The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Phil12

I think Universal has a better shot of leapfrogging those parks than DCA. Carsland gave DCA a big boost, but the numbers seem to be leveling out now. They aren't losing momentum, but not really gaining either. Form the Q1 earnings call:

"Attendance at our domestic parks and occupancy at the hotels were comparable to the first quarter last year, in which we saw increased visitation due to the opening of Cars Land at Disney California Adventure and the grand opening of the Fantasyland expansion at Walt Disney World, the last phase of which we’ll complete in a few months with the launch of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train."

Maybe DL attendance is way down and DCA is way up but assuming that's not the case I don't see it leapfrogging any WDW park (unless it already did in 2013). Universal has a good shot, especially if either or both DHS and AK become big construction sites with slow moving projects and years of construction walls.
You may be on the right track here. Another factor is that the WDW parks do not rely as much on local visitation as do DL and DCA. Local visitors know that DCA has very little to offer in comparison to DL so DCA doesn't get the big numbers characteristic of DL. The leveling out of the DCA visitation that you mentioned may be part of the reason why Soarin' Over the World is such a priority now.

WDW on the other hand has a much higher ratio of international and out of town visitation. Most of these guests are going to want to visit all the WDW parks as well as Universal. Florida tourism is in no danger of decline from DCA. The rising tide of guests will float all boats and all the U.S. Disney parks will gain unless unforeseen events impact travel. :happy:

Californian Elitist

You may be on the right track here. Another factor is that the WDW parks do not rely as much on local visitation as do DL and DCA. Local visitors know that DCA has very little to offer in comparison to DL so DCA doesn't get the big numbers characteristic of DL. The leveling out of the DCA visitation that you mentioned may be part of the reason why Soarin' Over the World is such a priority now.

WDW on the other hand has a much higher ratio of international and out of town visitation. Most of these guests are going to want to visit all the WDW parks as well as Universal. Florida tourism is in no danger of decline from DCA. The rising tide of guests will float all boats and all the U.S. Disney parks will gain unless unforeseen events impact travel. :happy:

Soarin' Over the World, if that's even happening, wouldn't be a priority for a DCA bump in attendance.

CDavid

WDW fans: "I can't believe there won't be a new attraction for 3-4 years"
DLR fans: "I can't believe they are putting in another attraction that doesn't fit the theme."

Well, in fairness, not only does Walt Disney World not get a new attraction for 3 or 4 years (and we really ought to stop and think about that for a minute...), but what we're getting (Avatar) has never been accused of being the best fit thematically either.

Nubs70

...just wanted to quote this so people read it again and realize what it's saying...
The lack of spending by day only visits is why I believe may be at the first stages of implementing the Island Strategy.

What is the Island Strategy? It is a business strategy practiced by exclusive resorts in the Caribbean. If you consider the beach of a Caribbean resort an attraction like the parks at WDW, just as access to the beach requires a room at the hotel, access to the parks will require a room in one of the hotels at WDW. This will fulfill WDW's prime directive of maximizing room occupancy. Increased occupancy will also require additional transportation capacity that will be nicely accommodated by the expanded bus depot at MK.

Will this eliminate single day/off site visitors? Absolutely. The question is can the additional hotel occupancy offset the eliminated single day/off site non hotel income. An additional benefit for WDW is planning for additional rides in respect to hotel room availability. If a ride that processes 10,000 persons per day, then a hotel of roughly 2500 ( or fraction thereof) rooms will be needed to accommodate the ride capacity.

Elimination of off site guests will also free up building space of the huge parking lot at the TTC. Another Deluxe at the intersection of the MK/EC monorail loops? WDW can also proclaim the green benefits of fewer cars onsite and the MAGICal mass transit system.

With the resort becoming the only point of entry to the parks, there would be no need for gates at the parks or for park hopping tickets. WDW could truly become one single park.

Maybe this is just a thought.

FigmentJedi

Well, if it replaces the Muppet Theater, it won't be all bad. Besides, how is Monstropolis any less thematically-correct than Carsland?
Merch possibilities of the franchise aside, Cars Land has the connections to California's Car Culture and Route 66 (even though it's technically set in Arizona). Hell with Route 66 being the main road of Radiator Springs and the side entrance's proximity to Paradise Pier, you got a Santa Monica Pier tie-in right there.

Monstropolis isn't really tied to anything beyond "Durr, is a movie, that's a Hollywood thing". Unless if they wanted to actually try breaking some ground with the setting and do something high-concept like "The monsters that couldn't adapt to comedy work have decided to go to Hollywood and become horror movie stars", it's just the old fashioned "Throw Pixar at the problem until it goes away" excuse that's screwed up Tomorrowland on both coasts.

TinkerBelle8878

It's disgusting what Disney charges. Even less expensive rooms are comparatively priced as above. And what is pathetic on Disney's part, is the the new Cabana Bay will charge less for a SUITE than the regular room at Disney's Value Resorts (using a discount). And this new resort will offer 2 swimming pools, a waterslide, dive tower, lazy river, bowling alley, fitness center, food court & sit-down restaurant. How are Disney's value resorts a value?? Cabana Bay is better than Disney's moderate resorts! Sure you don't get the express pass, but considering the price points and what you do get, you're better off here than off-site, and certainly better than at a Disney resort.

So I wonder if all the theme parks jump on board when there's a price hike on ticket, will any (Disney) look at this and what their value prices/perks, and lower the prices? Probably not but if they want people to stay on site and spend money, and will be losing people to UNI, eventually maybe the prices will have to come down. They can't keep rising as they have been. People can't afford them and they can't turn every hotel into DVC. I can't imagine them doing it with the values.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Thursday Musings:

So, how's that awesome fire-breathing dragon in the MK's first new parade in 13 years look?

Look, I like Jon Cryer -- he's probably one of the most down to Earth guys in Hollywood I have met despite making $11 million a year to tell genital and bodily function jokes -- and I like CBS, by far the best run network, BUT ... renewing Two and a Half Men for another season? Yeah, pass the bong.

For those of you who believe everything the PR mill spins, an interesting column on Anne 'Not a Creative Bone in Her Body' Sweeney's desire to leave ABC: http://variety.com/2014/tv/columns/anne-sweeney-did-the-spin-on-her-disney-exit-backfire-1201130225/ .

Did any of you catch that Bob Iger was supposed to be in China last week? Where exactly are the PR shots? Will someone find me one? Did he visit SDL, like Michael Eisner did?

OK, you want to be a Disney Lifestyler? No, you don't have to travel the world of Disney resorts (although that IS the right way to do it). But you can't claim Twitter legitimacy when your typical year is two weekends at WDW and that is it.

Halloween in Hell? Well, there is a very well-placed rumour going around that Halloween season will start at WDW in August. Yes, that is insane. Yes, that is desperate. Yes, based upon how laughable it worked out a few years ago when they pulled the same stunt on the Friday of Labor Day Weekend, it is dumb. But TDO is absolutely desperate to make the MM+/NGE numbers anyway they can.

A good friend just said that all Fastpasses for Illuminations, Fantasmic, Wishes and the new MK parade are all gone for this weekend. Yep. Welcome to the MAGICal new world of MM+.

What angers me? Well, plenty. What angers me about TV news today? Well, plenty. What has me in the 'I'd Elvis the TV if I were a gun nut' mood is the absolutely horrific, unprofessional and fear-mongering coverage of the missing Malayasian 777-200. You don't have facts at all. So, don't speculate and don't speculate for ratings, and for the interests of the US government and Boeing shareholders. ... No, there is nothing in the world to suggest the crazy theory that some of CNN's most respected 'journalists' were doing in suggesting that this plane was hijacked and landed safely in some secret locale by evildoers who are planning to then use it as a weapon against the USA. This is insanity at its greatest. Yes, CNN is dead. Totally. This is a tragedy and the way it is being reported a travesty.

But you don't want to talk about current events. Or how screwed up our media can be. Nah ... you want Disney news. Only ... well, there just isn't much right now.

At this rate, you fanbois who want to throw decades away will get your wish and we'll be talking about Star Wars coming to TPFKaTD-MGMS in time for WDW's 50th Anniversary.

Cesar R M

Well, without seeing CA 2 yet, and not knowing what CA 3 would be about, and knowing a little about Batman vs Superman (mainly the casting), I know I already prefer to see Captain America 3... IMHO Captain America was the best of the Marvel movies so far INCLUDING The Avengers... I'm hoping Winter Soldier holds up to Captain America: The First Avenger....
IT all depends on the tastes.
For many people, the Captain America was the weakest and Iron man was the best.

If you read Eddie's 500+ page farewell thread,

What was NOT talked about was the most significant and that was TODAYS Disney, He's just one guy against the corporate might of Disney Eddie talked a lot about art and architecture and their evolution over the years and the Eisner years.

Eddie is a class act and he needed to get away from TWDC before his soul died.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...he-parks-part-ii.770938/page-278#post-5783589
that is pretty sad.. I mean being transformed into "the guy with awesome ideas" to the "guy that costs us a lot" for the new suit accountant guys.

EPCOT is the worlds largest outdoor bar and restaurant, All they need now is a 'Tilted Kilt' franchise to make it complete...

Look at the Disney ads all the kids are the under 8 set, no teens or young adults
Thank god I didnt see much people nor drunkers when I went there.

Just wait for the Na'vi Mickey Meet-n-Grope it will be amazing (ly bad)...

speaking of meet and greet.. there is a sure probability that there will be a meet and greet of Navi..
the question is.. how the hell they will do this? Animatronics?
just standing figures like the Cars one?
Normal guys painted blow with prosthetics?

I have said this before, theme park attendance is fabricated 90% of the time. My company often gives our clients attendance reports that are 99% accurate but they report false numbers 100% of the time.
Reminds me of how Apple, Samsung and Microsoft lie regarding their real products sold.
they always count OEM distributions as "We sold something!" even if these oem products stay there wasting dust. (particularly during the Windows Vista and Windows 8 debacles)

Well, in fairness, not only does Walt Disney World not get a new attraction for 3 or 4 years (and we really ought to stop and think about that for a minute...), but what we're getting (Avatar) has never been accused of being the best fit thematically either.
The problem with WDW and their new attractions is.. not that they get new attractions.. but the fact that they need to cut left and right to "save costs" to build said attractions.
cut everything else.. and I bet 99% of the times.. these cuts are not restored when the new attraction is giving you dividends. ... and just passed as "productivity increase" to the top cows and CEO..

WDW1974

Original Poster
That said, I'm generally not comfortable with Sheryl Sandberg. Sounds like MT Carney all over again, but at least MyMagic+ will work!

Iger and the BoD have no interest (none) in Sandberg. There was a reason that was planted in Brooks' story ... much like the same company line that this is a two-horse race between Rasulo and Staggs. If either of them wind up heading the company, kiss any semblance of the company you knew goodbye. And since they'd keep on keeping on with the same bad business practices that has been SOP at Disney since the 90s, you could expect to see assets get sold off as the company tries to stay competitive at all costs. Maybe they'd have to sell Marvel to someone like UNI? :greedy::devilish::D

71jason

speaking of meet and greet.. there is a sure probability that there will be a meet and greet of Navi..
the question is.. how the hell they will do this? Animatronics?
just standing figures like the Cars one?
Normal guys painted blow with prosthetics?

Easiest would be stilt-walkers with some combination of prosthetics and/or body paint. Somewhat rare at WDW from what I can recall, but Universal uses them all the time (Transformers, Mardi Gras, Christmas), and they pop up at Sea World and Old Town as well.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hey...lay off the monkey.
I don't make fun of your emperor Stitch.:p

True enough. ... I'll only accept the monkey because it's what DD wants. And my Emperor Stitch cost about $1898 less than your fan.

Also, quite enjoyed Resurrection. I think it's gonna be a keeper.
It was, however, overshadowed by the sheer awesomeness of the True Detective finale.:jawdrop:

I truly hope you are right about Resurrection. The opening scene was as powerful as the opening scene of Lost and quite similar in feel.

I never started with True Detective. It is on my list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom