The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

StageFrenzy

Quite a ramble, with quite a few 'clarifications'.

I agree with most of it though.

Can’t tell where you are going if you don’t know where you’ve been.* Why do you think so many rides in EPCOT CENTER started with Volcanos, Cavemen and Dinosaurs? Of course you have to look where you are going otherwise you might wind up on the wrong TestTrack.

*which is why @WDW1974 is so afraid of fanboi’s, he doesn’t know where they’ve been.

Last edited:

ureich11

I've been in these forums for years (it took me years to even register). I always liked how I got news and infos about WDW and never saw a reason to actively participate.

But now this forum only saddens me. Is there no hope for WDW? I've been going there for over 30 years, so I guess I am a fanboi. Even though I keep going back I've noticed how things have changed. The US part of my family is a WDW addict and they go there 5 or 6 times a year. And they actually refuse to go anywhere else. So I do understand why Disney doesn't change things. Those people come back anyway.

But Disney can do so much better. TDR is so awesome, especially DisneySea (best park ever). The rides are great (Sinbad, 20.000 leagues, Monsters Inc just to name a few). And if I'm not mistaken their attendance & financial numbers are improving every year. Does WDW not care? WDW, be cheap and just clone those rides for all I care...

But what I would really like to know is, is there hope for WDW? I've seen some good things happen to California and WDW must know that they have to take UNI seriously. Or is there no chance at all, and all we have left are our sweet memories of the good times?

SirLink

Remember when there was a Phase II of DCA's Extreme Makeover Theme Park Edition?

No ... good that's what Iger, Rasulo and Staggs hope.

(P.S.: the reality is that a Phase II was supposed to already be underway and with a budget of close to $1 billion ... how quickly they forget)

That was the one that would of "fixed" the Hollywood portion as well as Condor flats and finish Paradise Pier makeover? right?

ParentsOf4

So I wonder if all the theme parks jump on board when there's a price hike on ticket, will any (Disney) look at this and what their value prices/perks, and lower the prices? Probably not but if they want people to stay on site and spend money, and will be losing people to UNI, eventually maybe the prices will have to come down. They can't keep rising as they have been. People can't afford them and they can't turn every hotel into DVC. I can't imagine them doing it with the values.
Uni is keeping in lockstep with WDW's one-day ticket but that's a special case. No one's going to lower the price of the one-day ticket. There's no need to.

The one-day ticket buyer (and there are a lot of them) arrive at the gate having already paid for parking and pretty much committed to that theme park for that day. They haven't planned ahead (at least not carefully) and nearly always are going to pay the price, whatever the price.

It's the multiday ticket that shows real pricing strategy. Let's consider the hopper ticket.

2-day WDW vs. Uni
$237 vs. $176

3-day WDW vs. Uni
$323 vs. $186

4-day WDW vs. Uni
$354 vs. $196

AP WDW vs. Uni
$634 vs. $280

Step away from the one-day ticket and the two resorts are priced nothing alike.

At WDW, the problem isn't getting guests into Value Resorts. WDW's Value Resorts are crowded. The badly mispriced "value" Family Suites aside, AOA was built because WDW needed it.

Disney's problem is getting guests to pay for WDW's grossly overpriced Deluxe and Moderate Resorts.

DVC is not the answer. In fact, it's one of WDW's long-term financial problems. (But that's for another post.)

The solution to WDW's hotel woes are in the theme parks.

WDW's Deluxe and Moderate Resorts were crowded when the theme parks were exciting and dynamic. They were crowded when those with discriminating tastes and the financial means to be selective with their vacation choices picked WDW because it was the best place to vacation. This is not a "WDW vs. Universal" debate. This is a WDW vs. Hawaii, Atlantis, or Europe debate.

WDW's staleness and reduced quality has not gone unnoticed among a discerning, trendy, jet-set crowd. WDW's status has plummeted among the country club elite.

We love WDW (and hate what's happening to it) because we remember happier times spent over years and even decades. We are devoted to WDW, good or bad.

However, most WDW vacationers don't feel that way. For them, WDW is just that, a vacation.

Among the Honey Boo Boo crowd, a stay in a Value Resort or even offsite is the best vacation they can afford. WDW is attracting them. WDW's theme parks are crowded.

However, as a premium vacation, WDW no longer is the sparking example it once was. WDW no longer is as competitive among big spenders. In the battle for the vacation dollars of the nation's top earners, WDW is losing.

@WDW1974 has written it many times but it's worth repeating. Corporate Disney has Walmarted WDW.

Last edited:

71jason

I disagree. The first few years after the Great Depr ... Recession ... I started seeing some very nice-looking college kids that could no longer travel to exotic locales or even simply out of the USA and came back to Fort Liquordale.

Daytona much the same. Will be dead for years, but when the economy takes a downturn (like in 2002-2003), Spring Breakers suddenly all come back, overwhelming local police who didn't expect it. It's like a genetic memory among college students.

NowInc

I disagree. The first few years after the Great Depr ... Recession ... I started seeing some very nice-looking college kids that could no longer travel to exotic locales or even simply out of the USA and came back to Fort Liquordale.

And I never pay $25+ to park on SoBe. Try the parking garage across from the Fillmore/Jackie Gleason Theater ... there's also a lot that is free at night just north of the Fountainbleau Hotel.

I missed out on all of that...as I went to college here in Lauderdale. Every day was "spring break"...but in 18 years I have been to the beaches maybe 12 times? So I will yield to your better knowledge on the spring break crowds..as last time I "braved" the sands this time of year, I was much much younger...and the patrons were much much larger.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Uni is keeping lockstep with WDW's one-day ticket but that's a special case. No one's going to lower the price of the one-day ticket. There's no need to.

The one-day ticket buyer (and there are a lot of them) arrive at the gate having already paid for parking and pretty much committed to that theme park for that day. They haven't planned ahead (at least not carefully) and nearly always are going to pay the price, whatever the price.

It's the multiday ticket that shows real pricing strategy. Let's consider the hopper ticket.

2-day WDW vs. Uni
$237 vs. $176

3-day WDW vs. Uni
$323 vs. $186

4-day WDW vs. Uni
$354 vs. $196

AP WDW vs. Uni
$634 vs. $280

Step away from the one-day ticket and the two resorts are priced nothing alike.
I agree with pretty much all you posted, but IMO at this point Disney is correct in charging more for multi-day passes. The 2-day park ticket, maybe is inflated in comparison, but once you get to 3/4/5... that is where Disney has cause to charge more. Day 3 at Disney, the guest can visit a new park, new experiences and rides. Day 3 at Uni (currently) you are revisiting one of the 2 you already toured. Day 4 at Disney, still another "new" park. At UNI, you are once again revisiting one of the 2 you have already toured. IMO, that is where Disney is justified in charging more. Now, whether or not there is enough value at each of those parks to justify the extra ticket prices, that is a personal decision for each guest.

ParentsOf4

I agree with pretty much all you posted, but IMO at this point Disney is correct in charging more for multi-day passes. The 2-day park ticket, maybe is inflated in comparison, but once you get to 3/4/5... that is where Disney has cause to charge more. Day 3 at Disney, the guest can visit a new park, new experiences and rides. Day 3 at Uni (currently) you are revisiting one of the 2 you already toured. Day 4 at Disney, still another "new" park. At UNI, you are once again revisiting one of the 2 you have already toured. IMO, that is where Disney is justified in charging more. Now, whether or not there is enough value at each of those parks to justify the extra ticket prices, that is a personal decision for each guest.
I agree with your analysis but note that it's a matter of affordability.

If all I can afford for my family is a 4-day Universal hopper ticket at $196, then that's what I'm going to buy even if it means revisiting the same theme parks more than once.

It doesn't matter if WDW's 4-day ticket offers 4 theme parks if I cannot afford its $354 pre-tax price tag. Multiply that times a family of 4, throw in sales tax, and 4 days at WDW is $673 (81%) more expensive than 4 days at Uni.

Future Guy

74, what r your thoughts on this new dreamfinder/figment comic coming out soon? Do u think if it's popular enough, it could warrant a film or have any influence on a journey ride redo???

None really.

Comics are a niche market. No matter how well the Figment & Dreamfinder comic sells, there's no way it could ever make enough noise to inspire the suits to spend the money on an Imagination refurb. Even if the people in the suits weren't idiots. (Of course, if that were the case then the pavilion wouldn't be in its current deplorable state, but I digress)

Tangled was a successful film, and all it got were some themed toilets. A successful comic book will get you a single Dreamfinder-themed floor tile in the Imagination pavilion Mens' room. Maybe. If the suits are feeling generous.

Funmeister

You may get a "new" third park with Disney but at this point there is almost more to do in Universal's two parks compared to DHS, EPCOT off-Center and DAK combined. If not now...then soon. Also...as DIsney sells "magical memories" and nostalgia are you really getting a "new" park to visit? Sorry...I do not and can not see the justification of the price difference.

Travel Junkie

Michael's a disaster, Flynn. But no one cares. This is his three-year audition to be CFO of TWDC starting in 2016. Simple as that. ... And I am sure he has sat down with DCA VP Mary 'She can't believe she is still with the company either' Niven and plotted out some figure (let's say it's $198,456.98) they can save in labor vs. food service by having it open for breakfast. Who cares that as soon as the park opens everyone head to that section of the park and many want to eat breakfast.

And that refurb schedule is just a disaster ... and will be for the rest of this year and likely into early '15.

But Dusty Sage said Michael is doing a great job. Was this before or after Michael stopped by and spoke at two MiceChat events? Sad to see how far MiceChat has fallen.

Well, it all depends on what you think of Ricky's tastes and opinions.

Many people I respect, some friends who work in the business and were looking forward to this, say the parade is basically a mishmash. Like a bunch of people worked on one float or aspect of the parade without having a clue how it would fit in with the others. One friend referred to it as a 'pick 'em' parade ... as in they went in to see what was in other parades worldwide and picked parts of them to stick in this one.

I haven't seen it in person yet. When I do, then I'll offer an unbiased opinion.

I have the same opinion of NFL as the parade. It is a mishmash.
Each individual element looks good by itself, but all together there is no cohesive theme. The Mermaid façade looks good, but doesn’t blend in with the surroundings at all. The Mine Train Mountain does not look natural at all. By that I mean in a natural environment it doesn’t look like a mountain should be there. If it was part of a range of rolling hills it would blend in better. I haven’t seen the parade in person, but I get that sense as well.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Comics are a niche market. No matter how well the Figment & Dreamfinder comic sells, there's no way it could ever make enough noise to inspire the suits to spend the money on an Imagination refurb. Even if the people in the suits weren't idiots. (Of course, if that were the case then the pavilion wouldn't be in its current deplorable state, but I digress)

Tangled was a successful film, and all it got were some themed toilets. A successful comic book will get you a single Dreamfinder-themed floor tile in the Imagination pavilion Mens' room. Maybe. If the suits are feeling generous.

The psycholopathology of that choice is interesting in the least, It shows the complete contempt by the TWDC executives for the product both on the film and park side. It would be interesting to hear a professional analyst's take on the peculiar choice to commemorate such a popular Disney IP.

This is fratboi humor at its at its best interpretation, at its worst I don't want to think about it...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I agree with your analysis but note that it's a matter of affordability.

If all I can afford for my family is a 4-day Universal hopper ticket at $196, then that's what I'm going to buy even if it means revisiting the same theme parks more than once.

It doesn't matter if WDW's 4-day ticket offers 4 theme parks if I cannot afford its $354 pre-tax price tag. Multiply that times a family of 4, throw in sales tax, and 4 days at WDW is $673 (81%) more expensive than 4 days at Uni.
Very true. If I'm making that value call though, personally (and that is a call I'd actually be very likely to have to make), I'm going to likely go with a combination of the value I get out of the ticket and what I can afford. I'd likely make the call to choose a shorter vacation, or to mix in other things. And it's a personal call. At this moment, my family would not spend 4 days in UNI. We had a hard enough time making a single day at IOA. If I cannot afford Disney for 4 days, I'm not going to spend 4 days at UNI just because. I'll find other options.
BUT, that is me, and my family, and my situation, and I am not at all representative of the world at large. You are correct that it's a big difference, and one that a LOT of people out there might not think through, just see the dollars and cents and make the call. They'll see 4 days at Disney being twice what 4 days at Uni is, and choose UNI. And, they'll likely have a good time as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom