The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Using July 11 as an example (I can't use July 4. WDW has plenty of availability; Universal has none. I wonder why?):

Disney's Grand Floridian: Outer Building - Lagoon View
$690.75/night including tax

Universal's Portofino Bay: Bay View 2 Queen Room
$478.13/night with tax

Plus (and not Disney's fake "+" but a real plus) Universal's stay includes unlimited Express Pass all day long.

I'll gladly put up with some nickel-and-diming to save hundreds of dollars. :)

And yes, I've stayed at both and have an opinion as to which one is better. ;)

Me too. And I bet our opinion is the same. I know which hotel I intend to stay at in the future and which one I won't.

71jason

Halloween in Hell? Well, there is a very well-placed rumour going around that Halloween season will start at WDW in August. Yes, that is insane. Yes, that is desperate. Yes, based upon how laughable it worked out a few years ago when they pulled the same stunt on the Friday of Labor Day Weekend, it is dumb. But TDO is absolutely desperate to make the MM+/NGE numbers anyway they can.

Not to give them ideas for free, but given that a pre-Labor Day MNSSHP was a bit of a flop, why not just schedule an extra night a week beginning in late September? It's a slow enough time of year they could probably get away with four early closings a week (Universal does--five come late October).

Makes that DHS Halloween party seem more and more likely tho--double-dip on the hard core Disney fans, possibly slice off a tiny bit of the HHN/HoS crowd, and milk the local tweens. Both parks closed the same night? EPCOT can handle a big crowd of whoever's left.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Fort Lauderdale hasn't been a "best bods" locale for over a decade..lol. South beach, however? Still doesn't justify the $25+ parking fees.

I disagree. The first few years after the Great Depr ... Recession ... I started seeing some very nice-looking college kids that could no longer travel to exotic locales or even simply out of the USA and came back to Fort Liquordale.

And I never pay $25+ to park on SoBe. Try the parking garage across from the Fillmore/Jackie Gleason Theater ... there's also a lot that is free at night just north of the Fountainbleau Hotel.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, I go there about every year. Together with the Efteling and Europa Park (and Disneyland Paris of course) they are the best European theme parks. Europa Park had really grown the last couple of years, and is now the most visited park in Europe after Disneyland Paris. They also have 5 really elaborately themed resorts, and are now planning a water park.

Europa Park has really good themed lands, like Greece and Iceland. They have great rides too, especially the coasters. And they have a lot of shows. But the dark rides are not that good. They buy their animatronics from an outside company which isn't very good at making animatronics.

Anything you would like to know about Europa Park?

I was just curious as to how many here have been. I have a pair ... no, actually ... three good friends that have been singing its praises for quite a while and it is the park I most want to visit (that I haven't ... I'd still rather go back to TDR!) ... It seems to get quite a lot of praise from those who either have been or are in the business, but I get the feeling that very few others are aware of it.

Considering it is the Mack family's living, breathing showcase of their products for operators the world over, I am not surprised that it is high caliber. I will be seeing it sooner rather than later, I'm sure! :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
To be fair, has there been any proof that its indeed broken and not just turned off? Not that that would be any better...but still.

I could not care less WHY it isn't working, just that it isn't.

There's no excuses, although with Disney I wouldn't be surprised if they planned to use the effect no more than three times:

1.) To film TV spots and internal crap for Aswad's resort deal;
2.) Opening Day;
3.) Private media whorefest.

I can't believe that a company that literally seemed to do no wrong from 1971-1996 can now seemingly do nothing right. It's just amazing in a sad way ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh I agree that the design is a #FAIL from a show perspective, And on this board we all know I am the LEAST likely to cut Disney any slack for ANYTHING but the irresistable force may have hit the immovable object in this case where the final design may not have been cleared with the Fire Marshall and after first performance a firm ixnay was issued.

I've hit that wall before in data center designs, Fire Marshall INSISTED that there be a wet sprinkler in the data center even though there is a Halon (now Innergen) system with two backup systems, At least got the fire marshall to agree to a dry charge system. Just imagine tens of millions worth of IT gear, In close proximity to water filled pipes....

Disney controls Reedy Creek. That was why Old Dead Guy Walt set up a fiefdom in the swamps in the 1960s.

Again, no excuse for this. ... Maybe someone should email Dr. Blondie?

RSoxNo1

There's no excuses, although with Disney I wouldn't be surprised if they planned to use the effect no more than three times:

2.) Opening Day;

I can't believe that a company that literally seemed to do no wrong from 1971-1996 can now seemingly do nothing right. It's just amazing in a sad way ...
Well in their defense it's not like the competition is planning on having a fire breathing dragon available all day any time soon.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 - looks like Michael C is quite busy applying his 'experience' in Orlando to Anaheim... besides the most chaotic refurb schedule in recent memory... suspiciously long fishy nemo refurbs... we can now add the classic TDO trick... 'reducing food offerings'. Reports are that Flos in Carsland will no longer server breakfast and switch to lunch/dinner only.

Michael's a disaster, Flynn. But no one cares. This is his three-year audition to be CFO of TWDC starting in 2016. Simple as that. ... And I am sure he has sat down with DCA VP Mary 'She can't believe she is still with the company either' Niven and plotted out some figure (let's say it's $198,456.98) they can save in labor vs. food service by having it open for breakfast. Who cares that as soon as the park opens everyone head to that section of the park and many want to eat breakfast.

And that refurb schedule is just a disaster ... and will be for the rest of this year and likely into early '15.

TalkingHead

2.) Opening Day;

So it'll be like the new Yeti -- you know, something seen functioning in all the commercials and advertising, but something that doesn't work when you see it in person.

Nothing disingenuous or misleading about that at all.

the.dreamfinder

Iger and the BoD have no interest (none) in Sandberg. There was a reason that was planted in Brooks' story ... much like the same company line that this is a two-horse race between Rasulo and Staggs. If either of them wind up heading the company, kiss any semblance of the company you knew goodbye. And since they'd keep on keeping on with the same bad business practices that has been SOP at Disney since the 90s, you could expect to see assets get sold off as the company tries to stay competitive at all costs. Maybe they'd have to sell Marvel to someone like UNI? :greedy::devilish::D
Save Disney 2?

NearTheEars

A good friend just said that all Fastpasses for Illuminations, Fantasmic, Wishes and the new MK parade are all gone for this weekend. Yep. Welcome to the MAGICal new world of MM+.

I may be mistaken, but did any of those have Fastpass access under the legacy Fastpass system? The only thing, which could be a positive for some, is that there would be more FP available to people for rides since others have them tied up in fireworks.

Unless when you say gone you mean not offered. Then ... move along ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Listening to Inside the Magic, it sounded as though the effect, as originally deployed, had a very long cycle time resulting in a lot of people not seeing the effect.

Ricky also described the parade as "Disneyland quality." I think that little phrase speaks volumes.

Well, it all depends on what you think of Ricky's tastes and opinions.

Many people I respect, some friends who work in the business and were looking forward to this, say the parade is basically a mishmash. Like a bunch of people worked on one float or aspect of the parade without having a clue how it would fit in with the others. One friend referred to it as a 'pick 'em' parade ... as in they went in to see what was in other parades worldwide and picked parts of them to stick in this one.

I haven't seen it in person yet. When I do, then I'll offer an unbiased opinion.

bhg469

Well in their defense it's not like the competition is planning on having a fire breathing dragon available all day any time soon.
When I was in the park that shall not be named... Who am I kidding? Universal!! I think I saw the roof top where it is supposed to appear. You could use your imagination on how big it will be and its just too cool. Even when the yeti worked, it was there for a split second so if it was really detailed And had good motion you would never know. I fully expect this dragon to be awesome.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow that looks pretty impressive. Too bad Busch Gardens Tampa didn't go with heavy theming like that. Because Busch Gardens is a great park and if it had heavier theming it'd be one of my all time favorites.

I think BGT and BGW are wonderful parks. They really don't get their due from Disney fans at all, but in some ways they have a better product.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What do you guys think of Disneys marketing strategy with Captain America 3 going up against Batman vs Superman on the same day in 2016?

Here's the HR story on it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mystery-solved-captain-america-3-688384

I don't really care about either film all that much, although I did enjoy the first CA far more than the fetid crap that was Man of Steel. But I do like Ben Affleck (he was once very nice to me when I needed it!) and am somewhat intrigued by what he could do with the Batman role.

EDIT: BTW, I am sure it drives some fanbois nuts when I drop names of people I know, have known or just met -- like Ben. I don't drop the stuff in to drive them crazy and make them Tweet nasty BS about me. That's just an added benefit of the truth of my Spirited existence. ...

Last edited:

stevehousse

74, what r your thoughts on this new dreamfinder/figment comic coming out soon? Do u think if it's popular enough, it could warrant a film or have any influence on a journey ride redo???

bhg469

Here's the HR story on it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mystery-solved-captain-america-3-688384

I don't really care about either film all that much, although I did enjoy the first CA far more than the fetid crap that was Man of Steel. But I do like Ben Affleck (he was once very nice to me when I needed it!) and am somewhat intrigued by what he could do with the Batman role.
He has the physique and the look that a comic book batman should have. The last trilogy with bale was good but not because of his batman. Affleck will knock this out of the park if the story is good. That is a big IF though. IMO the marvel universe stands up to the screen better than DC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom