in January and turning the water all the way to cold (yes, I did this daily ... great way to wake up!)

Can't recall if I mentioned this yet, but look for another WDW DVC to be announced (at least to the Wall Street analysts) before the end of the fiscal year.

I know people love ripping on DLP, especially those who have never been. But looking at pics from their Spring Festival as well as the finishing work on the Ratatouille area looks great.

Micechat has an interesting column up on Despicable Me Minion Mayhem opening soon in Hollywood and featuring an expanded area around it with two food locales, a spinner and a water play area (ICK!!!) that at least has the sense to include changing rooms.

If Paltrow and Martin can't find happiness, then really what hope is there for Disney fanbois and their plush?

Is it an EPCOT "Off" Center DVC? Do you think Eisner would ever throw his name in the hat if Skanks and Rosotto are the only two options?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom