The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The holiday inn has lights out too. This is the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa. The flagship resort of WDW, and that's how you want to present it aesthetically?

It doesn't matter if you don't stay there. We don't either. But it's another example that Disney just doesn't care about the little things anymore.

Exactly, It's not the lights themselves its the message they send.

Clamman73

That would be wonderful...but, for the time being, to allow them to get into that state is just bad operations.

I'm sure hotel management would blame maintenance, and then maintenance would complain about budgetary and manpower concerns...and while they are all fingerpointing, more bulbs blow out and they raise ticket prices.

See the ladders in that picture? That's to allow easy access for a maintenance person to all the levels of the roof. A light check once a week, or even once a month (though once a week would be better) is really all that is required.

Instead...it's just ignored. One or two lights, not a big deal, but that picture shows intentional ignorance or at best, laziness on their part.

I hear ya...I think they are sitting back and waiting for the LED technology to be reliable enough in the quantity they need to make the investment in the purchase amount of replacement lights of all of GF so that in the long run the expense will be worth it - seems every penny is counting nowadays...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The question becomes how do we discredit Mongello and Brigante, It's necessary to attack DIS social media strategy.

We don't. They are what they are. People with brains should be able to figure that out quickly.

You want to attack Disney through social media, you attack the Celebration Place crew that controls it ... either on their Blog or Twitter or, best yet, email and direct phone calls.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I hear ya...I think they are sitting back and waiting for the LED technology to be reliable enough in the quantity they need to make the investment in the purchase amount of replacement lights of all of GF so that in the long run the expense will be worth it - seems every penny is counting nowadays...
Right, and that's part of my point. You can't just let things degrade like that and "wait" until the next refurb. It seems to me that overnight daily PM just isn't as much a priority as it used to be.

I had, at the most, 8 animetronics, 60 some odd show lights and effects and 35 - 120 games that I had to maintain (or rather, my technician did), and I'd sit down with him every Monday morning and we would go through all the games and make notes on parts that were about to wear out, minor upgrades (like replacing metal speaker covers that like to get scuffed and dented with plastic ones that we designed and had a local shop produce for us), lights that needed replacing, general appearance and mechanics. The whole process was time consuming, taking about 2 hours, but then...throughout the week he'd fix all these things on scheduled PM days (if they weren't quick fixes we could do right then).

The point is...you don't wait until it's falling apart to fix it, because then it becomes REALLY expensive.

Think of it like a deck (and I know I'm preaching to the choir)...if you strip and reseal it every few seasons, it's going to last a lot longer, look a lot better, and cost a lot less than waiting for it to rot and then replacing it. Even if the replacement is plastic decking that requires less maintenance.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Bingo. If you start using that hashtag in conjunction with pics of, say, the filthy and falling apart interiors of monorails, or comments about "wal-marting" and people retweet/fav at a high enough level then when someone clicks on or searches that tag, those negative tweets are going to show up right along with promoted tweets. Disney can't do anything about that without it being obvious to those who can tell when tweets are being paid for or suppression is happening (see the 2012 filtering of the #NBCsucks or whatever it was that NBC somehow managed to get "scrubbed" and kept from showing as a trending tag during the London Olympics when folks weren't happy with how they were cutting and cobbling together events instead of showing full things live). That leaves them with two options; hope that the negative stuff doesn't last long/people ignore it, or they have to respond in some way/shape/form. Of course, in order for something like that to work, you have to be vocal, persistent, and have a large enough or very influential group using that method, but it is very doable.

Hashtag: Walmarting ... TDO knows very well how this has been used for years thanks to yours truly and they hate it.

Clamman73

Right, and that's part of my point. You can't just let things degrade like that and "wait" until the next refurb. It seems to me that overnight daily PM just isn't as much a priority as it used to be.

I had, at the most, 8 animetronics, 60 some odd show lights and effects and 35 - 120 games that I had to maintain (or rather, my technician did), and I'd sit down with him every Monday morning and we would go through all the games and make notes on parts that were about to wear out, minor upgrades (like replacing metal speaker covers that like to get scuffed and dented with plastic ones that we designed and had a local shop produce for us), lights that needed replacing, general appearance and mechanics. The whole process was time consuming, taking about 2 hours, but then...throughout the week he'd fix all these things on scheduled PM days (if they weren't quick fixes we could do right then).

The point is...you don't wait until it's falling apart to fix it, because then it becomes REALLY expensive.

Think of it like a deck (and I know I'm preaching to the choir)...if you strip and reseal it every few seasons, it's going to last a lot longer, look a lot better, and cost a lot less than waiting for it to rot and then replacing it. Even if the replacement is plastic decking that requires less maintenance.

Absolutely, you don't wait until it falls apart to fix it in WDW, but lately with a lot of things the opposite seems to be true...I hope that recent signs of increased refurbishment time is a change in the ways things are done in the future.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sadly, I don't think the "average park visitor" notices or cares about Disco Yeti. :(

Not anymore ... I was on PotC in October when the attraction went totally dead just as we entered the 'dunking the mayor' scene ... I swear there were boatloads of guests who were too dumb to get that the pirates were supposed to be moving and there should have been sound not dead silence.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We don't. They are what they are. People with brains should be able to figure that out quickly.

You want to attack Disney through social media, you attack the Celebration Place crew that controls it ... either on their Blog or Twitter or, best yet, email and direct phone calls.

The reason that the crowd Brigante and Mongello represent put up an image to people like my DSIL who think they have an 'inside track' and believe them when "Disney has never been Better", Then they actually go and are bitterly disappointed.

I have a special dark place in my heart for corporate shills who are paid to misrepresent a product.

KYWDW

We've become so passive and just settle for less that we tend to complain the same way too. Nothing beats a good phone call up the ladder. Yet we would rather tweet to our 35 followers we went to school with than pick up a phone. The company I work for scrambles to accommodate twice as fast if someone calls the boss. But Disney fans (including myself at times) tend to just ignore it to try and keep the magic alive. The magic is dying and we aren't helping.

ParentsOf4

So on the bright side the increase is still less than last year;)

MK up $4 to $99 or 4.2%
Other parks up $5 or 5.6%

Last year the base prices were up over 7%. I will be interested to see increases in the multi-day passes.
It's February.

WDW has raised ticket prices twice in one year several times. :(

Don't even begin to hope this is the last increase this year. :arghh:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom