The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ParentsOf4

I thought the budget for the entire Fantasyland Expansion project was $400M. From what I could find online the estimate for Transformers is $100M.
Too high. Transformers came in at much less.

Total NFL budget was $425-450M but I can't speak for which pieces cost how much.

DW always has liked Transformers theming. She thinks the exterior is appropriate for a "back lot" and consistent with the movie itself.

It was as cheap as heck to build so I sometimes wonder if the exterior was an after-the-fact justification. Funny how all management thinks alike when it comes to budgets. :D

Hey, I wouldn't mind a few cheap clones being thrown in at WDW, stolen from other Disney parks.

Do I hear the sound of crickets chirping? :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Too high. Transformers came in at much less.

Total NFL budget was $425-450M but I can't speak for which pieces cost how much.

DW always has liked Transformers theming. She thinks the exterior is appropriate for a "back lot" and consistent with the movie itself.

It was as cheap as heck to build so I sometimes wonder if the exterior was an after-the-fact justification. Funny how all management thinks alike when it comes to budgets. :D

Hey, I wouldn't mind a few cheap clones being thrown in at WDW, stolen from other Disney parks.

I stand corrected now. If Transformers only cost $45M then I could see it costing somewhere in the same ballpark as Enchanted Tales. 10% of the total project budget seems about right. It is amazing that an elaborate ride like Transformers costs about the same as a meet and greet.

I think the reason they haven't cloned the other cheaper dark rides from DLR is they don't want the operating costs. It doesn't cost much to operate a meet and greet. MK doesn't have as much of a capacity problem as the other 3 but it could use a few more rides to spread out the crowds.

matt9112

The pictures of Tokyo's monorails look downright tacky. The Mickey-shaped windows, the Mickey-shaped rings to grab while the train is in motion, the decorating of every square inch of space.

The design looks busy, cluttered, and screams "Disney for the sake of Disney".

Which is funny to me, because that sounds a lot like WDW's modern-day design philosophy. (Character-ize everything, so that the guests know they're at Disney.)

I'd bet that the Tokyo trains smell better and operate more efficiently than WDW's, but I still strongly prefer the WDW design. And of course, even the WDW trains get cluttered with ads and character decals from time to time, because that's modern-day Disney for you.

so the cruise line that has hints of mickey everywhere and wins awards hand over fist must be tacky...i mean mickey shaped windows and trim in a Disney land....i like to see Disney everywhere...that's what makes WDW so special....the real world ends at the archway. go ride the MCO monorail back and fourth if you want plain Jane.

matt9112

I do not believe it is "too expensive" as much as it is the company has not figured out a way to monetize it.

its how companys work these days ROI, georgie was able to pitch MM+ increasing sales,inter park spending,hard ticket events increasing ect, a monorail can bring none of that....on paper.

edit let the flames of the fire reach even the highest castle towers.

Californian Elitist

I think the reason they haven't cloned the other cheaper dark rides from DLR is they don't want the operating costs. It doesn't cost much to operate a meet and greet. MK doesn't have as much of a capacity problem as the other 3 but it could use a few more rides to spread out the crowds.

I honestly don't think Disney is even thinking about putting Alice or Pinocchio anywhere right now. If rides are cloned, they're usually done within a fairly short time frame. Disneyland and Tokyo received Pinocchio going on thirty-one years ago. Paris got it nine years later. It's been thirty-one years... It doesn't seem like the idea of putting the ride elsewhere has come up many times. Alice has been a Disneyland exclusive for fifty-seven years. It looks like Disney is planning on keeping that one exclusive, like the Matterhorn, two of just a few DL attractions that have never been copied.

Last edited:

asianway

I stand corrected now. If Transformers only cost $45M then I could see it costing somewhere in the same ballpark as Enchanted Tales. 10% of the total project budget seems about right. It is amazing that an elaborate ride like Transformers costs about the same as a meet and greet.

On a per person basis meet n greets are ridiculously expensive to operate based on their throughput

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On a per person basis meet n greets are ridiculously expensive to operate based on their throughput

That seems contradictory to the idea that TDO is incredibly cheap and always looking to cut costs. If meet and greets were that expensive to operate and maintain they would be the first things cut. Instead they are being rapidly expanded.

Funmeister

I honestly don't Disney is even thinking about putting Alice or Pinocchio anywhere right now. If rides are cloned, they're usually done within a fairly short time frame. Disneyland and Tokyo received Pinocchio going on thirty-one years ago. Paris got it nine years later. It's been thirty-one years... It doesn't seem like the idea of putting the ride elsewhere has come up many times. Alice has been a Disneyland exclusive for fifty-seven years. It looks like Disney is planning on keeping that one exclusive, like the Matterhorn, two of just a few DL attractions that have never been copied.

The Matterhorn was supposed to be cloned. The footers are still behind "it's a small world." Confirmed by Dave Smith.

71jason

Afraid I'm with your wife on this one, I think it fits the urban look of the area and the aesthetics of the IP to a tee. Prefer the exterior to every other ride in the park but Mummy.

A Mr. Toad clone would have to be relatively cheap (it's 90% cutouts), would be a capacity-growing people-eater, and would buy more good will with the hard-core fans than anything short of re-opening the Adventurers Club.

Same goes for an Alice and/or Pinocchio clone, if perhaps to a lesser extent.

PhotoDave219

You are totally right. Even in a "love and shove" operating stance… You're figuring two people per minute at the most. Or two groups per minute…

Let's use Anna and Elsa as an example. They need me for 10 hours a day, from 11 to 9 at the moment. With an insane line. Let's assume that we are doing back-to-back sets as opposed to 20 minute breaks in there. Consider this devil to advocate… From a theoretical point of view.

So you are roughly seeing maybe 120 groups per hour. That's only 1200 people.... Assuming everything is operating at peak efficiency.

Let's go ahead and for the sake of reality and easy to do math, assume I thousand people is what's average for a 10 hour set there. That's 1/30th or less of Epcot's daily attendance. That's one hour of Soarin.

High demand and low capacity.

lazyboy97o

It will be INTERESTING to see how the Chinese Govt feels about that...
Probably not too much. With Hong Kong Disneyland being the model That means the park itself is being paid for by Disney and all of the land, infrastructure, transit, etc. is being paid for by Shanghai Shendi Group.

Captain Neo

$45 million makes more sense then. But it shows why using Orlando's Transformers as a reference point in conversation doesn't work very well. I doubt UNI will ever build a ride of that scale again, or that fast, for that much money, and in such a way.

What? Did you miss the part where EVERY universal project is coming in SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than any WDI project? It has gotten to the point that even OLC has gotten fed up with WDI's shady budgets. They threw a fit when they got the bill for cloning Toy Story Midway Mania in Disneysea and saw what they got for the money.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I honestly don't Disney is even thinking about putting Alice or Pinocchio anywhere right now. If rides are cloned, they're usually done within a fairly short time frame. Disneyland and Tokyo received Pinocchio going on thirty-one years ago. Paris got it nine years later. It's been thirty-one years... It doesn't seem like the idea of putting the ride elsewhere has come up many times. Alice has been a Disneyland exclusive for fifty-seven years. It looks like Disney is planning on keeping that one exclusive, like the Matterhorn, two of just a few DL attractions that have never been copied.
I don't think Disney is considering cloning those rides either. They would be a relatively cheap and easy clone if they were really interested in expanding ride capacity which they sadly are not. Matterhorn would be more challenging.

aladdin2007

Afraid I'm with your wife on this one, I think it fits the urban look of the area and the aesthetics of the IP to a tee. Prefer the exterior to every other ride in the park but Mummy.

A Mr. Toad clone would have to be relatively cheap (it's 90% cutouts), would be a capacity-growing people-eater, and would buy more good will with the hard-core fans than anything short of re-opening the Adventurers Club.

Same goes for an Alice and/or Pinocchio clone, if perhaps to a lesser extent.

I would still like to see Roger Rabbits Car Toon Spin at the Studios, perfect fit, and we all know how that park needs something that can move a lot of people through. Nevermind though fastpass would ruin it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom