The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just thought I'd throw this in here for the few of you who are discussing alternative sources of power generation at WDW.

This is from the 2/20 O'Sentinel, article by Kevin Spear:

Plant turns Disney food scraps into electricity

"The big truck tipped its load, and out gushed a bubbling slop of burger pieces, buns, onions, carrot peels, whole oranges, lettuce bits and much more that smelled as sour as it looked. Paul Sellew watched as if he were getting a gift.

"It's beautiful," he said.

Sellew founded Harvest Power Inc., which has started a factory at Walt Disney World that turns what's scraped off plates at restaurants into electricity and fertilizer."

Full article: O'Sentinel

Translation a methane digester, Dairy farms have used these for years

NearTheEars

I'll concede on the 2.5 billion number. I haven't seen a source cited on that either. When it first rolled out it was 1 billion then 1.5 then recently 2 and now 2.5 billion. Either it's an exaggeration or someone in upper management did not take budgeting 101.

Where I disagree though is the notion that the technology is an investment into the parks. That's how Disney is trying to spin it, but from experience first hand, I don't see how this adds any more to my experience in the parks. Can it make the trip smoother for families who enjoy planning? Sure. And can it facilitate all of the guests resources into one wristband. Of course. I understand you will wait to judge first hand, but as a loyal family to Disney we didn't find any of these new features to enhance our experience in the park.

If anything, we felt like MM+ was a resort investment not a park investment.

That's what I mean, the interpretation if the investment is rightfully up for debate.

For your family it does nothing for park experience. For the planners it might do a lot. For me and my DF...? We don't know yet.

stevehousse

Meanwhile... on Micechat... there are people hating on Disney for being so aggressive with refurbishments.

People are so short-sighted. I guess they can close it once it gets dilapidated enough that no one wants to ride anything.
As much as refurbishments are welcome, (especially at wdw when they often don't get the attention they need) I will say that DLs current list of ever changing rides and dates has been a major headache for anyone trying to travel there this spring...just make up your minds already...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If you build a Walmart...they will come.

twerk-disney-fail-butt.jpg

cheezbat

I love how WDW has raised their prices now FIVE TIMES since I got my last raise at my job.
Now if we were seeing some serious substantial E-tickets and other rides and shows added over that time, I could understand the increase. FLE just isn't enough to merit this kind of hike.

$94 for an Epcot park that has vacant buildings that once housed attractions and restaurants?
$94 for a Hollywood Studios park that needs a complete overhaul?
$94 for an Animal Kingdom park that hasn't added a big attraction in 8 years and isn't getting anything else new for another 3 1/2 years?

You're not worth the prices anymore. Haven't been for a few years now.
Give me a break Disney!

The Empress Lilly

If you build a Walmart...they will come.

twerk-disney-fail-butt.jpg

All theme parks the audience they deserve.

Sadly, these people will swamp the surveys and spending pattern stats. TWDC will cater to them. And because they have less taste and so consume more food and dumb merch than you do, they will be the crowd new investments are geared at, not to you and your learned opinion of themed environments based on years of study of script-driven architecture.

The Empress Lilly

Maybe they will project something onto this wall? Seems so strange to leave it blank.
My money's on something coming on that wall sometime soon. It looks simply unfinished.

Modern Disney design is many things, but it is not the art of restrained good taste. On the contrary, it is prop diarrhea. 'The more props, the more authentically themed the environement'.
Meanwhile, for all the baseball references and parafernalia Casey's looks nothing like a ('hyperreal idealised') early 20th century basebal hangout. It looks like a 21st century provincial baseball canteen with girlie heart-shaped chairs thrown in.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
My money's on something coming on that wall sometime soon. It looks simply unfinished.

Modern Disney design is many things, but it is not the art of restrained good taste. On the contrary, it is prop diarrhea. 'The more props, the more authentically themed the environement'.
Meanwhile, for all the baseball references and parafernalia Casey's looks nothing like a ('hyperreal idealised') early 20th century basebal hangout. It looks like a 21st century provincial baseball canteen with girlie heart-shaped chairs thrown in.

You mean like Prop Century?

ParentsOf4

Well we booked our room using dvc and guess what, NO parks this year. Its just not worth it. We have only missed Disney twice in the last 16yrs and that was when our kids were infints. This is the first time we will miss the parks because we just don't feel its worth the money.
After Disneyland discontinued a long-standing policy of honoring WDW tickets (yet another example of Disney focusing on picking up pennies), I cancelled my Disneyland trip out of pure frustration and instead used my DVC points to book a stay in a Grand Villa at WDW's beautiful Animal Kingdom Lodge with my DW, our teenagers, and their 6 closest friends. (By the way, I realize many don't like its location but Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House really is WDW's most gorgeous hotel.)

We are spending spring break on WDW property and not a single day planned at a WDW theme park.

Even today, I still enjoy WDW's water parks (where they don't have FastPass+) so, hey, we have a couple of days planned there. The rest will be spent at Universal. (Shy 1 day my DW and teenage girls head over to the outlet malls with my credit cards. :eek:)

I still have 28 days left on those "no expiration" park tickets I purchased back in 2005.

I'm sure I'll use at least a couple more when Avatar opens.

In 2017. :banghead:

Disney keeps trying to squeeze pennies out of me but all they really end up doing is losing my dollars.

Last edited:

Nemo14

After Disneyland discontinued a long-standing policy of honoring WDW tickets (yet another example of Disney focusing on picking up pennies), I cancelled my Disneyland trip out of pure frustration and instead used my DVC points to book a stay in a Grand Villa at WDW's beautiful Animal Kingdom Lodge with my DW, our teenagers, and their 6 closest friends. (By the way, I realize many don't like its location but Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House really is WDW's most gorgeous hotel.)

We are spending 6 nights on WDW property for spring break and not a single day planned at a WDW theme park.

Even today, I still enjoy WDW's water parks (where they don't have FastPass+) so, hey, we have a couple of days planned there. The rest will be spent at Universal. (Shy 1 day my DW and teenage girls head over to the outlet malls with my credit cards. :eek:)

I still have 28 days left on those "no expiration" park tickets I purchased back in 2005.

I'm sure I'll use at least a couple more when Avatar opens.

In 2017. :banghead:

Disney keeps trying to squeeze pennies out of me but all they really end up doing is losing my dollars.

We also have days left on the 10 day no-expiration hoppers that we bought a few years ago when they were affordable. We've been here in central Florida for about a month now, 10-12 minutes from WDW and have used exactly 1 day, and that was only because some dear friends of ours were visiting and really wanted to see DAK. We've taken other guests over to see WL or AKL, but won't be visiting the parks again 'til we feel it's worth our time. By then our ticket value will be roughly 10 times what we paid for it!

jmuboy

I'm keeping my promise to myself. No wdw until they earn my money. This is yet another step backwards. So after 4 years of skipping wdw year after year that trend will continue with visits to DL as needed when I want a theme park fix. But this year I've even decided no Disney park. I'm gonna get out and see the world. At 100 a day - you really gotta earn my attention!

The Empress Lilly

You mean like Prop Century?
Prop Century..awesome! :D

To me, Pop's oversized decoration is part fun, part a bit tacky. I don't hate it, and I am not enchanted by it. Is that however the best they could come up with when asked to design a 'cheap motel..but Disney themed'?

I had more Joe Rohdeism in mind. Get a Disney company credit card, visit every antique and garage sale in the country, buy a million props, empty them all out on stage. 'More is more' and all that.

Casey's looks like 2010's nostalgia. But the idea is to be part of baseball's early years, not to look at it from a nostalgic perpective. That will still just leave you an outsider, instead of making you part of that world you are nostalgic about. Disney should be more different from the baseball stadium museum or fan bar. And no, that Disney difference is not ''Disney sports cartoons' on the wall. Those undermine Casey's theme rather than strengthen it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom